Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Huntman posted:

NXT Japan looms

i kinda hope whatever voices convinced Dana White not run in japan get Vince’s ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't it nigh impossible for a non-Japanese corporation to actually do business in Japan without a middleman? Like, the Disney resort in Tokyo isn't even actually owned by Disney, but a Japanese resort company licensing the brand?

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

The comparison that comes to mind is KENTA in some ways bar the injury stuff: he was a massive star for NOAH and stands out in New Japan now; but in his WWE run they systematically took everything he had away from him: his finisher, a lot of his big moves and signature spots etc and turned him into someone else that was a significantly worse pro wrestler: and I can very much see that happening to Sareee - which is a massive shame since KENTA had really peaked in NOAH already and moving on for him made sense while for Sareee she's at her peak now and there is a lot more that she could still do which is frustrating. Good for her if she's getting a good pay day or whatever but as a fan its annoying.

their foreign signings are just an instant death for a lot of the reasons you said. them toning down their style is awful then you pair that with the handling of the little things with Io and Kairi. Both are known for having an awesome aerial move and because WWE has to overexpose everyone to death, the moves are at least protected, but just don't seem to have that shine to them anymore. it's like they've just become another finisher without any flair. and i guess now Shirai has a submission finisher to make the moonsault less overexposed and Kairi is just never on TV so that's a good way to make the elbow a treat when she isn't jobbing.

then they toss these guys and gals into a live setting to cut promos in broken English or with a heavy accent because god forbid you let them cut a promo in their native language or have a manager. they can survive in NXT, but i don't think there's been a main roster talent who can't speak English/have a heavy accent that's been super successful. Asuka's booking is too hot and cold to say she's really successful and Nakamura did good at the start, but once Mania hit, it was kind of the start of the downfall even with two title reigns since then. but then again I guess they can give them a manager like with Andrade and still gently caress it up, so there's that

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, their over-reliance on scripted promos could at least be useful with foreign talent. Just have them do it in their native tongue and subtitle it. I mean, WWE want to be a 'real TV show' so do what any show with foreign dialogue would ACTUALLY do.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it nigh impossible for a non-Japanese corporation to actually do business in Japan without a middleman? Like, the Disney resort in Tokyo isn't even actually owned by Disney, but a Japanese resort company licensing the brand?

vince has an in, just have trump designate part of a military base for the performance center bada bing bada boom you got perry's fleet 2: electric boogaloo

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, their over-reliance on scripted promos could at least be useful with foreign talent. Just have them do it in their native tongue and subtitle it. I mean, WWE want to be a 'real TV show' so do what any show with foreign dialogue would ACTUALLY do.

Except Vince likely thinks the viewers are complete and utter idiots and won't read text on the screen.

Which is funny considering WWE recently (I think last year or the year before) went on a massive bender of subtitling pretty much all of their promos and entrances.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

yes yes yes. agreed. Asuka cutting a fiery promo in Japanese was honestly the coolest thing about her and they did it for a bit then had Bliss and Charlotte bury her for not being fluent in English, which would be okay if it led to Asuka defeating them decisively after the fact, but uhhhh lol

or like with any legit sporting event or even NJPW, why not hire someone who you can use on commentary to translate the promos live if they don't want to subtitle it??? if they can pay millions of dollars to not use talent after talent for months, they can at least throw some cash to a translator for 20 minutes a week. like Darkstar said, they did those stupid fake selfie promos with subtitles, they're obviously willing to give it a shot, but knowing them, even if they did subtitle the foreign talent, they'd do it for a few months then go back to making fun of them because they're not fluent.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Huntman posted:

yes yes yes. agreed. Asuka cutting a fiery promo in Japanese was honestly the coolest thing about her and they did it for a bit then had Bliss and Charlotte bury her for not being fluent in English, which would be okay if it led to Asuka defeating them decisively after the fact, but uhhhh lol

or like with any legit sporting event or even NJPW, why not hire someone who you can use on commentary to translate the promos live if they don't want to subtitle it??? if they can pay millions of dollars to not use talent after talent for months, they can at least throw some cash to a translator for 20 minutes a week. like Darkstar said, they did those stupid fake selfie promos with subtitles, they're obviously willing to give it a shot, but knowing them, even if they did subtitle the foreign talent, they'd do it for a few months then go back to making fun of them because they're not fluent.

