Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mooseykins posted:

It doesn't actually exist? I never knew that, i thought it was an actualy known, albeit rare, thing. I did understand that it came from deeply disturbed or traumatized individuals with a fair history of mental illness and not something that manifested overnight. So is it not like actual numerous personalities, but just one personality with very sporadic different traits, somewhat like bipolar disorder?

I'll have to read more into it, i love psychology.

Like a lot of things to do with pop culture psychology it caught on because it's a fun concept to write stories about rather than any kind of genuine evidence or merit. The popular perception is more Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde than any real life example.

Thing is about psychology is that within a century or less we've basically gone from leeches and bloodletting to maybe methods that kind of work, hopefully, and have to completely rewrite the textbooks regularly with what actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!

Taima posted:

Forgive me if I don't take financial advice from some dunce that would love to attend 1 class per semester. Grow up. Someone who can barely function is not a reliable roommate. When I was in college, a roommate defaulting on their rent would have absolutely ruined me.

Luckily, I actually screened my roommates, so it worked out, but go ahead and depend on the money from Lucy Noschool if you want. Real life is a lot harder than this, dude. I really can't roll my eyes hard enough at this dumb bullshit.

congrats on being a fakeass unpaid landlord

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

Sperm banks only need to keep 10% of the total sperm transaction value on hand at any time. Not trusting them is smart, you never know when there could be a run on it.

Always save some in a sock under the bed.

You're on the right tack. The Fed loosens or tightens the leash on the economy by mandating minimum cash reserves in proportion to client deposits at sperm banks.

Say the standard sperm bank reserve deposit minimum is 20%. Little Stevie, opening his first account with his local Spank of America branch, establishes a checking account under the loving guidance of his parents. He deposits 1,000 milliliters from his summer job. The bank puts 20% of that deposit into their reserves, and then turns around and lends 800ml to someone buying a car.

The dealership who sold the car turns around and deposits the 800ml proceeds of that sale into Chafed Bank, who then lends out 640ml. And so on.

This is called the cum multiplier effect. Like many things in economics, nobody knows how it works. And anyone smart enough to understand it never questions where all this free cum is coming from.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

As long as the cum never stops why would you worry.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dazerbeams posted:

Edit: This is what not to do.

My (38F) husband (37M) of 6 months does not want to combine our finances, but I do.

That's what my wife and I do and it works great. We dump all of our money into a single account and take equal monthly allowances into our own accounts for whatever stupid poo poo we want that isn't a "house" purchase. Marriage is a partnership, you shouldn't be hoarding your gains from a promotion or windfall or whatever, and you shouldn't be punishing your spouse if "normal" financial setbacks occur. A couple of times we reduced the allowance (I think we briefly had overlapping car payments) to avoid punishing the house account, and then went back to normal after a while. If one of us lost our job we'd probably drastically reduce the allowance but I view that as a lot better outcome than wrecking our household happiness if I can go buy horses or bitcoins while she's stuck with nothing but groceries and gas.

The vast bulk of the couples we know who do fully separated accounts at some point have whined to me about how it was their turn to pay at a nice dinner and then the spouse gets off cheap at the bar, or the spouse kinda tends to order that extra side of onion rings when it's not their turn to pay. And that's to say nothing of the couples who are straight up financial disasters but would likely benefit from a very controlled "you may spend this" account while the life expenses are dealt with.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

My partner and I do separate accounts and it works fine. She earns a lot more than me so pays most of the bills and I do most of the chores. It's not a hard thing to work out between you, you just need to talk.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Zachack posted:

That's what my wife and I do and it works great. We dump all of our money into a single account and take equal monthly allowances into our own accounts for whatever stupid poo poo we want that isn't a "house" purchase. Marriage is a partnership, you shouldn't be hoarding your gains from a promotion or windfall or whatever, and you shouldn't be punishing your spouse if "normal" financial setbacks occur. A couple of times we reduced the allowance (I think we briefly had overlapping car payments) to avoid punishing the house account, and then went back to normal after a while. If one of us lost our job we'd probably drastically reduce the allowance but I view that as a lot better outcome than wrecking our household happiness if I can go buy horses or bitcoins while she's stuck with nothing but groceries and gas.

