Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Nightcrawler and Wolverine’s word could simply be taken as directly talking about the egg process instead of going to heaven. “Wolverine, are you still worried about your soul? Look for me on the other side, we will be there together.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema
I thought a big point of Jean being the last one to die during the suicide run was that she was working as a long-range psychic router to keep Xavier's mental backups up to date until everyone died. I also read the Logan/Kurt moment as a bit of uncertainty over the rebirth process and where that would leave their actual/original souls. I'm assuming that last part will be addressed in future books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Billzasilver posted:

Nightcrawler and Wolverine’s word could simply be taken as directly talking about the egg process instead of going to heaven. “Wolverine, are you still worried about your soul? Look for me on the other side, we will be there together.”

Nightcrawler has no soul as he sold it

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it would actually be less of an ethical quagmire if the Culture/Altered Carbon-style backups were a completely new "soul" because otherwise Chuck/Erik/Moira's plan is dragging millions of souls out of a heaven which they know exists because the X-Men have physically been there

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

New plan, Xavier can only revive souls that he knows went to hell/limbo, so they can live a better life on Krakoa Island and eventually go to heaven.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The last big reveal is that Krakoa is the Bad Place.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The real problem is when Wolverine, still alive, hitches a ride on a meteor back to Earth.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

*Apocalypse shows up and shakes hands with everyone, congratulates them because this is the perfect mutant kingdom he envisioned*

danbanana posted:

The last big reveal is that Krakoa is the Bad Place.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So what happens when someone on Krakoa has a non-mutant baby? Is it torn from its pleading mothers arms and sent to some far off underfunded orphanage?

It relates to something that's always bugged me about "Mutants are a separate species" thing that X-Men has had for years, In that mutants don't really fit the definition of species even in non-super-academic terms. Humans and Mutants give birth to each other, breed with each other, and don't produce hybrids just x-gene positive/negative.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has a mutant ever given birth to a non mutant?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I don't recall Grayson Creed being a mutant but there's a lot about Grayson Creed I don't recall.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

IIRC, Graydon Creed (Sabertooth + Mystique)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Not quite what Skwirl was asking but the antagonist of the first arc of X-Men: Gold was, IIRC, the human daughter of a mutant father.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, that one issue of New Mutants with the Space Clone X-Men got added to Marvel Unlimited!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Plus, there are mutants with human loved ones and families. Like...Kitty Pryde's parents, or the extended Guthrie clan, or Nightcrawler's foster sister.

I definitely think that some dissent needs to be on show. I can't imagine Kitty going for this, but apparently she has?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

Plus, there are mutants with human loved ones and families. Like...Kitty Pryde's parents, or the extended Guthrie clan, or Nightcrawler's foster sister.

I definitely think that some dissent needs to be on show. I can't imagine Kitty going for this, but apparently she has?

Krakoa allowing instant teleportation and also having the ability to bring non mutants to Krakoa makes it easier. Like, most cults don't have quite those open borders.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Android Blues posted:

Considering the extremely cult-like vibes and that Xavier's a telepath, I can kind of get why there's not been any dissent thus far.

We know Molly Hayes is sticking with the Runaways, at least. Actually, this does open the door for her parents to be resurrected, which might be interesting (although that'd probably be addressed in Runaways). Also New Mutants #3 in December has them going on outreach to young mutants who haven't come to Krakoa.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I don't recall Grayson Creed being a mutant but there's a lot about Grayson Creed I don't recall.

He wasn't. Creed was in the Upstarts, though.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Imagine them trying to get Franklin Richards to come along with them and forsake his human family

Yvonmukluk posted:

We know Molly Hayes is sticking with the Runaways, at least. Actually, this does open the door for her parents to be resurrected, which might be interesting (although that'd probably be addressed in Runaways). Also New Mutants #3 in December has them going on outreach to young mutants who haven't come to Krakoa.

That's what happens in the sixth life. The Hayeses are resurrected, then the Gibborim destroy Krakoa. Moira is too embarrassed to even acknowledge that life.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I suppose Quicksilver's daughter Luna counts. She didn't get powers at all until the Terrigen Mists kicked in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I suppose Quicksilver's daughter Luna counts. She didn't get powers at all until the Terrigen Mists kicked in.

Isn't he no longer a mutant?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Isn't he no longer a mutant?

Luna's from like the 80s though, so he was at the time.

It's rare but possible, and seems to often be a whole thing where the child is scorned because of it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Luna's from like the 80s though, so he was at the time.

No he wasn't, we just thought he was.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Is Molly Hayes still officially an X-gene mutant? I kind of assumed the current Runaways run retconned her into a mutate (or at least, the daughter of mutates.) Though, if X-gene Sinister counts as a mutant, I guess she could too if she has the gene. Or maybe it's a situation like Franklin where her parents where mutates, but she has a natural mutant gene. Still curious if there is an official designation.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

glitchwraith posted:

Is Molly Hayes still officially an X-gene mutant? I kind of assumed the current Runaways run retconned her into a mutate (or at least, the daughter of mutates.) Though, if X-gene Sinister counts as a mutant, I guess she could too if she has the gene. Or maybe it's a situation like Franklin where her parents where mutates, but she has a natural mutant gene. Still curious if there is an official designation.

iirc it is a Franklin situation. Molly's parents were the result of genetic experiments to give them identical X-Gene powers (which I think mostly came about to shove away the incestuous connotations), but Molly's still recognized as a regular mutant.

The Hulu series completely changes her origin, but that's never carried over to the comics.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Squirrel Girl isn't a mutant anymore but I'm pretty sure she can just have a nice conversation with Krakoa and be allowed passage if she so desires.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nevvy Z posted:

No he wasn't, we just thought he was.

