Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I always found it odd how flimsy the flats were when I lived in the UK. Creaky hardwood floors and stairs where you need to do the dance step thing from Monkey Island to avoid alerting the entire house. Or a carpet so thick it holds on to liters of water from the damp damp air because the front door doesn't quite close all the way. And then the letting agencies...

I'm currently back in Iceland, in a house built in the last 30 years, with thick concrete walls and floors. There's a pub right below me, there's a troubadour playing right now and if I listen very carefully I can just barely hear the lovely version of Karma Police. I love many things about the UK, but the housing situation is just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Watson is most likely gone in the morning lmao.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Well you see ideology = old, bad. values = new, good
Values are quantitative, ideologies are qualitative.

It really sums up New Labour, their whole thing was about number going up, even the non capitalist parts. It was all about numerical targets for arson reports, for birds per suburban area, for teenage pregnancies, for ASBOs, for weddings and divorces.

Obviously some numbers are important, like your environmental scientists ought to know PM2.5 levels as part of a wider ideology for healthier cities, but they were basically Numbers Fuckstein, the party.

Zedlic posted:

I'm currently back in Iceland, in a house built in the last 30 years, with thick concrete walls and floors. There's a pub right below me, there's a troubadour playing right now and if I listen very carefully I can just barely hear the lovely version of Karma Police. I love many things about the UK, but the housing situation is just the worst.
That sounds good, but how does it maximize profits for the institutional landlord?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wonder how long it'll take for the Lib Dems to announce that Watson is joining them.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The original context for those interested:
https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/08/28/tom-watson-theres-not-enough-love-in-our-politics/

quote:

“Why? He doesn’t believe in anything” asked one Labour member when they heard I was about to interview Tom Watson. The West Bromwich MP has resigned from Tony Blair’s Government, waged war on illegality in the Murdoch empire, won a Government inquiry into historic sex abuse and left Ed Miliband’s top team. Yet plenty of politicos, particularly Labour ones, whisper that he has no principles.

“I don’t think it’s true,” Watson tells me with a half shrug of resignation. “The truth is that I’ve been on a journey in my politics. It’s been in a little bit of a state of flux, to be honest, as I try to figure out what the future holds. And I think that can make some people suspicious.”

[...]

Is our Blairite commentator right? Does he believe in anything, really? “The first meaningful interaction I ever had with Tony Blair was back in 1995,” he says. “We were debating his plans for Clause IV – I was the party’s youth officer – and he said to me: ‘You’ve got to understand that what all of this is about is turning us from an ideology-based party into a values-based party.’ And as it happened, I completely believed in it.”

Little more a decade later, of course, Watson would cause a media-political storm with his resignation as a defence minister and an open letter calling for the man he “completely believed in” to clear out. Why? “I couldn’t see the values in action. We were in this awful arid desert of pragmatism. The people I had joined the party to help were becoming increasingly marginalised by a Westminster elite dinner party debate.”

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
watson being such a monumental prick as deputy leader that it makes everyone else vote to abolish the position is incredibly funny

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hope they then vote to reinstate the deputy leader 5 minutes later but obviously requiring a new ballot since it’s a new position.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, as evidenced by watson not doing it it seems like a fairly useless position.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Noxville posted:

Hope they then vote to reinstate the deputy leader 5 minutes later but obviously requiring a new ballot since it’s a new position.

Remembering how dire the choice was last time round, hopefully they won't.

Just reading that New Statesman article. Watson never finished his degree. How come that doesn't get dragged up every 2 minutes like Corbyn not finishing does? Wait... I know why.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 20, 2019

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Noxville posted:

The position only exists to mend rifts in the party, giving it to a loyalist is pointless and at this point, any lib would likely (try to) wreck like Watson.

E: its like the cupbearer title in CK2. It's got a bit of a pay raise and provides some prestige, and it'll bump up the opinion of a quarreling vassal sure, but if everyone's looking to stab you in the back, it might be more trouble than its worth

Saith fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 20, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Could I have a list of what Watson has done recently. Like in general he seems to be very close to a lot of media folks and that is about it.

Is he essentially just doing the whole "I'm really Labour just not Left" dance that folks keep doing?

Other than the attempt to go "We should have a referendum THEN an election" as if that would solve anything/ have ANY loving time to get done.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

lol drat

I feel like this was an execution method in some scifi book? I want to say it's either an Iain Banks or Douglas Adams idea, to give the executed a final sensation of exhilarating flight before their brain dies.

