Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Cuntellectual posted:

There's basically 0% chance of this happening, unfortunately.

Mission assistance is basically useless if you're not playing on Maddening, since you don't need the healing badly enough to request an extra healer, and there's no point in denying your fighting units the xp from fighting. It's extremely easy to get support ranks with food and flowers.

Oh hey, I recognize this! I'm friends with the artist. I showed her the thread and she was pretty stoked to see her art in the wild.

And then she gave me a print of it because why not, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

idhrendur posted:

Oh hey, I recognize this! I'm friends with the artist. I showed her the thread and she was pretty stoked to see her art in the wild.

And then she gave me a print of it because why not, I guess.
Let her know it's fantastic!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The fan community has created absolute magic.

Also, enjoy the voice of Best Character Gate Guard!
https://twitter.com/Armand_Gman/status/1158933710785241089?s=21

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

There are only the two voiced Seteth Says - Nintendo is very tough about something-or-other and have a standing order that VAs can only do direct quotes. Or something like that.

We're very fortunate to have gotten that much.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

Shei-kun posted:

The fan community has created absolute magic.

Also, enjoy the voice of Best Character Gate Guard!
https://twitter.com/Armand_Gman/status/1158933710785241089?s=21

Oh my god, Seteth's VA actually did the voice for that, amazing. Perfection.

Honestly the memes I saw on Twitter are 100% what drew me in to try playing this game. I'd never held much interest for the FE series beforehand.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I think 3H is the first time I've bought and played a game at launch, been super into it, AND the rest of the internet was also playing it and it hit full meme status. I don't think anything has been quite like hitting a scene like the Bernie supports for the first time, hopping on twitter the next morning, and seeing artwork for it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've got a link to the other voiced one (with an animatic!) but I'll wait until more is revealed about the characters and their motivations for that one.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 6.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing how much worse Rhea made that after mission cutscene.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hunt11 posted:

It is amazing how much worse Rhea made that after mission cutscene.

I try not to comment during cutscenes, since I want to preserve the flow of dialogue, but...yeah. Every time she talks about the church's martial power, I get nervous.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's a JRPG and the church is very Catholic-like. I'll be shocked if it's not evil or Seiros is actually some horrible monster.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If you're in the Thief or Assassin classes do you get extra vision range in Fog of War? That was the case in the GBA games.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

If you're in the Thief or Assassin classes do you get extra vision range in Fog of War? That was the case in the GBA games.

I don't know, unfortunately. I've never taken either into a fog map.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The biggest positive change 3H made was that allied units can no longer kill units marked as bosses.

Of course, they can still rob you of all the other EXP and dropped items but at least the big pinatas are saved for you.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 20, 2019

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I don't know, unfortunately. I've never taken either into a fog map.

I have taken Thieves into fog maps, and they don't. Unless it was a very minor 1-square thing that I forgot about, but I'm 90% sure Thieves in this game don't have fog-vision.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The worst part of fog of war experience is repositioning a unit slightly and having the enemy that was just visible disappear off the map in the middle of your player phase.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

hopeandjoy posted:

The biggest positive change 3H made was that allied units can no longer kills units marked as bosses.

Of course, they can still rob you of all the other EXP and dropped items but at least the big pinatas are saved for you.

A change that comes up surprisingly often for me.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah classes don't really matter in this game like they do in other FEs in my experience. Which is kind of nice tbh (everyone gets to use bows!), but I'd understand if someone prefers the more rigid systems of Emblems past.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
On my latest playthrough Catherine attacked the dude next to her and whiffed all four swings.

Goddamn hilarious.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Ragnar Homsar posted:

However, we must punish any sinner who may inflict harm upon believers, even if those sinners are civilians. I pray the students learned a valuable lesson about the fate that awaits all who are foolish enough to point their blades towards the heavens.

This woman is 100% going to have all of the tentacles in her final form, isn't she?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

It's a JRPG and the church is very Catholic-like. I'll be shocked if it's not evil or Seiros is actually some horrible monster.

I think the churches in Fire Emblem are usually legit, though.

It's the cults you gotta watch out for.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

I think the churches in Fire Emblem are usually legit, though.

It's the cults you gotta watch out for.

Yeah, with the exception of (non Three Houses spoiler) the Tellius games the churches in FE run from helpful to merely benign and the deities tend towards legit benevolent to humans.

The exceptions tend to be outright called cults and fell gods.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rhea's comment is extremely cold, brutal and callous (and it IS), but at the same time it kind of needs to be kept in context. This isn't civilians in the sense of "that guy down the street who said hurtful words to this believer and needs to be burned" it's "that militia member who engaged in armed rebellion and fully intended on putting everyone in their way to the sword." Like, her rebuttal certainly should not be "yeah, it's totally fine to kill them and you should feel good about it," and highlights certain incredibly unpleasant aspects of her, but what's actually being done isn't any different from what would be happening if they'd done the same against any other feudal power base.

It needs to be driven home that the Church here DOESN'T ACTUALLY CARE IF YOU WORSHIP IT, it only cares if you're actively attacking them. This is not a case of "A God am I, worship me or perish." For instance, very few of the high ranking knights of Seiros are religious. Jeralt? Catherine? Another one we haven't met yet? None of them are actually followers the religion.

