Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

BlondRobin posted:

Cotton seeds (along with all the other seeds) should be something you can make by taking another seed and crafting it with chalcedony; I don't believe any of the HaC seeds drop naturally. In 3.0.0 it's sugar cane + any color chalcedony; I don't know what it is in 2.3.3 but I believe it's the same thing. (FWIW, I believe this is a compatibility thing, but I'm not sure why the plants don't drop naturally.)

Silkworms are another story; in 2.3.3 they were explicitly a trade material, from Caravanserai that would spawn with trader villagers in desert and desert-adjacent (for BoP) biomes. I think the idea is you were importing them from Minecraft East Asia, which existed 'somewhere, a very long way away.' However, I don't believe the Caravanserai exist in 3.0.0 yet, if you're using that, and I don't think silkworms are re-added yet- 3.0.0 is a little... beta, though largely functional.

I completely missed the needing to craft it part.
Thanks
too bad about the silkworms though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

There's RLCraft, which is scratching some of that itch for me currently. It's on the twitch launcher, and it's pretty much an adventure/combat focused pack with a little bit of survival thrown in.

A friend and I were going to try this and I spawned near a village, walked in and started looting the houses when a dragon burrowed up out of the ground, cratered half the village and burnt the rest to ashes which spawned a ton of hostile fire dudes. It lagged the hell out of the server having thousands of blocks on the ground in the crater so now we're thinking it's not going to work out.
When we played Craft of the Titans 2 we had to shut down a lot of the dragon stuff because they were lagging things so badly and just made giant ugly spots everywhere. Not sure how to tweak them to be manageable for multiplayer but still a threat like they should be.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm playing a new modpack called Automaton, and...it's not that bad, actually. The progression is clear, the mods are useful, and if you have a good spawn you can breeze through the beginning. It really starts to drag once Immersive Engineering comes into the mix though :( I'm not sure I like that mod.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So thinking on it, as cliche as it sounds, I think my problems boil down to a kinda basic turn around on the game's themes, which are...right there in the name. You mine. You craft. But to actually kinda translate it, it's "you go on vague adventures deep underground (or not, increasingly) to find Cool Things, then play legos with your base and over time make it cooler and better with stuff you find on your vague adventures." The craft can also be looked at as "take the stuff from your vague adventures and make it into a new thing," like sticking three sticks and some iron together to make a sword.

My issue with the heavy focus on automation so many modpacks have is it kinda kills off both of those things. Automation is many things, but it is very rarely aesthetically pleasing; I remember looking at some "optimized" forms of Botania and thinking about how they took the mod all about making magical gardens and made it ugly as poo poo. It's also more or less built around intentionally killing off the vague adventures bit; automation means you absolutely do not want to go out and explore and have vague adventures, you want to sit in your lovely ugly outdoor rube goldberg machine putting in more pipes. And for that last one, you hit the reason for automation, which is so many mods basically removing a lot of that "make a cool new thing" and turn the process into a big pain in the rear end.

I think early game Sevtech is / was super popular because it did really well in both the "play legos with your base" aspect where you're making a fun prehistoric camp, then an actual wooden house surrounded with agriculture, then a proper house made of multiple materials with a sort of miniature village around you, and in the "make a new thing" aspect, where each age makes making poo poo from the previous age easier; it's a pain the first time you make a wheel, and then you go up to the next age and it becomes super easy, so you get that feeling of accomplishment. And Blightfall is super popular for nailing the first and last one; the whole map is built around exploring and finding new places, and you have a semi-consistent upgrading system with the focus around Thaumcraft and Tinker's with minor plays in Blood Magic.

It's also why I think there's such a demand around here for a new Blightfall. Modern modpacks just...don't do this. Sevtech falls apart as it goes on, DDSS was a real fucker of a bait and switch, and everything else is focused on skyblocks, which are basically giving up entirely on the "cool adventures" and "lego base" aspects entirely.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 19, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Depends posted:

A friend and I were going to try this and I spawned near a village, walked in and started looting the houses when a dragon burrowed up out of the ground, cratered half the village and burnt the rest to ashes which spawned a ton of hostile fire dudes. It lagged the hell out of the server having thousands of blocks on the ground in the crater so now we're thinking it's not going to work out.
When we played Craft of the Titans 2 we had to shut down a lot of the dragon stuff because they were lagging things so badly and just made giant ugly spots everywhere. Not sure how to tweak them to be manageable for multiplayer but still a threat like they should be.

