Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Qubee posted:

It was this basic BBC recipe. But it's a real no mess, no fuss kind. I wouldn't mind one that throws in a few more herbs and stuff to make it even better.
Thank you, basic is exactly what I am looking for right now.

edit: though I dont think I ever heard of a cartouche outside of archaeology.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Qubee posted:

Anyone got any go-to potato and leek soup recipes? Made one last night and it was really simple, but delicious. Would like something that manages to blow you connoisseurs away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thekitchn.com/recipe-jacques-pepins-rustic-leek-and-potato-soup-223883%3famp=1

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is a thermapen worth the cost jump from the thermopop?

I use a thermapen all day every day at work and would hate to wait to get temperatures.

That said, I keep having to RMA their very newest model. I bought 7 for my employees and we've sent back 4 of them so far. There's something wrong with the sleep trigger. The older models are fine and cheaper.

Also if you're only taking temps once or twice a day a thermopop is fine. I bought a thermapen for home use because I can't go back to the waiting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
When baking they say "remove the toothpick and if it's clean you're done." Does "wet but unblemished" count as clean? Should it be dry?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You are checking for the stickyness, when nothing clings to a wood tooth pick, it's done. Before that, too wet.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Totally depends on what your baking as well.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

DasNeonLicht posted:

This looks like a pro-tier recipe — thanks

It is! I really like Ottolenghi's recipes and I can recommend the book, Simple, that this recipe came from too.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I tend to cook 90% of everything in my non-sticks and only bust out my stainless steel or cast iron for steaks or crisping up prosciutto. Am I basically wasting chances for more flavor by missing the chance to form a fond?

Basically I guess I'm asking for someone to convince me to spend much more of my time cleaning my stainless steel pan.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

I tend to cook 90% of everything in my non-sticks and only bust out my stainless steel or cast iron for steaks or crisping up prosciutto. Am I basically wasting chances for more flavor by missing the chance to form a fond?

Basically I guess I'm asking for someone to convince me to spend much more of my time cleaning my stainless steel pan.

Cook in whatever you like cooking in.

My one caveat is that if your nonstick is 20 years old and peeling teflon into your food, you probably need to get new nonstick pans. But if they're the modern ceramic-coated stuff, then you're good to go.

What cast iron/steel gives you is versatility in method of cooking, not inherently adding "more flavor." A cast iron pan can go from the stovetop, to the grill, to the oven without any care. You can use it to sauté squash, bake cornbread, sear a steak, etc etc. A steel wok is better than a non-stick wok, because that's the key to stir frying - being able to move things up onto the edges of the wok to take some ingredients out of direct heat while others are down in the high-temp and oil. But if anyone tells you that they'd rather scramble eggs in cast iron than non-stick, they're either lying to you or themselves.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Or they are cooking in a literal puddle of bacon grease, that's legit, too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ever since I got a set of all clad anodized pans cheap af from TJ maxx, my cast iron has been relegated to pan pizza and searing something hard.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Weltlich posted:

Cook in whatever you like cooking in.

My one caveat is that if your nonstick is 20 years old and peeling teflon into your food, you probably need to get new nonstick pans. But if they're the modern ceramic-coated stuff, then you're good to go.

What cast iron/steel gives you is versatility in method of cooking, not inherently adding "more flavor." A cast iron pan can go from the stovetop, to the grill, to the oven without any care. You can use it to sauté squash, bake cornbread, sear a steak, etc etc. A steel wok is better than a non-stick wok, because that's the key to stir frying - being able to move things up onto the edges of the wok to take some ingredients out of direct heat while others are down in the high-temp and oil. But if anyone tells you that they'd rather scramble eggs in cast iron than non-stick, they're either lying to you or themselves.

I use cast iron or stainless for literally everything, I don't own any nonstick pans. But judging from the last time I did use nonstick, I'd rather use cast iron, because the way I scramble eggs scratches the poo poo out of Teflon.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's plenty of durable non stick options out there. Teflon hasn't been cutting edge for like 20 years now.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If there's anything keeping my nonstick pan relevant it's eggs.

I use a ceramic nonstick pan. Works like a charm.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Whenever I cut up chicken for a bbq etc, I generally rinse the meat, then let it soak in water for like 20 minutes before cutting and marinading it. Some vague idea about soaking up moisture before the cooking process expels it.

Not a single recipe ever recommends doing this, so I'd just like to know whether that's just waste of time or something that's subtly ruining the taste of the meat / is literally going to kill me at some point?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rinsing meat is pretty dumb.

soaking in salt water is pretty smart. You may want to do it for more then 20 mins.

/e- rinsing was practiced back in the ol' boomer times for meat that was near off and a bit slimy. They cooked everything to oblivion so that's why it "worked" iirc

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

soaking in salt water is pretty smart. You may want to do it for more then 20 mins.