Use of Weapons, Zakalwe gets decapitated and his head flung through the air. The Ship is then able to beam his head up an instant before death and regrow his body. The drone, Skaffen-Amitskaw gets him a get-well-soon card and a present. Its a hat

I think it's based on a real thing. I have a vague memory of one of the Horrible History books, Awful Aztecs maybe, that talked about bending young saplings under the condemned's ears to fling it through the air. Sort of a final act of compassion, they get to experience fight in their last moments.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1175152255768682499

The fact that this has blindsided supposed master tactician Watson is just perfect. gently caress off, and keep loving off all the way to the Lib Dems.

Josef bugman posted:

Could I have a list of what Watson has done recently. Like in general he seems to be very close to a lot of media folks and that is about it.

Is he essentially just doing the whole "I'm really Labour just not Left" dance that folks keep doing?

Other than the attempt to go "We should have a referendum THEN an election" as if that would solve anything/ have ANY loving time to get done.

He's widely suspected to be behind the majority of the malicious leaking/'senior labour source' briefing that happens, at least the stuff from shadow cabinet. Also the leaking of the manifesto at the last election, which luckily backfired.

He'd almost certainly try something similar this time. Far better to lose a day of conference news than go into a snap election with him on the team.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
What's the difference supposed to be between "ideology based" and "values based"? Ideology comes from values. (The answer is that the word ideology polls badly)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

What's the difference supposed to be between "ideology based" and "values based"? Ideology comes from values. (The answer is that the word ideology polls badly)

The actual answer is that New Labour was about marketing as the Labour Party while fully accepting & working within the boundaries of & in fact establishing a post-post-war consensus. Or I guess a post-Callahan consensus sounds a bit less silly. The key word here being marketing. It was all about focus group testing and slick branding and nice soundbites while continuing to hammer on with the privatisations, the PFI, the attacks on the welfare state. They'd convinced themselves that to win the election Labour needed to not be a party for labour any more. Maybe that was true in 1997 (personally I think I could have headed the Labour Party to victory in May1997 & I was still months away from turning 13) but it's blatantly not now, between Millennials & Zoomers you've got two generations who are entirely rejecting the neoliberal consensus. It should have been rejected after 2008 but lol.

But it's that loving moronic disease of liberals where they all too often insist they are above ideology, stanning for the status quo is an ideology you stupid liberal fucks, now hurry up and jump in the guillotine.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 20, 2019

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1175158981939126272
Haha loving try it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1175158092402745345

Don't give a poo poo about the article but lol at the description of it.

jabby posted:

He's widely suspected to be behind the majority of the malicious leaking/'senior labour source' briefing that happens, at least the stuff from shadow cabinet. Also the leaking of the manifesto at the last election, which luckily backfired.

I thought that was generally accepted to have been Leslie, so high on the smell of his own farts that he was convinced it would destroy Labour with all that radical talk of "not killing poors" and "not killing brown people" and "not killing brown, poor people in order to enrich rich white people"?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

jabby posted:

He'd almost certainly try something similar this time. Far better to lose a day of conference news than go into a snap election with him on the team.

But these seem to have stopped now right? I'd still prefer us to keep ourselves sharp, though with the big blow up that last week could have been (were it not for the Scottish Courts) I might be in disagreement.

I mean why would he? This does seem to be the big thing (that the New Statesman article did not answer) is Why? Why go to all this length?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Reading this. “The first meaningful interaction I ever had with Tony Blair was back in 1995,” he recalled in a 2014 Catholic Herald interview. “He said to me: ‘You’ve got to understand that what all of this is about is turning us from an ideology-based party into a values-based party.’ And as it happened, I completely believed in it.”

WHAT IN THE NAME OF gently caress DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?

The bit about Watson having a hissy fit because he was told no phones were being allowed in to stop leaks really paints him miserably too. Utter child.

An ideology is more structured than a simple set of values. Blair was saying he wanted to think outside the box of traditional Labour dogma in order to deliver the sorts of things it liked. Or, more cynically, removing structure from the party's goals made it more difficult to question whether his actions were furthering them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

My bank account doesn't have an ideology, but it sure as hell has a value!

I think, more seriously, it's part of the "end of history" thing. Ideologies drive you to structurally change society, to envision a rebuild from the ground up. In the mindset of the 90's, there was no more place for this in politics, as Liberal Capitalism had clearly won and was the best, forever. Values, however, are just your priorities. You don't have to completely restructure society to just act with some idea that maybe poor people should get the chance to be rich too. So a Blair government wouldn't change the basic fabric of society after Thatcher and Major but might pursue what was there with some different priorities.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Josef bugman posted:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/what-does-tom-watson-want

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought that was generally accepted to have been Leslie, so high on the smell of his own farts that he was convinced it would destroy Labour with all that radical talk of "not killing poors" and "not killing brown people" and "not killing brown, poor people in order to enrich rich white people"?

