Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you often have trouble seeing completely obvious stuff right in front of you?

Maybe he’s a t rex that can only see movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Been done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGbucSjSLDw

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ATP_Power posted:

Shame on her brain for being inattentionally blind to an unmarked hazard that's the same color as the ground and is blocking the bigass hole in the sidewalk that opened front of her.

Serious question: Do you think those doors are made of concrete?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Things should be safe and there's always ways to make things safer but those doors are only a danger if you're literally not remotely looking where you're going. She could have just as easily have walked into a lamp pole or something and broke her nose but it would have never been the pole that was dangerous. Maybe we could paint all poles bright yellow with proximity sirens and cones around them, but maybe people could actually glance at where they're walking every couple seconds at the least.

If there was a cone in this situation it would have some how ended up stuck on her foot as she fell into the staircase. Some people will just Mr Magoo every situation no matter what you do.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

They should just lower the road, then they wouldn't need steps down to the basement.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They should raise the basement

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I heard a story from a former bar manager in Syracuse about the basement stair delivery thing. Previous policy was to clear the basement and just roll the kegs down the stairs. Dude said those kegs would be flying down the stairs, knocking bits from the walls. His bright idea was to set up a thick board at the bottom of the stairs attached to a weight with pullies, in hopes of decelerating the kegs once they hit the floor. First time out the whole assembly got ripped out of the wall, causing even more damage than letting the kegs bounce around down there. This is the same guy whose father delivered beer kegs off the back of a truck the old way: rubber mat goes behind the truck, roll them off, and you just catch 'em as they bounce to set them upright. He bought rubber mats for the basement after.

If you can't make it safe, make it less dangerous. There's a Red Green joke there somewhere...

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

shovelbum posted:

If you follow at the "proper" distance people will just swerve into the large gaps you leave unless you are in one of the very few places that aren't basically perma congested now

This is only a problem if you are racing on a track and need to come first. It's ok to let people in and ease off to create a safe gap again. If the lane is so congested that you are barely moving forward then the gap is too small for a car to merge into.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gromit posted:

This is only a problem if you are racing on a track and need to come first. It's ok to let people in and ease off to create a safe gap again. If the lane is so congested that you are barely moving forward then the gap is too small for a car to merge into.

You need to come to Atlanta and work under that assumption, because you'll be surprised.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ditto Miami. I think people had more courtesy on Fury Road than they do here. The only redeeming part of evacuation (according to a random goon in the Florida thread) is that Florida Man doesn’t have the room to build up any speed when there’s gridlocked traffic, like with an evacuation. He’ll still cause an accident, mind you (such is the way of Florida Man), but it probably won’t be lethal.

Probably :gonk:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

tater_salad posted:

They should raise the basement

Didn't they raise the road at some point? On some really old buildings in the city, the basement might be the ex-1st floor.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

People don't give a gently caress about caution tape, or pylons or any other type of barrier typically.

stevewm posted:

Absolutely.

Probably wouldn't even feel it.

You’re delusional. If you’re crossing a danger tape barricade you’re doing so consciously. A lady walking and using her phone isn’t going to accidentally break through tape and fall into a hole

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
All because of poo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hixson posted:

You’re delusional. If you’re crossing a danger tape barricade you’re doing so consciously. A lady walking and using her phone isn’t going to accidentally break through tape and fall into a hole

“Break” through tape? Are you serious here? It’s not Kevlar it’s thin plastic. Or is that :thejoke:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jenny Agutter posted:

The"doors" were the exact same color and texture as the surrounding sidewalk because they actually are sidewalk. Absolutely should have been cordoned off

I know this is an "old" post, but I've never seen one that wasn't unpainted rusted steel, it's pretty obvious on a concrete sidewalk.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some ships broke free from their moorings and thrashed a bridge in Houston, thanks to TS Imelda.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-09-20-texas-interstate-closed-barges-hit-bridge

Bonus:

https://twitter.com/GrooganFox26/status/1175136432450617345

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Hixson posted:

Do you really think if she ran into a caution tape barrier she’d walk through it into the hole?

100% yes.

There are soooo many videos of people on their phones walking into everything from glass doors to street lamps to ponds and so on.

