Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Drake_263 posted:

Maybe it's defending its eggs/young that a Seamoth could conceivably be a threat to?

If it was a AAA title, this would have been a cool action scene where you have to covertly extract DNA from it's eggs while it's attempting to murder you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Tetrabor posted:

If it was a AAA title, this would have been a cool action scene where you have to covertly extract DNA from it's eggs while it's attempting to murder you.

Most of which would be on-rails animation, pressing X to extract DNA, and the illusion of interactivity!

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

A mega leviathan’s sole purpose would be to go after the cyclops and create a real late game threat. A super leviathan wouldn’t even bother with the seamoth.

The problem is that in addition to having to scale everything up (creatures, environments, draw distances...) to make this work when it currently barely works at the current scale, in terms of mechanics a player swimming and a player driving the cyclops are almost playing different games. Swimming is about being small and maneuverable but having to manage multiple angles of approach and oxygen while focusing on a task while driving the cyclops more like an Atlantis expansion back for Euro Truck Simulator.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I managed to build a base on one of the deepest Crash Zone mesas with really tall towers and glass corridors connecting them, then parked my cyclops right alongside the corridor.

From that perspective, while inside the base, it was the first time the Cyclops really looked as huge as it's supposed to. It was almost shocking (and awesome). I should take a screenshot (but am currently busy with other stuff).

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

There was an update to Below Zero yesterday. The Ice Worm is in, as well as some new areas.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Containing my excitement for full release. Such a bummer trying to take it all in piecemeal.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Zesty posted:

Containing my excitement for full release. Such a bummer trying to take it all in piecemeal.

Yup a full release going in blind VR play-through is the present I've promised myself for the future.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Not a fan of the Ice Worm, it feels more like a video game obstacle than an actual creature.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are you guys hopeful for the early 2020 release date? Is it looking likely? Unlike with the base game where i knew every nook and cranny before the game was close to done i haven't touched early access at all this time. But dude i'm so loving horny for more underwater adventures now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Dongattack posted:

Are you guys hopeful for the early 2020 release date?

They are updating the game at a steady pace so it definitely seems possible, but it depends on how much stuff they still want to put in the game.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Early Access is a blight - this is the only game I've ever bought on Early Access, and the only reason I did was because (a) I knew it was going to buy it when it comes out and (b) it was cheaper to buy now than it will be when it comes out.

But I'm definitely not going to play it now. Spend hours on a half-finished game and in doing so dilute the experience of the actual polished product? No way.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Pretty much why I bought it, too, in addition to wanting to support developers who proved that they could actually finish a game they put out in early access previously (as a late buyer of the original in february of this year). Hopefully they can resolve more bugs this time around, though I never had any really terrible experiences besides the cyclops ejection bug.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Summer or Fall 2020 seems like a lock if they slip on April. Witcher 3 went through a similar slide from "late 2014" to "February 2015" before finally landing in May of '15.
:shrug:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm sure this was said well earlier in the thread but Outer Wilds is really giving me some of the same exploration-terror as Subnautica does sometimes, and the same feeling of slowly uncovering a mystery. Obviously the mechanics of the two games are very distinct but I still cannot recommend Outer Wilds enough. Theres even an all-water planet which is REAL hosed up!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I share the general sentiment that starting Subnautica in EA diminishes the experience, since I first played the original before they even patched in the storyline, but at the same time it can be a good way to really learn the mechanics and stuff for a proper playthrough

With that in mind how are the base building mechanics in Below Zero right now? Are any of the bigger rooms implemented? Have they added any modules for the sea truck? Outside of the narrative itself which I assume is still undeveloped, I’m curious how the games systems and stuff are doing, because I’m kinda in the mood for some more Subnautica but I beat the original like four times and feel like I’ve seen/done everything

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

I'm sure this was said well earlier in the thread but Outer Wilds is really giving me some of the same exploration-terror as Subnautica does sometimes, and the same feeling of slowly uncovering a mystery. Obviously the mechanics of the two games are very distinct but I still cannot recommend Outer Wilds enough. Theres even an all-water planet which is REAL hosed up!

NOT ON STEAM NO BUY

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UltraRed posted:

NOT ON STEAM NO BUY

Your Loyalty Is Appreciated

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I played through Subnautica several times in early access, didn't make the final game any less great. I play Below Zero each time they make an update, I don't image that it will make the game worse either.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wrr posted:

If it ever gets released on a proper distribution service, I'll get it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Frog Act posted:

at the same time it can be a good way to really learn the mechanics and stuff for a proper playthrough

I don't really understand the reasoning behind this. Presumably you can learn the mechanics just as well, if not better, if you start playing at the full release. Plus then you don't run the risk of learning mechanics that get changed later in the EA development process. Every EA game seems to have some bad advice that floats around forever but hasn't been applicable since like v0.2 of the beta.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Edit: this is not the Switch thread. :v:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Zesty posted:

If it ever gets released on a proper distribution service, I'll get it.

