Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It avoids having to keep track of an extra account and constantly transferring stuff around. Unexpected expenses shouldn't require negotiating. My husband will cover it and I'll wire over whatever support he needs. It's not exactly a 50:50 split but we're not looking at our finances being his or hers even though we maintain it in separate chunks.

Edit: This is what not to do.

My (38F) husband (37M) of 6 months does not want to combine our finances, but I do.

quote:

Hello! My husband and I have been together for 6 years, married 6 months. We lived together for 3 years before we got married. We opened a joint checking account while we were dating and we each contributed an equal amount to the checking account for rent, bills, food, etc. the rest of our respective paychecks we kept in our own separate accounts for our car payments, clothes, golf clubs for him, books for me, etc.

The problem is now we are married, we have a 2 month old child, and it is more complicated. We do not make the same amount of money. Let’s say I make $50,000. My husband works on commission. Last year he made $100,000. This year he will make more like $50,000-$60,000. We can’t really contribute based on how much we each make because while I make a set salary, his salary changes each month. I would prefer to combine our finances more.

Instead of contributing (for example) $1200 each to our joint account and the majority of the rest of our paychecks separate, I think it makes more sense to put the majority of our paychecks in our joint account, less a set amount, like $500, that we keep for ourselves. I don’t even want to keep any separate but it makes more sense than what we do now.

The way we do it now, we are constantly paying each other back for stuff. It is so stupid and time consuming. Like he’ll pay for the movies with his personal account for whatever reason, and then I have to Venmo him from our joint account to pay him back. Or we need something for the baby but we don’t have enough in the joint account so we each deposit half into the joint account. Or we owe $300 to the hospital for when I delivered, and we each put in $150 to the account. It’s exhausting. I balance the checkbook for our joint account so I’m constantly having to keep up with who owes who what.

Any suggestions for me? My way may not be better either. If you have a better idea please tell me! I just think it is dumb to continue the way we have been.

TL:DR My husband wants to keep our finances separate but the way we do it now is confusing and stupid. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Antivehicular posted:

It's funnier if you assume it's Arby's

they got the meats

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Joint account is really astoundingly easy ever since online banking had been a thing. There's really not much to keep track of.

You could also do venmo or paypal or whatever. One system doesn't seem that much more difficult or complicated than another. As long as what you're doing works for you its cool.

The reddit post was more about secrecy and manipulation than it was about the particulars of their internal banking system

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im learning apparently people dont just use a single joint account when they get married and now Im questioning whether or not my ledgermaster legally needs a green desk lamp or if they were lying about that too.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Joint account means you don't have to probate to get access to your spouses money when they die.

So whoever proposes joining the accounts is planning to murder the other. And if the other accepts too quickly it means they think they can murder the other first.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Dazerbeams posted:

Joint accounts seem like a pain in the rear end. Just make a document to track monthly expenses and divvy up who pays for what in a way that's balanced. If you're in a relationship, you should be able to trust that your partner will cover the utilities while you handle the groceries.

I'm talking married couples.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for snapping my fingers in my boyfriend's grandfather's face?

ITT a woman disrespected a MAN! The worst of crimes.

Well, you've just found out your boyfriend's family are sexist pigs and your boyfriend is taking their side either out of cowardice or being a misogynist himself.

Time to make him stand up for you or kick him to the curb.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(F/28) my boyfriend (M/30) said something the other day that’s bothering me.

Hi guys. This might seem really trivial but I can’t get it out my head. I’ve been with this guy for 2 months so it’s pretty early days. But we were at a McDonald’s drive thru the other night and I noticed that he didn’t say please or thank you when the woman took/gave him his order. I said to him “aren’t you going to say thank you ?” And he replied “not really. So what ? They’re just McDonald’s workers” ...

Tie this guy up with sexist grandpa and dump them both off a cliff.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 21, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dazerbeams posted:

It avoids having to keep track of an extra account and constantly transferring stuff around. Unexpected expenses shouldn't require negotiating. My husband will cover it and I'll wire over whatever support he needs. It's not exactly a 50:50 split but we're not looking at our finances being his or hers even though we maintain it in separate chunks.

Compared to just having a single joint account, using separate accounts is keeping track of an extra account and constantly transferring stuff around.