Putting each party on an "allowance" sounds much more mature. Did you add each other on your credit cards first to keep everything fair?

quote:

The vast bulk of the couples we know who do fully separated accounts at some point have whined to me about how it was their turn to pay at a nice dinner and then the spouse gets off cheap at the bar, or the spouse kinda tends to order that extra side of onion rings when it's not their turn to pay. And that's to say nothing of the couples who are straight up financial disasters but would likely benefit from a very controlled "you may spend this" account while the life expenses are dealt with.

Congrats on knowing people in bad relationships.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking the teacher to change her "teaching style" for my daughter?

My daughter just started first grade. She knows how to read, and is able to read silently to herself. She'll read out loud if you ask her to, but it's not something she needs to do.

My daughter came home from school one day very angry with me, demanding to know why I had told her teacher that she couldn't read. I talked to the teacher and it turned out that because it was uncommon for new first graders to read silently, the teacher assumed that my daughter was faking. The teacher told my daughter that I had asked the teacher to check in with her and help her with her reading because I was concerned that she was having trouble. The teacher didn't even ask my daughter to read out loud to confirm that she was having difficulty, she just assumed.

I asked the teacher why she lied about me being worried, and she explained that it's something she likes to do because kids find it more motivating if they know their parents are involved in the issue and it's not just the teacher. That makes sense, but it only makes sense to do that if the parents and teacher have actually talked about the problem. I don't think the teacher should be pretending they spoke to the parents and lying to the kid.

The teacher apologized about the mistake of thinking my daughter couldn't read and promised to confirm problems in the future. I'm not that upset because it was a mistake and she apologized, but she still seemed pretty adamant that it was fine to lie to a kid and pretend that the teacher and parents had discussed the issue. I asked the teacher to only talk about things that actually happened, instead of making up stories about me saying things I didn't say. At least this time we were able to sort this out pretty quickly, but I don't like the idea of the teacher telling my kid that I said things that I might seriously object to.

The teacher asked, "you want me to change my teaching style just for (daughter)?" I said, "I really don't think you should do this at all, but if nobody else has complained, then I guess it is just for (daughter)."

AITA for asking a teacher to act differently just for my kid and criticizing her teaching method? I know teachers have a tough job and I normally wouldn't be so pushy, but I really had a problem with this.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

NTA, just in a minority that doesn't keep their young child's demons at bay with an interlocking web of lies and salt circles.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (25f) boyfriend (27m) made me feel like absolute crap about my appearance, and then when I asked why he's with me then, he said "babe it isn't all about looks" and seemed offended.

Okay reddit PLEASE HELP. I've been dating this guy for almost two years, and honestly I love him. I really do. Things seem amazing, and he feels the same about me. I've never felt so happy in my life.

I have low self esteem, low self worth, all that good stuff. I know I'm no model, I'm average at best when I try really hard. I don't let this cause issues in my relationship though. I don't start crap if I see him look at a girl or anything. My boyfriend initiated our first meet, he showed interest in me before I ever did him. I figured he must like me right? So, we dated obviously and that was that.

But tonight something happened that absolutely crushed me and I don't know how to feel.

We were making plans for the weekend, and I brought up a few ideas that kept getting shot down. We'd planned to hang out with his brother and a few friends, nothing special.

I jokingly said "Baby, all of your ideas would be at night... Is there something I don't know?" and was laughing, but he wasn't. He did a "heh heh" laugh and got serious so I started questioning him about it and the truth came out.

He said not to get offended and when I got immediately defensive, he almost wouldn't tell me, but finally he said "I'm not as attractive as his exes" and he'd rather them (his brother and friends?) not see me in the daylight because they might compare me and "hurt my feelings".

I can't lie. I started crying. Right there. Not only am I painfully aware of my physical faults, I'm also on my period right now. Bad. Bad. Bad combo.

He was ready to be fine with the conversion and he kept apologizing and hugging me but I needed him to tell me what exactly he meant. He waited until I stopped crying, and he made me promise I wouldn't cry again or he wouldn't keep talking about it because he feels bad.

