Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Macaluso posted:

I kept getting the WoW Blackrock Quarry wowpedia page when I was looking for stuff about that and the city initially :v:

If you weren't aware of him before playing this game, you're going to know who Foucault is if you try and look up stuff in containment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it me or after a certain point are almost all the rewards for Board Countermeasures challenges just the Levitation ammo bonus over and over again

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

<Do you not enjoy Levitate/Fun, Director?>

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I stopped short of post-game grinding to try and get more +Damage Boost mods, but I had such a hard time getting them, even while constantly doing Board Countermeasures exclusively for weapon mods all game long, that I'm not sure they're even in the drop table.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I wasn't hitting the countermeasures too hard while playing, but was digging around a lot and I got my first +damage boost mod in the last story mission after I had beaten all the side quest bosses. I fired the game up today to poke at some walls for a few minutes and a random encounter dropped me my first pink health recovery mod after getting like 5 pink health boosts over the course of my playthrough.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Figured out why the shotgun is so weird, it shoots from the center of the screen. So if you aren't zoomed in it's shooting from about a foot overhead and to the side. Zoomed in is still off to the side a bit. It works much better now that I know about that, but zooming in with a shotgun is kinda awkward

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I literally never figured out that HRA Lab puzzle. I think I basically solved it by accident.

The one with the hedron locks and the five punch cards?

The white boards tell you what to do. There are five designs on each that correspond to the 1-5 labeled computers. Some of the boards outright tell you which belongs in which and others you follow the written in corrections to get their order. The last one I believe is process of elimination.

If you mean the luck puzzle, I'm pretty sure I also brute forced my way to it by the end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's no process of elimination in the HRA lab puzzle.

The order that Darling originally laid out is wrong, which is why he has arrows that say "switch these" and "move this over there".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SardonicTyrant posted:

<Do you not enjoy Levitate/Fun, Director?>

I got ten of them and deleted nine

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I stopped short of post-game grinding to try and get more +Damage Boost mods, but I had such a hard time getting them, even while constantly doing Board Countermeasures exclusively for weapon mods all game long, that I'm not sure they're even in the drop table.

Yes! I’m still stuck with green/blue damage mods and somehow got ten red levitation ammo boosts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

It’s been 24 hours and I’m still giggling over this. Also

This game makes me audibly go “whoa” like few others have

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another thing I liked about the logs in the game is that they use ambiguity to great effect. My favorite early example is the explanation of how the light switch cord made its way into the Oldest House- a pair of agents just stumbled upon it while investigating an AWE and disappeared when they pulled it. Then multiple days later they, and the light switch cord, showed up at the Oldest House and it became integrated. The interesting thing though is that iirc they don't clarify whether the agents were alive or dead when they were found, so depending on your disposition you can either interpret that they were rescued (yay!) OR that they were dead but the cord made its way inside (yay science!).

They were definitely written by someone/a group who knew very well what they were doing.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Just now finding out post-game that the gun named "charge" can be charged to fire the whole magazine at once

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

brand engager posted:

Just now finding out post-game that the gun named "charge" can be charged to fire the whole magazine at once

Be careful with it in tight hallways though, the projectile becomes massive

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I wasn't a huge fan of Charge when I first got it, but then I realized I could fire it and then grab the projectile and lob it at enemies. Then it got a lot funnier.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SubponticatePoster posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Charge when I first got it, but then I realized I could fire it and then grab the projectile and lob it at enemies. Then it got a lot funnier.

Pro strat is to fire all 3 and let 2 break a shield while you grab the third, and then nail the fucker with the extra rocket

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
can’t believe the destructible floor got through testing in the former fight, what a joke

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

snoremac posted:

can’t believe the destructible floor got through testing in the former fight, what a joke

Hint: You can throw the floor-breaking spheres back at him.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I know. I just find it tough since you can just as likely pick up random debris. I get a real Bed of Chaos vibe from it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's annoying because the camera really isn't well-oriented to see the floor when it breaks, but he goes down really quick. A charged Pierce will go through his orbs and hit the eye behind.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's annoying because the camera really isn't well-oriented to see the floor when it breaks, but he goes down really quick. A charged Pierce will go through his orbs and hit the eye behind.
I wound up using pierce in the last phase where Former doesn’t seem to open its eye at all. I just chipped away while avoiding its strikes. I’m sure there’s a better way but I’m just glad it’s over.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

Hint: You can throw the floor-breaking spheres back at him.

