Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

I've got an Apple Watch. Can you beep AirPods from it? I use it to beep my phone all the time but other devices would be useful too.

Boris Galerkin - good shout on the mail rule. Was hoping there was a switch I could toggle but that'll work.

EDIT: just discovered that this feature isn't as useful as I first thought anyway because it can't beep the AirPods when they're in the case.

Oh! poo poo my mistake I thought you were beeping the phone.

I had no idea you could beep the AirPods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I actually laughed that someone posted it thinking it was something with even the remotest of truth.

The new phones literally just came out and any speculation for next year is lol at best.
Seems to have a mixed record, like nailed Pencil 2, but seeing other stuff like mostly correct design details but seems like guesses and speculation of specs/features. Pretty much like anyone else trying to source leaks from the Chinese supply chain, but knocks out photoshops and renders that rumor sites eat up.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So has anyone else got an error when trying to share your contact details in iMessage. It tells me that my iCloud and iMessage details are different.

But they’re not?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Did your reminders come back yet? I’ve not had reminders sync between my devices for a week now on 13.1 and now the app just crashes on certain lists on the one device that was working. I really should’ve screen capped all my reminders!

They did eventually all come back, haven’t checked my laptop to see what’s going on there. What a borked experience.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Zwille posted:

You’ll like this: you can swipe left on the list in the app update section of the AppStore. It’s really neat and great for those „forgot I had them“ apps.

Yessssssssssssssssssssss

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Sri.Theo posted:

So has anyone else got an error when trying to share your contact details in iMessage. It tells me that my iCloud and iMessage details are different.

But they’re not?

That happened to me and I saw that iMessage was stuck on activation. I just turned it off and back on and that resolved it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

~Coxy posted:

SE always had Live Photos although it's certainly possible that she's never had it turned on and not noticed, it's pretty un-intuitive.
I'd just like to add that the SE had one weird limitation with Live Photos, in that they couldn't play animation as a lockscreen wallpaper. That was a 3D Touch-exclusive function for whatever reason.

But yeah as you and others have said, Live photos in general were on the SE since day 1!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Upgrading from an X to 11Pro and despite knowing about Apple's phone migration tech, it's still so drat impressive. Old phone immediately prompts to migrate when you switch on the new one. Whole process takes two steps to initiate, with the new phone then asking for the usual iCloud passwords and Face ID setup.

It just works.

And yet some people will still find a way to cock it up.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
"Out for delivery." Three beautiful words.

I'm upgrading from an 8 to an 11 Pro. Weirdly, one of the things I'm most excited about from an edge use case is that the OLED display can be made night vision friendly for when I'm doing amateur astronomy to a dramatically greater degree than an LCD display can. With the red screen filter setting and accessibility zoom dimming hack, it'll be loving perfect.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

:whatup: east coasters I just got a box

Has anybody tried Visible, the Verizon MVNO? I'm finding some mixed language online between outdated reviews and curious wording on their site about throttled and de-prioritized unlimited data, but otherwise, $40 a month for unlimited everything sounds solid and I've seen no major complaints.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 20, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m assuming the apple store website just hasn’t refreshed because it’s telling me every color of every size is unavailable in the nearest 12 stores.

Was the pro in that high demand? I didn’t preorder because I wanna see the colors in person :saddowns:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Giant bookmarks/favorites wtf

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Rolo posted:

I’m assuming the apple store website just hasn’t refreshed because it’s telling me every color of every size is unavailable in the nearest 12 stores.

Was the pro in that high demand? I didn’t preorder because I wanna see the colors in person :saddowns:

Yeah, iPhones are always like this. At least for me, in a state with five total Apple stores.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

enojy posted:

:whatup: east coasters I just got a box

Has anybody tried Visible, the Verizon MVNO? I'm finding some mixed language online between outdated reviews and curious wording on their site about throttled and de-prioritized unlimited data, but otherwise, $40 a month for unlimited everything sounds solid and I've seen no major complaints.

It's hard because that's a great price for being on the VZW network. But I'm also on the 100/mo for 2 lines T-Mobile ONE plan and that's a good deal too.

But T-Mobile has been sucking, especially out at my wife's very rural work, so I've been trying to get her to test Visible. She doesn't like the idea of MVNOs.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The nice thing about visible or Xfinity/Spectrum is there aren't contracts, so if you don't have device payments to worry about you can try them out for a month and if you don't like them you can just leave.

I've been on Xfinity Mobile since December and feel stupid for not jumping ship from ATT sooner.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Dave posted:

The nice thing about visible or Xfinity/Spectrum is there aren't contracts, so if you don't have device payments to worry about you can try them out for a month and if you don't like them you can just leave.

I've been on Xfinity Mobile since December and feel stupid for not jumping ship from ATT sooner.

Good point! That honestly didn't even occur to me. Probably because the thought of canceling my Verizon service and having the number ported temporarily up in the air was looming in my head.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Dave posted:

My buddy just got a job at Comcast and has been singing the praises of Xfinity Mobile, but I just switched from Xfinity to AT&T U-verse FIber, because gently caress Comcast and their stupid 1 TB cap.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Xfinity Mobile is a great deal too, but yeah, gently caress Comcast. That's a hard sell for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress Comcast but they’re one of the two internet providers in my area and they’re cheaper.