Yeah I was running around RLCraft to vet it a bit and some fire dudes were just kind of idly burning some ground and trees creating this absolutely unreasonable amount of lag

I'm getting the feeling Ice and Fire is a really bad mod

(it didn't help that RLCraft seems really... aimless. I can't particularly tell what there even is to significantly do.)

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I find Mindcraft automation is only useful when it's in service of something else, rather than the entire focus. Automating a way to produce lumber is good when I need to to build structures, but I hate it if it's stupidly complicated.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
How are you even supposed to generate mana in Volcano Block? The Endoflame is set up to be ludicrously expensive as a sort of roadblock to enter into Botania in the first place, which is fine, except all the other flowers (save the Hydroangea which has its own problems) require runes to craft, which are again, expensive.
The Hydroangea only lasts 1 hour now, because Vanskii just hates water power with a furious intensity apparently.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ProfessorCirno posted:

So thinking on it, as cliche as it sounds, I think my problems boil down to a kinda basic turn around on the game's themes, which are...right there in the name. You mine. You craft. But to actually kinda translate it, it's "you go on vague adventures deep underground (or not, increasingly) to find Cool Things, then play legos with your base and over time make it cooler and better with stuff you find on your vague adventures." The craft can also be looked at as "take the stuff from your vague adventures and make it into a new thing," like sticking three sticks and some iron together to make a sword.

My issue with the heavy focus on automation so many modpacks have is it kinda kills off both of those things. Automation is many things, but it is very rarely aesthetically pleasing; I remember looking at some "optimized" forms of Botania and thinking about how they took the mod all about making magical gardens and made it ugly as poo poo. It's also more or less built around intentionally killing off the vague adventures bit; automation means you absolutely do not want to go out and explore and have vague adventures, you want to sit in your lovely ugly outdoor rube goldberg machine putting in more pipes. And for that last one, you hit the reason for automation, which is so many mods basically removing a lot of that "make a cool new thing" and turn the process into a big pain in the rear end.

I think early game Sevtech is / was super popular because it did really well in both the "play legos with your base" aspect where you're making a fun prehistoric camp, then an actual wooden house surrounded with agriculture, then a proper house made of multiple materials with a sort of miniature village around you, and in the "make a new thing" aspect, where each age makes making poo poo from the previous age easier; it's a pain the first time you make a wheel, and then you go up to the next age and it becomes super easy, so you get that feeling of accomplishment. And Blightfall is super popular for nailing the first and last one; the whole map is built around exploring and finding new places, and you have a semi-consistent upgrading system with the focus around Thaumcraft and Tinker's with minor plays in Blood Magic.

It's also why I think there's such a demand around here for a new Blightfall. Modern modpacks just...don't do this. Sevtech falls apart as it goes on, DDSS was a real fucker of a bait and switch, and everything else is focused on skyblocks, which are basically giving up entirely on the "cool adventures" and "lego base" aspects entirely.

s/Minecraft/Autogrind

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Is there a pack for just building cities, and bases with a large amount of biomes and less about progression?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Krataar posted:

Is there a pack for just building cities, and bases with a large amount of biomes and less about progression?

https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-builders-paradise

Or just play whatever kitchen sink pack, like Revelations or DW20, and ignore everything that doesn't interest you. I've been playing modded that way, with friends, for years now. I'm not a fan of progression stuff for the most part.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Krataar posted:

I've made a modpack aiming at this — you can decide how successful it is. Jebcraft has a number of options for building that the FTB Builder's Paradise pack lacks, like Cathedral and Chinese Workshop. A couple of caveats:

- It's still a survival pack, and actually a bit more difficult than many.
- Like FTB-BP, it does include ProjectE, but it's strictly to help with building. All of its items except the transmutation table and (I think) the Mk1 condenser are disabled. You can't generate EMC points passively with generators, and you can only exchange basic building blocks, not ores or items tied to mod progression.
- I don't know what you consider 'progression'. Nothing in the modpack is gated behind another mod, but obviously most major mods require you to do things in a certain order, like research in Thaumcraft or astronomy in Astral Sorcery.

