Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I like Escanor because everytime he gets a big fight people expect him to job. Except he never does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't get why people like Escanor so much.

He's just so... boring and one note.

I love Escanor because he's exactly what he needed to be, the peak of Humanity and a prideful gentleman at that. He's the kind of guy who made a top ranking demon punk out and petrify himself. He's the guy unnaffected by an AOE ability that turns all hostility into hypnosis because he doesn't give a single gently caress about anyone he considers beneath him besides pity. He's the man who could be empowered to 20% of his full strength purely because he loves a woman so much. And he's the man whose best attacks aren't with the divine axe he wields, but his bare hands named a holy sword and holy spear. And there's a great draw to the fights because you're checking the sundial for when it's high noon. Because that's when things go from great to insane. This man showed out every single member of the Demon King's lineage in humiliating fashion. He backs up his poo poo talking every time. "Oh you only can target people who hate you? I don't feel anything but pity". "Oh I'm locked in an unbreakable cube with a fully powered captain? nah! You're locked in here with me." "King of the demons, maybe a guy worthy of my time has finally arrived" and the result is always the same.

Daddy dearest will be the next on this collage.

But above all, the reason why I love escanor is because Nakaba clearly is having fun with this guy throughout a series of self-admittedly weak arcs. I said it earlier but once the 10 commandments show up the story starts to take a dive in quality and I've long since lost interest. But it's nice to have a character who is just having fun with it all and carries himself with style. If nothing else the same sort of appeal I had for Banchou Kongou, and the earlier parts of 7DS where Meliodas and Ban's game of arm wrestling leveled a prison is alive in this character.

tl;dr

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah but he's not Ban so who gives a poo poo?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also it's kinda cool to have a character who is more powerful than the MC on the good guy side who DOES consistently do things and gets the fights he needs to fight instead of instantly getting side-lined to avoid "ruining the story".

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Re: Latest chapter of Chainsawman

You’d think this was a slice of life romance manga if you only looked at some of the pages from this chapter without any context. It was nice and slow paced which was a great intermission considering how much action there normally is. Plus there’s a lot of show-not-tell to digest.

I enjoyed the ambiguity in this chapter. I’m pretty sure that the purpose was to show that Makima also has a devil for a heart and also was close with her devil, seeing as both her and Denji cried at the scene which depicted what appeared to be two friends (?) from drastically different backgrounds reuniting with a hug. We don’t really know the context of the scene but that seems to make the most sense given Denji’s life experiences and his desire to see Pochita again. Plus, when Denji and Makima first met, she did mention that he seemed similar to him.

On the other hand, Makima has been shown to be a master manipulator. She knew about the mafia ambush but let it happen to further her own influence. She also said that Denji was going to be her obedient dog/slave during their first encounter as well. Maybe she really did notice Denji tearing up and faked her own tears in order to get even closer to him. Maybe she intends to have him do some really dirty work in the future and she really needs to make sure that he trusts her and is dedicated to her which is why she’s going out of her way to bond with him.

Another thought is that she invited Denji out to make him forget about Power. She’s basically being forcibly bloodletted which is probably a lovely thing to experience and she seemed terrified. Too bad for Power that Denji doesn’t really give a poo poo about her lol. Probably just overthinking a gag though.

Fire punch dude managed to fit his fetish of movie theatres into a major publication, go him

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

yum posted:

You’d think this was a slice of life romance manga if you only looked at some of the pages from this chapter without any context. It was nice and slow paced which was a great intermission considering how much action there normally is. Plus there’s a lot of show-not-tell to digest.

I enjoyed the ambiguity in this chapter. I’m pretty sure that the purpose was to show that Makima also has a devil for a heart and also was close with her devil, seeing as both her and Denji cried at the scene which depicted what appeared to be two friends (?) from drastically different backgrounds reuniting with a hug. We don’t really know the context of the scene but that seems to make the most sense given Denji’s life experiences and his desire to see Pochita again. Plus, when Denji and Makima first met, she did mention that he seemed similar to him.

