Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the story has indicated that Muzan is the First Demon and all other demons were effectively created by him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Any continuation after this feels like it'd be kinda forced. There are WAYS to do this with what's in the story so far but I dunno if I'd wanna see this get dragged out.

The doctor that caused Muzan to turn into a demon is one thing you could go into- what loving medicine was this guy practicing that he could make an incomplete medicine that turns a man into a nearly godlike monster that can do magic and create other reality-bending demons?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Assumedly he was trying to make a proper elixir of immortality that didn't involve quite so much uh all of that

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Patware posted:

i love the characters in this manga and i really wish the power-ups didn't almost universally come out of nowhere and that the overall story wasn't crumbling apart at a breakneck pace

you can really feel the "wrap it up!" crunch mashing into everything

Fabricated posted:

Yeah it all feels bizarrely truncated. If editorial was behind this I bet they feel pretty loving stupid now that every backlog volume of Kimetsu no Yaiba has moved 500k in Japan.

It feels like there's 2-3 more arcs that should've happened between Muzan rolling up the lower moons and now because in particular Inosuke doesn't really get to show off much. Zenitsu murks 2 non-moons, protects a couple cars worth of people on the train, does more unshown missions during the recovery period from that, struggles against a not-upper moon and has a building dropped on him, does some more missions off screen, then utterly murks a new upper-moon. Kinda weird.

Inosuke helps take out Enbu, runs off with the head of the not-uppermoon after everyone manages to decapitate it, gets stabbed, does some missions off screen, then helps deliver the final blow to a severely weakened upper moon.

Quite a few characters need more background to them, and since the manga's rushing toward the end, they won't get it. We haven't even gotten Iguro's backstory.

Tightly paced plots are fine, but Yaiba's tight to the point where elements are missing. Genya and Sanemi need an arc or two that would flesh out their relationship, as do Zenitsu and Kaigetsu. All we really know about Kaigetsu is that he trained with the same master and thought Zenitsu was weak. How did Zenitsu even gain the confidence to fight, much less defeat, Kaigetsu? Zenitsu should've gotten an arc similar to the one between Tanjiro and Akaza.

Genya gets far less time in the spotlight than he deserves. He appears for a couple of scenes in the exam arc, helps fight off two of the Upper Moons in the swordsmiths' village, then helps to take down Upper Moon One. The fact that, oh I don't know, he eats demons and uses their power to kill them might be a bit interesting to explore in depth, but he never gets that. Ditto for his relationship with Sanemi. The only glimpse we get of their relationship was that Sanemi thinks Genya is weak for not wielding a sword and that he protected him from their mother.

The more I think about Yaiba, the more I realize how weak a lot of the writing is. I still like it, but I'm not going to miss it when it's gone.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's largely unremarkable writing with some really good character moments, some real visually neat fights, and a very good boy.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I like the artistic style, but I wish it wasn't carrying most of the manga's weight.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Tightly paced plots are fine, but Yaiba's tight to the point where elements are missing. Genya and Sanemi need an arc or two that would flesh out their relationship, as do Zenitsu and Kaigetsu. All we really know about Kaigetsu is that he trained with the same master and thought Zenitsu was weak. How did Zenitsu even gain the confidence to fight, much less defeat, Kaigetsu? Zenitsu should've gotten an arc similar to the one between Tanjiro and Akaza.

honestly, this isn't even tight. the things that are happening still take a standard shounen length of time to get around to happening, it's just that things are getting crammed down the pipe and everything's spilling out at once and a lot of stuff's getting buried

it's still above black clover to me, which is just moving at a breakneck sprint and barely giving anyone any breathing room. KnY has used its downtime pretty well

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zenitsu's adoptive dad/grandpa/teacher killed himself because of Kaigetsu.

I don't really need any other explanation for why Zenitsu would need the determination to fight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Patware posted:

honestly, this isn't even tight. the things that are happening still take a standard shounen length of time to get around to happening, it's just that things are getting crammed down the pipe and everything's spilling out at once and a lot of stuff's getting buried

it's still above black clover to me, which is just moving at a breakneck sprint and barely giving anyone any breathing room. KnY has used its downtime pretty well

Dont bring up black clover when talking about pacing.
This most recent arc took a goddamn year and a half, and all in the same location and presumably everything happening on the same day.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dont bring up black clover when talking about pacing.
This most recent arc took a goddamn year and a half, and all in the same location and presumably everything happening on the same day.

and still managed to make it feel like it was careening from event to event, it just had a gigantic stupid pile of events and characters to chew through

at least KnY's cast is relatively small even after producing the Pillars and giving a couple of them adjacent characters.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zerilan posted:

It's largely unremarkable writing with some really good character moments, some real visually neat fights, and a very good boy.