Finally, Jebcraft is a multiplayer pack. It works just fine in single player, too, but if that's what you want then it will help your load times to go through the mods folder and delete things like FTB Utilities.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I started running a tekxit server for some friends of mine and it's been a lot of fun. I got to dicking around with turtles today and wrote a cool little program for automatically harvesting living rock. One of my players was complaining about having to do it manually.

Next goal:

1) Make the turtle stop to dump product and pick up reagents from a chest.
2) Make turtle refuel itself when empty

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh great. Embers pipes are completely awful for anything except going from point A to point B. They seem to ignore adjacent inventories until they get to the end of the pipe, then if they can't push items there they go backwards and attempt a random inventory along the line, getting stuck if it fails. Or does it just stop at the end of the line and do nothing, clogging up previous pipe blocks? Either way it just clogs.
This means you can't use them to sort items with barrels or other similar storage blocks.

Volcano Block doesn't seem to have any way at all of doing this, in fact. You have inspirations pipes which are one-way pipes that can't split, only merge. You have embers pipes, which don't work either. Then you have the corporea network, which is an endgame storage solution instead of basic item sorting. Then you have Integrated Tunnels, which I only just found but appears to be something similar to AE/RS?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I can’t remember if embers pipes explode but I do remember a big setup I had getting messed up by a single unexpected item in a pipe. I really like the aesthetic of Embers though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Embers is pure aesthetic. A lot of really cool looking designs, and an absolute pain in the rear end to try and rig together or combine with anything.

...But I really do love it's look. The dwarven magi-teck thing is something that's always been weirdly missing from Minecraft, a game where you think it'd be a natural fit.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Embers gets its own little wing/room of the base to do embers things because it looks really cool and then never touched again unless required.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Can you just stick Mekanism pipes into an Embers setup?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

McFrugal posted:

Then you have Integrated Tunnels, which I only just found but appears to be something similar to AE/RS?

You should be using Integrated Tunnels.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

Oh great. Embers pipes are completely awful for anything except going from point A to point B. They seem to ignore adjacent inventories until they get to the end of the pipe, then if they can't push items there they go backwards and attempt a random inventory along the line, getting stuck if it fails. Or does it just stop at the end of the line and do nothing, clogging up previous pipe blocks? Either way it just clogs.
This means you can't use them to sort items with barrels or other similar storage blocks.

Volcano Block doesn't seem to have any way at all of doing this, in fact. You have inspirations pipes which are one-way pipes that can't split, only merge. You have embers pipes, which don't work either. Then you have the corporea network, which is an endgame storage solution instead of basic item sorting. Then you have Integrated Tunnels, which I only just found but appears to be something similar to AE/RS?

We used hoppers, floppers, and the inspirations pipes until Integrated Dynamics opened up. I'd planned to use Embers pipes but the lead requirement was a bottleneck that ended up pushing us towards ID. The only thing I ended up using from Embers after we got the few things required from it in the quest chain were a handful of item vacuums for the tree farm and mob farm.

I'd always skipped ID in other packs because there was normally another alternative I was more familiar with but being forced to use it in Volcano Block I really like it. It's super easy to use for basic cabling and once you have a good supply of menril the cables are cheap and really fast. Stick some item interfaces on some chests and connect them with cables then slap a storage display on the cable somewhere and you have a storage network you can pull and craft from.
Doing more complex things then basic item filtering and item/energy/fluid transport can get tricky but seems like if you have the patience to puzzle the how of it out it appears to be pretty powerful.

Like just doing something simple such as displaying the amount of blood I had in my storage tank on a display screen required a fluid reader on the tank, a variable card for the inventory amount integer the reader was seeing in the tank, a variable card changing the integer to a string, a variable card for the string "blood: ", a variable store to place all those into and then a variable card concatenating the two strings together to place in the display screen.
Granted there may have been an easier way but that was the way I figured out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Depends posted:

Doing more complex things then basic item filtering and item/energy/fluid transport can get tricky but seems like if you have the patience to puzzle the how of it out it appears to be pretty powerful.

