Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreatGreen posted:

I thought "a punk band with two guitar players playing different things" was called "metal."

Depending on the drums its Crossover thrash or Post-rock but yeah basically that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Depending on the drums its Crossover thrash or Post-rock but yeah basically that

Post-hardcore, post-rock is when you tap on a clean Tele.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I thought "a punk band with two guitar players playing different things" was called "metal."

nah that's two guitars playing the same thing and also the bass is just playing root notes

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Me: “I’ll never get into pedals, if you really want to sound good you should just try harder”
Also me: “how does anyone use less than four?”

I am a stupid music poo poo, but the stupidest poo poo is pedal prices. It’s 2019, electronics are cheap as hell to make. Even hitting up reverb’s used section I can’t spend less than $40, which seems high end to my poor rear end

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i'm about 85-90% convinced most people just buy pedals for the enclosure art

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

People will buy the same pedal in perpetuity if you provide a never-ending combination of "limited edition" "art"/colors. If you really corner someone with this disease they will admit it's basically like collecting Pokémon and they can't help it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

"oooo a smaller version of my tube screamer! That'll save me some space!"

*keeps old tube screamer also*

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My unpopular opinion is that the vast majority of guitarists could get by with a cheap multi-effects unit and nobody in the audience would notice.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lester Shy posted:

My unpopular opinion is that the vast majority of guitarists could get by with a cheap multi-effects unit and nobody in the audience would notice.

I think this is simplifying the art form down to nothing but the average consumer experience though. I know you’re probably saying a cover band experience or something similar and sure, there’s no reason you couldn’t play all the classics that way and make people happy. Most audiences don’t ask for much or even anything past a beat and some energy really.

e: didn’t mean to sound quite so cynical about it lol

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 20, 2019

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

I've done this at least twice and I'd do it again. Not even embarrassed. I've bought pedals partly because I liked the knob configuration (just one great big knob).

Lester Shy posted:

Sure, but what guitarist ever gave a poo poo what the audience thought?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Bill Posters posted:

I've done this at least twice and I'd do it again. Not even embarrassed. I've bought pedals partly because I liked the knob configuration (just one great big knob).

*tries to quickly hide several analogue and digital delays, wahs, and fuzz pedals away*

Not me, I don't have that problem :sweatdrop:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

worked for bolt thrower

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Older model multi effects boxes can be killer bargains. The Boss GT-6 goes for around $100 and has about 36 Boss pedals and other effects in it. The presets are the Boss engineers showing off, but tweaking is rewarding.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

*plugs in 50 dollar boss overdrive to my bass. cuts a bit of low end but after some tweaking sounds like a glorious buzzsaw from hell*

guitarist: that sounds too perfect. like youre in a studio. you need THIS

*plugs in 250 dollar hand painted metal box thing that makes everything sound like mush. it doesnt even matter what note i play it all sounds the same*

guitarist: see? now THATS cool

:chloe:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lester Shy posted:

Ola Englund of YouTube Fame (and guitar player for the haunted) livestreamed a practice session so that he wouldn't be so rusty the next time they played live. He did it using basically his live rig and it was literally just what you said.

Guitar into AX8 multieffects/amp sim into a SeymouDuncan power amp into a cab. I think there's a front of house DI on the power amp but for the stream he mic'd the cab.

I'm pretty sure you could fit that rig in a backpack and it sounded pretty loving badass so why bother with a huge backline?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ola Englund of YouTube Fame (and guitar player for the haunted) livestreamed a practice session so that he wouldn't be so rusty the next time they played live. He did it using basically his live rig and it was literally just what you said.

Guitar into AX8 multieffects/amp sim into a SeymouDuncan power amp into a cab. I think there's a front of house DI on the power amp but for the stream he mic'd the cab.

I'm pretty sure you could fit that rig in a backpack and it sounded pretty loving badass so why bother with a huge backline?

Mostly we take our backline out because we can and its fun, but you really don't NEED it even at the lower end of the price range. Decent multi-driver IEMs have basically removed any need I had for bass amps beyond having something around in case my monitors play up or the soundperson is a total goon.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

*plugs in 50 dollar boss overdrive to my bass. cuts a bit of low end but after some tweaking sounds like a glorious buzzsaw from hell*

guitarist: that sounds too perfect. like youre in a studio. you need THIS

*plugs in 250 dollar hand painted metal box thing that makes everything sound like mush. it doesnt even matter what note i play it all sounds the same*

guitarist: see? now THATS cool

:chloe:
Well, how else is the guitar player gonna justify the G.A.S.? :shepspends:

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Well, how else is the guitar player gonna justify the G.A.S.? :shepspends:

“My favorite artists use a pile of pedals and I’m an old lady who can’t figure out digital effects” is what I tell myself as I click Buy It Now, even though it’s literally the opposite of reality. I never act this way in bass mode :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I recently used my Tech21 Cali Fly Rig for a show in place of using any of my other rig choices (1. Mesa amps with an all-analog pedalboard, 2. Mesa amps with a 4-cable'd POD HD500, 3. POD HD500 with whatever backline the venue has) because my car was at the shop so I had to use public transportation.

Absolutely loving nobody noticed the difference. Not even the 2 local tone-purist assholes that go to most of my shows to be dipshits. I was able to travel with the Fly Rig in my backpack with the 2 cables, my tuner, and the XVive U2 wireless. It literally does not matter what gear you're rocking. The FOH lady was loving ecstatic that it literally took me less than 5 minutes to set everything up.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

My favourite pieces of gear have always been those, to be perfectly honest. It's heretical to say that about Line 6 but man....

