Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sampatrick posted:

Yo someone tell the Pdox devs that they need to make cultures dynamically transition into melting pot cultures rather than either being one culture or the other. This is basically the period of history where culture was the most fluid and seeing the map become wholly Roman rather than Gallic-Roman or Iberic-Roman or so on is weird.

An easy fix would be to make early roman poo poo a "Latin" culture, and then once Rome owns a certain number of provinces start generating a "Roman" culture to represent a diverse, mixed culture. Maybe start it in Rome and the bigger cities, have it spread outward slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Just make it so that it works dynamically with every culture. If you cross culture groups, generate a culture that pops automatically assimilate into rather than assimilating directly into the other culture.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I wonder how hard it would be to code for culture groups to have one hard culture, a suffix, that's hard to change, and one soft culture, an affix, so mostly when changing from, say, a Roman culture to a Hellenic culture in gaul, it would go from Roman-Gallic to Hellenic-Gallic or something like that. So you can still have the current system while allowing the suffix for base culture events. I'd be 110% behind that added granularity.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Anyone have an idea when 1.2 officially drops? I know sometime in September, just wondering if there's been any details. Itching to get back into this, I enjoyed it at launch and thought it was perfectly playable, but lost interest in continuing to play once they announced they were totally overhauling the mechanics (wanted to just wait for the new mechanics and get used to them then).

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I fired this up again last night, and I cant put my finger on it but I'm just not feeling inspired at all. It's really sad because this is my favourite time period in history, and I love all the other paradox grand strategy games. Before 1.2, I played Rome a few times, epirus, sparta, some Greeks in gaul and Spain, and a German tribe. I'd say the most fun I had was masillia in southern gaul. I downloaded the beta patch last night and started a game as knossos, united Crete and just kinda lost interest again. The new pop mechanics are good, I like the variety in buildings, I like the revised power system. I just feel like, I dunno, ultimately it's just a bland map painter. In EU and CK theres an element of advancing ages that bring changes, invasions, new mechanics and stuff like that, plus all of the internal politics that keeps you from just steamrolling everything effortlessly. Not to mention the various unique government types, colonization efforts, etc. In Imperator you just kinda blob constantly, until you smash into another blob and break them apart. It doesn't really matter where you are in the world, it's all kinda samey.

I'll probably try another game, maybe as a larger power? I dunno, I keep wanting to like this but keep bouncing off it and going back to EU and stellaris.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. I wanted to love it but it’s the only paradox game i regret buying.

It just feels sterile somehow. Like, not just launch paradox needing to be fleshed out.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

It just feels sterile somehow. Like, not just launch paradox needing to be fleshed out.

Same. It has a lot of neat ideas, but they all just seem so ... bland.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
"Sterile" is such an etherial term.

I get that usually, it means that it feels like you're playing a number or logical game. It's not legions you command but blobs with bigger numbers, not character events you get but a function. It's sad to hear cause character part of the game looks great, if underused, to me. Those portraits make characters really memorable unlike CK2, and the stats matter much, much more. They have fewer traits but those traits feel more important, unlike CK2 where it's all a blur with those characters like your deceitful charitable falconer detached priest half-brother. Same with events, the writing is much more vivid than EU4 where most of the events read like Wikipedia blobs, and the art is great. But for some reason, it's not enough.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've played around a bit with the Cicero beta. The game is definitely going slowly in the right direction, not just with mechanics but also with some bare-minimum additions of flavor (events, etc.). I still see potential in the game, but it's really not anywhere close to being "there" yet. It's still just a lifeless blobbing simulator with some token pop management and extremely token character interactions thrown in.

Pretty much my only major gripe right now is being completely unsure of how to fix my research ratio when playing as tribals. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the new systems work, the only way that I can directly influence pops to promote into citizens (thus increasing my research efficiency) is via the state-level civilizing focus, which feels really quite slow. Is that WAD or did I miss something?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Another thing with flavor might be the problem with the setting. Of course, everybody loves Romans and Greeks and some barbarians... But what else? There are very few nations you can link to modern times, few factions you know about. In EU4 or even CK2 not to mention Victoria 2 every country you play is in some way connected to the modern world. I can start as Native American and remember all the cowboy movies, I can start as Japan Daymo and remember all the Samurai movies, I can start as Ayattuya and remember my trip to Thai. Even when those factions were just a different color back in EU2 you still had some context. In I:R they've added hundreds of countries or tribes you never heard of. Maybe it'll become better when each one gets a legacy and description.

