Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Still laughing at "the water industry"

if you're into that particular school of comedy feel free to read this nytimes thing about "As Fresh Water Grows Scarcer, It Could Become a Good Investment" lol

quote:

Water is easy to take for granted. It falls from the sky, and, though it’s vital, we sometimes treat it as if it’s worthless. How often have you seen sprinklers running in the rain?

Yet the prospect of shortages in the years ahead could make water a precious commodity. That represents an opportunity for investors.

sounds enticing. yes, why don't people pay me for water really? do they think they need an app for it or something

quote:

Matthew C. Sheldon, senior portfolio manager for water strategy at KBI Global Investors in Boston, said, “Different investors come to water from different angles. Some are looking to dilute their other natural-resource exposures. Others are looking for an infrastructure play. Some have a strong interest in environmental, social and governance investing. Some just want a diversifier.”

eh? get it?

...you dilute your exposures, by buying water rights. eh?

quote:

But water wagers create ethical quandaries for some investors, said Monika J. Freyman, director for investor engagement, water, at Ceres, a Boston nonprofit. “Water’s needed for life itself,” she said. “So if you’re jacking up rates, you are going to run into social justice issues. Do you turn off a poor family’s water?”

kinda lame rhetoric question is that? course you do, or they'll never learn and pass on their parasitic thirst to their children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nobody cares if Rory Stewart is upset though, it's the general idea of what it's ok to mock, what kind of cruelty gets a pass, who's fair game for not meeting certain standards in society, that kind of thing. If you're already reluctant to make jokes about a woman's appearance even if she's rich and powerful and Tory as heck, then you already know this on some level! Remember when everyone thought it was ok to bully people with red hair because "gingers lol"

And a good joke can still be problematic, that's the kind where people go "oh poo poo" because it's offensive but it really works as a joke. You can still appreciate the humour without giving the attitudes a pass, it's a pick and choose your moments kind of thing, y'know?

I'm not telling anyone what they can say, it's just weird that people have this blind spot and think "oh the person I'm talking about won't see these comments or is bad so it doesn't matter" as though we don't live in a society

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

kecske posted:

does this extend to things like how mike gapes pronounces milk?

It should, yes. When Roy Hodgson was England manager there was a thing about some paper - probably everyone's favourite celestial rag - taking the piss out of his rhotacism.

E: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17942091

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Miftan posted:

You can make fun of superficial things that tory motherfuckers do like Rory's bizzare tilt or, as Guava likes to point out, the fact that Johnson looks like the soul of a victorian boy with trapped in the body of a middle aged used car salesman trapped in a loveless marriage. None of those things, imo, will be offensive to anybody except maybe used car salesmen? Like, put some effort into it instead of picking on things that other good sorts might have in common physically with these murdering fucks like bad teeth or how overweight they are.

I would say actually that I think clothes are fine to mock as they're a choice, same as pronouncing poo poo weird (Corbz says 'issues' wrong :colbert:), but physical characteristics are off limits imo
How can you be so right about this yet so wrong about chocolate oranges? :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you ever do meet rory stewart in person I encourage you to say the most horrible things you can think of to him, especially if he's the only one in earshot. But here you're only saying them to people who read UKMT.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
My mood took a hit today when I realised that Laura Kuenssberg is going to get away with doxxing a civilian to her million+ followers and there’s nothing that can be done about it. See, when people are squawking about Brexit - whether you’re for or against - this is the real battle, that the establishment will do everything it can to continue to keep people where they “belong”. No amount of Supreme Court arguments about decorum or English pride will change the fact we’re being hosed, and they’ll continue to gently caress us if we blather on about anything other than social change. Bah.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Hence why I went for the tony blair lizard grimace because I think that is extremely appropriate for Swinson given her politics.

I dunno, the grimace is a bit of a grey area for me because if that's just what they smile like, well, that's a bit off. On the other hand, the tory power stance is ridiculous bullshit BECAUSE they do it on purpose to appear strong and stable or whatever. None of us would make fun of someone who just stands like that regularly because of a medical condition or whatever (i hope)

Pilchenstein posted:

How can you be so right about this yet so wrong about chocolate oranges? :v:

in conclusion, miftan is a land of contrasts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pilchenstein posted:

For the record I don't think Rory Stewart looks particularly horselike, I was more having a go at him for being a oval office and having that "has only read about people in books" energy that tories tend to have but I understand that intent doesn't really matter if people took it as a dig at his appearance.