People will walk into anything when they're on their phones and not looking, if they're distracted enough to walk into stuff like that, they'd walk right through barrier tape and right down the hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGYQEp-vnY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlF4JL-4r0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgTM1pPjKQ

People are dumb.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
A barrier tape set back at a proper distance gives people a heads up before they fall, a knee high barrier is just a trip and you're in the hole

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Willfrey posted:

We need less warnings, less foam corners less ways for idiots to remain in the gene pool

I know I'm late to the party, but here it is anyway. People who talk like this would be the first to go. There is nothing wrong with wanting to prevent a human being from running across injury for any reason. It's like saying that there shouldn't be reflective markers on any roads to help weed out bad drivers. The only reason most of us are still alive in modern society is because somebody decided to warn us about something dangerous in our surroundings. Mock me for having a melty or what have you, but this poo poo just reeks of anti-vaccer logic. You enjoy a relatively safe life because somebody put foam on that corner your stupid rear end ran into at some point. People who don't have the brain cells to realize this are the same people that would get their genitals stuck in a band saw unless somebody told them not to. loving eugenicss as a reaction to being distracted while walking is some Reddit level galaxy brain poo poo. gently caress.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

shovelbum posted:

A barrier tape set back at a proper distance gives people a heads up before they fall, a knee high barrier is just a trip and you're in the hole

Maybe get off your loving phone?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Burt Sexual posted:

Maybe get off your loving phone?

You can pry it from my cold, dead hands :argh:
And good luck, because I will have glued it to said cold dead hands

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The guy with the hardhat in there should know better at the very least, regardless of who he works for.
There probably isn't a guy with a hardhat in there, it's just a staircase. That store was just getting a delivery or something, they weren't doing any work.

You can literally see a guy with a hardhat in there after she falls in, he comes over into frame.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

You can literally see a guy with a hardhat in there after she falls in, he comes over into frame.

"What the gently caress? I didn't order this."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

wesleywillis posted:

People don't give a gently caress about caution tape, or pylons or any other type of barrier typically.

I was at a petrol station last week and they had an out of order pump. It had signs on each nozzle and two cones at either end to block it off.

Textbook stuff.

As I'm filling up, I watch a guy pull up at the blocked off pump, move the cones and drive forward and try to fill up.

:sigh:

Project 2501
Nov 18, 2014
https://i.imgur.com/5CXsgqH.gifv

Rough TL:
"Driver: I only did that because I knew what I was doing
Reporter: Weren't you worried about it?
Camera: We were at a safe distance, the video was zoomed in, there was no one close to the vehicle. It was a controlled environment. it was me, the driver and two or three guys but there was no danger to anyone
Reporter: But the moves left both now unemployed
Reporter: What are you going to do now?
Driver: Well I am not going to do that anymore, I have to be chill and find another job"

e: few things in the TL

Project 2501 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 21, 2019

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

29 U.S. Code § 4160

Whoever opens a junction box without authorization, shall be fined for $50 and suffer death in the electric chair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Death by Electric Boogaloo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

d3lness posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but here it is anyway. People who talk like this would be the first to go. There is nothing wrong with wanting to prevent a human being from running across injury for any reason. It's like saying that there shouldn't be reflective markers on any roads to help weed out bad drivers. The only reason most of us are still alive in modern society is because somebody decided to warn us about something dangerous in our surroundings. Mock me for having a melty or what have you, but this poo poo just reeks of anti-vaccer logic. You enjoy a relatively safe life because somebody put foam on that corner your stupid rear end ran into at some point. People who don't have the brain cells to realize this are the same people that would get their genitals stuck in a band saw unless somebody told them not to. loving eugenicss as a reaction to being distracted while walking is some Reddit level galaxy brain poo poo. gently caress.

"Take off all the warning labels :downswords:" is a dumb angle to take at any time, but in this case I don't think there was any kind of warning she was going to notice short of someone walking up and physically stopping her.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly at first I thought something had smashed through the wall behind the loving stove.

In this case I guess I'm just surprised that it's this, uh, limited of a gas explosion if it's a gas stove. I figured the loving thing would've come apart and sent cast-iron shrapnel everywhere. See also why I'll never own any of these loving hell devices.

