Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its so you can't go apply at the company itself and prevent the recruiter from getting their fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

dc3k posted:

why do recruiters give me no information on what the company is or does and a paragraph about investors and where they used to work. what the hell do I care about any of that?
investor story time is partially premised on the belief that the investors have unique skills

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

investor story time is partially premised on the belief that the investors have unique skills

that skill being the ability to write 7 figure checks that don't bounce

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Send bobs and vashee

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

dc3k posted:

why do recruiters give me no information on what the company is or does and a paragraph about investors and where they used to work. what the hell do I care about any of that?

because it's startup bullshit and as soon as you hear the pitch you'll want to walk away

they want to be in the room with you to really sell it hard, because it's stupid

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dc3k posted:

How the gently caress do you go to Harvard and still end up being a cold-mailing recruiter?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

How the gently caress do you go to Harvard and still end up being a cold-mailing recruiter?

harvard extension school.

PM at dropbox is actually more curious

maybe he lost all his money on ethereum

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

someone has to graduate bottom of the class

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

someone has to graduate bottom of the class

It's like the old joke: "What do you call the guy who graduates last in his Medical School class?" "Doctor"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dc3k posted:

The theory that they pick startup winners and thus your stock options will be worth :20bux:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

that skill being the ability to write 7 figure checks that don't bounce
did i say lp?

feedmegin posted:

The theory that they pick startup winners and thus your stock options will be worth :20bux:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

unlike the VCs you are not going to work 10 jobs simultaneously and be perfectly happy if 9 of them tank

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ask if you can trade your stock options in that one specific startup for a spread of options in every startup those same vcs are funding

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

ask if you can trade your stock options in that one specific startup for a spread of options in every startup those same vcs are funding

the answer is "no" for obvious reasons

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jabor posted:

isn't this only possible if you have a net worth of at least 4mil usd or whatever the cutoff is for "accredited investor"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

isn't this only possible if you have a net worth of at least 4mil usd or whatever the cutoff is for "accredited investor"

this is not the obvious reason

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
let me lay this out for you

assuming that 90% of vc funded firms fail, the vc funders are expecting to pay out on less than 1% of the options issued to employees

• most of the options issued will be at the "winning" firms (because they last longer)
  • most of the options will never vest
  • turnover reduces vesting, which is good for the folks issuing the options
  • "loser" firms will have less issuance and less vesting

and even after all that, they'll be paid out after everyone else in the cap table gets paid

they offer you options instead of cash because the expected value of $1 in options is like, three cents

offering you a complex bucket of options, or an option on a complex bucket, would drastically increase their costs. it would basically just be a "class B" share in their investor pool

also can you imagine the legal maneuvers required to continue cheating employees out of any gain when there are options on buckets, or buckets of options?

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 18, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
when a publicly held company offers you stock options or stock grants, it costs them "real" money in their accounting, under gaap principles. handing you out $50 in stock looks almost exactly like handing you $50 in cash, on their books

the reason they do it is to increase your level of engagement with the company and its goals

--------------------------------

when a privately held company offers you stock options, it costs them $0. the strike price is higher than the actual value of the share. the value on paper is $0. it creates a "liability" of sorts, in the cap table, but it costs them nothing as a matter of continued operations. they don't give a gently caress about gaap, because there is no one looking at the books anyway

the reason they do it is that they think you are stupid enough to work for magic beans

--------------------------------

see the difference?

BlackTie
Oct 23, 2008
Just to change the conversation from startups to established places. I applied for a staff position as a technician at my place of work late last year, and got through a video interview and a final interview with a presentation, practical and written tests, and a board. Didn't get the job but I was still happy that I got that far (there were 200 applicants) and anyways the position was mostly just laying cable and I still had a long time till my contract ended, so no big deal. I got really good feedback and was encouraged to continue my studies.

I got a call a couple of months ago that there was a post that I might be a good fit for, so I applied for it. I was asked to do the video interview just three days later and did the final interview a few days ago. I just learned that I got the job, so I'll be studying online while working for the near future.

This is great, since my horizon was just one year up until last week, and now I can make plans for at least 5. I'll be a technical engineer in a world class scientific organisation with cutting edge tech. Good tax-free salary as well.

:toot:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/DanMentos/status/1174026663069224960

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Its cool though he gave him new ones.

