Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

I wasn't aware that Suncoast went through to find the magic sauce resistor LEDs that will work, but that's not terribly surprising I suppose. Still seems like much ado over very little benefit. Especially when you have some porsche housings that will fog in some climates without the heat of an incandescent to drive the moisture out. (yes, this is documented, by Porsche)

Shouldn’t the resistor produce the same heat as what the bulb would?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

McMadCow posted:

You mean as in next August because this August just ended 17 days ago? Sadly, I can't do that because just like every other person in the Bay Area with a career in the Arts, I'm leaving. The car has to go before then. :(

That's too bad. I'm in the market for something exactly like that. I could tap on family to keep it in their driveway for a year, but that's a big ask. :(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

McMadCow posted:

4-1/2 years later and my Boxster is up for sale in the Bay Area. :(
Up-to-date on nearly everything, the car has been well-taken care of but also worked like the sports car it is (lots of AutoX with the local PCA). Needs a new rear glass sewn in and I don't want to DIY that so the price reflects that at $4.5K. I could probably do a little better if a Goon or a friend-of-Goon was interested.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/oakland-1999-porsche-boxster-forest/6979605007.html

EDIT:

Dang that's tempting. Also, quite the knob you got there.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Russian Bear posted:

Dang that's tempting. Also, quite the knob you got there.

It's called the "Billy Club". It's delrin and it's AWESOME.
The Boxster's shifter pulls two cables, which lets you micro-adjust the position of the gate. I have mine pulled over to the left. Between that and the bigass shifter, I can get off the wheel and shift at a super close distance. I did a custom shifter like that on my old '74 BMW 2002 as well. I like a tall, close shift! v:shobon:v

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

meatpimp posted:

That's too bad. I'm in the market for something exactly like that. I could tap on family to keep it in their driveway for a year, but that's a big ask. :(

As much as I'd love love love to sell it to an AI Goon, letting an M96 engine sit for a year is like inviting an IMS failure. Even though mine is the "safe" engine with the double row bearing.
You'd want to do a clutch/IMS job the moment you got there next August.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

McMadCow posted:

As much as I'd love love love to sell it to an AI Goon, letting an M96 engine sit for a year is like inviting an IMS failure. Even though mine is the "safe" engine with the double row bearing.

I.....uh.

It may be the scotch talking, but I live in the South Bay and have space to host a car for a year. And, uh, would not have a problem taking it out for a spin every so often to make sure the IMS bearing doesn't start having problems.

I'm sure there's a bunch of issues related to this idea that I'm ignoring at the moment, not least the question of what would happen if the car were to develop an issue between me receiving it and meatpimp picking it up, but, um, I guess PM me and/or meatpimp and we'll talk?

This is going to end badly. Good news for everyone else though, you can enjoy the drama!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

McMadCow posted:

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I.....uh.

It may be the scotch talking, but I live in the South Bay and have space to host a car for a year. And, uh, would not have a problem taking it out for a spin every so often to make sure the IMS bearing doesn't start having problems.

I'm sure there's a bunch of issues related to this idea that I'm ignoring at the moment, not least the question of what would happen if the car were to develop an issue between me receiving it and meatpimp picking it up, but, um, I guess PM me and/or meatpimp and we'll talk?

This is going to end badly. Good news for everyone else though, you can enjoy the drama!

I think this is one to file under "good idea, bad timing." I'd love an old Porsche that I could drive the balls off routinely and not worry about affecting its garage queen status. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, there's a big country in between and my availability to find 4 contiguous days to fly and drive back is just too tight.

Someone buy this already and put me out of my misery.

I'd lose the horsecock shifter, though. :D

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
If you still have it in December I'll be in Oakland for work, would be a fun trip back to NY

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

MomJeans420 posted:

Friend of a friend finally finished what's basically his version of a Singer. I don't think all the info is in one spot, but there's details of the build here, then pictures of the finished product on his Instagram.

Everything is great but is he going to replace the hood? His hood doesn't have a hole for the fuel filler.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

Everything is great but is he going to replace the hood? His hood doesn't have a hole for the fuel filler.