The supposed real reason why WWE doesn't push foreign talents super hard is because they can't do media interviews with places like Good Morning America, or local news stations. GMA and other big morning shows probably have the resources to have a translator on hand. As for local stations, just send a translator along. Whenever they had Asuka do press interviews while in NXT, they had a translator by her side. :shrug:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
if we go on from that logically though if that was the only problem then pushing Io hard wouldn't be an issue - she's near-fluent in English since her mother is an English teacher and she did some lessons before signing with WWE. There's an accent there but if knowledge of English is the issue by itself that shouldn't be an issue.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how many japanese wrestlers will be forced into nxt japan

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

IceAgeComing posted:

if we go on from that logically though if that was the only problem then pushing Io hard wouldn't be an issue - she's near-fluent in English since her mother is an English teacher and she did some lessons before signing with WWE. There's an accent there but if knowledge of English is the issue by itself that shouldn't be an issue.

Oh the reason I stated above is most likely the most publicly "acceptable" (its not) explanation. But the real reason is probably because Vince McMahon has a grudge against Asian talents in particular, and Kevin Dunn is well known to hate accents.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

we just need to start killing mcmahons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Sticky Nate posted:

we just need to start killing mcmahons

Man Sareee must be really good for there to be 2 terrorist threats over her signing in this thread

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she was an industry plant from the jump

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

Oh the reason I stated above is most likely the most publicly "acceptable" (its not) explanation. But the real reason is probably because Vince McMahon has a grudge against Asian talents in particular, and Kevin Dunn is well known to hate accents.

We can just say it's cause Vince is racist

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Come now, look at all the black top champions he's had like Dwayne Johnson and

ninja edit: None of you fuckers try and claim Kofi or Booker have been presented as THE top guy or would have gotten a sniff of the belt had the brand split not existed.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Rarity posted:

You would be surprised how many people try and spin the whole "Vince is a racist" thing as hyperbole because he pushed Kofi this year, and he's put the titles on other minorities.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Isn't the change in style once people enter the WWE supposed to be beneficial for the wrestler since they would be wrestling way more often on house shows, RAWs/SDLs and PPVs in that the WWE style would be less wear and tear on the body?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Isn't the change in style once people enter the WWE supposed to be beneficial for the wrestler since they would be wrestling way more often on house shows, RAWs/SDLs and PPVs in that the WWE style would be less wear and tear on the body?

Other than forcing high flyers to tone down the flips; which IS arguably better in the long term but also greatly hurts their ability to get over because they're often not even allowed to break the limitation on TV; it doesn't actually do much to help because the issue is more to do with the road schedule. Driving 7 hours, getting 4 hours of sleep and then doing a 15 minute singles match 5 times a week means inevitably someone gets sloppy and fucks up a simple hip-toss or something. Or they take pain meds or PEDs that make them more susceptible to getting or exacerbating certain injuries.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The toned down stuff makes you less likely to suffer a flash injury but you’re going to get way less rest and rehab time so the nagging stuff will never heal. The exhaustion on your body from never recuperating will put you at greater risk of soft tissue injury.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TV Zombie posted:

having folks do endless lifting and hip toss drills in the pc sure is beneficial to them!

Super No Vacancy posted:

she was an industry plant from the jump

thank you for acknowledging my two month long insane rant that i've spoken into power.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

free sticky nate

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Sareee shot down that Tokyo Sports report, saying she needed more time to think before committing to anything.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Both days of tjpw KFC show are real good.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I feel so bad about how the International Princess belt match played out, though.