At least nowadays everyone's pretty much using natural gas and not the death gas of the past (suicide by putting your head in the oven worked because the town gas produced from coal contained a ton of carbon monoxide, and I wonder how many people died in the production facilities over the years...)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

d3lness posted:

Unironically agreed. Idiocracy is literally a pro-eugenics movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shovelbum posted:

I'm not saying you shouldn't put up barrier tape, but from work my experience is that when you cordon off an area with tape saying "DO NOT CROSS THIS LINE", people will automatically walk over or under it (it usually has enough flex to allow for that) and proceed to walk directly into their doom. Luckily most of the time it's not been deadly and sometimes it's not even dangerous, but still pretty horrible to watch.

e: Just remembered last week someone walked into a fresh patch of asphalt despite it being taped off. He wasn't even looking at his phone or anything, just didn't want to go around and use the other entrance I guess :shrug:

ee: Oh and the guy who drove a forklift through a big automatic door that was cordoned off and had a huge sign on it, because it wasn't loving operational. I guess the upside was that the repair guys were already on-site. Thank goodness they weren't on the other side when the idiot decided to ram it. (He doesn't work for us anymore.)

eee: It was the same guy who tried to drive a new forklift in through a pedestrian door because "it looked wide enough". It was plenty wide enough, it just wasn't anywhere near tall enough.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 21, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do like a zoo and put a dangerous animal in the pit.

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts
Anyone in this thread who thinks putting up notification barriers when working will stop the moronic public from entering your work zone has clearly never actually done any of that type of work.

Unless you make the barrier physically impassable (we're talking a 6'+ fence here) people will stroll right on through if they perceive the alternative route to be even the SLIGHTEST inconvenience.

The stupid should be allowed to cull themselves.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GotLag posted:

"Take off all the warning labels :downswords:" is a dumb angle to take at any time, but in this case I don't think there was any kind of warning she was going to notice short of someone walking up and physically stopping her.

Warnings are good because some of us do actually read warning labels and instructions and heed bright yellow things. :v:

But in general unless you've got something that literally prevents an action, like a huge padlock or whatever, some moron will fail to read what you've written, or will actively dismantle your careful safety precaution, so they can go ahead and be stupid and die anyway. The people who are determined to die by idiocy will do so, no matter what safety precautions are in effect, the rest just protect children and the unlucky, so safety precautions work as intended.

Plus if someone's dumb enough to injure/discomfit themselves by ignoring/not paying attention to warnings, you get to laugh at them twice as hard, so win/win.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think you mean wall?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Smackdillion posted:

Anyone in this thread who thinks putting up notification barriers when working will stop the moronic public from entering your work zone has clearly never actually done any of that type of work.

Unless you make the barrier physically impassable (we're talking a 6'+ fence here) people will stroll right on through if they perceive the alternative route to be even the SLIGHTEST inconvenience.

This is true, but it also provides great opportunities for getting to holler at people guilt free when they cross into the space.

The mixture of terror at being confronted, and shock that some dirty prole would dare yell at them is simply the best.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The OSHA thread hating on the victim of a lack of Health & Safety standards because of GBS misanthropy. How quaint.

And gently caress those sight impaired folks as well, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

How very GBS for the OSHA thread to be hating on the victim of a lack of Health & Safety standards. And gently caress those sight impaired folks as well, right?

If you're blind enough to not see an open basement access in front of you, you're blind enough to be walking with a cane, which even in this case is entirely sufficient to allow you to identify the open pit and walk around it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Smackdillion posted:

To add to this, even if you're on a construction site and there are only other trades people there, people will still pass the danger and caution tape because people are loving idiots.

On most sites, if you're working overhead and there's a way for people to walk under you, you have to put up barrier tape. The rule is usually if you cross the barrier tape when you aren't working in that area, you'll get walked off site. People still do it.

People are loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

chitoryu12 posted:

This is why OSHA requires cranes to have a signalperson guiding the operator within a certain distance of power lines.

I hear ya, but drills are not supposed to be moved with the tower raised. It requires lifting up the stabilizer legs, and they can be top heavy with the tower up.
We've all done it, including me, but its generally considered a big no no.