It was funny and I might actually listen to the podcasts now that I know it has lines like that.

It's a tricky thing because it's a very thin line between being a cruel shithead & being funny, but generally I trust the thread regulars enough to either know where the line is and not cross it or for someone to call out that it's lovely and explain why. Which is why I took issue with what I perceived as Rarity deciding it was a settled issue that there'd be no more of that.

But like I said previously I'm not at all consistent on this and am well aware I'm far more comfortable with making cracks about the appearance of men than about women so it's entirely possible I'm in the wrong here and will eventually regret my double standard but :shrug: for now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I still haven't listened to these drat podcasts and I bet there's another one on the way!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

You can make fun of superficial things that tory motherfuckers do like Rory's bizzare tilt or, as Guava likes to point out, the fact that Johnson looks like the soul of a victorian boy with trapped in the body of a middle aged used car salesman trapped in a loveless marriage. None of those things, imo, will be offensive to anybody except maybe used car salesmen? Like, put some effort into it instead of picking on things that other good sorts might have in common physically with these murdering fucks like bad teeth or how overweight they are.
Be fair, I said BMW salesman :v:

Big difference between being an Arthur Daley-wannabe conman and a hugely entitled Arthur Daley-wannabe conman.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

I dunno, the grimace is a bit of a grey area for me because if that's just what they smile like, well, that's a bit off. On the other hand, the tory power stance is ridiculous bullshit BECAUSE they do it on purpose to appear strong and stable or whatever. None of us would make fun of someone who just stands like that regularly because of a medical condition or whatever (i hope)

The only people I think I've ever seen it on are horrible right wing politicians who clearly can't actually feel human happiness any more so they just snarl at the camera.

Lots of people have weird smiles but the blair face is that particular combination of "I will loving kill and eat you you horrible worm" at the eyes unconvincingly backed up by baring their teeth at you.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

If we’re to avoid any insult based on appearance we need to strike ‘gammon’ and ‘thumb’ from our lexicon and frankly I’m not sure this thread is willing to make that sacrifice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I'd venture that "look at swinson's manky teeth lol" could be avoided and would improve things even if you don't strike gammon and thumb. It's not all or nothing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

But like I said previously I'm not at all consistent on this and am well aware I'm far more comfortable with making cracks about the appearance of men than about women so it's entirely possible I'm in the wrong here and will eventually regret my double standard but :shrug: for now.

Eh it's normal, and society is gradually getting away from that kind of thing, but there's still stuff that people feel is ok even though it's basically the same as the stuff that's recognised as pure bants innit. It's not fun to have to check yourself, but honestly this kind of thing is a bit poo poo if you think about it. Like I personally don't want to contribute to that, y'know?

While we're on it someone tell me why people like cum town. The two episodes I heard just had people saying slurs while the rest giggled, what the hell is that

Noxville posted:

If we’re to avoid any insult based on appearance we need to strike ‘gammon’ and ‘thumb’ from our lexicon and frankly I’m not sure this thread is willing to make that sacrifice.

The gammon is inside you, friend! Full gammon hearts

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Noxville posted:

Gammon isn't soley about how they go red, but that they go red lusting for nuclear death of innocents and as such is not an appearance based insult :colbert:

OwlFancier posted:

The only people I think I've ever seen it on are horrible right wing politicians who clearly can't actually feel human happiness any more so they just snarl at the camera.

Lots of people have weird smiles but the blair face is that particular combination of "I will loving kill and eat you you horrible worm" at the eyes unconvincingly backed up by baring their teeth at you.

Yeah I can see that, hence grey area. I tend to agree with you but I'll defer if someone thinks otherwise. It's one of those things where I have no problem making GBS threads on Blair for it but Swinson seems off. Maybe it's because i'm more comfortable making GBS threads on men's appearance than women's, but I shouldn't do that either and it's something i'm working on.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Your opinion of someone will change how they look to you.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

coffeetable posted:

also holy loly @ the idea of this thread full of dayposting goons having a leg to stand on when it comes to appearance

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Miftan posted:

I would say actually that I think clothes are fine to mock as they're a choice, same as pronouncing poo poo weird (Corbz says 'issues' wrong :colbert:), but physical characteristics are off limits imo

How does he pronounce issue?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Swinson could get her teeth fixed. As far as I'm aware there's no cure for gammon.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

forkboy84 posted:

Lets be fair, you had the debate while most everyone else stayed out of it or pointed out it's really loving lame decorum liberalism. It certainly wasn't settled.

