Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Iksar are cool and good but I don't really care for the Cabilis starting experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

what FOB -> kurn's is awesome, especially as a necro/sk

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Relayer posted:

I prefer less xp per mob but having a cozy secluded spot with lots of spawns VS waiting forever on a list to get a highly contested xp camp that might not even actually be faster when you factor in the wait time and lack of alive mobs

Considering this (HHK basement) is a one-camp spot, you shouldn't ever have contested spawns.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

retpocileh posted:

There's no way anything beats innate regen for necro, iksar all the way. Too bad they look like poo poo.

green is not going to start with kunark so i dunno man

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Considering this (HHK basement) is a one-camp spot, you shouldn't ever have contested spawns.
It will be split into 2-4 camps on green: http://wiki.project1999.com/Rulings#High_Keep_Basement:_Up_to_four_camps

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I mean, it was nearly always 3 camps on my server on live, so...

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Rogean says they're working on something for red players: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2963837

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I mean, it was nearly always 3 camps on my server on live, so...

Yeah it being one camp on blue was always weird. I remember going there back in the day and it was packed with players at every spawn.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Sankis posted:

Yeah it being one camp on blue was always weird. I remember going there back in the day and it was packed with players at every spawn.

Same. I never understood it being one camp on blue as the level differences between entrance goblins and the ones deeper in is like 10 levels.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man i was so confused since i didn't remember that area well. i thought it was one camp as in one spawn (you know like orc 1 or 2 in EC are each one camp) and they were coding it to spawn four areas. i didn't realize they meant camp as in "area you could call dibs on".

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I wonder if the people who start on Green will just be people from Blue, or if it will attract new players, and if they will influence stuff like "established" camps or weird little things like High Keep getting a double H in its commonly used abbreviation.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Groovelord Neato posted:

man i was so confused since i didn't remember that area well. i thought it was one camp as in one spawn (you know like orc 1 or 2 in EC are each one camp) and they were coding it to spawn four areas. i didn't realize they meant camp as in "area you could call dibs on".

The Camp Rules are convoluted and can be contradictive, especially for somewhere like High Keep which is both outdoors and a dungeon. It's kind of ridiculous that they have to codify this poo poo but otherwise you have druids rounding up the entirety of Unrest for their RMT powerlevel scheme.

Experience and loot camps are going to be absolute hell on Green. As cool as starting on a fresh Everquest server would be, I think I'll pass.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Meatgrinder posted:

I wonder if the people who start on Green will just be people from Blue, or if it will attract new players, and if they will influence stuff like "established" camps or weird little things like High Keep getting a double H in its commonly used abbreviation.

It will probably be a lot of both. And probably a lot of old blue players who haven't played in years, who may as well be new players at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'll be rolling on it and i consider myself new even if i played some on blue. only got to level 9 or so because i was trying to relive my original experience but since the majority of people are maxed out i had to solo which is slow going if you don't roll specific classes.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I lurk this thread a lot. Used to play on Shards of Dalaya many years ago to scratch that EQ itch, but I look at P1999 every so often and wonder how it feels vs. playing a "total conversion" game. My sole experience on live was all pre-Kunark, and also a short time post-Luclin. The highest I ever got was a mid-30s Monk. I also had a mid-level Bard and Magician which I enjoyed mostly thanks to the solo-friendly nature of those classes.

If I do try out P1999, it would likely be early in Green's lifespan.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

I lurk this thread a lot. Used to play on Shards of Dalaya many years ago to scratch that EQ itch, but I look at P1999 every so often and wonder how it feels vs. playing a "total conversion" game. My sole experience on live was all pre-Kunark, and also a short time post-Luclin. The highest I ever got was a mid-30s Monk. I also had a mid-level Bard and Magician which I enjoyed mostly thanks to the solo-friendly nature of those classes.

If I do try out P1999, it would likely be early in Green's lifespan.
TBH, Shards of Dalaya is a lot better than P99 systems-wise. They made a lot of really smart improvements.

That said, playing P99 is more fun, because you can always find a group to play with. The feeling of being in a good 6-man that's grinding away smoothly is why I play EQ.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Meatgrinder posted:

Kotaku wrote something on the green launch a few days ago and I think i saw it else where too. It's getting a tiny bit of mainstream buzz. Wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers swell for a week or two.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Rabbi posted:

TBH, Shards of Dalaya is a lot better than P99 systems-wise. They made a lot of really smart improvements.

That said, playing P99 is more fun, because you can always find a group to play with. The feeling of being in a good 6-man that's grinding away smoothly is why I play EQ.