Guess you place some sort of misplaced loyalty to the fat man over playing amazing games.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yes time to rehash this extremely tired and stupid argument yet again, good job

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Man, all I did was note there was an update and look what happened.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TK-42-1 posted:

Guess you place some sort of misplaced loyalty to the fat man over playing amazing games.

Nah, you’re mistaken, I love having several game launchers because a company is trying to undercut others with contract exclusives to prop up their Fortnite driven schlock.

Not to mention Mobius saying up until a few months prior to release there would be steam keys for backers and then announcing at launch “lol epic only”. Refunded at that point.

I can wait until a Steam release and then maybe more for a steam sale because gently caress treating customers like that.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 22, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

yes time to rehash this extremely tired and stupid argument yet again, good job

I just like needling people who care enough to post in a thread about a game and its sequel that is in EA only on egs.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

So I've never actually finished Subnautica and just started my third playthrough. Every other time I've just kind of...burned out I guess? Last time the game just started feeling like a fetch quest once I got to the point I had to move a bunch of stuff to the lost river area and got pissed off at constantly getting attacked by warpers.

That said, what are some tips on early game inventory management because holy poo poo I have so many floating lockers. At what point should I start building a base and not just living out of the lifepod? Also I could have sworn last time I played I could build multipurpose rooms right away but I finally got the ability to build them after exploring the floating island.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
You've needed to scan a multipurpose to be able to build one for a while now, at least since I started playing in february (so probably at least since the last patch last september?). So...yeah, you can either build a ton of floating lockers you either leave all over the place (or dump into a traschcan when you can build one), or you build an I/T/X corridor tinybase with lockers in it, or you...dump poo poo all over the place...or just keep your inventory very very sparse, for extra challenge.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Build a base asap, never a single floating locker. Fill up the base with 30 lockers, get a scanning room and make a point to have 10 of everything. The game can get tedious if you get trapped in a loop of 'oh I need one of this' and you make a special trip for it, get back... 'oh I need one of this'.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I built my base between shallows and kelp forest near a vent for thermal energy and never made a new one. I didn’t find it necessary to move my base anywhere, especially when I got the cyclops. I liked my central ish base.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
The best part of the game is making bases all over the place. Scanner room + moonpool with some kind of power system in every biome. Lockers everywhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even in the very early game I was using floating lockers to make survival stashes around the place with food and water.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Like others have been saying, don't wait to build stuff. The convenience is worth it.

Even if you do not want to make a "base", a lazy hallway tube with an airlock and solar panel to shove standing lockers into underneath your lifepod is a huge QoL boost. And you can dismantle base items back into parts anyways.

Also, always have a couple spare beacons on you to dump out at points of interest.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 8, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rush to moonpools ASAP imho

Seriously, when you can just stop worrying about your vehicle energy it is a huge game-changer. That should ideally be the very first thing you track down with your shiny new Seamoth.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 8, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Battery chargers are so key

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

TK-42-1 posted:

Battery chargers are so key

Just run dead batteries through the fabricator with some rubber! Fully charged power cell.

e: VVV really the long-term answer for cell charging is the Moon Pool. Even with the sea moth you can swim up to the cell port and swap them out manually while the vehicle is docked.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 10, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Burn through batteries so you can use 0 charge batteries to make power cells. You want to have enough power cells so you never need to really recharge them, it takes a boat load of time. Then just have enough so you make it to the alien power plant and make alien power cells and your set. Really just make it to the inactive lava zone and have the heat recharger for the cyclops.

For the seamoth, you should find the sunlight recharger module fairly quickly so that's not gonna eat into your cyclops fuel.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 8, 2019

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I've had this game that I got for free for clicking a button or something last year and I decided to finally play it a couple days ago and here's how it's going so far (sorry for the recording quality I goofed my bitrate)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SaT3s8RKzQ

I don't need tips or anything, just wanted to say it's a pretty swell game!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

turtlecrunch posted:

I've had this game that I got for free for clicking a button or something last year and I decided to finally play it a couple days ago and here's how it's going so far (sorry for the recording quality I goofed my bitrate)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SaT3s8RKzQ

I don't need tips or anything, just wanted to say it's a pretty swell game!
just gonna staaaaaaare at yooooouuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It's comforting to know that other people have the same reaction to Subnautica's fun underwater friends. See something scary = BACK TO BASE GO GO NOW OH GOD