Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Billionaires aren't worth eating so why do we have them again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The American Dream posted:

From what I can tell from reading books about sports. I think up until the last few years team owners just treated the teams as another part of their business portfolio. Like, you had to be rich to buy a team, but not a billionaire like it is today. I think a lot of the owners now are just so loving rich they need to do something with their money and figure they can pal around with athletes and be on tv wearing blue jeans like a regular person.

With turner owning the braves was like owning wcw and his movie library. He needed programming for his tv stations, so why not buy it all at once instead of paying someone else for the rights to it every year.

Turner bought the Braves in January 1976 (and the Hawks in January 1977). He had gotten the television rights to the team in 1972. For Turner, it was also publicity for his other business ventures. He had a big campaign to sign free agent pitcher Andy Messersmith in 1976 and, as part of his nicknames on back of jerseys thing, decided that Messersmith's was Channel.

Messersmith wore #17. Channel 17. Baseball put a stop that pretty quickly.

Note: Turner didn't come up with the initial idea of nicknames on the jersey, but it was right up his alley. 1976 was also the year of headlock and wedlock night. Weddings on the diamond before the game, Georgia Championship Wrestling after. The Braves promotions office, desperate for attention and money, were much like Turner. Anything to get noticed was better than nothing at all, especially how bad the club was at that point.

Turner was extremely into the Braves ownership for the first couple of years. He made himself manager for a game (the National League also stopped that experiment), participated heavily in the Baseball Olympics he held at the stadium, meddled so much in a free agent signing that the commissioner suspended him. The Braves briefly got good in the early/mid '80s, but his enthusiasm seems to have dimmed by that point. 1991 perked him back up.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I’m not hearing anything bad or something I wouldn’t also do.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Everything I know about owning a sports team I learned from the tv show Ballers

What I'm saying is The Rock is going to buy everything

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does he ever complain about his height on that show?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat those script "A" hats own

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

coconono posted:

Because we lack the power to destroy them.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

DJExile posted:

drat those script "A" hats own

80's-90's Braves aesthetic is extremely good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

guillotines won’t test themselves

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ChrisBTY posted:

Because we lack the power to destroy them.

jesus WEP posted:

guillotines won’t test themselves

goofus and gallant energy with these two posts

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hated the Braves so loving much back in the day

stop delaying the mothership! :bahgawd:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dumbass barves

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

coconono posted:

I think it was AJPW or NJPW that had Tiger Mask jump off the dome into some crash pads. Like 15 seconds of free fall. It was nuts.

Wait what? Like the Shane McMahon bump off the side of the Tron but crazier?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Wait what? Like the Shane McMahon bump off the side of the Tron but crazier?

Yeah it was pretty loving nuts. I wish I remembered it better, sorry.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
After stumbling into a bunch of previously uncharted channel 17 wrestling history in May when I was writing about the Turner wrestling history WRT AEW on TNT, I'm much more convinced of Turner as a TV genius who valued wrestling more than other TV geniuses. To wit, a timeline:

June 1969: Turner and Rice Broadcasting, the owners of channel 17, announce a merger.
August 1969: Channel 17 starts airing outside of the Atlanta area on regional cable via microwave transition to cable companies in neighboring states.
August 1970: Channel 17, previous WJRJ, becomes WTCG, which stood both "Turner Communications Group" and "Watch This Channel Grow," with the latter used in marketing. (Within the TV business, it was "Watch Ted Chase Girls.")
September 1970: Pro wrestling premieres on WTCG...in the form of the WWWF's Capitol Wrestling from Philadelphia.
October 1971: "WRESTLING" (Vince Sr's) is touted as one of the main reasons to watch WTCG in newspaper ads touting their new transmitter.
December 1971: "Live Atlanta Wrestling"/"Georgia Championship Wrestling," the promoters of which Ted had been wooing for years, moves to WTCG, which drops the WWWF show.

