Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rust Martialis posted:

How much Saudi oil does the USA import?

Already answered above at 500,00 barrels but even IF the the USA is nominally a crude exporter, the issue here that like the ad said years ago "oils aint oils" - crude comes in different grades and Saudi oil is able to be refined easier to the grades required for petrol and diesel. The USA cant just switch to cracking that grade oil in a blink.

Let alone oil is a global market so removing a hefty percentage is going to cause absolute chaos and price spikes no matter how independant a country thinks it is - the global supply chain is highly interlinked with oil going offshore to be refined as well.

And lets say IF the USA managed to be truly independant - if Europe and China suffers shortages, the USA is going to be hit with trade problems.

The USA is in no way immune to a global oil shock if the KSA lost it's oil production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Like, 233,000 have died and people are starving. So, maybe I'm off. I don't know what qualified to call something a holocaust or genocide maybe.

"genocide" is a relative term defined by degree of success and also retrospective political clout. Genocide has neither been attempted nor accomplished in Syria or Yemen. It was attempted in Iraq, by ISIS, in 2014 to the Yazidis. It mostly worked.

That "mass killing" is the preferred antiseptic nomenclature for such six-figure death incidents should tell you pretty much all you need to know about my own personal opinion about Genocide DiscourseTM

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I was taking issue with the word 'near' and not the characterization of a genocide. I figured the next paragraph where I made fun of them for somehow losing militarily at a genocide would make it clear, but the first bit was definitely ambiguous

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grape posted:

Turkey has that situation going on where I think places farther from them in the region are cool with them. But the places right nearby hate them fiercely, with the apparent exception of Georgia.

I'm pretty sure Georgia would hate Turkey too if it weren't having a much bigger problem with Russia.

Grape posted:

I keep being reminded of WW1 propaganda trying to make the Germans somehow uniquely evil, instead of just one jerk in a crowd of jerks having an inter-jerk war.

Germany was actually worse than the others, as they would demonstrate to the world a couple decades later. Cf. Fritz Fischer.

Which doesn't mean that Iran is the worst in the ME today. It's kind of hard to tell which is the worst between KSA, Israel, Turkey, and Iran.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump's bragging about how he could commit genocide if he really wanted to again:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1175089231477317637

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Cat Mattress posted:

Germany was actually worse than the others, as they would demonstrate to the world a couple decades later. Cf. Fritz Fischer.

Do you have to fast forward a few decades? I would think that "invading a neutral Belgium and mass murdering civilians therein" rather put Germany in a class of its own. Maybe not in terms of actual conduct, but at least in terms of willingness to very publicly spit on what passed for decorum in war.

(This is not ignoring, say, the Ottoman genocides, but at least they managed to kind of hide those from international scrutiny during the conflict)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinteres posted:

Trump's bragging about how he could commit genocide if he really wanted to again:

I wonder how many times a week somebody at the WH has to talk him down from demanding a nuclear strike.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Lightning Knight posted:

I wonder how many times a week somebody at the WH has to talk him down from demanding a nuclear strike.

I wonder how many times a week somebody at the WH has to talk Daniel Dale out of killing himself.

I mean he went from covering Rob Ford to covering Donald Trump.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Egypt update: People in multiple cities went out to protest Sisi's regime today, including at Tahrir square in Cairo

Backstory: Over the course of the past two weeks, Mohamed Ali, an actor and contractor that worked on "military" construction projects made a series of videos calling out Sisi's regime for building lavish palaces, military hotels, vacation houses, rest stops for the use of Sisi's family and top leadership, in addition to ceremonial upgrades for Sisi's mother's cemetery. These projects cost in the hundreds of millions of dollars and were kept secret to avoid any backlash or "sense" of corruption.

The contractor's complaint mainly related to the military withholding payments to civilian contractors, but it escalated after the regime went all out on the guy, attacking him, his family, accusing him of being simultaneously a muslim brotherhood agent as well as homosexual. The regime didn't try to refute these allegations either through official channels or through the state-controlled media - in fact, Sisi went on stage a week or so ago and didn't deny the allegations, instead saying he would build more and more.

After Sisi's response, there have been online rumblings about a call to protest. Nothing really happened after the Friday prayers, but protests went out today after a football match. The main chant is: "Say it, don't be scared, Sisi must be removed".

Some video: https://twitter.com/lummideast/status/1175153789684330496

Ham fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 20, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm

Lambert fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 20, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

if posters itt were limited to just those who know something it would just be like six posts about Egyptian politics by Ham and nothing else

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You're correct.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Tonight, the Egyptian people have broken the barrier of fear, good luck and god be with you Egypt!!! Let freedom roar!!!! this is an incredibly good first step!!!

Every single person going out to protest today are incredibly brave, they're literally facing death and standing up to it.

I'm surprised though at how the protests have managed to even show up so far, I think the police will try to come out in full force tomorrow. either that, or there's a big division in the military and someones trying to take Sisi's job.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 20, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheeee

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1175180524308062208

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Al-Saqr posted:

Tonight, the Egyptian people have broken the barrier of fear, good luck and god be with you Egypt!!! Let freedom roar!!!! this is an incredibly good first step!!!

Every single person going out to protest today are incredibly brave, they're literally facing death and standing up to it.

I'm surprised though at how the protests have managed to even show up so far, I think the police will try to come out in full force tomorrow. either that, or there's a big division in the military and someones trying to take Sisi's job.