Like just doing something simple such as displaying the amount of blood I had in my storage tank on a display screen required a fluid reader on the tank, a variable card for the inventory amount integer the reader was seeing in the tank, a variable card changing the integer to a string, a variable card for the string "blood: ", a variable store to place all those into and then a variable card concatenating the two strings together to place in the display screen.
Granted there may have been an easier way but that was the way I figured out.

There isn't. You did it the right way.

Integrated Dynamics is ridiculously complex. It uses an entire handmade functional language to do its voodoo. I had to read up on currying to figure out how to do this, for example:

This thing was for reading the fill level of an arbitrary number of batteries in a battery buffer. I had to partially define the function to read the NBT data on a battery item, and loop over all batteries in the inventory.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Integrated Dynamics is ridiculously complex. It uses an entire handmade functional language to do its voodoo. I had to read up on currying to figure out how to do this, for example:

This thing was for reading the fill level of an arbitrary number of batteries in a battery buffer. I had to partially define the function to read the NBT data on a battery item, and loop over all batteries in the inventory.

Yeah it definitely made me feel incredibly dumb when trying to parse it.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The most "complicated" thing I did with it was make a thing that counted a seed drawer contents and crafted more seeds from the crops to add to the drawer if the number dropped too low and I'm still not sure why it works but it does.
I never did figure out how to get my primordium truly automated but I did as suggested in the thread and gave the exporter a list to fill with and pre-filled the reactor with crops so it kept things topped off... Until the server restarted or something, it's happened a few times where if the ID network lags enough behind the reactor uses one of the stacks it slowly uses up everything and fills with one crop or another slowing everything down.
My only real complaints about ID so far.
The complexity which is not necessarily a good or bad thing but it is a hurdle.
If it stops working I can pop off any cable and replace it and it all starts up again just fine, which ended up being bad for precise redstone writers, adding a cable reset them and screwed up the counts.

Oh, and wonky shades/orientations on some facades was a bit frustrating.

Depends fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 20, 2019

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

ProfessorCirno posted:

Posting twice in almost a row but this is 100% The Truth. Early game Sevtech is great! Late game is sucks. Blightfall was amazing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah late-game Sevtech really fell apart but I'd also argue Blightfall did as well while both were still really fun up until the end-game. DDSS is one I've still been enjoying even with its ridiculous requirements but I'm probably a broken person who really enjoys what it's going for. :shrug:

Really though what I'm waiting for is ME^Infinity to be completed because that was a great set of maps.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 20, 2019

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Quietly hoping Hytale saves me from eight years of Minecraft/modding baggage.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
isn't the blightfall guy (talonos) working on another modpack

so there's that to look forward to at least

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

President Ark posted:

isn't the blightfall guy (talonos) working on another modpack

so there's that to look forward to at least

Last we heard yes but it's been radio silence for a long time.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Rynoto posted:

Yeah late-game Sevtech really fell apart but I'd also argue Blightfall did as well while both were still really fun up until the end-game. DDSS is one I've still been enjoying even with its ridiculous requirements but I'm probably a broken person who really enjoys what it's going for. :shrug:

Really though what I'm waiting for is ME^Infinity to be completed because that was a great set of maps.

I felt like the only place Blightfall fell apart was the proper final goal; which *sounds* like it should be a huge issue, except that in reality even if you did it, while it would take many times the actual runtime of the rest of the modpack actually executing the goal consisted of maybe 5% of the actual effort or content. If you could assemble and fuel the Dawn Totem, you could essentially do it forever because the whole point was the renewability of its resources, so skipping it and giving yourself the tokens for free to 'win' or just saying 'yep, I won' and moving on didn't really make you miss anything. It did make for a flat ending, but if you're just asking "how much of this pack is fun content to do" Blightfall probably has the highest good-to-bad content.

Meanwhile Sevtech kind of loses its footing into the industrial ages and never really gets it back despite going on into several new mods and for a significant amount of 'content.' IMO this is largely because you... run out of places to go, because of the mod's semi-self imposed requirement to offer passage through 'realistic' ages, which cuts out the magic mods in the technology ages. Problem: that's where all the dimensions and adventure locations are. The only thing really left is Galacticraft, which after trying to get into it in my latest self-rolled pack is, um...

