Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I remember noticing a sort of emotional animus in the bush years - it seemed like conservatives were motivated by fear while leftists were more motivated by rage. fear binds people - things are getting worse so you have to band together. rage propels - it gets things done - but it also polarises and holy poo poo does it divide.

kind of naive in hindsight but hey, heady years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
They would probably agree on hating women from the sound of that congregation. There will always be some other they can agree to hate while they figure out a way to eliminate the weakest in their circle one by one

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Mash Report is back and pretty great again. Just skip the BBC mandated bits with Geoff Norcott.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 19, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
First thing i saw was laura K. Need a trigger warning or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

also i agree that the right has another view on whether different stuff can be good, but they can only really manage to appear united in opposition to stuff. if you had a table and placed an incel, an mra, an ancap, an old eton-style snob, an anti abortion activist, a self-proclaimed john galt, and representatives of three different ultra orthodox something-or-other, what will they agree on
Depends whether one of the ultras is Maggie Thatcher because otherwise I can think of an obvious.

^^ efb by Igotadigbick
Bet they could all agree on 'foreign people wanting benefits' though.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Mash Report is back and pretty great again. Just skip the BBC mandated bits with Geoff Norcott.

Yeah last week's one was good but they had one (piss weak) Corbyn joke and a whole segment with Professional Bellend Geoff Norcott and I can only assume both are because some Right-Wing exec at the Beeb realised that they accidentally had a left-wing TV show on the network.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You've all been busy! I've been playing some board games

I got the report from my face to face assessment for PIP today. It's the same paragraph copied and pasted into every section. I'm laughing and crying simultaneously.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 20, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tarnop posted:

You've all been busy! I've been playing some board games

I got the report from my face to face assessment for PIP today. It's the same paragraph copied and pasted into every section. I'm laughing and crying simultaneously.
My mum had to have a benefits review thingy recently and her report back was literally just one sentence copy lasted for every answer.

The cheek of it after the stress she got put through is unreal.

E; what board games did you play? I played Giant Killer Robots today.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

are the copy paste responses returning your desired outcomes? If so gently caress it, fine.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Flipswitch posted:

My mum had to have a benefits review thingy recently and her report back was literally just one sentence copy lasted for every answer.

The cheek of it after the stress she got put through is unreal.

E; what board games did you play? I played Giant Killer Robots today.

GKR is fun!

We played Trash Pandas and a strange little Japanese horror game

E: The Paragraph

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 20, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1174823718570352640

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tarnop posted:

GKR is fun!

Wow that's some poo poo

"not literally dying in front of me -> faking it, fit to work"

Are these people even qualified to be assessing mental health?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As we know you can absolutely get a job where you only have to be able to work the majority of days you are asked to.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Next time I have one of these assessments I plan to poo poo myself right there in the office

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pochoclo posted:

Wow that's some poo poo

absofuckinglutely not. even if they happen to have degrees, which they almost certainly do not.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pochoclo posted:

Wow that's some poo poo

They can't even change the drums on a printer, despite having handy instructions on the screen of the printer and in the box of drums telling them how to change the drums

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The majority of days. Sample? One day. A bit of it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The majority of days. Sample? One day. A bit of it.

Approximately 40 minutes

After the assessment, It took me 10 days to get back to what I consider normal for me. I couldn't get out of bed for most of that time. In the week prior to the assessment, I avoided all sources of stress or conflict, and only left my flat once. There is zero consideration of how exceptional the circumstances of the assessment are, or the magnitude of the aftermath.

I came seriously close to giving up over the last week, but this is so dismissive, so low-effort that it's got me ready for a fight again

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think there's enough ceiling space to fit all the DWP assessors in grenfell?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Could be shortened to Boris Bad, or just BB.

Boris Not-Godunov?
Just like the original our Boris will usher in a Time of Troubles at the end of his reign, including four years of famine no doubt.

Tarnop posted:

I got a similar boilerplate a few years back - my appeal focused hard on the fact that I'd spent all day (and the previous) getting myself as calm as possible to deal with the stress of the interview situation so no poo poo I appeared polite and friendly and calm. To paraphrase an old saw "By any excuse necessary", never give up.
fe: There you go, tell them in excruciating detail what you just posted, without the "so low-effort that it's got me ready for a fight again " bit.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

EmptyVessel posted:

fe: There you go, tell them in excruciating detail what you just posted, without the "so low-effort that it's got me ready for a fight again " bit.

This is helpful advice, thanks.

Sorry to hear you had to go through the same thing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tarnop posted:

GKR is fun!

The problem with these things, well, apart from the entire stress they put you through, the dehumanising nature, the assumption that you're lying (& so is your GP & other medical professionals). The last person I spoke to who was due for one of these assessments was planning to cut himself on his forearms the night before, because he normally cut his chest & well, you don't go to your assessment shirtless. He was freaking out at the prospect of being on a good day which is utterly loving absurd but also entirely understandable in that situation.