Compare it to Field of Glory Empires. There are only few dozen countries there. Most don't have much to them, they're all unique but due to combination of generic traits, Civ4 style. Still devs went out of their way to write a unique explanation of history of each state as well as advice on strategy for each of them. Whoever you start as you get some context.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ilitarist posted:

"Sterile" is such an etherial term.

I get that usually, it means that it feels like you're playing a number or logical game. It's not legions you command but blobs with bigger numbers, not character events you get but a function. It's sad to hear cause character part of the game looks great, if underused, to me. Those portraits make characters really memorable unlike CK2, and the stats matter much, much more. They have fewer traits but those traits feel more important, unlike CK2 where it's all a blur with those characters like your deceitful charitable falconer detached priest half-brother. Same with events, the writing is much more vivid than EU4 where most of the events read like Wikipedia blobs, and the art is great. But for some reason, it's not enough.

I disagree with how they’ve handled characters being better. I don’t have a well thought out reason but here is my gut: I remember poo poo that happened in my CK2 games. I remember my inbread uncle who revolted against me. I remember that time I carved off half the Spanish empire for saxony through a centuries long campaign of royal marriages.

And it’s not just the setting either. I remember family members and awesome generals from Rome: Total zwar (the first one) games I played over fifteen years ago.

Right now my only interaction with families and people is “oh the goy filling whatever job this is died? Sort by stats pick top”. “Oh the Scipii are pissed that they don’t have enough jobs. Ok write that down and the next one that comes up give it to one of their fail sons even if there is someone better. Oh there are only two people in their family? Lol gently caress them. Back to coloring the boot red.”

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I remember Rome Total zwar characters too. Couple of them, at the very least. I've played CK2 since beta and while it's a fine strategy game it never captured me. I don't remember any stories apart from some global historical occurrences that would work better in EU4. Imperator's characters are simpler but from a few of my games, I remember talented guys from the dynasty I've absorbed, idiot king who triggered embraced court event several times, cool general who made me risk civil war for a long time and was satisfied by marrying into ruler's family. EU Rome was also good in that regard cause it had character history, you could always see who are you dealing with.

When I think about characters from CK2 I only cared about someone being a total idiot or insane. Everybody else doesn't feel different. Character stats only affect chances of various stuff happening, so you can have a genius spymaster missing a plot or dumb one defending you. AI behaves differently based on stats but again, it's too random to rely on: your zealous infidel overlord will probably try to revoke your titles. But maybe no cause he might have a dozen other stats affecting his desire to do so. In the case of your own ruler, you only care about military and stewardship stats cause they affect some real things. Maybe I had to go deeper into CK2 but it always felt superfluous, characters are there to ensure succession and to get claims.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thats a weird take, to me

My experience is almost the complete opposite: traits and stats matter a lot in CK2

edit: Im not saying that you are objectively wrong or anything, just that my own experience (some thousands of hours) was very very different

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 2, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Of course it's all about the perception. Objective things can be said about the numbers game, the "sterile" part of the experience. CK2 character stats objectively affect the game, and there are more of them in CK2 compared to I:R. I just don't connect to them emotionally. To me, EU4 countries behave in more interesting and alive ways. But in CK2 I see the code behind the Matrix for some reason.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't think I have any memorable character related moments from any Paradox games, that's just not what I get out of them. Unless you count "gently caress you, Ottomans" type events, but that's more memorable gameplay than anything with a more RP lean to it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cyrano4747 posted:

You must be new to paradox games. I regret diplomacy, hearts of iron 3, and sengoku, in chronological order.

I still think imperator may work out after a few more months.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

sengoku came out eight years ago, that's hardly new

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ulmont posted:

You must be new to paradox games. I regret diplomacy, hearts of iron 3, and sengoku, in chronological order.

I still think imperator may work out after a few more months.

I played a ton of HOI3. 4 is better just for the better engine in late game, but 3 was still fun.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I had a nice character moment(Though its not the the main reason I like the game either) actually! Early in my campaign I had large parts of another region conquered, and gave the governorship to a young, loyal lady with 14 finesse. Everything was fine until a few years later she was starting to get disloyal, and I got a few corruption events since her corruption was skyhigh. I got her loyal with a bribe and a holding and made friends with the current newly elected ruler.

A few years later, disloyal again. So I got her loyal enough to oust her from her position and gave the governorship to a less capable but less corrupted and more loyal dude. The story don't end here though! She got disloyal again, but this time she was on her way to trigger a civil war! She had basically no power so at first I couldn't figure it out why it was warning me about a civil war...