Like look, maybe once I want to play something that sounds like U2, and then stack parallel harmonizers to sound like Vinnie Vincent in the next song, I don't think that's too much to ask!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's the dream, for sure. :allears:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s what big pedalboards are for! :colbert:

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

My favourite pieces of gear have always been those, to be perfectly honest. It's heretical to say that about Line 6 but man....

Like look, maybe once I want to play something that sounds like U2, and then stack parallel harmonizers to sound like Vinnie Vincent in the next song, I don't think that's too much to ask!

That's one of the best things about multieffects pedals imo, the factory presets can be so bonkers it inspires you to do something correspondingly bonkers.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

With the HD500, you could correspondingly set a harmonizer patch a second below the note you're playing, and then another one a third and another one a fifth and pretty soon you're playing Herbie Hancock voicings with a single note. Forget "why in God's name would you do that" and just go for it!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm standing in line at Long & McQuade's annual 'attic sale'. Crazy good deals. Some folks have been here since 1AM. I'm hoping to score a pair of CDJ2000nexii; if I can get them at this steal price I can sell my older-model 2000s and basically break even. Lots of guitar guys in the crowd getting real antsy as people walk out with Jazzmasters and poo poo.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Owning a Digitech RP-50 scared me out of using multi-effect pedals forever. That being said I own around 20 pedals and only use around 7 of them. Like I’m gonna find a use for a Mooer Lofi machine someday.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I wish every pedal looked like a boss pedal cause all boss pedal boards look so tidy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol, I had that same pedal and it was incredibly useful for some effects but I don't know if I would have trusted it for anything else. When my first big band broke up, I got a Boss ME-50 which got me through a lot of rough spots, but then I got the Line 6 POD HD500 and that made my life so much easier.

It's weird because for the longest time I thought that Multi-FX units were going to make me a crappier player since said band mostly used simpler pedals, hence my fixation on single/dual stomp-boxes at the most. But if Fractal comes out with a pedalboard version of the Axe-Fx III like they did with the AX8 and the MK-II, gently caress it, I'm getting that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Spanish Manlove posted:

The Fractal AX8 isn't just "some muilt-fx pedal" though. Aside from Fractal Audio's flagship Axe-Fx, the AX8 is about as good as modeling gets. It even uses identical modeling as the flagship stuff, but it just can't cram as much stuff into a single patch. The SD poweramp is fantastic as well. Ola was using some serious kit in that video.

Your point still totally stands though, the vast majority of everybody wouldn't be able to tell the difference even if the guitar player was using a metalzone with a low-pass filter plugged straight into the board.

Wark Say posted:

But if Fractal comes out with a pedalboard version of the Axe-Fx III like they did with the AX8 and the MK-II, gently caress it, I'm getting that.

https://www.facebook.com/fractalaud...58563810849517/

edit: I know I sound like a shill but I'm not affiliated with Fractal in any way other than I have an Axe-Fx 3 which I fuckin love and would recommend to anybody.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 20, 2019

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Shugojin posted:

I wish every pedal looked like a boss pedal cause all boss pedal boards look so tidy

Not stupid, but Chris Cater of Throbbing Gristle showing off his Boss rig for studio/live looping performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaWWezA5F1U

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, so... neat and tidy. :stwoon:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I had a GT-6 and all it lead to was getting replaced with an Eleven Rack which is where my personal guitar effects GAS ended.

Guitars, on the other hand...

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Thread’s patron saint spotted.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

https://www.facebook.com/fractalaud...58563810849517/

edit: I know I sound like a shill but I'm not affiliated with Fractal in any way other than I have an Axe-Fx 3 which I fuckin love and would recommend to anybody.
Why would you do this to me? Not fair! Not fair. :cry:

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Ffff I had no idea there was an Axe3, much less a new multiFX! God dammit, lol.

My Axe1 Ultra has been rockin solid for the past 9 years (hooooly poo poo can't believe it's been that long), but it's got some busted outputs and I don't like the lack of USB.

I'm assuming the 3 would be a pretty solid upgrade from the 1? I passed on the 2 bc it wasn't enough of an upgrade at the time, but I imagine the tech has gotten better in the past decade?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Slothful Bong posted:

Ffff I had no idea there was an Axe3, much less a new multiFX! God dammit, lol.

My Axe1 Ultra has been rockin solid for the past 9 years (hooooly poo poo can't believe it's been that long), but it's got some busted outputs and I don't like the lack of USB.

I'm assuming the 3 would be a pretty solid upgrade from the 1? I passed on the 2 bc it wasn't enough of an upgrade at the time, but I imagine the tech has gotten better in the past decade?

I owned an Ultra back in like 2009, then an Axe 2, and now the 3. There's way too much to list here or to remember off the top of my head but the manual on the website has all of it. I wouldn't even know where to start.

The tech has improved by insane leaps and bounds though. I've got some tube rack stuff (Triaxis and ENGL 570 preamps with an old VHT 2:90:2 poweramp) and I literally cannot hear or feel a difference between my rack and my Axe-Fx 3 now if I spend just a little bit of effort matching the EQ curves or whatever.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 21, 2019

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jr. posted:

I'm dead.

This was four years ago. God bless imgur.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 21, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jr. posted:

I kinda need it.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Last thing I need is resonant tone wood right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Were toilets designed to amplify fart sounds?