Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

https://i.imgur.com/fYLKJXW.gifv

like, yeah lol people and their phones, but surely this area should be cordoned off with signage. Then maybe the lady could've run into a harmless orange rope or cone or something

That looks staged but it's still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Agutter posted:

The"doors" were the exact same color and texture as the surrounding sidewalk because they actually are sidewalk. Absolutely should have been cordoned off

Yeah, not everyone has great eyesight, and I'd think if you have problems with depth perception, it would be easy to happen to check your phone or otherwise get distracted at the wrong time and not notice something like that.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm just amazed she fell over something above knee-height while moving so slowly.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

https://i.imgur.com/fYLKJXW.gifv

like, yeah lol people and their phones, but surely this area should be cordoned off with signage. Then maybe the lady could've run into a harmless orange rope or cone or something

That should have red danger tape and/or a little snow fence going. You can't just leave open poo poo around like that without OSHA climbing up your rear end.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That should have red danger tape and/or a little snow fence going. You can't just leave open poo poo around like that without OSHA climbing up your rear end.

REally? My town has these and I’ve never seen tape or stuff. Maybe a cone or two.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

REally? My town has these and I’ve never seen tape or stuff. Maybe a cone or two.

For manholes and stuff in the street you can just slap down some cones to redirect traffic around. A spotter and some cones for this kind of work on a sidewalk would probably do it but they've got no anything and no spotter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nuclearmonkee posted:

For manholes and stuff in the street you can just slap down some cones to redirect traffic around. A spotter and some cones for this kind of work on a sidewalk would probably do it but they've got no anything and no spotter.

Because it's probably just some restaurant or store. Not city maintenance.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Right, usually I see another dude up top while the other is unloading under. But $ I guess

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Because it's probably just some restaurant or store. Not city maintenance.

The guy with the hardhat in there should know better at the very least, regardless of who he works for.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Should have used concertina wire, it's the only way to be sure.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

No, I think that was an electric explosion. You can tell by how quickly they grounded themselves.

:golfclap:

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa

Catastrophe posted:

Well, you go to your kitchen like any other day and just try to like heat up some soup. You're probably not thinking about watching for karate chops from your fridge immediately after having to turn and run for your life from a sudden exploding stove attack.

I read this in the voice of Wayne from Letterkenny and just wanted to say I appreciates that about you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ColonelDimak posted:

I read this in the voice of Wayne from Letterkenny and just wanted to say I appreciates that about you.

Really ColonelDimak, that's what you appreciate about him?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Slingin' pots and broilin' meats is a hard life but sure as God's got sandals it beats fightin' household appliances

stevewm
May 10, 2005
She missed the big gaping hole in the ground and the large metal door halfway up her leg.. Do people really think a bit of red/yellow/orange plastic tape and/or cones are going to make a difference when her face was firmly plastered to her phone?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The guy with the hardhat in there should know better at the very least, regardless of who he works for.

There probably isn't a guy with a hardhat in there, it's just a staircase. That store was just getting a delivery or something, they weren't doing any work.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

stevewm posted:

She missed the big gaping hole in the ground and the large metal door halfway up her leg.. Do people really think a bit of red/yellow/orange plastic tape and/or cones are going to make a difference when her face was firmly plastered to her phone?

What's weird is that she isn't even looking at her phone the whole time. Just the last second. It's like she lacks object permanence.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nocheez posted:

Sounds like a great way to win a hefty lawsuit.

The grand prize is stepping on an access panel that's become electrified

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sidewalk-shocks-kill-walker-dogs/

quote:

After the electrocution in New York, Con Ed tested about 260,000 underground structures, manholes, metal plates and service boxes and found less than 1 percent of them had stray voltage, company spokesman Joe Petta said.

Less than 2600? I like those odds!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I've never once seen one of them with any safety barricades when open. You're just expected to be paying attention when walking.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

chitoryu12 posted:

I've never once seen one of them with any safety barricades when open. You're just expected to be paying attention when walking.

You can't tell me how to walk in 'Murica, land of the free, it's my god given right to fall into a hole and sue your rear end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Well this was informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv4uVWccEys

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

*checks wallet*

well drat

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

stevewm posted:

Do you really think if she ran into a caution tape barrier she’d walk through it into the hole?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This just happened close to me. Drilling accident. My boss knows the owner of the company personally, and I've met him a few times too.
I'm not sure what happened, but from the little bit in the article, the impression that I get is that there were power lines preventing the tower from being raised at the bore location, so they put the tower up, moved the drill forward, did their work. Then they were putting the tower down while the truck was being backed up, and the tower went down faster than the truck was being moved and hit the power lines.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/09/20/woman-26-killed-in-industrial-accident-in-vaughan.html

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Hixson posted:

Do you really think if she ran into a caution tape barrier she’d walk through it into the hole?