Turns out she was married to the general of one of my largest armies and well,and he sure as gently caress had power and was ready to join her, even though he himself was loyal I guess. I couldn't just fire her this time, so I dragged her sorry rear end to trial! Managed to win it through a few events and she was chucked in jail. To make sure she wouldn't escape or start rumors from there i paid with popularity to have her flogged to death to finally get rid of her, elections was coming up anyway so the popularity was a small price to pay. :v:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 2, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't think I have any memorable character related moments from any Paradox games, that's just not what I get out of them. Unless you count "gently caress you, Ottomans" type events, but that's more memorable gameplay than anything with a more RP lean to it.

D'you play Crusader Kings 2? Because that's basically the only Paradox game that has characters in it.

Unless stuff like, "You got blown up by your regent with a giant manure bomb, now play your murderer" doesn't count as memorable for you somehow

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Gort posted:

Unless stuff like, "You got blown up by your regent with a giant manure bomb, now play your murderer" doesn't count as memorable for you somehow

It sure doesn't! The dumb assassination events got particularly old really fast. Nothing in CK2 felt any more "personal" than regular old rng events in EU4 (admittedly I stopped playing the game a while ago so there's probably a lot more content now - lack of variety doesn't exactly describe my issues with that game). I had exactly the same problem with Stellaris, the exploration / survey events just weren't interesting to me, they felt like little stories which were completely separate from the rest of the game, and seem entirely unnecessary in what is supposed to be a strategy game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

RabidWeasel posted:

It sure doesn't! The dumb assassination events got particularly old really fast.

Then keep a good spymaster searching for plots in your capital, and keep the people closest to you happy. Don't give the Cupbearer title to people who hate you. I think I've only ever been assassinated three or four times, and two of those times were due to other players thinking it'd be funny.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Then keep a good spymaster searching for plots in your capital, and keep the people closest to you happy. Don't give the Cupbearer title to people who hate you. I think I've only ever been assassinated three or four times, and two of those times were due to other players thinking it'd be funny.

I think what people were talking about were "ha ha a manure bomb goes off, lmao, a literal bomb of poo poo, how random XD, also ur ded" which are kinda tiresome. "Lol u just got your face cut off by your doctor!! Talk about a bad HMO!" There's a real weird vibe to it and it's kinda dull.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The very fact that you can name the events proves that they are memorable which was the whole point, meanwhile I can't remember a single event from Imperator

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

The very fact that you can name the events proves that they are memorable which was the whole point, meanwhile I can't remember a single event from Imperator

I don't think equating annoying with memorable and therefore good is necessarily the best metric.

I know that some people love the weird events like ramming a boat into Cthulu or throwing cows down a big hole but although I might remember these I don't think that they make the game any better of a strategy game and they get very tiresome on repeats.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't think equating annoying with memorable and therefore good is necessarily the best metric.

I know that some people love the weird events like ramming a boat into Cthulu or throwing cows down a big hole but although I might remember these I don't think that they make the game any better of a strategy game and they get very tiresome on repeats.

The question was whether the events were memorable, whether you personally found them annoying or enjoyable is irrelevant. You remember them and thats the point that was being made.

Personally I enjoy them and have always felt that they added some much needed life to these games, and when I eventually see them enough times to get bored of them I just stop reading them and click on my preferred choice. They've never felt particularly intrusive to me in non-CK2 games and in CK2 itself they're kind of the whole game so you're either here for the character RPG stuff or you just flat out don't like the game (and thats ok).

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

AnEdgelord posted:

The question was whether the events were memorable, whether you personally found them annoying or enjoyable is irrelevant. You remember them and thats the point that was being made.

Personally I enjoy them and have always felt that they added some much needed life to these games, and when I eventually see them enough times to get bored of them I just stop reading them and click on my preferred choice. They've never felt particularly intrusive to me in non-CK2 games and in CK2 itself they're kind of the whole game so you're either here for the character RPG stuff or you just flat out don't like the game (and thats ok).

I don't really get being this nitpicky about 'aha, so it WAS memorable' when it's clear that they fall flat to a lot of people. I remember being like "wow this is pretty loving lame" and it took me out of the experience of playing it. If someone audibly farts in the middle of a play that's memorable, but it probably didn't add to the enjoyment.

The guy who brought it up said it was memorable, presumably meaning in a good way. And the thing is while they are memorable for some for others they feel out of place and kinda one time gags. It seems to be about having fun loving with the player's attempt to play the game, I guess some people enjoy that :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If someone audibly farts in the middle of a play that's memorable, but it probably didn't add to the enjoyment.

I can tell you dont go to a lot of plays.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Ham Sandwiches posted:

"Lol u just got your face cut off by your doctor!! Talk about a bad HMO!" There's a real weird vibe to it and it's kinda dull.

But you know what's really funny! How the doctor makes you a eunuch! Wo-ho-ho! And that doctor was my horse! Who was my sister! Who I married! Ho-ho-ho!

