Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i have a z370 board that refuses to cold boot, so it'll power on, beep, shut down a moment, restart and then it's fine

does this on two different power supplies :iiam:

whatever, it's in the server now so it shouldn't power off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

motherboard is toast

it's pretty old, everything is "value engineered" to death, poo poo happens

for the price of a ryzen 3xxx setup you can have a threadripper 2, after the price breaks. i'm just sayin'

p.s. linux can read hpfs

:confused:

The cheapest TR2 is like 660, the Ryzen 7 3700X is like 330?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
there has been some crazy sales, here's a 12c 2920X for $373

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Perplx posted:

there has been some crazy sales, here's a 12c 2920X for $373

What's the point at which AMD "gitted gud" (as the kids say these days)? I know the Zen+ and Zen2s are way better than Intel's stuff now but how far back does that go?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

What's the point at which AMD "gitted gud" (as the kids say these days)? I know the Zen+ and Zen2s are way better than Intel's stuff now but how far back does that go?

literally zen2, and better than Intel only in certain metrics. the intels still have better single thread performance and higher clocks (on the higher end) but it's great they're finally feeling some heat that's not of their own doing

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I kinda wished I got a 2700 instead of a 9900k last november, i would have saved a bunch of cash and been able to drop in an 12c or 16c in it now, but I have to say I've had basically zero problems with my system and amd is still buggy for a lot of people.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

flakeloaf posted:

i have a z370 board that refuses to cold boot, so it'll power on, beep, shut down a moment, restart and then it's fine

does this on two different power supplies :iiam:

whatever, it's in the server now so it shouldn't power off

I've seen this behavior on some HP desktops when you install a PCIx GPU. at first boot, I imagine the board is reconfiguring itself from on-board to add-in graphics, it halts, then starts up like normal. that first quick boot doesn't load the BIOS as far as I can tell. Doesn't directly help your problem but a similar behavior that is as intended.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

zen.

100% of the bulldozer series was dreck

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

bulldozer series was nice on linux at least, since it could actually make use of more than one core

amdmorecores.tiff

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

bulldozer series was nice on linux at least, since it could actually make use of more than one core

amdmorecores.tiff

except the cores were hot garbage

bulldozer was literally slower than k10, clock for clock. how do you go backwards, but not cancel the product?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except the cores were hot garbage

bulldozer was literally slower than k10, clock for clock. how do you go backwards, but not cancel the product?

the p4 lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oh hey, follow up on the dumb windows 10 1903 update issues I was having; turns out, in its vague way, windows was trying to tell me a driver was bad but couldnt figure it out specifically so i had the opportunity to learn how to pull apart a win 10 install which was kind of interesting

the result was removing the garbage asus software that came with my mobo. this is a tech gently caress on my part because I should have known better when the related usb 3 charging functionality broke the 1809 install. this is probably the most frustrating uninstall ive done, but i sort of saw it as a good challenge to see if I could remove it without wiping the drive

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

oh hey, follow up on the dumb windows 10 1903 update issues I was having; turns out, in its vague way, windows was trying to tell me a driver was bad but couldnt figure it out specifically so i had the opportunity to learn how to pull apart a win 10 install which was kind of interesting

if you have a Windows problem give it to the it guy

and by it guy I mean the sewer grate clown

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

at least the netburst was sold side by side with new versions of the prior p3 designs until they got the clock rate and cache up

amd shitcanned k10 and dumped bulldozer on the market and then seemed surprised when they lost 90% of their server chip sales

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you have a Windows problem give it to the it guy

and by it guy I mean the sewer grate clown

dying in the grips of the sewer grate clown is merciful compared to being your own windows cj

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at least the netburst was sold side by side with new versions of the prior p3 designs until they got the clock rate and cache up

amd shitcanned k10 and dumped bulldozer on the market and then seemed surprised when they lost 90% of their server chip sales

oh no, not those 45 server chips amd was hoping to sell

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dying in the grips of the sewer grate clown is merciful compared to being your own windows cj

its true. meanwhile both the macos and the linux systems are all running fine across multiple years and major releases

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Agile Vector posted:

meanwhile both the macos and the linux systems are all running fine across multiple years and major releases
true. i never hear any complaints out of any of my linux boxes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

oh no, not those 45 server chips amd was hoping to sell

before bulldozer obliterated their business amd had a pretty healthy server market share that was wildly profitable

it basically propped up the rest of their company

if that sounds weird now, that's how fuckin bad bulldozer was

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

lol

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
it owns that every linux command is like command + object + destination except for tar which is the other way around and also doesn't ask before replacing files

thanks linus

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

it owns that every linux command is like command + object + destination except for tar which is the other way around and also doesn't ask before replacing files

thanks linus

i like it better than mv or cp

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

thanks linus

tar has a complicated history and Linus isn’t involved

you see it has to b exactly one way or else a script written for system III in 1982 might behave oddly and then the gnu maintainers would commit seppuku

pram
Jun 10, 2001

thanks linus

tar is in that order though

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and cp and mv overwrites without asking too, it's just that most distros aliases those commands to cp -i and mv -i

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

tar is in that order though

tar jfc poop.tar.bz2 poop/

command command destination source

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Email Torvalds your thoughts. I think he'll agree that pesky tape archive command should get its act together for modern day, guided access ipad users.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Tankakern posted:

and cp and mv overwrites without asking too, it's just that most distros aliases those commands to cp -i and mv -i

look I got hosed by tar so I’m going to bitch about tar let me have this

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
otoh I definitely managed to reduce the size of that file

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

otoh I definitely managed to reduce the size of that file

:goonsay: tar is just a tape archive what you’re referring to is gzip or as I’ve taken to calling it gzip plus tar

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Wow I was grumpy earlier.

If you're going to grouse about Unix commands I recommend ln -s, a command that even the grayest of beards still need to look up the ordering for each use.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TimWinter posted:

Wow I was grumpy earlier.

If you're going to grouse about Unix commands I recommend ln -s, a command that even the grayest of beards still need to look up the ordering for each use.

closed: wontfix, works 4 me

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
i barely touch linux anymore so every time I do it again it's 4 hours of relearning basic stuff like how to mount a drive and how to find out what the size of a file is before I can get to the actual thing I want to do

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

tar jfc poop.tar.bz2 poop/

command command destination source

lol what. the second part are the flags not a 'command' just like any other, its just youve never thought about it because you copy and paste it in from google

'tar cvzf' <--- you notice that 'f' there. the thing directly after that is the archive file. tar actually only accepts one source. RTFM

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tar -c -v -z -f archive.tar.gz myfiles/

does that make more sense??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It should still be source first then destination

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it doesnt have a 'destination' at all. youre explicitly telling tar to save it to a file rather than dump it out to the tty

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

It should still be source first then destination

except one is a switch and the other is an argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the only thing that can make the unix command line look good and easy is mainframe life