On the other hand, Makima has been shown to be a master manipulator. She knew about the mafia ambush but let it happen to further her own influence. She also said that Denji was going to be her obedient dog/slave during their first encounter as well. Maybe she really did notice Denji tearing up and faked her own tears in order to get even closer to him. Maybe she intends to have him do some really dirty work in the future and she really needs to make sure that he trusts her and is dedicated to her which is why she’s going out of her way to bond with him.

Another thought is that she invited Denji out to make him forget about Power. She’s basically being forcibly bloodletted which is probably a lovely thing to experience and she seemed terrified. Too bad for Power that Denji doesn’t really give a poo poo about her lol. Probably just overthinking a gag though.

Fire punch dude managed to fit his fetish of movie theatres into a major publication, go him

Everything Makima does with Denji is absolutely just so she can manipulate him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Also it's kinda cool to have a character who is more powerful than the MC on the good guy side who DOES consistently do things and gets the fights he needs to fight instead of instantly getting side-lined to avoid "ruining the story".

This this this, very rare for there to be a bigger badass than the MC on the hero squad who consistently gets to fight on shonen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Plutonis posted:

This this this, very rare for there to be a bigger badass than the MC on the hero squad who consistently gets to fight on shonen.

Even rarer when it's a woman. I still like Erza even though Fairy Tail was bad.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

RatHat posted:

Everything Makima does with Denji is absolutely just so she can manipulate him.

Deffo but maybe she has a little bit of sympathy/pity for him too

like in an abandoned puppy on the side of the road way

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's definitely manipulation, but for the time being it's in a positive direction. He is a more useful asset if he doesn't feel alienated from humanity wondering if he's lost his ability to feel genuine human emotion. But I think that while her motive is manipulative, her understanding is genuine--movie plan wasn't a total shot in the dark, it looks like it's something she does to keep her own tether.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

I stopped reading 7 Deadly Sins awhile ago because I decided it wasn't good and not worth the time each week, but the only character I really liked at all was Ban, because his fights were fun due to his immortality.

Watching him get his poo poo kicked in just to scratch his opponent, then get up and do it again and again was pretty cool to me.

Ban is good because he reminds me of the best Kongou Banchou character, Hikyou Banchou.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Even rarer when it's a woman. I still like Erza even though Fairy Tail was bad.

Natsu ending up doing every final boss fight or major fight really did bug me. Especially since Ezra was way stronger than him for most of the series. Also Laxus and Makarov.

The worst for me was during the magic tournament where you get Natsu and Gazelle fighting against 2 other Dragon Slayers and then when things are at their climax Natsu just shoves Gazelle down a tunnel or whatever and then solos them.

Like what the gently caress is that poo poo.

gently caress you Natsu. I hate you.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

yum posted:

Yeah, it was really good.

I'm currently inclined to believe that at some point Denji will have to kill Mashima only to discover that she actually does really like him. Not in a love kinda way, but more in a motherly kind of way.

That way Power can be his sister. I do love how easy Denji was about that, despite how him and Power are so close together.

7Deadly Sins: Ban was great. The reactions to his immortality were great and his bromance with Meliodas were great. His backstory was also pretty drat good. Then the girl he loved was resurrected and he became decidedly less good. :(

Good words my man.

This is a man who's mustache curls up with power.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 20, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I pretty much read what I did of Deadly Sins because I saw a buncha YouTube videos of Escanor chapters, and even then I pretty much only read the Escanor chapters before reading the ongoing chapters so I know very little of the actual story but I still love Escanor.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We never learn
I was a little worried there. :ohdear:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Team Uruka all but confirmed at this point.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Shounen hero Uruka-chan

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Halfway expected her to pick him up and carry him princess-style.