I’ve never seriously looked into Xfinity mobile but am now. Trying to decipher an ATT bill to compare it is pretty lol. One thing I can pick out easily is the “$10”/month Apple Watch cellular fee is actually $14.13. 41% of “fees.”

Anyway, looking at Xfinity mobile, it shows $45/month for a line of l unlimited data.... but $60/month for 10GB?

Also, which towers do they use? ATT coverage is great here and I’d hate to lose that. Also, I get a 26% discount on ATT.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Rolo posted:

The Pro was supposedly in higher demand than expected. But what knows how much to trust that versus it being the Apple marketing machine at work.

I wouldn’t be surprised though - I’m guessing a bunch of X users are upgrading since we’re on the new model cycle.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, which towers do they use? ATT coverage is great here and I’d hate to lose that. Also, I get a 26% discount on ATT.

They're another Verizon MVNO.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there any way to have music app play radio stations without using siri on ios 13?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rolo posted:

Looks like the website has at least partially refreshed at this point, as "Pre-order" links switched to "Buy" a little after 11am EST. Still reporting nothing in stock anywhere but I guess that isn't too far-fetched.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

kri kri posted:

Is there any way to have music app play radio stations without using siri on ios 13?

Make a shortcut.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My wife updated her 7+ to iOS 13.1. Will she need to run the beta profile on her 11 if she wants to restore from the backup?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

gently caress Comcast but they’re one of the two internet providers in my area and they’re cheaper.

I’ve never seriously looked into Xfinity mobile but am now. Trying to decipher an ATT bill to compare it is pretty lol. One thing I can pick out easily is the “$10”/month Apple Watch cellular fee is actually $14.13. 41% of “fees.”

Anyway, looking at Xfinity mobile, it shows $45/month for a line of l unlimited data.... but $60/month for 10GB?

The 10GB is $60 a month because it's shareable with other lines. So you can have 3-4 lines for $60 a month if you stay under 10 GB as a group.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
So angry at Apple for wasting almost 2 hours of my life for my 30-minute "appointment" to pick up a device I'd already paid for. Don't even call it an appointment at that point.

And then asking me to pay for it, again, until I brought up two receipts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Dave posted:

The 10GB is $60 a month because it's shareable with other lines. So you can have 3-4 lines for $60 a month if you stay under 10 GB as a group.

Ahh guess I read that wrong. Thanks!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Switching to Xfinity Mobile as of today when my wife's 11 shows up (upgrading from a 6). Single line unlimited is $45/month. Shared 10 GB is $60/month and that is up to 5 different phone lines.

I will be saving over $50/mo with Xfinity mobile. I have their internet at my house too because it is far cheaper and the speed blasts any other option I have to pieces. With the "lease" for their modem/router I am $55/month for like 175/10 speeds.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Buying a modem + router will pay for itself in the long run, especially if you get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Love to start a new phone made by known masters of minimalist design Apple and have 20 different bloatware icons to painfully figure out how to delete/uninstall

including separate Apple Store, App Store, and iTunes Store icons

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Academician Nomad posted:

Love to start a new phone made by known masters of minimalist design Apple and have 20 different bloatware icons to painfully figure out how to delete/uninstall

including separate Apple Store, App Store, and iTunes Store icons

Also getting frustrated all over again by their idiotic icon moving and folder mechanics as you try to stuff the icons you can't delete into a directory.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hello dark mode my old friend. Swiping keyboard isn’t too bad either. Surprised it works immediately without the need to train it like Swift and Swype.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Protocol7 posted:

My wife updated her 7+ to iOS 13.1. Will she need to run the beta profile on her 11 if she wants to restore from the backup?

Set up new phone as new. Enter beta profile and update to 13.1
Erase all content and settings
Start over on new phone (which is now “blank” but on 13.1)
Restore from your backup

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hello dark mode my old friend. Swiping keyboard isn’t too bad either. Surprised it works immediately without the need to train it like Swift and Swype.

It's a good keyboard but it really needs the dang punctuation and number keys on long press like the google keyboard

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Feenix posted:

Set up new phone as new. Enter beta profile and update to 13.1
Erase all content and settings
Start over on new phone (which is now “blank” but on 13.1)
Restore from your backup

That's what I thought, thanks goon.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This is my first time seeing the 11 (XR?) display outside of the max brightness Apple Store floodlights and I'm really impressed. It's calibrated extremely well (better than my iPhone X, which has a decidedly yellow-greenish tint) and the loss in resolution doesn't sting at all, just very subtly noticeable. YouTube playback caps at 1080p60, which is a nice surprise - back around the iPhone 6S days, the resolution was capped at 720p. I was only a little worried about that.

HDR photos and videos take a hit in contrast, but it's only pronounced by holding the devices side by side. That OLED super high contrast punch is subdued a bit.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Who wants to take a stab at guessing what this year's -gate will be?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Have the "Some new iPhone 11 owners reporting significate battery drain issues" articles started going out yet? Then someone rushes into the thread to tell us how bad the new phones are? Those are always my favorite annual MacRumors stories.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm in apple's upgrade program. do verizon stores honor that, or do i need to go to an apple store?