Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

How much did it cost to have your super serviced? Mine could use it. The up and down manual shutter speed buttons are on their way out (up has already left).

If the other poster does not want your camera I will jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Garry's Camera Repair did it for $80 USD. Took about two weeks there and back from Canada. His site is old fashioned but the work was solid.

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention. Keret and I are working something out right now. If it doesn't work out I'll give you a shout.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 14, 2019

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
If you like fully mechanical Pentaxes then the Spotmatic is also a great choice. It's a different lens mount (M42) to the MX or ME Super, so it's not compatible with K mount glass but there is a huge range of really great Super Takumar and Soviet lenses that can be used on it. I bought mine from a Canadian goon a few years ago and it's still my goto 35mm SLR.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I have a bunch of Soviet and East German made M42 lenses and while they're pretty neat the 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar seems to be just about welded to my Spotmatic F. Its not going to blow away any modern lens tests but it has a lovely rendering and versatile look to it depending on aperture setting. The OMG RADIATION!!! that it gets from some people is also very amusing.

My Helios is probably more radioactive given it was made shortly after a certain famous disaster in Ukraine.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 14, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Dudeabides posted:

Unfortunately I'm no longer in Boston, but I'd be willing to still take the 1.7 off your hands if no one has claimed it.

PM me an address and I'll send it there. No reason for me to keep it sitting in a drawer if someone wants to putter with it.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Two hours was still not long enough to expose Ektar in light so dim even my Gossen Luna Pro went, "hosed if I know, good luck buddy". Should have listened to that star trail exposure website I looked up that recommended about five hours.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Insanite posted:

PM me an address and I'll send it there. No reason for me to keep it sitting in a drawer if someone wants to putter with it.

PM’ed ya!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sauer posted:

Two hours was still not long enough to expose Ektar in light so dim even my Gossen Luna Pro went, "hosed if I know, good luck buddy". Should have listened to that star trail exposure website I looked up that recommended about five hours.

are you factoring in reciprocity failure as well?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I didn't even have a proper light reading to go off of at all. So I just took a bunch of shots starting at 10 minutes and doubling that time each frame after. Even two hours wasn't long enough. Next time I get the chance I'll leave it out a few hours more. Ektar is pretty slow for shooting in conditions of "no real light at all". The glow off the rock is reflection from a town just off the left side of the frame.

On a travel note, Percé Rock in Gaspé is nice, but I would have happily traded the time there for another two days in Bic National Park. Its probably the most beautiful park I've visited in Canada.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 15, 2019

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

portra 400 under a full moon, f/16, ~1 hour

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Anybody got a camera repair / maybe new leatherette place they'd recommend in the US? My Nikon EM definitely has light leaks and has seen periods of use and disuse since 1980 (it was my dad's) but never been serviced. It seems mechanically sound but given it's about to turn 40 I'd like to get it looked at and hopefully not returned to me worse.

Precision Camera of Austin, Texas pretty much wrecked the leatherette on a Konica Auto S3 I once asked them to look at so I don't want to use them ever again.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

wolfs posted:

Anybody got a camera repair / maybe new leatherette place they'd recommend in the US?

If you're in Austin, you might try Eurotech. The guy there can do good work and he's never hosed up any of the leatherette on my cameras.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If you're in Austin, you might try Eurotech. The guy there can do good work and he's never hosed up any of the leatherette on my cameras.

I miss Austin camera shops. Between Holland and Austin Camera & Imaging (who sold me my x100), it was really nice. I have yet to find that here in Chicago. :smith:

I decided to order some film as I anxiously wait for my shiny new (to me) ME Super to arrive from Canada (many thanks, Sauer, for parting with it). It seems like most folks come down on either the Tri-X side or the T-MAX side with black and white film, so I grabbed a few of each. I have a feeling I'll side with Tri-X because I have a weakness for old-school looking, contrasty B&W images (eg. Ragnar Axelsson, Matt Black, etc.) I also picked up a couple rolls of Ektar, but I've never used it before (nor any ISO 100 film for that matter), so I'll just have to see how that goes.

Inevitably, I'm going to end up going down the home developing rabbit hole for my B&W film, as well. All of the rooms in my apartment have an exterior window, so I don't have a room that is totally dark, even at night (the curse of living in a major city without blackout curtains), but it seems like a changing bag is enough to mitigate that.

From reading through the thread, I should be good with the following, I guess?

Changing Bag
Patterson Tank
Developer (HC-110 seems to be the go-to here?)
Fixer
Distilled Water/Photoflo (Chicago taps have fairly hard water)
Various Measuring, Drying, and Storage Things

Anything I'm missing? If I get a tank that takes two rolls of film, do I need to always add the full amount of liquid (and therefore do 2 rolls), or can I do one roll with half?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Keret posted:

I miss Austin camera shops. Between Holland and Austin Camera & Imaging (who sold me my x100), it was really nice. I have yet to find that here in Chicago. :smith:
If you're looking for a repair shop, I recently had my Mamiya 6 repaired and CLAed by Precision Camera Works in Skokie and they did a phenomenal job. Not cheap though.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Keret posted:

I didn't get to visit when I was there last year, but a few of my friends from that area have spoken well of Central Camera.

Keret posted:

Anything I'm missing? If I get a tank that takes two rolls of film, do I need to always add the full amount of liquid (and therefore do 2 rolls), or can I do one roll with half?

As long as your film stays covered (and there's even some slight flexibility there, which is how Jobos work) you'll be fine. At that small scale you'll probably get better results with a full tank, though. HC-110 is cheap but shoot more film anyways.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Keret posted:

I decided to order some film as I anxiously wait for my shiny new (to me) ME Super to arrive from Canada (many thanks, Sauer, for parting with it). It seems like most folks come down on either the Tri-X side or the T-MAX side with black and white film, so I grabbed a few of each. I have a feeling I'll side with Tri-X because I have a weakness for old-school looking, contrasty B&W images (eg. Ragnar Axelsson, Matt Black, etc.) I also picked up a couple rolls of Ektar, but I've never used it before (nor any ISO 100 film for that matter), so I'll just have to see how that goes.