I thought at the time of the leak only very few people had access to a copy of the manifesto? Wasn't Leslie just a backbencher then?

Josef bugman posted:

But these seem to have stopped now right? I'd still prefer us to keep ourselves sharp, though with the big blow up that last week could have been (were it not for the Scottish Courts) I might be in disagreement.

I mean why would he? This does seem to be the big thing (that the New Statesman article did not answer) is Why? Why go to all this length?

It's only stopped because he told MPs to temporarily stop loving things up because they are at risk of being deselected.

Before that he was fully into signal-boosting the antisemitism row, calling for Labour to farm out party discipline to an independent body with the power to expel members and just generally wading in to call the entire party antisemitic.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Ahahaha that first tweet. Tell us how you really feel, Laura!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I skim read it, but it didn't seem to actually say all that much.

I dunno. I'd just rather the full democratisation of Labour could be conducted fairly quickly.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
it's difficult to debate someone who never shows up to the loving meetings

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Josef bugman posted:

see jabby's post above. It wouldn't be above Tom to give Kuenssberg a story about himself to make him look good

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

He was positioning himself as the compromise candidate for the Chicken Coup before realising that the membership would obliterate him and it would lose him all power within the party. I assume that he's now just trying to get on the Davos circuit like David Milliband and return in victory once the Labour civil war (which is still very much a possibility) is over and all the nasty lefties have been thrown out.

However he had to wind his neck the gently caress in over the Carl Beech situation and is completely hemmed in on the NEC (which is why he stopped turning up, I'll bet), and has realised that even the Graun are holding back on the sloppy centrist blowjobs because he's so identified with press regulation, so now he's probably just taking money from Progress and Mandelson's little boiler room to cause as much damage as he can on the way out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Glad Watson is getting the axe, if only metaphorically while we remain a part of the ECJ's jurisdiction.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hosed up that Jeremy Corbyn threw away his majority by abolishing 21 MPs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Because he's valuelogically opposed to a left labour government, cos he's a knobhead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

I thought at the time of the leak only very few people had access to a copy of the manifesto? Wasn't Leslie just a backbencher then?

You're quite right, and I can't remember the name of the person being bandied around at the time - I never heard Watson being blamed until quite a bit later.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

jabby posted:

It's only stopped because he told MPs to temporarily stop loving things up because they are at risk of being deselected.

Before that he was fully into signal-boosting the antisemitism row, calling for Labour to farm out party discipline to an independent body with the power to expel members and just generally wading in to call the entire party antisemitic.

How likely is it do you think that a load of the MP's get deselected anyway/don't go anywhere?

Alongside that, I do hope it's not just internal power struggles, we have so much else to be doing.

I don't like how he just didn't show up at all to the NEC for like 5 months though, that seems... I dunno it seems galling to me.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I skim read it, but it didn't seem to actually say all that much.

I dunno. I'd just rather the full democratisation of Labour could be conducted fairly quickly.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1175160379632246786
No other way to do it if Watson refuses to quit and 20% of MP's wont launch a challenge.

Also worth remembering that if Corbyn was ever incapacitated/died/got murdered like the press are all hoping for, Watson would inherit the leadership. Which includes the right to nominate a big chunk of the NEC. He would absolutely try to use the leader's position to rig the next leader election, including changing the rules if necessary and arm-twisting as many MPs as possible to keep a left-wing candidate off the slate. It would be a complete disaster and one of the few ways the right could re-assert control of the party against the membership.

It's also totally why he's been squatting in the deputy leader job despite not doing any of the work.

Josef bugman posted:

How likely is it do you think that a load of the MP's get deselected anyway/don't go anywhere?

Alongside that, I do hope it's not just internal power struggles, we have so much else to be doing.

I don't like how he just didn't show up at all to the NEC for like 5 months though, that seems... I dunno it seems galling to me.

I don't think we're going to see mass deselections. There may be a couple, and they may not be the ones anybody expects. Local politics can be unpredictable.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Deselection is pretty toothless and will be disappointing to the membership while making the most obnoxious people who show up to meetings even worse, I think, but anyone who goes CUK is going to lose their seat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Been spending Friday night listening to new music. Having a good wee headbang to the new King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard record which is just straight up thrash metal, fun change from their usual(?) sound.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol gently caress off laura not only did he not turn up to a recent NEC meeting to give his report he didn't even let them know he wasn't doing so wasting a bunch of time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also a lot of the real arseholes either jumped or deselected themselves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Well I hope it all gets sorted.

I am off to bed as I am in work doing some overtime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice of them to let you bring your bed with you.

Sleep well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1175164186080550913?s=20

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1175164189016502274?s=20