Not the SAME ones, i.e they weren't resurrected, just replacement ones that were fine

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

OT god is a total loving rear end in a top hat, any wonder repubs love him so much

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019

Public companies, like private ones, use options to make investors pay for employee comp. The true difference between private companies and public companies is that private companies funded by VC or PE are run by investors seeking short term realized gains and public companies are run by managers who want investors to buy their stock but not tell them what to do and have no timeline. For big tech, no one cares about this transfer while the stock price is going up.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm wayyyyyyy out of practice for interviewing and the non-technical stuff is really throwing me for a loop

always be interviewing y'all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

2013 lurker rereg posted:

Public companies, like private ones, use options to make investors pay for employee comp.

that's hugely deceptive

i mean it is true in the sense that "the investors" are the ultimate payers of all corporate expenses, but it's not true that the private and public situation are similar

a public company has to mark its expenditures on stock/option grants down exactly the same way it has to mark its spending on salary. it hurts their balance sheet.

as an example, twitter is obliged to report losses every year, because their stock grants to employees count as losses

a private company ... isn't subject to that problem, because accounting is a private matter, with no objective standards applied.

and, of course, even by an objective standard, the cost of options issued is literally $0, even if you were to apply GAAP, because the strike price of the option is higher than the real-life value of the stock (i.e. strike ~= par value, and par value is notional)

The true difference between private companies and public companies is that private companies funded by VC or PE are run by investors seeking short term realized gains and public companies are run by managers who want investors to buy their stock but not tell them what to do and have no timeline. For big tech, no one cares about this transfer while the stock price is going up.

this is just blithering nonsense and i have no comments

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 18, 2019

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"We have discussed your background and qualifications and found that your skill set was not an exact fit for this particular position."

ah well good luck finding that one perfect peg then

(the interview seemed to go well and i don't remember any discussion of particular skills outside of PL skills that I have)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 18, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If they thought you were good at what you do but thought what you do was not what they are looking for, they shouldn't have wasted your time by inviting you on site. Or maybe it's just copout feedback and for whatever other reason they didn't want to hire you.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

"We have discussed your background and qualifications and found that your skill set was not an exact fit for this particular position."

ah well good luck finding that one perfect peg then

(the interview seemed to go well and i don't remember any discussion of particular skills outside of PL skills that I have)

that just means "no"

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

tak fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 11, 2019

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019

I may not have been clear enough. Net income is gaap rev rec, cash flow is actually paying for things. When companies pay payroll, they do it with their cash. When they pay out options, they do it by diluting the shares of investors--using investor cash by devaluing their shares, without pulling a cent out of the company bank account. The FTs blog might explain this better: https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/05/02/1525233601000/Free-cash-flow-to-whom-/

Very little about public company behavior should be motivated by gaap rev rec, since valuation is still cash flow driven for publics, and it's far from the same to pay out cash as it is to pay out someone else's cash.

Particularly for big tech, weak corporate governance and bubbly markets are what enables the current trend in stock based compensation. There's a reason you only see big RSUs at big tech, and it's not just because traditional companies are assholes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I may not have been clear enough. Net income is gaap rev rec, cash flow is actually paying for things. When companies pay payroll, they do it with their cash. When they pay out options, they do it by diluting the shares of investors--using investor cash by devaluing their shares, without pulling a cent out of the company bank account. The FTs blog might explain this better: https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/05/02/1525233601000/Free-cash-flow-to-whom-/

Very little about public company behavior should be motivated by gaap rev rec, since valuation is still cash flow driven for publics, and it's far from the same to pay out cash as it is to pay out someone else's cash.

Particularly for big tech, weak corporate governance and bubbly markets are what enables the current trend in stock based compensation. There's a reason you only see big RSUs at big tech, and it's not just because traditional companies are assholes.

the article you link to has almost exactly the opposite thesis that you proposed. it explains how non-GAAP figures can benefit from share issuance as opposed to salary. when you come down to GAAP accounting, that benefit is totally lost. it is only a matter of cash flow accounting

if you think you can win with public investors based on cash flow accounting instead of gaap, i have a very nice bridge to sell you. for an object lesson, see twitter.

for private firms it's even dumber, because the shares themselves have no real value -- only a par value -- so the options are valueless. an option on illiquid stock, with a totally arbitrary stock price. whoopdie fuckin do. literal magic beans.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the article you link to has almost exactly the opposite thesis that you proposed. it explains how non-GAAP figures can benefit from share issuance as opposed to salary. when you come down to GAAP accounting, that benefit is totally lost. it is only a matter of cash flow accounting

if you think you can win with public investors based on cash flow accounting instead of gaap, i have a very nice bridge to sell you. for an object lesson, see twitter.

for private firms it's even dumber, because the shares themselves have no real value -- only a par value -- so the options are valueless. an option on illiquid stock, with a totally arbitrary stock price. whoopdie fuckin do. literal magic beans.

