Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:sigh: just makes me wish I knew anyone else in my area with an interest in Battletech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be the DFA you wish you see in the galaxy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:sigh: just makes me wish I knew anyone else in my area with an interest in Battletech

What area? More likely than not I can hook you up with the closest thing to a local demo agent.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Do not be the Neil Breen of the Battletech realm, as tempting as it might be, I know Clanners are all the rage and all

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

What area? More likely than not I can hook you up with the closest thing to a local demo agent.

Canada, national capital

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That's a great poster. Hope you get a good crew

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tragically I only had a couple people, but we doubled up (2v2v2) and still had an incredible amount of fun. I found a version of the rules for engine explosions, and that led to some absolute hilarity. Some quick pics:

(pre-game)

In the thick of it.

Funny enough, only the Bruin would survive!

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Two of the mechs I've been working on the last two days as Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment:

Mad Dog

Thunderbolt

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The beta for the new edition of Mechwarrior just dropped for backers, and it...actually looks good, amazingly enough.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
???

?????

no seriously where did this come from. This actually looks playable and has a mech combat module beyond "play regular battletech" to boot.

edit: also the how to play section going all in on collaborative storytelling was not something I'd have expected from a Battletech game.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 21, 2019

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stanyer89 posted:

Two of the mechs I've been working on the last two days as Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment:

Mad Dog

Thunderbolt

You're really doing the minis justice. Nice job man

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Der Waffle Mous posted:

???

?????

no seriously where did this come from. This actually looks playable and has a mech combat module beyond "play regular battletech" to boot.

edit: also the how to play section going all in on collaborative storytelling was not something I'd have expected from a Battletech game.

I love it. I have a group that's been interested in the fluff of the Battletech setting for a while, but ATOW was an absolut nonstarter and they couldn't really get that interested in the tabletop rules as a first thing from standing start; I'd been trying to adapt some other system to the fluff, but it wasn't going well. This is exactly what I needed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899309

If you wanna try it out, I am starting a campaign. Who wants to subcontract to NasDiv's security division?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How is the new battletech starter for someone who hasn't played the minis game before?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Flipswitch posted:

How is the new battletech starter for someone who hasn't played the minis game before?

It and the Game of Armored Combat box are the two best starting products the game has ever had. The included minis are very good and the rules content is presented better than ever. The game is still 80s as gently caress in its sensibilities though, since aside from tweaks the core rules haven't changed very much since then.

I don't know how much it will matter to you but the standard BattleTech game isn't a miniatures game per se. It comes with minis and they sell minis for almost everything but it's a hexmap-based game that can be played with cardboard chits or whatever with no changes. If you want a proper BattleTech miniatures game with models and terrain for everything and more units but far fewer details to keep track of per unit like other miniatures games then you'll want Alpha Strike.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flipswitch posted:

I would skip the Beginner Box and go straight to the main starter box, since BB cuts out a lot of the more essential rules. Also gives you more minis.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah doesn't the beginning box cut out like... heat and range brackets? The two most important elements of the game's decision making?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm definitely more interested in playing it as a boxed mech game to bust out rather than the miniature games I play. I just want some more mech games in my life and I like Battletech as a setting but haven't gotten into the actual TT game.

The computer games made the Grasshopper my favourite. :3:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah doesn't the beginning box cut out like... heat and range brackets? The two most important elements of the game's decision making?

Heat, torso twisting, internal structure, and critical hits.

It's currently the only way to get the new Griffin mini though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Some previous base game boxes had a couple of record sheets and a few pages of rules for a similar slimmed-down tutorial game. It's a separate product that you can skip now, but the minis and maps that come with it are nice to have. IMO both minis should have been exclusive to give it a bit more value though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I liked the edition with the hard card maps that folded up nice. Those maps kick rear end.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
New fiction out, Redemption Rift, set in 3139, which kicks off the Draconis Combine-Davion war in fiction, featuring Wolf's Dragoons. Don't want to spoil the story, but it wraps up a storyline a century in the making, as the story ends with the Ryuken getting their first general since someone named Testuhara...