Inevitably, I'm going to end up going down the home developing rabbit hole for my B&W film, as well. All of the rooms in my apartment have an exterior window, so I don't have a room that is totally dark, even at night (the curse of living in a major city without blackout curtains), but it seems like a changing bag is enough to mitigate that.

From reading through the thread, I should be good with the following, I guess?

Changing Bag
Patterson Tank
Developer (HC-110 seems to be the go-to here?)
Fixer
Distilled Water/Photoflo (Chicago taps have fairly hard water)
Various Measuring, Drying, and Storage Things

Buy the big tank, not the tiny babby 2 roll one. Something like the 3 roll or the 5 roll. You’ll thank yourself very quickly.

Hc110 is a good place to start. Probably the easiest to start with, powder based developers are a pain in the rear end.
I also like the ilford ilfotol for rinsing, you use so little that the small bottle will last you five lifetimes.

In terms of measuring doodads, you’ll need a thermometer, a syringe, a few measuring cups, and a few bottles for your fixer mix.

Don’t forget your film sleeves and some clamps for hanging up your film as well.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
For drying film, I bought a little plastic hanger from a homestore, the sort for drying underwear over a sink, and a bunch of small bulldog clips. You can buy 'film hanging clips' at 5 bucks each or you can go to a dollar store and get everything you need for less than the price of one of those. Likewise yourmeasuring stuff and glassware.
For B&W, I like Fomapan film and Rodinal developer.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

friends don't let friends shoot fomapan

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone here have a durable point and shoot with a zoom lens or a compact SLR for sale? Looking for something I can take biking that can fit in my handlebar bag or jersey pocket. Or recommendations of something in stock at Keh would be great too. Thanks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Check out this trendy new film we've just introdu... and its rebadged Fomapan.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
hi can i buy some good film?

no thanks, but instead can i pay almost as much to have terrible results on a bad film? where do i put in my credit card details

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The effects stuff is pretty bad, I have some 5x4 Retropan and it's horrible, but the regular 100 and 200 stuff is fine. At least as good as Ilford Delta IMO. The 400 can be pushed to a ridiculous degree too if you really need some 6400 speed going on.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

The effects stuff is pretty bad, I have some 5x4 Retropan and it's horrible, but the regular 100 and 200 stuff is fine. At least as good as Ilford Delta IMO. The 400 can be pushed to a ridiculous degree too if you really need some 6400 speed going on.

why not just buy ilford delta, then

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I got 100 sheets of formapan for next to nothing. Good enough to experiment on.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ansel autisms posted:

why not just buy ilford delta, then

The price difference may be more extreme in Helen Highwater's local market. Sometimes you have to save a little on your practice shots, then splurge when you're doing something with purpose.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hi!

The OP is over a decade old, and Kodachrome is no longer manufactured OR developed.

What is a good all-around color film for hobbyist-tier shooting?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

The general thread consensus is Portra. Ektar is pretty great too.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm a fan of Superia 400 if you don't want to spend Portra money.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Megabound posted:

I'm a fan of Superia 400 if you don't want to spend Portra money.

+1. Half the price, good results.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

The price difference may be more extreme in Helen Highwater's local market. Sometimes you have to save a little on your practice shots, then splurge when you're doing something with purpose.

In Slovakia, Fomapan was incredibly cheap - usually in the region of €2 a roll for 120 film. Here in Thailand it's still generally cheaper than anything else except for the Lomography stuff, and I find it's fine for most purposes. I can't often get the nicer B&W stocks like HP5+ or FP4, so my choices are Fomapan, Delta, or Lomography.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Kodak came out with a new formula of Ektachrome if you're looking for color reversal film specifically. It's also cheaper than Fuji's offerings by which I mean its only 13 bucks a roll

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you live in Canada our Walmarts (probably in the USA as well) have started stocking three packs of Kodak Gold 200 for 12 bux. That's probably one of the best deals you'll find in this country for an affordable film and its a pretty good product in its own right if you like Kodak colors. Its warmer than Color Plus with milder grain.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yond Cassius posted:

people who segment their photography into "practice shots" and "something with purpose" somehow only seem to take practice shots forever

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm a total neophyte, so I probably don't need super pro level stuff, just something that will not look like rear end.

I'm trying to learn to shoot film, and one thing I thought I'd try is taking the same shots with my digital camera and my film, then comparing the results to see what tweaks I would need to make on the film camera. Only downside being the lag time for getting the film developed. I don't have the money or space to do my own developing. (yes I know about the little barrels and the light tight bags, its not feasible for me right now) so sending it off is my best bet.

I guess I'd need to record what settings I used for each shot on the film, and what settings the digital used for the same shot when set to Auto or Auto-Scene? Does that seem like a good idea?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

learn to use your light meter

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ansel autisms posted:

learn to use your light meter

Will the one built in to my digital camera work, or should I get an actual separate meter?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

or buy a film camera with a light meter in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Annath posted:

I'm trying to learn to shoot film, and one thing I thought I'd try is taking the same shots with my digital camera and my film, then comparing the results to see what tweaks I would need to make on the film camera. Only downside being the lag time for getting the film developed. I don't have the money or space to do my own developing. (yes I know about the little barrels and the light tight bags, its not feasible for me right now) so sending it off is my best bet.

I don't know how much development costs for you, but even for me and my very cheap lab, a basic kit and chemicals would pay for itself in 12 rolls of film.