It did in the initial build pics, but it looks like not in the end - which is all for the better because it looked like poo poo and you can just open the frunk to fill it.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 19, 2019

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Voltage posted:

If you still have it in December I'll be in Oakland for work, would be a fun trip back to NY

It certainly would be exciting to drive cross country in December in a mid-engine RWD sports car with summer tires! ALL SALES FINAL! :haw:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MomJeans420 posted:

Friend of a friend finally finished what's basically his version of a Singer. I don't think all the info is in one spot, but there's details of the build here, then pictures of the finished product on his Instagram.

Dare I ask how much?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I believe it was ~$400k or a little less, but don't quote me on that. It's already sold, but he'll be making more of them.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Well, the Boxster sold. First person who saw it, actually. Bah, mixed feelings here. Hold me, Goons. :(

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Just joined the club, picked up a 2014 base model Cayman (PDK) on Monday. Did my first autocross in it yesterday, such a fantastic car.

Rakekniven fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 29, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rakekniven posted:

Just joined the club, picked up a 2014 base model Cayman (PDK) on Monday. Did my first autocross in it yesterday, such a fantastic car.

Shame about the improperly aligned crest on the front wheel.

Honestly, though, gorgeous car.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Rakekniven posted:

Congratulations! I suggest getting an alignment as soon as you can; my 987 was pretty sensitive to that. I liked max camber (1.5 degrees ish) and a bit of toe out on the fronts

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Funny I just read this article a few hours earlier today...

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-has-a-very-specific-official-way-of-aligning-th-1838539888

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Now I'm going to have to check this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Same. If they'd never have mentioned it, nobody ever would have paid attention. Now it's been highlighted and is an immediate point of mockery. The best part is that those caps often aren't super tight, so they move a bit in normal driving. So the solution will be to stick a dot of RTV on the inside of the hub hole to keep it from rotating.

So many words about pointing your crest towards the valve stem.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

See, I purposefully don't do this to show that I am a chill and relaxed Porsche owner.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Bore scoring and shavings in the oil sound like a run, not a walk, but maybe someone can talk me into it?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/salem-porsche-911/6990706806.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

Bore scoring and shavings in the oil sound like a run, not a walk, but maybe someone can talk me into it?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/salem-porsche-911/6990706806.html

Well if you are going to have a failed 911 engine this is the cheapest one to fix if is hasn't been ruining the rest of the block. Disassemble engine, machine away cylinder walls, insert new cylinder walls, reassemble engine.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Now I’m noticing this everywhere. I hate you guys

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I was talking to my dealer the other day, and mentioned I was interested in moving over to a Porsche

He put me in touch with the General Manager of the local dealership, who invited me to a private VIP event on Friday

#1 is that just smoke and mirrors to lure me in, I mean I know it is but does Porsche actually do Private VIP events, or can anyone just show up and get the same deals? I guess I do feel a little special

#2 what should I test drive that I have no hope in buying?

#3 should I leave my wallet at home?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Blue On Blue posted:

So I was talking to my dealer the other day, and mentioned I was interested in moving over to a Porsche

He put me in touch with the General Manager of the local dealership, who invited me to a private VIP event on Friday

#1 is that just smoke and mirrors to lure me in, I mean I know it is but does Porsche actually do Private VIP events, or can anyone just show up and get the same deals? I guess I do feel a little special

#2 what should I test drive that I have no hope in buying?

#3 should I leave my wallet at home?

I don’t know what a “private vip event” entails, but our local dealer sends out emails about launches, events, etc a few times a year. I’ve never actually been but i think it’s just the chance to eat mediocre food around a new cayenne/911/etc.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Go, drive cars, pretend you have a lot of money and you’re totally gonna buy this turbo, give them a fake phone number, and run away. They’re not going to pressure you to buy at the event, though they are hoping the euphoria of driving these cars is going to make you lightheaded and commit to buying one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Management posted:

Go, drive cars, pretend you have a lot of money and you’re totally gonna buy this turbo, give them a fake phone number, and run away. They’re not going to pressure you to buy at the event, though they are hoping the euphoria of driving these cars is going to make you lightheaded and commit to buying one.