That speeds it up and all in all the fight isn't really the hard, but it's definitely just a bad game design decision to have holes in the floor for a fight you are looking up for the entire time

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also shoot the orbs with your gun right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are lots of ways to deal with the orbs but no good way to stop him from punching holes with his tentacles.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's no process of elimination in the HRA lab puzzle.

The order that Darling originally laid out is wrong, which is why he has arrows that say "switch these" and "move this over there".

I couldn't remember if they gave you 4/5 slots straight up and then you had to fill in the blank or if the boards told you all five outright. Either way, listen to Marshall's backseat gaming, she's pointing you right at what you should be looking at.

quote:

I wound up using pierce in the last phase where Former doesn’t seem to open its eye at all. I just chipped away while avoiding its strikes. I’m sure there’s a better way

Former: Is teaching you how to use levitate as a combat tactic instead of just transportation. Once you learn that, Former gets a lot easier.

quote:

but I’m just glad it’s over.

:yikes:

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 20, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They give you multiple big platforms in that fight for a reason. I have a feeling people getting frustrated with the fight are trying to stick to one platform because it's closest to the boss, but if you move to a different one, it will also move. If you notice the footing getting tricky just float on over to the next one and reorient yourself. I do agree that asking you to look down in a fight that's entirely about always looking straight up is a pretty rude design choice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's no footing to notice, though, either you're running along solid ground or you're falling down a hole and already dead.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

haveblue posted:

There's no footing to notice, though, either you're running along solid ground or you're falling down a hole and already dead.

White light does come up from the holes to mark it, it's real tough to see though

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You only get one platform in the first fight. A large platform, but only one nonetheless. I did have levitation but when you are dodging back and forth to dodge it’s easy to dodge back over a point that doesn’t have a floor any more and then your levitation expires and now you’re hosed.

Speaking of spoilers I hope this thread never stops using them even for completely innocuous things because redaction comedy is the height of comedy.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Where is the third (last?) mold host in Ritual Division? I got the two in the office and synch lab.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

snoremac posted:

Where is the third (last?) mold host in Ritual Division? I got the two in the office and synch lab.

Bathroom back near where you first entered the area, if my memory is right.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Shamefully I had to look up the Janitor Door in the motel because I couldn't figure out what to do and I had just encountered that previous bug with the transportation zone control point.

Loved the Oceanview Motel, by the way. Had a great vibe and the puzzles were very light so it remained mysterious but I didn't get sick of it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

AndrewP posted:

Loved the Oceanview Motel, by the way. Had a great vibe and the puzzles were very light so it remained mysterious but I didn't get sick of it.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out the clock puzzle

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Back to talk about the form of the Service Weapon: In the Darling video where he discusses it ("When you're it, you're it!") he is holding a rotating a metallic cube with rubber gloves on. Is that the Service Weapon he is holding in some sort of idle state? The gloves makes me think that if he were to touch it he would then go through the Job Interview in the astral plane, but then that would imply that the video was filmed while there was not a current director who had bound the item or it could be bound by someone else (ousting the director). Or maybe he's just playing it safe.

Or is that not the Service Weapon at all, because in all other videos he's not holding or displaying the actual OOPs themselves?

Nothing in the game would make any answer clear but conjecture is a still a good time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wrr posted:

Or is that not the Service Weapon at all, because in all other videos he's not holding or displaying the actual OOPs themselves?
I had assumed it was one of the cubes that comprises the Service Weapon. When you use Grip it's mostly cubes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think your call with the gloves is correct. Bound just means they can use it. Emily requests to run some tests on it at some point as well.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I'm betting it's a prop just like the others, maybe he's wearing gloves cause it's black rock, and not cause it's the actual OOP.

Hopefully the quarry workers have proper PPE, Black Rock Lung would be pretty nasty I imagine.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Everyone moaned about getting a thin layer of Black Rock coating their lungs until it protected them from the latest FYAD mist that poured out of an Altered humidifer.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Just imagining someone losing it and trying to make colloidal Black Rock.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Epic paid ~$10 mil for exclusivity for Control.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/20/epic-games-store-paid-8-38-million-for-control-exclusivity-10780510/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dang, if the Epic store had been around a couple years earlier then maybe Arkane could have gotten in on this wave too instead of having to make multiplayer games. Grats 2 Remedy.