THAT is impressive. And it's all years before Ted gets a satellite and puts WTCG on national cable.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol perfect

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Don't shame Macho Man for taking the reigns of male fashion back from Beau Brumell.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s slapping torrie Wilson and terrorizing Elisabeth in heaven now

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
More like oldslimjimless

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I had a dream about Goldberg being my best friend last night.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1176266490280054787

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NienNunb posted:

He is real, and strong, and your friend.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'd watch the poo poo out of a TV show where someone's best friend is Goldberg, and he just runs around concussing himself on trees and posts.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I wish I was Goldberg's husky son

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Helicity posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of a TV show where someone's best friend is Goldberg, and he just runs around concussing himself on trees and posts.

I guess this is the best Where's Rodney? reboot we're going to get.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helicity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBViaeEpX_A

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Helicity posted:

I was all kinds of disappointed when I learned ABC's "The Goldbergs" was not an Odd Couple remake starring Bill and Whoopi.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

NienNunb posted:

lucky

Randaconda posted:

[video type="youtube"]cBViaeEpX_A[[/video]

so good

edit: wtf did i do there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBViaeEpX_A

nope it is not having it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's much less violent than his Christmas celebration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrsAFWPnl4

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Santas Slay is loving incredible

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DJExile posted:

Santas Slay is loving incredible
Every year I host a Very Merry Schlocksmas, where I make my friends Christmas dinner and we watch schlock. Last year, I made a game of it. Nobody knew the movies or the theme, but they showed up and we ate, and dinner was great, and then I revealed The Big Board.

I explained that the board would be divided into two sections. One for each movie. Every participant would be given five post-it notes with their name on them, they'd add them to the side of whichever movie just did something funny or amazing. They'd be offered one refund point, but only one. So they had to be careful not to use up all their points on the first flick. The winner would be the movie with the most votes at the end of the night.

Then I pulled the curtain off the board to reveal the theme:

HOGAN VS. GOLDBERG

Santa with Muscles vs. Santa's Slay.

We all assumed Santa's Slay would win, but Hogan won by a country mile.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I was watching a clip from a Vampiro shoot and he says that he's seen nine people die in the ring or in the dressing room, which is the funniest bullshit lie of a shoot filled with funny bullshit lies

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

I was watching a clip from a Vampiro shoot and he says that he's seen nine people die in the ring or in the dressing room, which is the funniest bullshit lie of a shoot filled with funny bullshit lies

that number may not be that far off tbh

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cross-posting this from the pod thread because it's VERY on-topic:

---

Several weeks back, someone linked me [to Buff Bagwell’s podcast with a timestamp to when he had Shane Douglas on and they talked about being sent by Bill Watts to what seemed like a fetish photoshoot where they kept putting a gun in each other's mouth.

Really.

---

It's at 44:20 of this episode: https://buffandboochcast.podbean.com/e/the-franchise-shane-douglas/

(Yes, his show is "The Buff & Booch Cast" and they have it set up to have a public download counter.)

Not surprisingly, given Buff's involvement and the story, there's some homophobia, but it still needs to be heard because they're clearly telling the truth and it's a loving *wild* story.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's WCW adjacent but I can't believe I'm just finding out that Butterbean knocked out Sean O'Haire at Pride 32. Got himself a scalp from WWE and WCW.

poo poo video but screw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50bd83lvnAw

And wow I had no idea O'Haire passed in 2014. I thought it was way earlier. God that's sad.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TheKingslayer posted:

It's WCW adjacent but I can't believe I'm just finding out that Butterbean knocked out Sean O'Haire at Pride 32. Got himself a scalp from WWE and WCW.

And wow I had no idea O'Haire passed in 2014. I thought it was way earlier. God that's sad.

I wish the fight lasted multiple rounds so we'd get to hear the commentary team try to find more things to say to kill time. Instead we get a split-second fight and "O'Haire's a streetfighter"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

i'm not sure that O'Haire would have been the megastar that people act like he could have been, but he could've had a really solid career and his future was pretty much ripped from his hands. he couldn't stop beating his girlfriends either which probably didn't help but it's not like WWE really cared that much back then. real weird hosed up dude, it's a sad story

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's actually a happy story if you don't ignore that one thing. Yahoo, everyone! Wa-hey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I'm pretty sure Johnny Knoxville went longer in the ring against Butterbean than Sean O'Haire or Bart Gunn did.