Let's actually be fair, Rarity made consistent and coherent arguments and a couple of y'all responded with what amounts to either "I don't care; they're Tories" without addressing the core point she was making and trying to make it sound like Rarity's really going to bat for Tories and not, you know, the implications and knockon effects it might have, or with "I don't care, it's funny" which, okay, fine, can't really argue with that if that's your position, or just with "I don't care, they DO look weird!" and again not engaging with the point.

I mean I get it. It's easy to land these blows. It doesn't feel great and/or praxis to be holding back when you're talking about tory scum and it can be satisfying to cap off a legitimate rant with something about how Gove looks or whatever. I've done it too and I'll do it in the future when I don't catch myself. But the point is very obviously that using someone's looks to attack them has implications beyond that person. Not a single person in here is going to give a poo poo if Rory Stewart reads your posts and feels hurt by your attacks on his looks, but you're framing it as if Rarity's gone Maximum HRC and demanded when they go low we go high, and you've got the nerve to claim it's "decorum liberlism" when it was never loving about decorum or being nice to/about your opponents at all.

In short, Rarity is right, and I'm trying to stop using appearances as an insult because her arguments have been convincing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

and again respectfully, i don't think this is a very good argument either. i think the logical conclusion would be that only attractive people are allowed to critique other's on that merit and that seems to be actively counter to the point you're trying to make?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So as I said I agree on the appearance/people things can't change thing but where do we stand on Rory Stewart (and others)' demeanor and air of superiority being criticisable?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Miftan posted:

wait, is corbs one of those weird deviants who says "issyous"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

What was the word May always used to say wrong? It was a similar thing where it was an "ss" sound becoming a soft "sh" or not. It was a multi-syllable word she said all the time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/1173910067185356801

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm just not personally convinced that there are these loads of lurkers who are hurt by the posts where people make fun of bojos melting face, which seems to be the crux of the argument

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And in December she'll be in Beijing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Liz Truss' magic umbrella manifests British weather wherever she opens it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Always take the shitstorm with you, everywhere you goooo..

Get the gently caress out of my second home before you ruin that too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I'm just not personally convinced that there are these loads of lurkers who are hurt by the posts where people make fun of bojos melting face, which seems to be the crux of the argument

So it's ok if it's just a few lurkers I take it? Or even if it's just one? How many people do we have to upset before it becomes unacceptable?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Hentai Jihadist posted:

You're like the poster child for "si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses" in this thread, aren't you?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hentai Jihadist posted:

My teeth are terrible for reasons and every time the topic of "lol they have terrible teeth" comes up in any context I've got a little niggling reminder of "remember, no matter the situation, no big smiles". I say this not as a "oh woe is me, never speak of teeth on my behalf" but as a confirmation of yeah there's actually people affected, and frequently they won't say anything about it because it's already been beat into them from all directions that "well, that's your fault for having something about you that's mockable, innit?"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Rarity posted:

How many people do we have to upset before it becomes unacceptable?

Genuinely an interesting question on a philosophical level. I'd love an answer

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

The British spirit: bringing misery wherever it goes, also Nandos

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Rust Martialis posted:

You're like the poster child for "si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses" in this thread, aren't you?

Is that posh for :justpost:?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Maybe it's because i'm more comfortable making GBS threads on men's appearance than women's, but I shouldn't do that either and it's something i'm working on.
Personally I think men don't get the same appearance based dismissal in society, so as long as you aren't criticizing them for looking too feminine/gay/black/differently abled/scruffy or whatever, which is how the male image is unfairly judged, then you have more leeway.

Like I don't think saying that Tommy Robinson looks like someone off EastEnders if the Nazis had won is unfair.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

NtotheTC posted:

Genuinely an interesting question on a philosophical level. I'd love an answer

* in extreme utilitarian * exactly 5% of the sample group

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Staying quiet about harmful speech is enabling - it tells people it is okay to say poo poo that should be called out. It just shows how shallow some people who post here are frankly, for all the glib talk about left politics in this thread.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
can't unsee her being chased by a giant octagonal flag. something about the way it looms behind her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

Personally I think men don't get the same appearance based dismissal in society