Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Black August posted:

That post just reminds me how much I still love Terraria and its endless updates with more QoL adds each time, on top of an increasingly robust modding community that adds even MORE QoL adds and really cool cheat functions for those who just want to build cool homes after playing out the exploration aspect.

I feel like it's been 4 or 5 times now that they've released a huge content update, said it was the last one, only to later announce another huge content update. These things are free. How are they sustaining this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ariong posted:

I feel like it's been 4 or 5 times now that they've released a huge content update, said it was the last one, only to later announce another huge content update. These things are free. How are they sustaining this?
Same with Stardew Valley, though the updates are fewer. The dev has said all updates will always be free--no paid DLC.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Also I think Terraria is still making money, at this point its been what, 9 years? That's enough time for people to grow up and get interested in Terraria and the game is cheap and dense enough to be a really good buy. Also ports, they just released a switch port so they are basically doing the same thing skyrim does but it actually is a better game every time they do so. Except for the mobile version, that one is apparently quite bad now compared to its previous version.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Terraria for switch released for $30. Such a weird move.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Switch people are crazy and will pay huge markups for old games.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ariong posted:

Think about how many copies Terraria has sold. It's in the millions. It was made by like...six people. My guess is that they're looking at their gigantic bags of money and going "you know what, we're set." Plus it just keeps selling more copies anyway so it isn't like they aren't getting paid.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Sep 19, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aphrodite posted:

Reported for doxxing :mad:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

The Nintendo Tax is kind of crazy. Used Switch games from release are still 50 bucks and up. Their eshop actually has things go on sale sometimes at least, including, very rarely, older first party games, but 30 bucks for an 8 year old game isn’t that out of place for a Nintendo console.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

Something something God's System and Worth it for Portable

They also have disposable income out the rear end because dropping $400 immediately to save $80 on new games was feasible. And that makes my broke rear end jealous

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Nintendo Tax is kind of crazy. Used Switch games from release are still 50 bucks and up. Their eshop actually has things go on sale sometimes at least, including, very rarely, older first party games, but 30 bucks for an 8 year old game isn’t that out of place for a Nintendo console.

Whether Nintendo knew what they were doing or not (and who can tell?) the Switch did show me that there's a lot of games I'm not interested in playing on my PC but will inexplicably play in short-form portable gaming sessions.

And to think I only bought it for Splat 2

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Look selling old games for $30 when they were $60 at release is still greedy, but hey makes sense it costs less than when it came out.

Terraria cost $10, regularly on sale for $5 or less. 8 years pass and it costs $30. Apparently it's the publisher 505 games being greedy fucks.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I got my money's worth out of the switch port. I'm probably doing the same with the Baldur's Gate port next month. It's cheap elsewhere but if I put a couple hundred hours in the markup doesn't mean that much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rodbeard posted:

I got my money's worth out of the switch port. I'm probably doing the same with the Baldur's Gate port next month. It's cheap elsewhere but if I put a couple hundred hours in the markup doesn't mean that much.

Is it any different from the Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition you can get for literally any mobile device for a fraction of the price?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
People always seem to attribute stuff like that to the Switch tax when in reality it's because if you port a game over to a new system, you're not going to price it at bargain bin prices, you're going to start high and then eventually being it lower over time.

Edit: released on ps4 for $30 too so I don't know what the confusion is about

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I could save 20 bucks by trying to play on my tiny rear end phone or I could just buy it for an actual gaming system that's fun to use.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Five minutes in and Untitled Goose Game is already amazing, but the options on the pause menu are all British road signs <3

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Flint_Paper posted:

Five minutes in and Untitled Goose Game is already amazing, but the options on the pause menu are all British road signs <3
Where did you get this from? It is very relevant to my interests.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

It has a honk button so honestly not sure why everyone doesn't have a copy already.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Where did you get this from? It is very relevant to my interests.

Epic still shows Coming Soon for me, which is lame. At least all the Batman games are free for whatever reason.

Edit - devs say 9 am PST for NA folks, both Switch and Epic. What thread is this again?

Ariza has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Sep 20, 2019

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It seems I need this game.

(It's on Switch and Epic, though doesn't seem to have actually released on Epic in the UK yet.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is Goose Game just Goat Simulator only as a Goose?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

It's out on Switch in the UK.

Not like goat simulator at all to be honest. More Metal Gear Solid, if Snake was an arsehole who stole people's sandwiches and dropped them in a pond [I]for no reason[/].

Two more little things: the plinky-plonk piano soundtrack is PERFECT and v silent movie, and the noise of the honk varies depending on what's in the horrible goose's beak.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Elfface posted:

It seems I need this game.

Thanks for giving us a gander.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I need that game.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can you play as a Canada goose?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Phy posted:

Can you play as a Canada goose?

Hey man, this is an rear end in a top hat simulator, not a squawking demon simulator.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Art that seems as quaint but gorgeous as Push Me Pull You but actual gameplay that entertains for more than 15 minutes?! Sign me the gently caress up!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Hey man, this is an rear end in a top hat simulator, not a squawking demon simulator.

You got a problem with canada gooses you got a problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

You got a problem with canada gooses you got a problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate

Buddy if a canada goose comes at me honking aggressively I am not ashamed to roundhouse kick it until it learns its lesson. You live in Canada, you learn this well.

Edit: If you are a canada goose I will do the same I will not hesitate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joey Freshwater posted:

Morpheus posted:

Buddy if a canada goose comes at me honking aggressively I am not ashamed to roundhouse kick it until it learns its lesson. You live in Canada, you learn this well.

Whoever Joey Freshwater is, or rather was, I suspect they're now laying dead on the floor of their room and their computer is being operated by a Canadian Goose as we speak. Just nod, play along, and call animal control... :ohdear:.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Joey Freshwater posted:

can we get a pyf mod in here to ban this loving goose????

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

You roundhouse kicked a goose? Are you mad, man? You do NOT piss off the goose more than you have to, otherwise they WILL hunt you down and make your life a living hell, the only release being the cold, icy grip of winter's Embrace. And guess what, winter's embrace is getting shorter every year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Randalor posted:

You roundhouse kicked a goose? Are you mad, man? You do NOT piss off the goose more than you have to, otherwise they WILL hunt you down and make your life a living hell, the only release being the cold, icy grip of winter's Embrace. And guess what, winter's embrace is getting shorter every year.

Where do you live that snow stops the cobrachicken? Those fuckers walk around hissing and making themselves look big all year round up here and I'm not going to be known as the guy who fought a goose so they just get to have their way

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Flint_Paper posted:

More Metal Gear Solid, if Snake was an arsehole who stole people's sandwiches and dropped them in a pond for no reason.

:swoon:

Well I know what my next game'll be when I get some more time.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Len posted:

Where do you live that snow stops the cobrachicken? Those fuckers walk around hissing and making themselves look big all year round up here and I'm not going to be known as the guy who fought a goose so they just get to have their way

You may as well before those bastards stage a false feather attack.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

:swoon:

Well I know what my next game'll be when I get some more time.

I instabought it as I read that while taking a poo poo (I keep my switch in the bathroom)

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1175055677372293120?s=19

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I don't know where you guys live, but here in Ottawa, the geese are pretty chill.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

New Wave Jose posted:

I don't know where you guys live, but here in Ottawa, the geese are pretty chill.

It might just be that we Ottawans have learned not to aggravate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
You buttheads need to watch Letterkenny

https://youtu.be/MWQAJxQfayo