Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
This is where we find out that the NEET stole that woman's purse and let the thief steal counterfeit money.

At least he got a steak before getting robbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Is the thief the murdereh guy from prison???

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grevling posted:

fyi, the "murdereh" line was not that weird in the original, it just highlighted his accent while he said murderer. but since that guy's gimmick was looking korean but having a kansai accent, which is just... not funny to a western audience, i went with the "ambiguous/changing nationality" gag like w the "is he australian?" lol anyway yeah.

tl;dr: im localizer scum and you're forced to deal with me converting yen to dollars every time

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait, why do i put so much thought into this lovely comic?

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Because you love us.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grevling posted:

oh yeah also, i'll only tell you what the japanese readers would already know.

this new dude indeed speaks with a kansai accent

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
localizing to the gestalt english-speaking international audience, really, gives you as much latitude as you could possibly get, so by this point I honestly just appreciate any effort as a convenience.

It's the localizing to weirdo niche cultures/languages that tends to get lost in the translation horribly, like an old translator that officially translated LOTR to our little niche 2 million-speakers in the world language and yyyea...the fans (all younger obviously) hated his guts for some of the naming choices he made. Was entertaining reaction tho!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 20, 2019

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Mr. Steak posted:

oh yeah also, i'll only tell you what the japanese readers would already know.

I KNEW IT :aaaaa:

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Moar panels plz Steak-sama

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe. i opened bss to start a thread ive been planning for a while, but accidentally clicked on some webcomics threads i never heard of and im addicted. hahaha

maybe i'll take a break for neet

e: .... i do still gotta write that thread OP tho

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 20, 2019

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Steak posted:

fyi, the "murdereh" line was not that weird in the original, it just highlighted his accent while he said murderer. but since that guy's gimmick was looking korean but having a kansai accent, which is just... not funny to a western audience, i went with the "ambiguous/changing nationality" gag like w the "is he australian?" lol anyway yeah.

tl;dr: im localizer scum and you're forced to deal with me converting yen to dollars every time

How long did it take you to learn Japanese to that level? I'm guessing you're not a native speaker.

It's nice to see some nuance translated to the comics although I don't think I would have seen it without the explanation.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A_Account posted:

How long did it take you to learn Japanese to that level? I'm guessing you're not a native speaker.

I took a class 5 days a week for 2 years, and have been obsessively reading a shitload of Japanese manga/novels in the like 4 years since.

I'm really not all that good. At least, I still have to use the dictionary for words that JMdict has marked as "common" which makes me feel dumb every time lol.

I consider myself well below average when it comes to Japanese fluency. I probably wouldn't even be able to pass the JLPT 3 right now since I'm so unpracticed with writing and listening, plus my studying ethic is poo poo.

On the other hand, I consider myself well above average at the skill of translation. And I believe those things cancel each other out. haha (oh gently caress ive been capitalizing letters properly in this post. my brand is ruined!!!!)

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I see a lot of talking and not much translating. Get to it bitch.

Like every language there's the speaking side of it and the writing/reading so you wouldn't be able to hold a conversation in Japanese?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Steak posted:

I found recently out that they don't have pokédollars in Japanese Pokémon, they just use yen, which is kind of boring. :japan:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mr. Steak posted:

:aaaaa:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A_Account posted:

Like every language there's the speaking side of it and the writing/reading so you wouldn't be able to hold a conversation in Japanese?

let me put it this way: if a customer at my retail job was clearly struggling to speak to me, and i hear them conversing w their spouse in japanese, i would still probably choose to go about the transaction in english rather than roll the dice on if i can do it in japanese.

i can hold a conversation in text no problem though

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
note: this sort of actually happened, and i internally panicked thinking of whether i knew enough sales-related vocab to help them, until it turned out they were speaking korean (i think) lmao they sound similar okay

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yea, same poo poo with a neighboring country's language on my end, that I could halfway speak, but messed up every third word, and the guy just smiled: "We can just talk in english, I know you're trying to be polite but it'll be easier for us both"

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wonder if the chick will have some kind of moral feeling for a second here

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
maybe she's surprised it was so low

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

maybe she's surprised it was so low

I'm pretty confident she knows she's being scammed and knows he stole more.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

If you’re doing the Kansai accent translated to Australian accent, shouldn’t he say “500 dollarydoos”

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Waifu is going to have a spontaneous Come To Jesus moment, roundhouse kick the other thief, take the money back to NEET, and then run off together to live happy ever after.

The End

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

this comic isnt stellar but i'm rebuilding german translation muscles that have atrophied since high school

Matti and Wiese in: ...but
I'm not a nazi, but...
NATSCH
And yet again, someone is saved from talking racist poo poo. A light, please. (eurgh~~)

edit: lol thought I posted this in the pyf comic thread, thanks medicine brain

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 20, 2019

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ive wanted to know what this means for so long but its written in some podunk language nobody speaks

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mr. Steak posted:

ive wanted to know what this means for so long but its written in some podunk language nobody speaks

'Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to let that kidney stone come out naturally...'
I used google translate

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh lol nice

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Mr. Steak posted:

Jesus Christ, this made me tense up like a motherfucker

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

ouchie

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

on the plus side after he passes that kidney stone he'll be able to suck he own dick

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

on the plus side after he passes that kidney stone he'll be able to suck he own dick

And before he passes it if somebody comes at him screaming that it's time for a flail duel he's ready to go.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You might think that's really implausible and if you think that you are living a much better life in a much better part of the world than I.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I loving hate those roving flail gangs. They are the worst.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The artist really nailed the dude's facial expression.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut Butler posted:

edit: lol thought I posted this in the pyf comic thread, thanks medicine brain

hahaha well it indirectly caused a bunch of funny discussion

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

I loving hate those roving flail gangs. They are the worst.

Agreed seriously those guys make me get all :neet:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I for one think the op is too cool for us now and won’t update

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I for one think the op is too cool for us now and won’t update
This is the fault of everyone who voted 5.

We must downvote the thread to humble the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was just about to update but maybe now i won't cuz y'all so ungrateful >:(

(jk i'm working on it now)