20% of the time, it works every time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://youtu.be/gj1eundT_RE

959 and gt2rs vid

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well the event they invited me to was a "Welcome to Porsche" , basically a campaign they have going to get new people into the brand

Unfortunately the 2 cars I wanted to test drive were smack in the middle of the showroom floor and unable to be moved , so kind of dampened the spirit

I've arranged to come back next week and give them a spin though

Thoughts for the porsche goons , as I know the brand is VERY loyal and divided on this aspect

981 Cayman S
Vs
718 Cayman S
Vs

I'm told 718 beats the 981 in every aspect aside from exhaust note and engine sound , due to the loss of 2 cylinders

I'm still very much interested in a 911 , but to ease myself and my wallet into the brand, the 718 seems like a hell of an entry level car , but I also dont want to sound like a civic with a fart can all the time

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I would stick to a flat 6 as much as possible. The dyno curves aren't _that_ different:

Though the torque falloff past 4k (from a much peakier torque figure) would be disappointing. The 6 is a nice flexible motor and I think that's part of the charm.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
There’s this cool cam transition for the NA engines at 4500rpm where the engine takes on a metallic note and screams to redline. I have always loved that character. My friend let me drive his 991.2 and though it was capable it was missing precisely that jekyll/hyde thing and so I’ve never felt the urge to get a forced induction Porker

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Blue On Blue posted:

Well the event they invited me to was a "Welcome to Porsche" , basically a campaign they have going to get new people into the brand

Unfortunately the 2 cars I wanted to test drive were smack in the middle of the showroom floor and unable to be moved , so kind of dampened the spirit

I've arranged to come back next week and give them a spin though

Thoughts for the porsche goons , as I know the brand is VERY loyal and divided on this aspect

981 Cayman S
Vs
718 Cayman S
Vs

I'm told 718 beats the 981 in every aspect aside from exhaust note and engine sound , due to the loss of 2 cylinders

I'm still very much interested in a 911 , but to ease myself and my wallet into the brand, the 718 seems like a hell of an entry level car , but I also dont want to sound like a civic with a fart can all the time

My decision to get a 981 came down to the fact that while the 718 may be better on paper, buying a Cayman isn't actually a practical decision. There is something magical about the flat-6 engines, and I'll happily give up some 0-60 bragging rights for the car I felt more connected with.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Rakekniven posted:

My decision to get a 981 came down to the fact that while the 718 may be better on paper, buying a Cayman isn't actually a practical decision. There is something magical about the flat-6 engines, and I'll happily give up some 0-60 bragging rights for the car I felt more connected with.

I've asked them to line up a 981 as well as the 718, so I can test them back to back at the same time and see which one comes out on top

The 718 is also potentially a hell of a deal, since it has sat at the dealership since it was ordered, used as a service loaner, and only has 2,500km on it. Plus being almost 2 years old now with unknown levels of abuse I am pretty confident I can talk them down to a price I am happy with

We shall see!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone see that new Porsche Passport thing? If you were going to lease anyway it doesn't seem like too bad of a deal

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone see that new Porsche Passport thing? If you were going to lease anyway it doesn't seem like too bad of a deal

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/porsches-us3100-a-month-subscription-service-is-coming-to-canada

A loving lot

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

Not sure how $3100 / month for a base Macan seems like not too bad of a deal.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I guess if you're in a place to be able to just throw money at them and drive a new car every day/week/month why not

But $3100/month is almost 40k a year

Even if you drove the most expensive car available at the 3100 price point would you ever even out after 2-3 years versus just leasing it the regular way?

Probably not

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

Not sure how $3100 / month for a base Macan seems like not too bad of a deal.
*$2100
*Macan S

Insurance is included, as are unlimited swaps, and 2000mi/month with rollover.

The point is to swap cars though. Point heard. Just thought it could be a neat program if you like flipping between cars.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cripes, I have enough struggle with cars being depreciating assets at all... I can't wrap my head around $40,000 per year with nothing to show for it after the year. poo poo, you put that much money away for 3 years and at the end of the 3 years, those cars you were paying to rent will have depreciated enough to have 2 or 3 of them in your garage permanently.