Honestly, Black Eagles is really not the route that should have been the first for a balanced LP, as it's by far the most slanted of any of the routes in terms of presentation vs. reality (not so evident now, very much so in the future).

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, Black Eagles is really not the route that should have been the first for a balanced LP, as it's by far the most slanted of any of the routes in terms of presentation vs. reality (not so evident now, very much so in the future).

I have my reasons for picking Black Eagles first. That is all I am at liberty to say.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
*that bleep sound effect tv shows use to blur out profanity*

Junpei fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 20, 2019

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

Question: Can we use the "formal" names for the routes without spoiler tags

No, and please edit the spoiler-tagged stuff out.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

church sucks imo

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I have my reasons for picking Black Eagles first. That is all I am at liberty to say.

Nah, I was way too definitive myself - there's certainly interesting things to be gained from doing this route first. It's mainly just bleed over annoyance from dealing with "well, that wasn't your first route, so of COURSE you have that opinion" junk in the Game threads - an "argument" basically exclusive to this route.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

Rhea's comment is extremely cold, brutal and callous (and it IS), but at the same time it kind of needs to be kept in context. This isn't civilians in the sense of "that guy down the street who said hurtful words to this believer and needs to be burned" it's "that militia member who engaged in armed rebellion and fully intended on putting everyone in their way to the sword." Like, her rebuttal certainly should not be "yeah, it's totally fine to kill them and you should feel good about it," and highlights certain incredibly unpleasant aspects of her, but what's actually being done isn't any different from what would be happening if they'd done the same against any other feudal power base.

It needs to be driven home that the Church here DOESN'T ACTUALLY CARE IF YOU WORSHIP IT, it only cares if you're actively attacking them. This is not a case of "A God am I, worship me or perish." For instance, very few of the high ranking knights of Seiros are religious. Jeralt? Catherine? Another one we haven't met yet? None of them are actually followers the religion.

I want to comment on this but due to spoiler stuff should I just shoot you a pm or bring up my points in the game thread?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Black Eagles are the worst because from Hubert all the way to Dorothea they all remind me of theatre kids and I don't want to deal with that period of my life ever again.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Black Eagles are the worst because from Hubert all the way to Dorothea they all remind me of theatre kids and I don't want to deal with that period of my life ever again.

I can't really see Caspar doing theatre.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Cuntellectual posted:

He's the plucky stagehand.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

This map is uh, awful on Maddening.

I don't have too much problem with fog, I'm fairly used to it. But one thing I really miss is stacking thief bonus vision with torches to get like 10 ranges of vision. I'm pretty sure thieves don't get any notable vision increases here so I just brought 3 torches along instead. Torches are good stuff.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Cuntellectual posted:

There’s always a loud plucky kid in theatre and he’s good friends with Linhardt. It wouldn’t surprise me.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Lord Koth posted:

I dunno. Given the overall setting details and the way the routes ultimately differentiate themselves, I tend to think of Black Eagles as "canon" in a "well, which of these makes the most sense as the outcome of the game's themes and plot" sense, myself.

(That's... probably all I can say whilst being circumspect, and I'm not entirely sure if this stays on the right side of the line so feel free to tell me to snip this.)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I want to comment on this but due to spoiler stuff should I just shoot you a pm or bring up my points in the game thread?

I've probably seen your thoughts on the matter at some point in either the main or spoilers thread, but feel free to bring them up in either again, or just wait to have a larger discussion here once we have more to work with.

CmdrKing posted:

I dunno. Given the overall setting details and the way the routes ultimately differentiate themselves, I tend to think of Black Eagles as "canon" in a "well, which of these makes the most sense as the outcome of the game's themes and plot" sense, myself.

(That's... probably all I can say whilst being circumspect, and I'm not entirely sure if this stays on the right side of the line so feel free to tell me to snip this.)

I mean, what you're saying here doesn't actually disagree with what I said. :v: "Best representation of the themes of the game" and "Most impartial and accurate look at what's going on" are not always the same thing, after all.

I also don't necessarily agree with you on your statement - I'm more of the thought that they're all equally "canon", just emphasizing different, equally important, themes of the game - but that's a separate matter and a discussion for a far later time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

I don't have too much problem with fog, I'm fairly used to it. But one thing I really miss is stacking thief bonus vision with torches to get like 10 ranges of vision. I'm pretty sure thieves don't get any notable vision increases here so I just brought 3 torches along instead. Torches are good stuff.

It's really weird to me because there's only even like, one other fog map in the entire game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'd been just as happy if they omitted the fog mechanic entirely here. Yeah you have Divine Pulse and buyable torches, but it's really still a mechanic that's counter to the base principle of Fire Emblem really.

I think there's two other fog maps?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Cuntellectual posted:

It's really weird to me because there's only even like, one other fog map in the entire game.

There's at least three others, but I won't say any more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Mysticblade posted:

Chapter 3 on Maddening is nothing but a lovely guessing game and I hate it. It took me, like, three hours to finally clear it on standard New Game. It was also where I decided that standard New Game Maddening was not going to be a journey that was worth the time to undertake.