I hope Natsumi recovers quickly and takes all the time she needs off. I can't help but feel for Yuna, too; it's a heartbreaking way to win the first singles title of your career.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Are all the former JAN members injured now?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Tora isn’t, Onozaki isn’t, Yoneyama isn’t, Ruaka isn’t - I think it’s just Jungle Kyona

There’s a stacked SEAdLINNNG show tomorrow with Takumi Iroha/Arisa Nakajima as the main event; Asuka and Mikoto challenging Yoshiko and Hiroyo Matsumoto; and from the undercard a High Speed that should be great: the very creatively named “Team MeiMei” of Mei Suruga and Mei Hoshizuki against Mikoto Shindo and Leon - Leon has been doing the high speed stuff for years so is the crusty vet but the other three are still new and thrive in a match like this. I’d argue Show of the Year contender - at least Joshi show of the year

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 17, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Card for Hikaru Shida's show

https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1174161960947965953

Shida and Syuri Kondo vs Emi Sakura and Nanae Takahashi (Ice Ribbon)
Shida and Aja Kong vs Mayumi Ozaki and Saori Anou (Oz Academy)
Shida and Yumi Ohka vs Ryo Mizunami and HIRO'e (Pro Wrestling WAVE)
Shida vs Mei Suruga (Gatoh Move)
Buffalo, Ninja Ranmaru and Madoka vs Ryuichi Sekine, Gabaji-chan and Hiroyo Matsumoto
Kaho Kobayashi vs Misa Matsui

Shida's matches are a history of her experiences in those companies

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That's a whole lotta Shida.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Shame we aren't getting the traditional million person gauntlet match - perhaps on the Osaka show the day before? She's finishing up with everyone now; I think that today was her last SEAdLINNNG show and she finished up with OZ Academy at the Yokohama Bunka show.

SEAdLINNNG had a show today that probably will make tape so I'll spoiler tag any spoilers: card looks stacked with a Takumi Iroha-Arisa Nakajima main event for the Beyond the Sea Singles Title; Asuka and Makoto challenging Yoshiko and Hiroyo Matsumoto for the Beyond the Sea Tag Titles; MAX VOLTAGE working a trios match and what sounds like an incredibly great High Speed match with Mikoto Shindo and Leon teaming against Team MeiMei of Mei Suruga and Mei Hoshizuki (you can probably guess how they decided the name). Stories out of the show: Arisa Nakajima won the title and was challenged by Nanae Takahashi which I find suspicious knowing how Nanae books herself and Yoshiko's team retained the tag titles and were challenged by MeiMei which should be a very very fun match with a certain result. I'd not sleep on this show when it airs (its a Korakuen Hall show so I'm 99% sure it will): SEAdLINNNG are my personal promotion of the year since they put on this great supercards with people from everywhere and have consistently the best top-to-bottom cards in all of wrestling; old school style main events with faster paced stuff underneath.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thunder Rosa's staying independent/happy https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusive-thunder-rosa-her-new-character-wow-being-mexican-american-wrestler-and-mma-training

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/GlowNetflix/status/1175069658266779648

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I liked season 1 a lot but three was enough. iirc that's a stupid rear end opinion, but I am not afraid.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
When is there going to be a male version of GLOW

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Midnightghoul posted:

Stephen Amell is making a wrestling drama called Heels.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Midnightghoul posted:

gorgeous lads of wrestling is dragon gate from what i understand

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
https://twitter.com/youji4876/status/1175997276533055494

Today Ice Ribbon's Tequila Saya announced that she'll be retiring after their October 12 Korakuen show. No injuries or anything; when she debuted, she apparently decided she'd wrestle for three years, and those three years are up.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Its very sad since she was very good and there was a lot more that she could have done but I'd rather that she leave when she wants to without major injuries than feel the need to carry on and really hurt herself if that's her wish.

The big question - well for me at least - is what does this mean for Ps Party? Basically Ps Party, for those who don't know, is a run of Ice Ribbon dojo shows that Saya was basically in charge of which I think were some of the best things in wrestling since they launched: they had very fun matches with rookies which is very much my thing and they only went like 48 minutes total so they were very much in and out: almost like the Joshi equivalent of a very good western hour weekly TV show: nice and short so its easy to find time to watch and a lot of very fun matches there. I hope someone else takes over and they carry on since they're very fun but considering that its her personal project and its a little dojo show if no one else takes it on I imagine that it probably ends which would be a massive shame since its a showcase for the Ice Ribbon rookies that gets them experience in more prominent card positions.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

JUST TAP OUT are doing their first ever all women's show JUST TAP OUT Girls. The main event has TAKA Michinoku wrestling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Did they find a replacement for Utami?