I know it's kinda dumb to complain too much about retcons in comics, but the whole "Wanda/Pietro are neither Magneto's kids nor mutants" thing is infuriating to me. Both are cornerstones to their characterization, role in countless important stories, and relations to the rest of the universe. And it's made even worse because it wasn't even some writer who was trying to tell a story and needed the retcon to tell it. It was Rich Bazillionaires having a childish spat over movie rights because they wanted more zeros at the end of a bank account number they already could never spend all of. It's like saying Spider-Man has in fact always been Crab-Man because he was pinched by a radioactive crab and has at no point ever been mistrusted by the papers or general public.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

galagazombie posted:

It was Rich Bazillionaires having a childish spat over movie rights because they wanted more zeros at the end of a bank account number

The disonance between this complaint and your avatar is fantastic.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Dias posted:

I was under the impression this was a soft reboot, is it not one? Was there a lead-up to HoX/PoX? How much of...everything else actually happened in this timeline (which I'll assume is 10)? I'm enjoying it because it is very much broad strokes and as someone that didn't follow the X-Men because haha gently caress that noise too much poo poo happening I don't really know most of the interplay other than the very obvious poo poo - Apocalypse being into Xavier's plan is a big red sign, for instance.

edit: also yeah, they keep a backup of everything up to their death, that was my understanding of it. They still die, and it was shown that that's not especially desirable neither for the dead mutants nor for Xavier.

This is more of a hard reboot with Hickman characteristics. As in, Hickman has the keys to the X-Men now, and is free to pick and choose what he wants to keep as canon, and rewrite/massage events that happened as he needs to.

Sesq posted:

Yeah, this is all really the prologue to a potentially bigger story.

I was thinking about where Moira is, and I thought maybe she was already dead before her powers manifested and that this was the end result of her last life. But that's not the case because Proteus is there. Is she just on ice until Phalanx times? Maybe she uses the cure on herself once she's found a timeline that's a keeper.

Part of me wonders, given Charles not quite being himself, and Moira missing....and that they specifically called out "no experiment has been done on what happens when you put a mutant mind in a body that's not it's own"...if Charles isn't so much Charles as either a Charles/Moira hybrid or Moira in Charles's body. Some of the poses that Charles is drawn in come off as more feminine than masculine, like with the stroking of Cyclops's face, and lord knows, Hickman loves small details like that. I wonder if it's more "no KNOWN experiment has been done....", because only Charles and Moira know about it, and what we're seeing now isn't "Xavier's dream for mutants", it's Moiracharles's, or just Moira's, and that's why things seem off. It would also add context to Charles's "No more..", as while i'm sure that having to psychically rebuild people sucks, Moira has a reason to say "No More", as in "No more lives to get this right", or "No more failures" in an "thank god, I might have finished my work" way.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 21, 2019

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Rick posted:

The real problem is when Wolverine, still alive, hitches a ride on a meteor back to Earth.

Too Many Wolverines has never been a problem for Marvel.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

danbanana posted:

The disonance between this complaint and your avatar is fantastic.

You realize that's the default avatar right? It replaced the "Stupid Newbie" one

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

galagazombie posted:

You realize that's the default avatar right? It replaced the "Stupid Newbie" one

yes but it's still great dissonance

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The weird thing about this event is that it’s going to be permanent. There’s no final boss they need to fight and then everything goes back to normal. It just introduces a status quo and then we go into 2 or more years of storylines.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

The weird thing about this event is that it’s going to be permanent. There’s no final boss they need to fight and then everything goes back to normal. It just introduces a status quo and then we go into 2 or more years of storylines.

It's comics. Nothing is 'permanent' except maybe Uncle Ben being dead.

Hell the saying used to be "nobody stays dead except Uncle Ben and Bucky" and then Brubaker had a better idea. This'll be the status quo until some other writer comes along and wants a more "feared and hated" status quo.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

until some other writer comes along and wants a more "feared and hated" status quo.

That's the interesting thing here though: Hickman is putting together a story where this is a legitimate thing for once. One of the holes in the Marvel Universe that you had to will away was that for some reason the Fantastic Four was adored but mutants were hated. There were always half-hearted rationales for this. But what this is doing is justifying it all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not really what he's saying though.

This event seemingly isn't like Age of Ultron or Days of Future Past etc. where they can punch it away.

I'm not 100% sure on that just yet though. Because if it ends entering a new Moira life, that's effectively the same.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Yeah, I mean more that this event isn’t supposed to be self-contained at all. Things don’t go back to normal when this event ends. There doesn’t need to be an epic battle between Xavier and Sinister over the final 3 issues.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's comics. Nothing is 'permanent' except maybe Uncle Ben being dead.

Hell the saying used to be "nobody stays dead except Uncle Ben and Bucky" and then Brubaker had a better idea. This'll be the status quo until some other writer comes along and wants a more "feared and hated" status quo.

I don’t expect anything to be permanent-permanent, but if this new status quo lasts for more than 5 years, that’s good enough for me. Jason Aaron has had one-armed Thor for about that long, and it’s been terrific.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 22, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

I don’t expect anything to be permanent-permanent, but if this new status quo lasts for more than 5 years, that’s good enough for me. Jason Aaron has had one-armed Thor for about that long, and it’s been terrific.

Oh, absolutely, it's gonna be a nice long-term situation that will have some interesting ramifications - I'm looking at it more like Dark Reign where it's going to be the status quo basically 'until it isn't anymore.' I'm just saying, 'permanent' is not a word I trust in comics-related talk. :D

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I was actually thinking about Avengers Dissembled, but Dark Reign is a better comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I support Xavier and the Krakoa cult, honestly. Death to humans. Life to Goldballs.