I'm not trying to proselytize, do whatever works for you. But how you arrange your finances isn't going to fix the underlying problem--either you generally trust your partner and how you split the money doesn't really matter much, or you don't trust your partner and will fight about it regardless (see: this entire loving thread)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao at finger snapping grandpa acting like an old "Take my wife, please" style comedian's mockery of a woman.

"She should read my mind and know she has to apologize" is straight up the exact thing dickheads like him say to mock women for being emotional. He's not a mob boss nobody outside his family is going to come begging for forgiveness while he's pouting alone.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It's super easy to have a joint account. My money goes in, her money goes in. We buy everything via joint credit cards and pay off the balance with the joint account. Couldn't be simpler. She gets what she wants and I get what I want. We're both frugal and don't spend tons of money anyway.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

It's super easy to have a joint account. My money goes in, her money goes in. We buy everything via joint credit cards and pay off the balance with the joint account. Couldn't be simpler. She gets what she wants and I get what I want. We're both frugal and don't spend tons of money anyway.

this part is key to this working lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Straight White Shark posted:

Compared to just having a single joint account, using separate accounts is keeping track of an extra account and constantly transferring stuff around.

I'm not trying to proselytize, do whatever works for you. But how you arrange your finances isn't going to fix the underlying problem--either you generally trust your partner and how you split the money doesn't really matter much, or you don't trust your partner and will fight about it regardless (see: this entire loving thread)

If you have a joint account, how is keeping a single account easier for tracking spending? I don't know what the gently caress my husband spends money on everyday nor care, I don't want to sit down every day and reconcile a joint account when I check my bank statements everyday and have a pretty good idea of what stupid poo poo I personally spent money on.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Haifisch posted:

AITA if I ate a sliver of my roommate's donut in the middle of the night, feel the shame of my actions, and buy 2 donuts in return and leave a note acknowledging my rear end in a top hat-iness?

YTA. Don't eat other people's deserts.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not being able to fulfill my bridesmaid duties due to anxiety?

Here's the thing. This happened a couple of years ago, but it's always weighed on me heavily and I want to know who's the rear end in a top hat in this situation.

A couple of years ago my cousin asked me to be her bridesmaid. I agreed but felt it was just for show since she barely talked to me and it was super awkward at the bachelorette party and bridal shower, like she barely acknowledged me. One day we went for a drive and she told me how two girls backed out of her bridal party and she couldn't bear if one more person did. She knew I had bad anxiety and asked me on the spot to tell her if I could do it or not. Of course I felt like how could I let her down so I said yes I would do it.

Months go by and the wedding is getting closer and my anxiety is getting worse and worse. I can barely leave the house and my medication isn't working like it used to. I know the wedding is approaching and is in a big church which causes me more anxiety. Like I was literally making myself sick over this. Could barely go to work or anything.

Finally it's about the time for the wedding and I break down crying to my aunt (her mother) who I tell that I don't think I can do it but don't want to let everyone down. My family isn't very understanding of mental health. My aunt says don't worry, try to make it, do some practice at the church and if you can't make it no problem we will get you a new dress and you can just do the reception. I felt a bit better but was still struggling, I wanted to be able to do this. My aunt drives me to the church, which was locked and I walked around a bit, very shaky, very anxious and she was getting frustrated and so I acted like I was ok.

The day of the practice comes the day before the wedding and I'm throwing up and feeling so sick due to my anxiety, I've barely been sleeping. I break down to my family and told them I don't think I can do it. My aunt calls me and said in a very serious tone " I talked to your cousin and we both feel like you need to be there. So get ready". At this point I'm breaking down. My cousin shows up at my place and I'm crying my eyes out and she's like cmon lets go, and I try to explain but she just looks at me with disgust and leaves. At this point my grandmother calls me and yells, your aunt called and said no wedding no reception. That broke me, my aunt broke her word and I felt so lost. So anxious. It didn't help that my boyfriend was away at work, so I had no one. I called a friend who drove me to my boyfriends house and his mom was amazing. She made me drinks, took me swimming and I tried to stay away from social media for my cousins wedding.

I'm a lot better mentally. Got new medication and had therapy!

