Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ATP_Power posted:

I'm betting it's a prop just like the others, maybe he's wearing gloves cause it's black rock, and not cause it's the actual OOP.

Hopefully the quarry workers have proper PPE, Black Rock Lung would be pretty nasty I imagine.

:yooge: Not if they use beautiful, clean black rock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Good for Remedy. The only time epic exclusives ring of bullshit is following Kickstarter campaigns.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lol holy poo poo Epic if you have that much money laying around why don’t you hire some programmers to make the store suck less instead

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Steve Yun posted:

Lol holy poo poo Epic if you have that much money laying around why don’t you hire some programmers to make the store suck less instead

They're too busy making weapon skins and dance emotes for Fortnite

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

i don't blame companies for taking epic bux when the gaming market can be so volatile and unpredictable these days

(also the steam market's kind of poo poo for indies these days but that's not relevant to this game)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 21, 2019

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I had what I think was a bug when the room with the hand chair altered item had the red blocky haze block both exits and I had to restart the game to get out of there. The destructible red blocks appeared in spots around the room too. I couldn’t understand why any of it was there since it has no apparent relation to the altered item quest.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think that just killing all the red blocks quickly enough opens it up.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I was blasting them with shatter and launching stuff, though nothing seemed to happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You have to kill them all within a few seconds of each other, there are 3 in the room.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Ah okay. That's a bit odd, just because it doesn't tie into the altered item which you can deal with regardless and you've otherwise been in that room already a few times.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's just like getting access to the training course.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Is there a file that explains wtf is going on here

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 21, 2019

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Though their gameplay styles are different, Control is much like The Surge in terms of you exploring a modern facility post-crisis and unraveling what is happening, if anyone is hungry for more of this kind of thing. I personally prefer The Surge's plot, though Control has better cutscenes and protagonist.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Isn’t that a lot of games though

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I guess I should add the qualifier *good* game about exploring a modern facility etc.

The Surge appears to have gotten more attention over time, but I imagine a lot of people wrote it off as a Souls knock-off, which is understandable on a surface level after Lords of the Fallen.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I've only just started playing. Is the map really as useless as it appears to be? As in, there's no in-game way to track some door or passageway you want the come back to later with a key or something?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Bramble posted:

I've only just started playing. Is the map really as useless as it appears to be? As in, there's no in-game way to track some door or passageway you want the come back to later with a key or something?

Yeah it’s a pretty bad map.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a file that explains wtf is going on here

It looks to me like they threw together a control point with what they had around because they were in a hurry to do so for some reason

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That’s the control point you get to when you follow Ahti. Presumably it means that’s “his” point.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

The Bramble posted:

Yep, no way to track that. It also does a poor job of representing depth. Sectors with verticality and multiple floors can be hard to navigate on the map.

Control does have some... questionable design elements. My biggest beefs with the game were the hard-to-read map, a frustratingly limited save/checkpointing system (made worse by bad load times on PS4), a boss that randomly punches insta-death holes in the floor while you’re looking up at the boss, and unnecessarily low player health that makes it more difficult in a way that I found less fun. (I wish Jesse had more health or regenerating health, and yes I do have all the health upgrades and mods, and I still feel that way. Too many deaths from just two hits with no opportunity to recover health)

Still a phenomenal game in spite of all that.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

That’s the control point you get to when you follow Ahti. Presumably it means that’s “his” point.

The Foundation control point is like that too. I figured it was Ahti marking a control point with a cargo cult-style imitation of the FBC’s more official control points with all the fancy tech. I thought it was a clever little detail.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Blotto_Otter posted:

The Foundation control point is like that too. I figured it was Ahti marking a control point with a cargo cult-style imitation of the FBC’s more official control points with all the fancy tech. I thought it was a clever little detail.

It's probably the other way around.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I always got the impression that Ahti knew exactly what he was doing.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ahti is very clearly part of the oldest house. Like he wasn’t hired to sweep he’s just always been sweeping. I hope the DLC explores him more but I’m also totally into leaving him up to head canon.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

guppy posted:

Yeah, I always got the impression that Ahti knew exactly what he was doing.

“Cargo cult” was probably the wrong choice of words because it implies lack of understanding; I agree Ahti knows what he’s doing, and was just mimicking the FBC’s equipment setup as a way to communicate to Jesse that it’s a control point, or as a joke to poke fun at the FBC scientists (or both, probably).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

“Cargo cult” was probably the wrong choice of words because it implies lack of understanding; I agree Ahti knows what he’s doing, and was just mimicking the FBC’s equipment setup as a way to communicate to Jesse that it’s a control point, or as a joke to poke fun at the FBC scientists (or both, probably).

it's just as likely if not moreso that the FBC's control points are a lovely imitation of Ahti's

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

it's just as likely if not moreso that the FBC's control points are a lovely imitation of Ahti's

So the janitor taping a bucket to the top of a mop to create a nonfunctional facsimile of a radio dish, came before the radio dishes? I’m sure Ahti was in the Oldest House first, but I think the simpler explanation for why he modeled his control points after the FBC’s was either to take the piss out of the FBC (and their futile efforts to understand/manipulate the control points), or to adopt the FBC’s iconography in performing whatever ritual was necessary to harness the control points. I bet Ahti’s been dealing with control points since long before the FBC, but has been changing the “ritual” around them to reflect the iconography used by society at any given point in time (which just happens to be the FBC’s radio dishes and flood lamps, at the moment).

(I think the fact that I’m reading far too much into this means that Control is probably my GOTY so far)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Blotto_Otter posted:

So the janitor taping a bucket to the top of a mop to create a nonfunctional facsimile of a radio dish, came before the radio dishes?

yes, absolutely

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They're both facsimiles of a mirror on a stand. What matters is the symbolism, not actually using the correct parts.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Yeah, my read was along the lines of the path of least resistance to plug into the control point travel network was to use the dominant ritual and due to the malleability of belief / function / purpose / etc in the oldest house, the *shape* of the apparatus was more essential than its actual *function*.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My gut feeling is that Ahti doesn’t even need it and just mocked them up for the benefit of Jesse

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not Ahti's fault the FBC pissed while running, perkele.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah I agree, I think Ahti wouldn't need to make or need to set it up to teleport Jesse, he could just do it, but it communicates to Jesse (and us) that it's a control point that Ahti made.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean the setups aren't to enable teleportation, they're to prevent house shifts. Maybe he just wants that area to be stable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

It's not Ahti's fault the FBC pissed while running, perkele.

They very much threw the spoon in the corner on this one

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know for all the Remedy voice acting alumni (new and veteran alike) I’m surprised that Vinnie/Barry didn’t show up anywhere.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean the setups aren't to enable teleportation, they're to prevent house shifts. Maybe he just wants that area to be stable.

What makes you say that? Is there a file on the control points?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Steve Yun posted:

What makes you say that? Is there a file on the control points?

Yes there's a file that says exactly that. At least, that's what the equipment set up around the point is for.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s also some dialogue between Jesse and Emily where Jesse asks “hey, so, uh, do control points usually let you teleport?” And Emily goes “What? No! Can you do that!?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

There’s also some dialogue between Jesse and Emily where Jesse asks “hey, so, uh, do control points usually let you teleport?” And Emily goes “What? No! Can you do that!?”

I somehow missed that, but I love that it's there. Because *of course* fast travel is an in-world thing here, not just a game mechanic.