Yeah I give shards credit for still existing, and the low-medium game is still fun, but it becomes a huge grindfest quickly after that and then it's only fun if there is a healthy player population to stir up drama and nerd dunk on.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I really liked Shards of Dalaya. It felt familiar but also new, the latter being something which no classic EQ server will ever offer. Too bad it had a playerbase of maybe a few dozen when I was on it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so Green is a factory for creating 'no longer drops' items to be later merged into blue?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cmdrk posted:

so Green is a factory for creating 'no longer drops' items to be later merged into blue?

correct.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Anyone know if the dark elf racial hide will break charms, even if the hide fails?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tfw rubicite drops again.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

FungiCap posted:

Anyone know if the dark elf racial hide will break charms, even if the hide fails?

it does not break charm on a fail, it's not the most reliable. nice when it works tho

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So they are going to black out your screen while medding until 35 on Green. Rogean just posted about it and figured out how to make it work.

I mean this poo poo is kind of ridiculous.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

So they are going to black out your screen while medding until 35 on Green. Rogean just posted about it and figured out how to make it work.

I mean this poo poo is kind of ridiculous.

Casters deserve a little suffering since it's way more brutal to level an ungeared melee

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i mean if they're gonna go classic they should go all the way, for the first year or whatever of the server you should be forced to play in 800x600 resolution with that godawful default UI that makes your viewport a postage stamp

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not blacked out! you're looking at a book :smugdog:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Indecisive posted:

i mean if they're gonna go classic they should go all the way, for the first year or whatever of the server you should be forced to play in 800x600 resolution with that godawful default UI that makes your viewport a postage stamp

No one was forced to use the viewport UI. That was just the default when you loaded into the game. You could switch it to a full screen view, although the button bars were in fixed positions.

I bought the game the first week it was released in March 1999. I had it in full screen within 10 minutes of loading into the game.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Does anyone remember what the hype and magazine articles about EverQuest were like before it came out? I wasn't really tapped into that world, I just heard about it because my friend told me about it. But I'm curious if there's anything interesting there, features they advertised initially that weren't in the launch, etc.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Indecisive posted:

The thing is they literally would do this if they could. There are limitations to what they can make fully classic due to the modern (titanium I think?) client they are forced to use. Hence why we will most likely never have classic sky graphics. I miss those quake style clouds :(

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does anyone remember what the hype and magazine articles about EverQuest were like before it came out? I wasn't really tapped into that world, I just heard about it because my friend told me about it. But I'm curious if there's anything interesting there, features they advertised initially that weren't in the launch, etc.

I had subscriptions to PC Gamer and some other magazine at the time, I don't remember any big previews about EverQuest (maybe there was a tiny sidenote about it). I remember reading about it online on one of the tech news sites like SharkyExtreme.

What made me take notice was that the guy writing the article was insane for the game (he was playing the beta) and he was ranting about having to wait for boats to get places and the server crashing. He pointed out that while the game was struggling with bugs and disconnects, it was a very addictive and immersive experience like nothing else on the market.

I wasn't going to get it, but I was walking around Best Buy the week it released and noticed the box in the PC game section, and figured I could try it for the free month. I faintly recall it was something like $29.99 and the free month of subscription.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I was like 13 when it came out and my dad went and got it at the store having no idea what an MMO was. His style of buying games usually boiled down to getting ones with cool looking covers.

Then my first character was a Ranger and I used two handed weapons instead of dual wielding. I somehow stumbled on one of the worst class/weapon combos you could probably do.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I found a review for EverQuest from April 1999 on SharkyExtreme archives.

https://web.archive.org/web/19990921011408/http://www3.sharkyextreme.com/games/reviews/989/everquest/

It's multiple pages, so you'll have to click the link at bottom of the page.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

GamePro had a 3 part feature on it, which is what convinced me to convince my parents to get it. It was like an insert booklet, even got into talking about BlackBurrow and poo poo. I was hooked from the pictures.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Noah posted:

GamePro had a 3 part feature on it, which is what convinced me to convince my parents to get it. It was like an insert booklet, even got into talking about BlackBurrow and poo poo. I was hooked from the pictures.

That was after EQ released.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I played UO at the time and was naturally extremely jaded and cynical of another fancy 3d mmo releasing in the near future. But then I just got EQ anyway and played both games for like 3 years cause I'm a big degenerate nerd

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I remember reading an InQuest article about it in 2000 or so, it focused on this guy's new character (a barbarian shaman), all I remember was him writing about how you could turn in hides(?) for patchwork armor in Everfrost.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Noah posted:

Hell yeah. This exact same feature got me hyped too. I actually found digital versions of the magazine issues a year or two back. I'll link them if I can dig them up.

I still remember some of the pictures. One was of felwithe and said something like "this may be someone's home, but not yours, newbie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I was working at a Babbage's and the day it release we had two copies to shelf, mixed in with the other dime-a-dozen PC big boxes that nobody would ever buy (this was when Babbage's stock inventory was like, 98% PC titles). Some guy came in really early in the day and asked for it specifically, so I asked about it and he explained the entire "online world" game concept to me for a few minutes while I was ringing him up, and I was so blown away I bought the other copy right afterward because I didn't want to risk someone else getting it and not being able to try the game.

That loving guy owes me 12 years of my life back.