The entire process is entirely unable to cope with mental health. Well, in a way that deems people with mental health problems as worthy of basic decency. My own GP tried to convince me I'd be better off applying for PIP or ESA or whatever it was at the time I cannot even remember and I was just back on SSRIs and they hadn't started working yet so I just did not have the fight in me. I'm convinced I could have qualified, I'm a complete loving mess. The entire farcical theatre of the Jobseekers claiming, the jumping through hoops, the loving pointless dance of interviews asking you where you see yourself in 5 years for the minimum wage job you're interviewing for, the whole process is absolute poison for my brain. Work itself is whatever, I cope, but everything involved in getting that job I have to fight through so hard that it's draining. But then the system is working as designed. As much as we've made a lot of process on making society slightly better at talking about it and the end of the day we're still viewed as inconvenient scum. Depression? Pffft. Social anxiety disorder? Just go to the pub! Talk to strangers even when it makes you want to step in front of oncoming traffic! And that's without even touching on personality disorders.

I used to fantasise of going to London, hanging around the DWP until Duncan Smith hosed off home for the day and committing suicide in some grand gesture. But eventually I realised it'd be a complete waste of time and he'd probably just feel satisfaction in a job well done. You could immolate yourself like a Vietnamese monk and he'd not blink an eye, maybe even take in a deep breathe to really savour the smell of cooking flesh.

Really, I despair at the people who weren't horrendously radicalised by the coalition government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As you note, there is nothing yet that forces people to confront the realities of the world, people dependent on PIP are outside their experience, people wracked by mental health problems are outside their experience, and "they're all just faking it" allows them to keep that cognitive distance, because believing otherwise would mean admitting they were a: wrong and b: have been doing something utterly reprehensible for a long time.

It is much easier to reject the notion of wrongdoing than to perform the labour required to internalize and incorporate it, because if you simply reject it you can keep it at that distance, even if it's right under your nose, the walls in your mind can keep any troublesome doubts where they cannot hurt you. Maintaining those walls, that distance, that safety of the mind, is the sole point, all else is constructed to that end, after the fact, it is application of rationality to preserve the calm stability of the mind engaging in it, not to discern truth.

Not that I would suggest anyone would know anything about that, of course.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I've heard "They're all just faking it" from a man who had previously been sectioned. Some people are just bastards

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's not inconsistent, if your objective is to see yourself as better than those below you it's entirely reasonable to simply believe that everyone else is faking it while you aren't, that allows you to preserve your hierarchy regardless of material circumstances, see also right wing christian notions of sin.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Can you think of any other places where such a phenomena might occur?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally everywhere within a society in which hierarchy is the lens through which we are expected to perceive ourselves and those around us, where one does not exist it has to be created, ideally so that the mind doing the creation is on the top of it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Theres hierarchy anywhere theres me and not me.

EDIT you changed your post. We definitely agree.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Im watching phenomenon with john travolta on youtabe now lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hello UKMT

I have seen reports indicating disagreement over personal attacks on the rich and/or powerful based on their appearance. With the understanding that cultural standards are different between the US and UK and the mod staff is exclusively American or Canadian, I do not plan to pass a decisive rule on this topic. I think it’s bad form and tasteless to attack your political opponents over their appearances, and often veers into gross displays of misogyny or racism, but at the same time the reality is that calling Boris Johnson an ugly gently caress or what have you is not a materially damaging thing to do, while he is in fact a piece of poo poo who is ruining countless lives every day.

I think it’s a worthwhile thing to debate and invite you to do so while not attacking each other or each others’ personal appearances if possible, but we will continue to punish obvious sexism and racism. No one cares which politicians you would or wouldn’t gently caress, and it would be better if you attacked them for being horrible people I think.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Im watching phenomenon with john travolta on youtabe now lol.

I remember seeing that in the movies when it came out and I can tell you absolutely nothing about it. I have the knowledge of viewing it, but what it was about or what happened or who ANYONE was is the biggest void.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I accidentally did a social experiment in bristol the other day and it turns out humans can't do coop, only authority.

What was this?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Was about to go to bed, went to brush my teeth and noticed I'd carried a slug into the living room. And it had gone wild over a huge amount of the room for a slow beastie, leaving all its mucusy slime trail everywhere.

loving hell, slugs suck.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

What was this?

Traffic jam.

I just wanted to leave my house but realised no chance so I walked up to see if I could help. Turns our this Beemer had had its airbag go off and was immobilised, I googled, they have a pyrotechnic charge on the battery to disconnect it in accidents. Something had gone wrong and the airbag and charge had gone off.

On an uphill, next to a pedestrian crossing refuge. No shifting her. and pandemonium around school time and rush hour.

The point is that everyone was going mental with each other. They all had a reasonably similar view of the broken BMW and could fathom why everything was jammed up. But it was kicking off. People literally yelling at each other to the point of sounding like they were going to kill each other.

So I started to direct traffic. Pretty much instantly people complied and did what I directed and everyone was happy again. Angry faces with one another became smiling faces to me, the authority that was directing and solving their issues.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ms Adequate posted:

I remember seeing that in the movies when it came out and I can tell you absolutely nothing about it. I have the knowledge of viewing it, but what it was about or what happened or who ANYONE was is the biggest void.

brain tumour mega psychic

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

mediaphage posted:

brain tumour mega psychic

wow rude same to you

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

wow rude same to you

i'm concentrating v hard to try and phenomenonenon you right now, does it hurt

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

mediaphage posted:

i'm concentrating v hard to try and phenomenonenon you right now, does it hurt

I have a headache so a little bit yea good job!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

I have a headache so a little bit yea good job!

I was going for headache....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I honestly don't remember this out of nowhere sexy hair dressing scene. weird. Could've sworn they just hosed.