Yes, you're the rear end in a top hat. She gave you an out and you didn't take it. Manage your poo poo or don't commit to doing things for other people.

Kuros posted:

Bolded the lol part. OP should be telling those assholes, "It's my house! I can tell people what they can and can't bring into my house!"

LOL what if ninjas attack during Thanksgiving dinner? Won't you be wishing there was a good guy with a gun to save you?

It you conceal carry, it should be concealed and nobody should know. The fact that OP knows means this guy is a yahoo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

Lol seriously? Control your schedule. Everything else in your post was about not being in control of your schedule but still rashly committing to things an adult wouldn't commit to because they couldn't actually do that......and rather just say "I might be able to, I don't know yet." A commitment is a commitment. This isn't a difficult concept unless you are trying to change the definition of the actual word.

Agreed. Flakey people suck.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for snapping my fingers in my boyfriend's grandfather's face?

I was meeting my boyfriend's father's family for the first time last Sunday. He warned me ahead of time that the older men were sexist and likely to make dumb jokes, especially his grandfather, who is in his 60s and the patriarch. There was a match so they were coming to my place to watch.

We cooked and bought drinks to cover everyone and at one point I finished my beer and offered to refill other people's. A few people asked if I'd get them another drink so I collected empty glasses/bottles and then I heard clicking. I looked around to see where it was coming from and the grandfather was snapping his fingers.

I walked over to him, he held out his empty glass, which had contained his third or fourth gin & tonic, so he was clearly drunk, and I took the glass off him. I went to set the glasses down on the kitchen counter and opened the fridge to start on refills when I heard the grandfather snapping again. He was sort of smiling the first time but this time he was full on smirking.

I took his drink and went over to him. He held out a hand to take it, but instead I used my free hand to snap my fingers in his face. He looked shocked, so I said "oh I'm sorry. Is this offending you? Is this rude? Is this something you shouldn't do to a person when you're in their home?" and I was using the snapping like punctuation. I gave him his drink and went into the kitchen to grab the rest.

I went back out to the main room and the women there and the younger people (boyfriend's stepmum, siblings and cousins) all seemed to be either smiling or just generally looking approving, while the rest of the men were glaring at me. I handed out the remaining drinks and sat through a very tense end of the match.

We'd had plans for after the game, but my actions appeared to have put a damper on things because they left instead. The women hugged me before they left and the men filed out in silence. My boyfriend went with them to see his grandfather into a cab. When he came back he just helped me do the dishes and we didn't say/do anything to acknowledge what happened.

Today I got coffee with a cousin on his dad's side of the family that didn't make it to the game. He said that his brother had told him what I did, and that they both found it funny, but the other men did not. Not only is the grandfather expecting an apology (although he won't say so to my face because "he doesn't feel he should have to") but all the older men who were unhappy with my actions are also expecting apologies for disrespecting him in front of them.

I told my boyfriend that I'm not apologizing, and if he's waiting on me to say sorry, he'll be waiting a long time. My boyfriend has said that they are his family, they're important to him, and that I've made things difficult as in the last few days whenever he's spoken to his grandfather he gets told to break up with me. I'm not budging on this.

AITA?

This lady owns.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for disinviting my brother in law from thanksgiving because he conceal carries?

I will never feel totally comfortable with him having a gun in my home.

She couldn't just ask him to leave it in the car or something?

Motronic posted:

I [19F] was just informed of my boyfriend's [19M] multiple personalities. Please help.ts.

Did this get killed off? I was enjoying the nonsense of it all.

When someone has multiple personalities, do the personalities know about each other? She said he had something set up to monitor the switches, WTF?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dazerbeams posted:

Joint accounts seem like a pain in the rear end. Just make a document to track monthly expenses and divvy up who pays for what in a way that's balanced. If you're in a relationship, you should be able to trust that your partner will cover the utilities while you handle the groceries.

The big advantage of a joint account that both partners contribute to, is that your creditors only ever see that account. If anything goes weird or hosed up, the individuals in the relationship have a degree of separation.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

dudeness posted:

Joint account means you don't have to probate to get access to your spouses money when they die.

you can designate someone as the beneficiary of your account, speeding the spousal murder process

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

My husband and I have our own separate accounts and a joint account together, but it's really not complicated because we don't do stupid poo poo like "repaying" each other when one of us buys a meal from their personal account. Too many married couples play tit for tat when it comes to money and it often leads to resentment and then going on r/relationships to complain about it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Serene Dragon posted:

Too many married couples play tit for tat when it comes to money and it often leads to resentment and then going on r/relationships to complain about it.