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
drat. I hadn't seen or heard anything about the new RPG beta dropping :(

Now I just have to find someone who has it and issue a Trial of Possession for it :P

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirFozzie posted:

New fiction out, Redemption Rift, set in 3139, which kicks off the Draconis Combine-Davion war in fiction, featuring Wolf's Dragoons. Don't want to spoil the story, but it wraps up a storyline a century in the making, as the story ends with the Ryuken getting their first general since someone named Testuhara...

On the one hand, it would be nice if they'd do something to move the story forward instead of go back to the start of a conflict where one side has already captured the other side's capitol.

On the other, I'm glad that I don't have to read any of the fiction ever again.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This is a Battlecorps story that isn't new in general, just new in physical print.

I like having more books on my shelf.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Canada, national capital

Hey I didn't respond to this immediately but I'm still checking to see if there are any Demo Agents around there. There's a fuckin' million of them in Toronto, for some reason, but nobody I can find immediately in Ottawa.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Thats how it usually is to be 100% honest. Montreal and Toronto are booming and everything im between is a giant blind spot.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tonight I managed to stop a DFA by critical hitting a Mech in the arm in midair and detonating the AC20 ammo in it. drat was that satisfying.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Thats how it usually is to be 100% honest. Montreal and Toronto are booming and everything im between is a giant blind spot.

Is there a particular store you'd want to play at? Chatter I hear among agents is that there's one or two from Toronto that end up that direction every so often anyway, and we wouldn't be agents if we weren't down for a game at the drop of a hat. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I cant remember the last time I went to a store for that sort of thing. The Loft or Hobby Centre I suppose? :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Apparently there's a convention that some of them drive up to in May(?) to run a couple games, you may have a shot then, but otherwise Ottawa looks pretty bereft of... well, anything.

in other news: my phone camera is a potato but I'm still happy with how these came out.

Demi-Precentor VI-Epsilon Arien Donadieu (a name I made up)

Some random loving dude

Two 'Mechs from the same Level II of a Level III I'm building for Adepticon. I'm currently calling it Stalwart Fury III-Omicron, because ComStar is pretentious as gently caress and not following that tradition feels wrong.

Both still need decals and to be based, but the basic paint scheme is finished.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 1, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sounds like the yearly Comiccon

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stanyer let me know that a sculptor with an IG presence (https://www.instagram.com/ablackwe/) has been posting some pics of his work for the new KS, here are his Nova, Stormcrow, and Executioner

I think they look pretty good. Interesting that they seem to have opted for the MWO version of the Nova with an actual (somewhat) twistable torso.

Wonder when they're gonna preview these on the KS proper, come onnnn Catalyst. I know there have been a few other sculpts on the gram too

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

drat, those robots are all :perfect:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Rotary AC/2s loving own. I played a game today with two Partisan (Quad RAC) on my side and it turns out hosing down a Thunderbolt with ~30+ AC/2 hits at a time is hilarious.

Have you ever seen a Thunderbolt with no crits left in the Center Torso? I have now. :v:

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
This is why I've always been a fan of the TLR1-OB. If you play it right a RAC/2 is an SRM6 with 18 range.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This was more the result of my opponent underestimating the Partisans and ignoring them in favor of the (still dangerous) 'Mechs in the force. It was a Carronade, Awesome 9Q, and Tempest 3G, backed up by a pair of Zhokovs and Partisans.

He stepped a Thunderbolt 17S in between both of the Partisans (presumably going for the kick) and they just bullet-hosed it to pieces in about 12 seconds. 6+ to hit with eight guns, 7 hits and 33 clusters later it was missing most of its gyro. 8 hits and 41 (:allears:) clusters later it was a smouldering wreck.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Does anyone know what's going on with the MegaMek site? It seems to be having certificate issues, because OpenDNS is throwing up phishing warnings and preventing me from connecting.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The "legendary" mechs look good. The slight differences in loadouts really make me wish they could handle multipart sculpts right now though so we could do some easier converting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
I stumbled across something I haven't been able to find any discussion or answers to.

I know that active Stealth Armor prevents C3 from functioning, since it treats the stealth'ed unit "as if it were under the effects of enemy ECM".

Now the Improved Communications design quirk.. allows a unit with the quirk to ignore the effects of enemy ECM, or the first level of ECM, with the caveat that it won't cut through Angel ECM.

So what happens if you have active Stealth and a C3 Slave on a mech with the Improved Comms design quirk? Does it cut through its own imposed ECM and function? Or is it still blocked?