Also of course Uruka enjoys Kirisu's driving.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holy loving poo poo Act Age

Yonagi is going to be on one.

the writer and Yonagi's director obviously knew her dad from when she visited. but yikes that certainly is something.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Darth TNT posted:

We never learn

#TeamUruka

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dexo posted:

Holy loving poo poo Act Age

Yonagi is going to be on one.

the writer and Yonagi's director obviously knew her dad from when she visited. but yikes that certainly is something.
I question the wisdom of using the "I was loving your dad while you were at your mom's funeral" technique on a method actor

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fabricated posted:

I question the wisdom of using the "I was loving your dad while you were at your mom's funeral" technique on a method actor

If what you want to bring out of your actor is barely contained rage while she has to try and stay in character and a 100% Sync rate with the emotions her character is supposed to be feeling then that's probably about the best thing one could do with a method actor.

Well short term anyway. Long term..welp.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well you still have to be able to perform is the thing. Channeling anger isn't the same thing as actually being super pissed off.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

We never learn
It predictable to the letter but I still cried because I love these kids so much and I need them all to be happy.

I also cried at Mitama Security because it's so loving funny to me. I really hope it does well, the art is poo poo but the gags are so good.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Seven Deadly Sins:
Escanor never fails to disappoint. Non mangastream translation.

Time for some Escanor backstory!

Also, I'm still loving Escanor always backing up his infinite smacktalk

Pictured, one of the good guys:

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 21, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Escanor is so rad

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

High Noon isn't my final form

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

Escanor is so rad

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not that anyone cares, but in the latest Fairy Tail Sequel Erza broke Jellal out of being hypnotized by the main villain through what can only be called the power of blueballs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jellal sucks and Erza can do better.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not that anyone cares, but in the latest Fairy Tail Sequel Erza broke Jellal out of being hypnotized by the main villain through what can only be called the power of blueballs.

I stopped reading it because I had no idea what was going on, everything seemed overwrought and the fanservice? totally not sex was annoying.
I'm still reading Space Tale though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

I stopped reading it because I had no idea what was going on, everything seemed overwrought and the fanservice? totally not sex was annoying.
I'm still reading Space Tale though.

I'm still reading it because I'm a sucker for Natsu being dumb and punching things.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Escanor’s just great because every time a rule is introduced by himself or others, he just completely nosells it and becomes even more absurd.

This manga would be completely dead without him, hell it’s the only reason I still bother to follow it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he would have gotten tedious by now, but his Best Character status was cemented by that recent scene where he tries to fight some nameless monster in his de-powered form, gets entire chunks hacked out of him, and is still exhilarated that he was able to contribute in some small way even without the help of Sunshine

escanor's great in every state

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how early on you think "Escanor is kinda creepy being in love with that younger woman" and then you find out Merlin is actually infinity years old and she's the one who is being weird with Arthur (though to be fair I'm not sure if that was actually romantic at all).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I like how early on you think "Escanor is kinda creepy being in love with that younger woman" and then you find out Merlin is actually infinity years old and she's the one who is being weird with Arthur (though to be fair I'm not sure if that was actually romantic at all).
If the age gap is centuries but both characters are above the age of 50 or 100, does it even matter anymore?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

If the age gap is centuries but both characters are above the age of 50 or 100, does it even matter anymore?
only if one of them looks like they're 12

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah. Neither of them look like small children, there isn't constant sexual harassment, and it's not based on events that one of them was too young to even remember, so it's a step up over like every other pairing in the series.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Yeah. Neither of them look like small children, there isn't constant sexual harassment, and it's not based on events that one of them was too young to even remember, so it's a step up over like every other pairing in the series.

Did you forget about Merlin's true form?

Oxxidation posted:

he would have gotten tedious by now, but his Best Character status was cemented by that recent scene where he tries to fight some nameless monster in his de-powered form, gets entire chunks hacked out of him, and is still exhilarated that he was able to contribute in some small way even without the help of Sunshine

escanor's great in every state
That was pretty brutal yes, but he will always have his pride.

edit:----

Space tale continues to be just stupid enough to be fun :)

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

Did you forget about Merlin's true form?

Yes. I did forget, drat it. What the gently caress is up with the romance in 7DS? poo poo beats out Fairy Tail for creepy.