Pretty much. I'm conflicted since I'm glad it is moving forward vs BE which has been at the same thing for over a decade until the last few months.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kinda surprised that, aside from One Piece and Hunter x Hunter (which I think has been in its longest hiatus yet?), the oldest thing right now in WSJ is the Volleyboys from Haikyu!!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Wark Say posted:

I'm kinda surprised that, aside from One Piece and Hunter x Hunter (which I think has been in its longest hiatus yet?), the oldest thing right now in WSJ is the Volleyboys from Haikyu!!

Haikyuu!! owns and more people need to read about the good volleyboys.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wark Say posted:

I think if we make it to 2020 without a new HxH chapter it'll be basically a year on the dot?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Haikyuu!! owns and more people need to read about the good volleyboys.
It is! Also just started playing Celeste and your AV is big-time :kimchi:

I would have the same gripes about KnY, but I think that the anime is tackling the material which I felt was the series at its weakest with a lot of panache, which in turn makes me appreciate the manga all the more when, even with all its flaws, Gotouge decides to loving slam us with either heart-warming, heart-rending or sometimes downright horrifying moments.

Fabricated posted:

I think if we make it to 2020 without a new HxH chapter it'll be basically a year on the dot?
Really? drat, I thought it'd been longer.

(I miss H x H and I kinda wish Togashi would get an artist to work with or... I dunno, move to a monthly magazine; like I've read that Naoko Takeuchi helps him on occasion with the volume releases)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

last hxh chapter was released on novermber 26 last year apparently

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Manatee Cannon posted:

last hxh chapter was released on novermber 26 last year apparently

Never gonna get off that boat

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aren't they all going to get slaughtered by Dark Continent monsters once they land there anyway?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New official chapter is up.

Very cool, but also rip mist pillar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats with the early chapteres the last 2 weeks?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

whats with the early chapteres the last 2 weeks?
Holidays. Old folks day I think in particular

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Link.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-175/chapter/19217?action=read

Honestly the biggest surprise was that he never met Tanjiro.

Honestly I am mainly looking forward to Muzan's reaction that his greatest servant fell before any pillars died to him. (Even if one will pass away after.) As Muzan was asking how many Pillars he killed.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 20, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly I am mainly looking forward to Muzan's reaction that his greatest servant fell before any pillars died to him. (Even if one will pass away after.) As Muzan was asking how many Pillars he killed.
Shinobu: Am I a joke to you?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

Shinobu: Am I a joke to you?

That was Doma not Kokushibo.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Was Kanao's backstory in the manga? Just watched the latest ep and didnt remember any of that about her, or the appearance of Shinobu's older sister.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the stuff on the bridge where shinobu throws money at that guy and they run off is

I think they fleshed out the stuff before that scene a little but I'm not positive

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It was in a side chapter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Which does not make too much sense, given that Shinobu is only two years older then Kanao.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I don't know if you're in here, Beasteh, but

You can't fukken do this to me :cry:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I am always here

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Today's episode and discussion of it reminded me of how weirdly loving hyped I'm gonna be when the anime makes it to

'cause it's just the perfect loving Muzan page and along with the verbal takedown of him that follows was a great loving leadin to this last arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah that chat is really good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pathetic Demon Lord gets UTTERLY DESTORYED By Chad Slayer Corps Leader

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
So hypothetically, since the train arc is a movie, would it be season 2 covering the red light district and the swordsmith village, then season 3 to cover everything else (assuming we're in the final arc)?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
New chapter is out. I’m guessing the wind pillar will somehow trade his life for his brother’s. Also Tokito is so dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Genya's got that demon regeneration, I have high hopes that he'll recover due to his ingestion of the 1st Moon, unless the 1st Moon dying suddenly results in Genya losing all that demon energy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Didn't he say at one point that he can't regenerate internal organs? Though since he ate such a powerful demon that might change.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New chapter up on the Viz website: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba

We knew the Mist pillar was dead as hell but I guess this confirms Genya is dead too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

New chapter up on the Viz website: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba

We knew the Mist pillar was dead as hell but I guess this confirms Genya is dead too.

I think Genya will get back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fabricated posted:

To be fair it’s just that #1 thinks Genya is dead.