Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that facing the firewall as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I don't know too much about trail riding, but I do know that it's important to stay on the trail, especially if the edge of the trail is a cliff.
Skip to about 5 minutes in.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I don't know too much about trail riding, but I do know that it's important to stay on the trail, especially if the edge of the trail is a cliff.

Holy poo poo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Guess the country of origin

This is an Audi, right?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Elviscat posted:

You on thumper talk as well? I didn't even have to click the link to know what video you posted.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nah, I probably should be though because I know a few of the guys in the area IRL, and they're apparently a pretty awesome community out here. It's a random suggestion from YouTube based on all the races I watch trying to gain a competitive advantage (i.e. come in ahead of everyone who DNFd)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is an Audi, right?

Yeah, RS4 I think.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Elviscat posted:

That's a long enough fall to contemplate death a few times.

There's also a follow up video. Doesn't seem like the most efficient way to get the bike back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJCZhkk6Zg

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Deeters posted:

That's a long enough fall to contemplate death a few times.

There's also a follow up video. Doesn't seem like the most efficient way to get the bike back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJCZhkk6Zg

It only weighs a few hundred pounds, about the same as a human.They could have easily got a multi pulley system and bought that bike back up vs sending it over the waterfall. That would be typical recovery gear for most guys riding that kind of terrain where bike recovery is common. Reach out to a local climbing group and they might be able to help with setting an anchor.

Insane fall though. The guy got super lucky going down back first. He could have died a thousand different ways on that one fall.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Guess the country of origin

I have one of these

audi 4.2 v8 from s4/rs4

edit: the one in your pic is rs4 specific because of the quad cam adjusters and metal guides

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Verman posted:

It only weighs a few hundred pounds, about the same as a human.They could have easily got a multi pulley system and bought that bike back up vs sending it over the waterfall. That would be typical recovery gear for most guys riding that kind of terrain where bike recovery is common. Reach out to a local climbing group and they might be able to help with setting an anchor.

Insane fall though. The guy got super lucky going down back first. He could have died a thousand different ways on that one fall.

Yeah, that seemed like a kinda dumb way to get the bike out of there as it required the rescuer to get increasingly closer to the sharp and pointy rocks with fast water running over them. I agree with your method first, but if they did need to send it down the waterfall for whatever reason, I’d stop by a Walmart and snag one of those $30 rubber inflatable truck inner tubes, and some ratchet straps, then ask to borrow a cordless tire inflator (that Jeep definitely had something for inflating tires on it being that it was up there). Slide the flat tube under the brap, strap it down, inflate and give it a swift kick down. Probably would change it from “getting it out” to “getting it back” too. :haw:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I have one of these

audi 4.2 v8 from s4/rs4

edit: the one in your pic is rs4 specific because of the quad cam adjusters and metal guides

An Audi motor in its natural state

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Pupper is not excited about his grooming appointment.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cute

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
I am really hating that fender on otherwise pretty bike. It looks like they took one of these and slapped the plate and reflectors on it:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah that is definitely one of the ugliest tail/fender units i've seen

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol of course it's a weestrom

All I can say is that when you're sitting on the bike you're not looking at the fender

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's so beefy I don't think that's the wee's stock fender in the states either?

Every company assumes you're going to yank the fender and install a tail-tidy within 5 minutes of walking off the lot anyways.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just spotted this today in NYC

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Voltage posted:

I mean of all the horrors on show there, i can't take my eyes off the mountain bike front brake.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That seems super cool and good for both NYC traffic and streets

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That soot caked on by the exhaust. That can’t be a healthy engine right?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
probably inevitable from it's proximity to the bag, but also running a little rich I guess.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I’m just glad it has a front brake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ought ten posted:

That soot caked on by the exhaust. That can’t be a healthy engine right?

Harleys are old fashioned and this is pretty normal.

That bike is 9/10, it's missing the afterburner muffler custom baggers always seem to have.