It's not that I hate people having fun with those silly events, but as someone said about Stellaris those don't create a story, especially when it doesn't seem like anything about characters affects those events. Except for insane/possessed traits you don't get any special results based on character traits. Your liege is insane - that you will notice, he'll trigger dumb events. If he's not insane he behaves in exactly the same manner depending on his opinion on you. There's also a thing with Imperator making me deal with inept ruler who doesn't understand what's good for the realm; in CK2 you are a ruler so you constantly have to choose between doing what your character would do and doing what would be good for your character and country. I have enough of it in the real world where I know I should eat healthily and exercise!

As for characters in Imperator - I remember perfectly well how a single dull king had destroyed the legitimacy of the bloodline with a regular event describing his idiotic ruling style. I remember how an extremely humble genius general was great for the realm cause he fought the wars and didn't want to rule. I remember foreigner who bore a grudge against the ruler for conquering his country, so his loyalty was always shaking, but I needed him to rule a province of alien culture and religion. CK2 does similar things with events but those always feel like random things that can fire for everyone, not supported by gameplay systems. And some systems added to CK2 made little sense, like Assassins Society who are not connected to Assassins as a political entity or freaking Satanists (those you can and should turn off). Those do add some gameplay personality to characters, but it's weird that only feudal rulers ever participate in all this stuff instead of it being a parallel world mostly for people who don't own land.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gort posted:

Not when you've already seen that event a dozen times it's not. For me characters were memorable for my first couple of runs but eventually you just start seeing them as trait soup and the events start getting repetitive

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

The latest Cicero patch is honestly really good. Like many people I played a bit when this first came out and then stopped. I've started a game as Qataba down in Arabia because in the first few iterations of this game I just bounced off tribal mechanics and figuring out centralization, etc. This time around everything felt smooth, all the mechanics interacted well, and I ended up playing until 2:00 am because I couldn't stop until I'd united Arabia Felix.

The only easy war I had was my first, because once I swallowed one of my neighbors, I became the only regional power among a bunch of local powers. So every war beyond that was against two or three of them at a time. There were two wars where I had to give up territory in order to focus on my main enemies. Once was when a barbarian tribe poured out of the desert, the other was when an African power saw an opportunity to take my colony on the horn while I was fighting other Arab tribes.

The cities and territories division is a really good mechanic. While I wasn't at war, I had to carefully determine my first city. Should I put it in the South West where it can grow larger but is threatened by enemies or in the Eastern desert to help colonize up the coast where it's threatened by barbarians? Watching the demographic shifts once my first city was placed was very satisfying.

I think what really impressed me was that there was never a point where my goals felt trivial. After uniting Yemen, it was still a struggle to push into Africa because a lot of the local powers on the horn had a good tech advantage.

There's still a bit of balancing to get done. The larger I got, the less I found myself using or caring about political power. I didn't find myself caring much about governor policy, which is probably actually a good thing compared to Imperator 1.1 where I'd be fiddling with it all the time, but that means they probably don't need the dozen policy options there. Maybe cut them down to three essential options: one that increases assimilation and revolt risk; one that increases money and revolt risk; and one that decreases money, assimilation, and revolt risk. Maybe toss a neutral one with nothing but the default governor impact to the list and make the special policies take political power for balance.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wafflecopper posted:

Not when you've already seen that event a dozen times it's not. For me characters were memorable for my first couple of runs but eventually you just start seeing them as trait soup and the events start getting repetitive

Repetition is key to remembrance

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It's still the beta with no icons yeah? Cicero does sound cool waiting on the real release though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sometimes I feel like giving this game another chance and then I remember that half the map is megablobs and the other half is a tribal crab bucket and I just sort of sigh and go back to what I was doing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Sometimes I feel like giving this game another chance and then I remember that half the map is megablobs and the other half is a tribal crab bucket and I just sort of sigh and go back to what I was doing.

Same

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I like tribal thunderdome versus blob thunderdome, I just wish the tribal thunderdome would coalesce into a big threat more often when you're not playing them, and the blob thunderdome would splinter and re-blob more often.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-cicero-release-information.1249045/

The patch comes out tomorrow. Patchnotes and video feature breakdown are there in the link.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nice, I need something to break me free from Starsector and my mods for Warhammer 2 haven't updated yet. I'll be glad to get back into this and find out how much has changed.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I recommend playing this video before you're going to bed. ASMR quality is superb. I don't recommend actually watching it: Peter's cold emotionless non-blinking stare will consume your soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCxb-tIs3BE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I really hate to make fun of people for not being good speakers because not everyone's a classically-trained orator but goddamn