Yeah, that is hosed up. We generally take turns paying for meals and assorted other minor expenses, but it also leaves room for treats where it is generally one of us would pay for something and the other does it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mooseykins posted:

She couldn't just ask him to leave it in the car or something?

I see you're not familiar with the ARE RIGHTS :freep: crowd.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they'd show up at a total stranger's front door with a loaded firearm, demanding to be let in lest you violate their absolute right to carry firearms when and wherever they want regardless of the wishes of the property owner.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Geoj posted:

I see you're not familiar with the ARE RIGHTS :freep: crowd.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they'd show up at a total stranger's front door with a loaded firearm, demanding to be let in lest you violate their absolute right to carry when and where they want regardless of the wishes of the property owner.

I am not driving i am travelling!

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
how you treat retail and service workers is who you really are. like blacking out!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

how you treat retail and service workers is who you really are. like blacking out!

Those both inform the person's character at the very least

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

I am not driving i am travelling!

I am here to request a remedy at the behest of the guarantor of the individual of the person that is StupidSexyVaultGuy

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

teen witch posted:

white people hating on white people because they’re not the right white is never not funny.

yeah what the germans did in eastern europe was a laugh riot

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

The Clowner posted:

Those both inform the person's character at the very least

agreed!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

good, glad we could agree

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mooseykins posted:

Did this get killed off? I was enjoying the nonsense of it all.

When someone has multiple personalities, do the personalities know about each other? She said he had something set up to monitor the switches, WTF?

It got removed. Maybe by one of the other personalities?! :tinfoil:

But seriously, it sounded like the bf saw the movie Split for the first time. I'm pretty sure that movie had a character 'monitoring' the switches.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Mooseykins posted:

Up for debate, as MPD pretty much doesn’t exist. What few cases there have been didn’t just manifest calmly one day at 19, they were in people who had been severely abused their entire lives and had a giant host of other diagnoses which made them incredibly unreliable sources at best.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

The Clowner posted:

good, glad we could agree

me too friend :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

Up for debate, as MPD pretty much doesn’t exist. What few cases there have been didn’t just manifest calmly one day at 19, they were in people who had been severely abused their entire lives and had a giant host of other diagnoses which made them incredibly unreliable sources at best.

It didn't exist as a term/concept until the 1950s when one of those "Ripleys Believe it or Not" type shows featured a woman who claimed to have 8 separate distinct personalities.

70 years later its one of those "oh yeah you hear about it all the time its probably true" things.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
for my first marriage we only had joint banking accounts. money was never an issue, we didn't fight about it and neither of us ever made any wildly inappropriate purchases that put us both at risk of things like paying rent

what was a problem, though, is that after 8 years we got divorced. at which point we learned that separating our finances involved completely closing out joint accounts and starting from square one signing up for new accounts.

almost a decade of good banking history was just, like, gone. this hosed up things like background checks for renting new apartments and the like. also our otherwise awesome little bank had discontinued their "free checking" program meaning when i opened a new account suddenly i had monthly finance charges based on how much money i was able to keep in checking and savings which had never been an issue before. and since we separated rather suddenly when she hopped in a car and drove halfway across the country never to be seen again, even closing the account itself was a mess of paperwork since she decided to move to a state where our bank didn't have offices so it wasn't like we could go in together to both sign off on emptying and closing the account.

i married another person and one of the things we talked about was keeping separate accounts. again, we don't fight over money, that's not the point. the point is that we both have financial history and access to a level of security that will survive if we ever reach a point where our relationship is no longer viable (which, i hope, never happens). we do maintain a third account that has both our names on it as equal owners should something terrible happen like one of us dies suddenly or develops dementia or otherwise is unable to care for ourselves or the other person. but it's an account that has no bills or expenses attached to it and exists solely as a safety net for the worst possible cases.

i also recognize that we're only even able to do that because we are at a level of income that the majority of americans are unlikely to reach so i'm not here to look down on people who don't have the money or money-management skills to make that happen. we're hugely lucky. but i would encourage anyone getting married to keep their own bank accounts and, if at all possible, open up a small account at a credit union somewhere that has both people's names on it

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

LadyPictureShow posted:

It got removed. Maybe by one of the other personalities?! :tinfoil:

But seriously, it sounded like the bf saw the movie Split for the first time. I'm pretty sure that movie had a character 'monitoring' the switches.