YOSPOS, bitch!

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019

Companies aren't valued based on GAAP net income. CAPM is nearly old enough to retire and is fully baked into valuations. It might not hurt to be less condescending when misexplaining domains that are outside of your expertise.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Companies aren't valued based on GAAP net income. CAPM is nearly old enough to retire and is fully baked into valuations. It might not hurt to be less condescending when misexplaining domains that are outside of your expertise.

yeah, no

we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one

perhaps you would be interested in investing in twitter

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

dc3k posted:

last job I got through a recruiter. he emailed me, I said "where in the city is it and what does it pay" and got a name, address, and salary numbers within an hour. it was so refreshing.

I actually liked that dude, he's probably the only recruiter I worked with who improved the job hunting experience.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Normally I don't name and shame, but this just came in:

quote:

Client: Disney

Linux Admin (L-3) (Back Fill Position)

TP/FTE: Contract

Visa: USC, GC

Detailed JD:

Administration of RHEL 5.x/6.x/7,Ubuntu 12/14/16 and Windows 2008/2012 & R2/2016 Servers which includes installations, configurations, testing, upgrading and loading patches, troubleshooting server issues.

Responsible for handling tasks in RedHat Linux includes upgrading RPMS using YUM, kernel, HBA driver, Configure SAN Disks, Multipathing and LVM file system.

Responsible for managing NetApp filers by creating volumes on raid groups and aggregates and sharing to Windows and UNIX servers using CIFS & NFS.

Responsible for building cloud infrastructure for different applications using ECS and Elastic beanstalk services in AWS and automating using Terraform.

Responsible in Managing User accounts, Swap memory, security, disk space, and process monitoring in Linux and Windows environment

Created templates and deployed Virtual machines through template, cloning Virtual machines under VMware ESX and ESXI Servers.

Designing and implementing fully automated server build, management, monitoring and deployment solutions spanning multiple platforms, tools and technologies including puppet,ansible and python sdk.

Responsible for application and hardware resource monitoring using nagios,datadog. Writing custom plugins in Nagios,datadog to monitor resources.Also configuring alerts for the checks and sending alerts to respective teams

Automated Cloud infrastructure provisioning using ansible and also bootstrapping middleware tools installations like Tomcat App Server,java,nagios and some other tools.

Configured and maintained user accounts for dev, QA, and production teams and created roles for EC2, RDS, S3,EBS resources to communicate with each other using IAM.

Deployed different applications to respective environments using Elastic beanstalk in aws.

Responsible for developing custom dashboards using Dashing framework which displays hosts details, storage availability and system uptime. Also tracks the change in storage for certain days.

Built a knowledge tool Mediawiki which runs on tomcat for our team.

Apart with these duties, Responsible for working on multiple projects.

Documented various administrative tasks and backup procedures on to company wiki tool.

Required Skills:

Operating Systems Linux Redhat 5.x/6.x/7,Ubuntu, Windows 2008/2012,Sun Solaries 9,10,11

Virtualization VMware ESX/ESXI, AWS, Docker, Vagrant

Automation Tools Puppet, Chef, Ansible

Shell scripting, Python, Perl,C++,HTML,PHP, Java script, Apache, Tomcat

Networking NIS,NFS DNS and Firewalls

Protocals TCP/IP,FTP,SSH,SFTP,SCP,SSL,DHCP and POP3

Database mysql, postgress,oracle,mssql

Veritas NetBackup 5.1,Cisco UCS, Switches, HP , IBM HS22,HS12,LS22 Blade Center.

Minimum Qualifications required to perform these job duties:

Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Masters degree in Computer Science or any equivalent degree.

Experience working in agile development methodologies.

Good communication skills; Written and verbal.

Ability to implement new technologies with limited supervision.

Guess the max on the range!
$65/hr on c2c otherwise depend on experience

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I know a few people that previously worked at Disney and they advised me to stay away

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PokeJoe posted:

I know a few people that previously worked at Disney and they advised me to stay away
Does Disney have a proper "engineering" culture at all? Most of their big tech things seem to be acquisitions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

Normally I don't name and shame, but this just came in:

Guess the max on the range!
$65/hr on c2c otherwise depend on experience

Responsible for: doing the job of 9 separate people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ShadowHawk posted:

Does Disney have a proper "engineering" culture at all? Most of their big tech things seem to be acquisitions.

Yeah but it's very much hire you as a contractor for a project and lay you off when it's done. They do stuff like apps for Disneyland and such, at least out here.