OP didn't say anything about salt in the water.

But yeah, pork and chicken benefit from brining for an hour or two prior to cooking, especially due to how lean they are these days.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Take the water out of the equation and just rest in salt for a while and you'll get even better results.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Rinsing your chicken just sprays whatever pathogens are on it’s surface into your sink and onto the nearby countertop. It actually might kill you (more likely someone young, old, or immunocompromised).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Whenever I cut up chicken for a bbq etc, I generally rinse the meat, then let it soak in water for like 20 minutes before cutting and marinading it. Some vague idea about soaking up moisture before the cooking process expels it.

Not a single recipe ever recommends doing this, so I'd just like to know whether that's just waste of time or something that's subtly ruining the taste of the meat / is literally going to kill me at some point?

What you perceive as being moist meat is just protein that isn’t overcooked. It’s not water.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i worked with a dude who said he once washed a raw chicken with soapy dishwater lmao

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
What is black garlic for? We were given some as a gift but I don't really get it. It's a pain in the arse to chop and has such a mild flavour I can't think of anything that would allow it to come through. Almost tempted to just eat the cloves as garlic sweets.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 19, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's basically like garlic candy. I use it sort of like I use a roasted garlic, often puree'd with a little olive oil, honey and some other herbs then used as a spread for cheese and crackers.

1 bulb of black garlic, peeled
1 tsp olive oil (plus a little more if needed)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp Herbs d' Province

Just puree all that together, spread it on a cracker or crusty bread with some good cheese and enjoy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sXmARIJ5YA

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Bollock Monkey posted:

What is black garlic for? We were given some as a gift but I don't really get it. It's a pain in the arse to chop and has such a mild flavour I can't think of anything that would allow it to come through. Almost tempted to just eat the cloves as garlic sweets.

I used to saute it with mushroom ravioli because I thought the earthy flavors would complement each other but it was just OK and I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know either

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I like it as a puree/sauce with meat

Have made a black garlic vinaigrette for stir fried heavy greens

Black garlic mashed potatoes

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone here an owner of a Kenwood Major Titanium KM020? I am wondering if you have one, does the top or the "head" lock up solidly when you push it down to start kneading dough? Or can it move up and down a little bit? I've always wondered if this was by design or if there was something wrong with the latch on mine. My mom has a kenwood from the 1970s and it locks up solidly IIRC.

Had it for nearly 10 years now... :v:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Is there a reason to go with raw cast iron cookware over enameled? I do get that naked iron is a lot more :black101: but enameled seems a lot easier to clean.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If you plan to use it for camping or baking, sure. If not then nonstick is fine.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

aardwolf posted:

Is there a reason to go with raw cast iron cookware over enameled? I do get that naked iron is a lot more :black101: but enameled seems a lot easier to clean.

If you want to use metal tools - metal spatulas, whisks, tongs, etc then go with raw cast iron. Enameled is really nice and cleans easy UNTIL it gets scratched. Then it can flake or pit. If you take good care of enameled cast iron, then it is wonderful - I love mine. But never, never, never use metal cooking tools with them and never use steel wool to clean them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can definitely use metal tools on enameled cookware just be gentle

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

What dip do people usually eat with buffalo wings? I made some using Kenji’s recipe last night but the blue cheese dip recipe I found was bland and too heavy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like another side of wings and a beer with mine

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I like another side of wings and a beer with mine

Actually this. Different sauces on different wings. Maybe some fries if you really want something else on the table.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I like dry rub wings but I still like them with a lot of celery and carrot sticks, to break it up

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

amenbrotep posted:

What dip do people usually eat with buffalo wings? I made some using Kenji’s recipe last night but the blue cheese dip recipe I found was bland and too heavy.

At my local place, onion rings and beer. Celery is nice too

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Black garlic creme fraiche

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I keep it simple with some ranch.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

pile of brown posted:

I like it as a puree/sauce with meat

Have made a black garlic vinaigrette for stir fried heavy greens

Black garlic mashed potatoes

pile of brown posted:

Black garlic creme fraiche

Weltlich posted:

It's basically like garlic candy. I use it sort of like I use a roasted garlic, often puree'd with a little olive oil, honey and some other herbs then used as a spread for cheese and crackers.

Just puree all that together, spread it on a cracker or crusty bread with some good cheese and enjoy.

So pretty much I need to blend it with something and make spreads to make the most of it?

Watching him touch everything with his chicken gloves is making my skin crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
For wings I like blue cheese dressing. This recipe here is no-frills and pretty good. Most people like it chunky but I like to hit it with the hand blender to get the blue cheese in every bite.

3/4 c.......sour cream
1 1/3 c....mayo
1 t............Worcestershire
1/2 t........mustard powder
1/2 t........ground black pepper
1/2 t........garlic powder
1/2 t........kosher salt
4 oz.........blue cheese crumbles