The bullshit in that post was amazing. It struck me as her boyfriend just making it up for some weird thing like denial of responsibility or something, or just attention.

"Oh yeah, it wasn't me that treated you like poo poo/cheated on you/asked for anal/ate your food. it was my other personality. So totally not my fault."

Assuming it was true and not just a made up post.

Not seen that movie, will look into it.

AmiYumi posted:

It doesn't actually exist? I never knew that, i thought it was an actualy known, albeit rare, thing. I did understand that it came from deeply disturbed or traumatized individuals with a fair history of mental illness and not something that manifested overnight. So is it not like actual numerous personalities, but just one personality with very sporadic different traits, somewhat like bipolar disorder?

I'll have to read more into it, i love psychology.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Taima posted:

I don't know, one single class per semester at a real college? And then they sit on the phone crying saying how hard it is? It could be a trustafarian but drat that's just sad even for someone trying to coast.

The only thing I can say about this is that I wish I had had enough money to take 1 class per semester and take 8 years to graduate.

Sounds pretty great, and sounds like a reliable roommate. If you want to get involved maybe ask why, but don’t look a gift roommate paying $800/month on time in the mouth, my dude.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it is said that if that if a guy treats a waitress like poo poo, it's a preview of how he'll treat his GF in six months.

"Don't look at how they treat you, look at how they treat the staff" is pretty much the first rule of getting a read on a date. It's an old one, my mother said her grandmother told it to her. Also works well for job interviews, investment pitches, judging politicians, and any other situation where someone might be trying to put up a facade.

And somehow, despite it being so obvious and something everybody knows, a lot of people gently caress it up. One would think that if you know your date's looking at how you treat other people, you wouldn't treat them like crap while on the date.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My husband and I have a joint account at the sperm bank. It works for us.

Every month we go to the bank and whip out our microscopes in the refrigerated safety deposit box room to ensure that our deposits are being handled adequately. I know this is a bit much, but my husband insists even though our deposits are SIPC insured (Semen Investors Protection Corporation, the ejaculate analogue to the FDIC aka Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation).

I keep telling my husband that our deposit at the sperm bank isn't insured and that interest accumulation would be a confusing and bad thing, but he insists because he doesn't trust sperm banks.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sperm banks only need to keep 10% of the total sperm transaction value on hand at any time. Not trusting them is smart, you never know when there could be a run on it.

Always save some in a sock under the bed.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

The only thing I can say about this is that I wish I had had enough money to take 1 class per semester and take 8 years to graduate.

Sounds pretty great, and sounds like a reliable roommate. If you want to get involved maybe ask why, but don’t look a gift roommate paying $800/month on time in the mouth, my dude.

Forgive me if I don't take financial advice from some dunce that would love to attend 1 class per semester. Grow up. Someone who can barely function is not a reliable roommate. When I was in college, a roommate defaulting on their rent would have absolutely ruined me.

Luckily, I actually screened my roommates, so it worked out, but go ahead and depend on the money from Lucy Noschool if you want. Real life is a lot harder than this, dude. I really can't roll my eyes hard enough at this dumb bullshit.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Taima posted:

Forgive me if I don't take financial advice from some dunce that would love to attend 1 class per semester. Grow up. Someone who can barely function is not a reliable roommate. When I was in college, a roommate defaulting on their rent would have absolutely ruined me.

Luckily, I actually screened my roommates, so it worked out, but go ahead and depend on the money from Lucy Noschool if you want. Real life is a lot harder than this, dude. I really can't roll my eyes hard enough at this dumb bullshit.

What the gently caress are you on about. Saying it would be nice to be well off enough to cruise through your degree and appreciate what you're learning isn't some radical idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Taima posted:

Wealthy kids go to college too.