People don't give a gently caress about caution tape, or pylons or any other type of barrier typically.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hixson posted:

Absolutely.

Probably wouldn't even feel it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

This just happened close to me. Drilling accident. My boss knows the owner of the company personally, and I've met him a few times too.
I'm not sure what happened, but from the little bit in the article, the impression that I get is that there were power lines preventing the tower from being raised at the bore location, so they put the tower up, moved the drill forward, did their work. Then they were putting the tower down while the truck was being backed up, and the tower went down faster than the truck was being moved and hit the power lines.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/09/20/woman-26-killed-in-industrial-accident-in-vaughan.html

This is why OSHA requires cranes to have a signalperson guiding the operator within a certain distance of power lines.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

This is what I've always seen too, though my hometown DC doesn't have this convention at all. There are probably tens of thousands of these in NYC; sometimes the doors open up to create a barrier, but not always, and otherwise everybody just has to try not to kill themselves too willingly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

glynnenstein posted:

This is what I've always seen too, though my hometown DC doesn't have this convention at all. There are probably tens of thousands of these in NYC; sometimes the doors open up to create a barrier, but not always, and otherwise everybody just has to try not to kill themselves too willingly.

when it rains, doesn't water just pour into the basements of places?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

glynnenstein posted:

I watch this guy Louis Rossman on YouTube and he has a store like this and keeps thousands of dollars worth of his equipment in a basement like this. I always assumed it was a freight entrance or fire exit kinda thing but in a recent video he showed it off, and yeah its just the loving staircase to his building's basement outside with lovely metal doors. Zero entry to the rest of the unit but you have to go outside to get to your storage.

And I'm sure some people just live in basements and that's like their front door. Seems to strange, but now that Ive been looking I caught a few in some old Toronto buildings too

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LifeSunDeath posted:

when it rains, doesn't water just pour into the basements of places?

Ya the guy I was watching has 2 giant dehumidifiers down there running 24/7

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm in Galveston, and the water got over the sidewalks last few days during a tropical storm....thankfully basements are impossible here, but it would be comical if we did.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

On this note, for a couple weeks I'd been having a real hard time with a coworker who has no concept of proper following distance while driving a truck at freeway speeds. I actually had to start describing scenarios in detail before he began to get it, and I think the one that finally clicked was the possibility of prison time if he squashed that minivan full of kids 20 feet in front of us. I also pointed out that he should pay no heed to any car tailgating us, because if they want to die, more power to them. All we'd feel is a bump.

He's now doing a lot better than he was, but needless to say, I do the driving as much as I can.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VectorSigma posted:

On this note, for a couple weeks I'd been having a real hard time with a coworker who has no concept of proper following distance while driving a truck at freeway speeds. I actually had to start describing scenarios in detail before he began to get it, and I think the one that finally clicked was the possibility of prison time if he squashed that minivan full of kids 20 feet in front of us. I also pointed out that he should pay no heed to any car tailgating us, because if they want to die, more power to them. All we'd feel is a bump.

He's now doing a lot better than he was, but needless to say, I do the driving as much as I can.

I’ve forced drivers to stop tailgating. I once had a friend driving us downtown and she was so close that she’d never avoid a collision. She got snippy when I asked her to slow down and I told her “You may be fine with killing yourself, but I’m not. When I’m in this car you will not endanger me.”

I’m already a paranoid driver. Don’t do dangerous poo poo and then get annoyed when I don’t want to do.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

stevewm posted:

Shame on her brain for being inattentionally blind to an unmarked hazard that's the same color as the ground and is blocking the bigass hole in the sidewalk that opened front of her.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ATP_Power posted:

Shame on her brain for being inattentionally blind to an unmarked hazard that's the same color as the ground and is blocking the bigass hole in the sidewalk that opened front of her.

Do you often have trouble seeing completely obvious stuff right in front of you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I’ve forced drivers to stop tailgating. I once had a friend driving us downtown and she was so close that she’d never avoid a collision. She got snippy when I asked her to slow down and I told her “You may be fine with killing yourself, but I’m not. When I’m in this car you will not endanger me.”

I’m already a paranoid driver. Don’t do dangerous poo poo and then get annoyed when I don’t want to do.

If you follow at the "proper" distance people will just swerve into the large gaps you leave unless you are in one of the very few places that aren't basically perma congested now