Also those front tires cost around $2500 locally.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Voltage posted:

The chipped paint at the bottom of the fender shows just how well-suited it is for NYC roads.

Shoulda bought a DR and put those stereo-saddlebags on it instead.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Are we supposed to be making fun of this or agreeing that it looks kind of cool? Because I don't know how practical it'd be but I've seen tons of dumber looking bikes on the road.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Voltage posted:

#ktmlyfe

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Show bikes with similar setup usually have an air shock that raises it up few inches. Otherwise they literally sit on the asphalt with the shock fully deflated. This setup seem to be permanently fixed in that position, which is loving stupid

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Are you ready for the dumbest crash(es) in motorcycle history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xZY9dZy6w&t=392s

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The two-wheeled equivalent of those goats that faint when they're startled

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grom peeps are the worst. What a wimp screaming for an ambulance. I love how both he and the other rider grabbed a ton of brake and dumped... 50 feet from each other.

Also that KTM Harley looks cool but you know he blasts his music everywhere like a miscreant.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The M3 isn't even an M3 anymore, so the Model 3 might as well be.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Coydog posted:

Grom peeps are the worst. What a wimp screaming for an ambulance. I love how both he and the other rider grabbed a ton of brake and dumped... 50 feet from each other.

One or the other mistimed it, they shoulda dumped their bikes at the same time like synchronized swimming...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you ready for the dumbest crash(es) in motorcycle history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xZY9dZy6w&t=392s

Love his learning takeaway from this moment:

quote:

At the time of this crash I had only been riding for about 2 weeks. I know that if you slam on your front brakes the outcome is what happened to me lol. Even tho I knew it would happen in that moment I panicked and did it anyways. I ended up braking my collar bone and my wrist. I know know that once im able to ride again I will be spending my time forcing my muscle memory to use my foot brake more often to avoid this from happening again. I hope you enjoy my pain and suffering lol.

Right, so next time you can just BMX skid into the obstacle instead of endoing into it.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 20, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hey he spelled brake correctly, oh wait "I ended up braking my collar bone and my wrist." Kind of surprised he broke his collar bone with that fall?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Hey he spelled brake correctly, oh wait "I ended up braking my collar bone and my wrist." Kind of surprised he broke his collar bone with that fall?

It's doable if you get really unlucky, people can do it just tripping over.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just don't loving understand the physics of this, how do you drop thre loving bike by applying front brake? Is he also putting massive input into the bars? Is he just stabbing the brake lever so hard that the front wheel instantly locks? Also how do people crash so loving badly, how do you break your wrist AND your collarbone from such a minor spill? Did he get no milk as a child? Did someone steal his bones and replace them with rotten twigs? Or has my enormous frame and massive, healthy bones just insulated me from a world of frail humans where merely falling over can require a hospital trip?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
From a friend of mine: it's like the fainting goats squids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

I just don't loving understand the physics of this, how do you drop thre loving bike by applying front brake? Is he also putting massive input into the bars? Is he just stabbing the brake lever so hard that the front wheel instantly locks? Also how do people crash so loving badly, how do you break your wrist AND your collarbone from such a minor spill? Did he get no milk as a child? Did someone steal his bones and replace them with rotten twigs? Or has my enormous frame and massive, healthy bones just insulated me from a world of frail humans where merely falling over can require a hospital trip?

Have you never locked the front up before? Happens to everyone, that's why civilised countries have proper training, and yes, a massive handful will lock the front wheel up and if you're really unlucky it'll wash straight out - particularly as if you're inexperienced enough to be doing that you're also inexperienced enough to try and steer at the same time. It's a really loving violent crash if you do it badly enough.

As to breaking wrist and collarbone - lock your arm out straight in front of you, then let yourself fall forwards. there's a better than zero chance you'll break either.

In both cases I'm willing to bet he also didn't ride pushbikes a lot as a kid, because that's where you learn not to lock up your front brakes and also how to not die when you fall off while your bones are a lot more flexible.