I think Sisi would be discarded by the military pretty easily, similar to Mubarak. Far too many opportunists in that institution for it not to happen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Moderate deployment

So 10-50k?
Or 7k moderate

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
No kinetic response, but earlier today launched a cyberattack that took down the Iranian stock exchange and oil corp.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Moderate deployment

So 10-50k?
Or 7k moderate

early reports are "hundreds not thousands"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sinteres posted:

if we nuke Afghanistan the people who emerge will conquer the drat world

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

9/11 was long enough ago now that people forget, but aside from not wanting to pay for a massive deployment, a reason to keep the deployment small is because having American bases in the land of the two holy mosques turned out to be pretty inflammatory last time we tried it. Even when Bush was blustering around the world threatening to take on everyone who wasn't on Team USA, they still pulled out of Saudi Arabia.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lightning Knight posted:

i don't think thats what he wants. i think trump thinks like an old gilded age imperial colonizer. just murder and butcher the country until it either ceases to exist or bends the knee to make the pain stop. kill em all let god sort them out type bullshit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i don't think thats what he wants. i think trump thinks like an old gilded age imperial colonizer. just murder and butcher the country until it either ceases to exist or bends the knee to make the pain stop. kill em all let god sort them out type bullshit.

This was the quote before it, so he was talking about nuking Afghanistan, unfortunately not for the first time:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1175088035291156486

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GreyjoyBastard posted:

early reports are "hundreds not thousands"

Well thats even worse isnt it? Because that means more is coming.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

This was the quote before it, so he was talking about nuking Afghanistan, unfortunately not for the first time:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1175088035291156486

ok. hosed up thing is it wouldnt surprise me if he did try to do it or hell do it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok. hosed up thing is it wouldnt surprise me if he did try to do it or hell do it.

The current jcs has long dreamed of a decisive destruction of Iran. So with that in mind they probably drool over the chance to let off a few nukes as "tactical" battlefielf adjusters. You arent going to see a 10Mt nuke hitting the hindu kush mountains and ending afghani life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The current jcs has long dreamed of a decisive destruction of Iran. So with that in mind they probably drool over the chance to let off a few nukes as "tactical" battlefielf adjusters. You arent going to see a 10Mt nuke hitting the hindu kush mountains and ending afghani life.

i could see him using another moab or two. but nukes. probably. on that note, i do believe the KSA is someday just gonna say gently caress it and try to invade iran. its not like they give a poo poo about their men or civilians.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 21, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i could see him using another moab or two. but nukes. probably. on that note, i do believe the KSA is someday just gonna say gently caress it and try to invade iran. its not like they give a poo poo about their men or civilians.

KSA doesn't have the technical ability to invade Iran.

They don't have a big standing army. Nor the means to transport the army to Iran, nor the means to support it while there.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This is not FOX new's republican guard this is irans.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How exactly will the KSA military even get to the borders of Iran? There's no way the KSA army gets across Iraq and the very idea of a KSA naval invasion is completely ludicrous. Imagine the logistics of trying to make headway and keep supply lines open through a hostile Iraq and then consider the effectiveness of the KSA military against a low tech militia in Yemen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Flayer posted:

How exactly will the KSA military even get to the borders of Iran? There's no way the KSA army gets across Iraq and the very idea of a KSA naval invasion is completely ludicrous. Imagine the logistics of trying to make headway and keep supply lines open through a hostile Iraq and then consider the effectiveness of the KSA military against a low tech militia in Yemen.

Overthrow of Iraq would be required. Otherwise a long lasting air campaign until resistance forms to concede..

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Iran could roll all the way through Iraq and KSA to Mecca without a problem if the US or Israel didn't intervene. The idea of the KSA invading Iran is ludicrous.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Charlz Guybon posted:

Iran could roll all the way through Iraq and KSA to Mecca without a problem if the US or Israel didn't intervene. The idea of the KSA invading Iran is ludicrous.

Iran owns iraq.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Iran could also not do this. You don't roll through thousands of km of desert casually, even if there's zero resistance.

Iran has spent decades building up its armed forces focusing on defense, on building proxies, and smaller, more mobile forces built on fighting the US on its own turf. Neither KSA or Iran has a military built for the sort of war you're imagining.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Oooh, Clancychat time. Yay.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rust Martialis posted:

Oooh, Clancychat time. Yay.

How many days till iran is in Riyadh?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Theres still plenty of Americans in Iraq and Kuwait, i seriously doubt youd see Iranian regulars rolling through either without an American response

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Iran owns iraq.

Makes rolling through it easy

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Anyone following what's going on in egypt? It is Dominating all Middle Eastern hash tags in Arabic. A few weeks ago a military contractor named Mohammed Ali fled to Spain and has been releasing videos detailing military corruption and Sisi squandering of public funds to build palaces. His videos raked millions of viewers and his FB page reached millions of subscribers similar to the "we are all khaled saied" page that initially called for the 2011 protests. This scared the regime and lead to sisi himself holding a hastily made conference to respond to those allegations. A few days ago he released a video calling for people to go to the streets and yesterday night multiple protests erupted all across Egypt against sisi for the first time since he took power and crushed all dissent. Here is a good tweet chain explaining what I am talking about.

https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status/1175135427650629634?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Same question. I've seen the protests slowly start popping up into my feed but media coverage is like zilch.