(checks notes)

ah yes- bad. It's not, like, terrible, but what good it does do is utterly drowned in tedious busywork (i get it, you love rocketry programs, but these immensely tedious-to-build rockets aren't re-usable????) Even when you get to other planets they're largely 'what if the overworld, but it was one mostly flat plain made out of one surface type??' with the dungeons being a linear corridor of rooms and spawners which is exactly the worst environment for minecraft combat. Extra Planets has some more interesting planets, but in turn buries them underneath *even more* tedious busywork, which isn't really a positive.

In terms of pure run-time, I'd say Sevtech has about as much 'good' content as Blightfall, though personally I had more fun with Blightfall. Sevtech wasn't bad, by any means, it just went on much longer after it ran out its welcome than Blightfall.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

galacticraft planets really needed... new mobs

"all the old mobs with helmets" DOESN'T CUT IT

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

There is a special level of hell reserved for pack makers who inflict both Galacticraft and Extra Planets on you.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I've made a modpack aiming at this — you can decide how successful it is. Jebcraft has a number of options for building that the FTB Builder's Paradise pack lacks, like Cathedral and Chinese Workshop. A couple of caveats:

- It's still a survival pack, and actually a bit more difficult than many.
- Like FTB-BP, it does include ProjectE, but it's strictly to help with building. All of its items except the transmutation table and (I think) the Mk1 condenser are disabled. You can't generate EMC points passively with generators, and you can only exchange basic building blocks, not ores or items tied to mod progression.
- I don't know what you consider 'progression'. Nothing in the modpack is gated behind another mod, but obviously most major mods require you to do things in a certain order, like research in Thaumcraft or astronomy in Astral Sorcery.

Finally, Jebcraft is a multiplayer pack. It works just fine in single player, too, but if that's what you want then it will help your load times to go through the mods folder and delete things like FTB Utilities.

Is this something I can get through the twitch launcher?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Krataar posted:

Is this something I can get through the twitch launcher?

No, I'm afraid we use the Technic launcher for updates. The good news is that I don't remove anything from the client side except dynmap; once you download it through technic, you can copy the modpack files to a MultiMC instance (maybe Twitch too?) and it works just fine.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'd argue that the other problem with this is that vanialla MC isn't really great at "vague adventures" due to how limited a lot of the systems are. Combat is just "swing sword at the same five mobs", and a lot of the time combat feels more tedious than anything else.

I wish more mods would try to improve the "vague adventure" part of things without going nuts with Lycanite's-level mobs. Ice & Fire is good, but sometimes loves to put a dragon high next to your spawn point.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Patware posted:

galacticraft planets really needed... new mobs

"all the old mobs with helmets" DOESN'T CUT IT

If there was anything at all to do on the other planets it would be a better mod. Instead you rocket off into space to...run lovely dungeons and dig all the way down for a new kind of metal so you can fly off to somewhere further away and do the same thing again. Woo.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

My friends are looking for an action-rpg conversion mod, where you can level up classes and get abilities from them. Unfortunately, I haven't touched minecraft in 5 years.

Are there any solid mods that would let a team of three take on different RPG classes and have deeper combat?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there's Skillable, but i feel like all Skillable really accomplishes is to slow the game down

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Looks like there's something pretty huge here: http://minekraft-ultra.com/

They say they took inspiration from Hexen, which I remember being a pretty fun old fantasy shooter. Not sure if there's anything dubious involved with the mod, or whether it's only compatible with older versions.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone tried Roguelike Dungeons and Adventures? It looks like it might be kind of neat.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Falcon2001 posted:

Anyone tried Roguelike Dungeons and Adventures? It looks like it might be kind of neat.

I glanced at it briefly, but at least from the quest book's presentation it's very much 'okay here's some mods and dungeons go have fun!' It's sort of the opposite problem of a lot of modpacks, in that it just throws down some dimensions and there's not a lot of reason to do them except that they're there; there's no goals or story, and the mod is exclusively a bunch of random dimensions, monster, and loot mods; there's little to bring back and expand on, you're never going to be fixing up your base because your base will really never be much more than a place to store your stuff and you won't be there most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
My main issue with the more exploration and dungeon diving mods is that you can't really do fine control on monsters and where they spawn/what they do.

So every dungeon, no matter how cool or well designed, is just "This is a room full of assholes. They spawn endlessly from a block. Run in and kill the block, try not to die, and then clean up the remaining assholes milling around."