He basically told me my skin in the natural daylight doesn't look great. He said I have more wrinkles than his exes, it makes me look older, but they all had smooth skin and no wrinkles. and my teeth don't look that great in the light. He swears these things don't bother him, but that his family and friends suck and would hurt my feelings and not care, and he'd rather save me from that pain.......

I do have smile lines next to my mouth, from... smiling. It's in my genes. I have some forehead wrinkles, but not that many :( that's literally it. And my teeth yeah, aren't great. But I didn't know it was that big of a deal. Ugh. I don't know. Part of me worries all this crying and feeling bad is coming from my self esteem issues so I don't know if I'm being overdramatic or what? :(

Finally, at the end I said "... Why are you with me?" because he's just pointing out all these bad things I didn't know he even noticed. He seemed offended, and said he loves everything about me and "babe it isn't all about looks, there's so much more to a relationship".

I basically ended the conversation there, and now... Here I am. Crying in the bathtub, begging for some advice. I don't even want to do anything this weekend at all now. Help? :( is it my period + lack of self esteem making me feel this way... Or was this all around a crappy thing to have happen? Ugh.

Im obsessing over every little thing now. I can't stop looking at my face. I feel absolutely disgusting. I looked at some of his exes on fb and really have no idea why he's with me period. I feel like HE'S embarrassed and doesn't want anyone seeing me. Ughughughhhhhhh

Tl;dr; boyfriend said he wanted to save me from his brother and friends hurting my feelings because I'm less attractive than his exes. I feel like crap, and he's offended I asked why he's even with me. I feel like he's embarrassed and isn't really worried about his family and friends offending me. I'm sad :(

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (25f) boyfriend (27m) made me feel like absolute crap about my appearance, and then when I asked why he's with me then, he said "babe it isn't all about looks" and seemed offended.

:sever:

You ain't un-ringing that bell, and a guy who isn't past that phase at 27 is a piece of poo poo anyway.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

cumshitter posted:

My husband and I have a joint account at the sperm bank. It works for us.

Every month we go to the bank and whip out our microscopes in the refrigerated safety deposit box room to ensure that our deposits are being handled adequately. I know this is a bit much, but my husband insists even though our deposits are SIPC insured (Semen Investors Protection Corporation, the ejaculate analogue to the FDIC aka Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation).

I keep telling my husband that our deposit at the sperm bank isn't insured and that interest accumulation would be a confusing and bad thing, but he insists because he doesn't trust sperm banks.

It sounds like your husband needs to get into Buttcoin to be his own sperm bank

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

We have a shared account and personal accounts for frivolous spending.

So I transfer X000.00 every month or so and then use my personal to pay off my anime related vices credit card and phone bills.

Why not just send X000.00 to the other person's account instead of a third, joint account?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

what the poo poo, I never read out loud, not ever. Nobody ever assumed I couldn't loving read.

Hey, this is uncommon, better assume some poo poo and lie to a kid!

I looked on the post (which has been deleted for "obviously not being an rear end in a top hat", wtf) and there's a NAH from a teacher because "all teachers are told to lie to kids like this" (WTF?) and a YTA because TEACHERS HAVE IT HARD YOU'RE SO ENTITLED.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 21, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taima posted:

Forgive me if I don't take financial advice from some dunce that would love to attend 1 class per semester. Grow up. Someone who can barely function is not a reliable roommate. When I was in college, a roommate defaulting on their rent would have absolutely ruined me.

Luckily, I actually screened my roommates, so it worked out, but go ahead and depend on the money from Lucy Noschool if you want. Real life is a lot harder than this, dude. I really can't roll my eyes hard enough at this dumb bullshit.

If their mom is paying all of the bills anyway and is totally fine with them taking 1 class per semester, then that implies that they're less likely to default on rent than the average college room mate.

And I'm not sure why you're so pissed off at someone for wanting to take courses casually, are you okay?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

:aaaaa:

Wow. What a piece of poo poo!

quote:

He said "I'm not as attractive as his exes" and he'd rather them not see me in the daylight.

Not see her in daylight? Were all these plans in loving darkness or something? You can still see fine lines and wrinkles under artificial light, what the hell?

quote:

He basically told me my skin in the natural daylight doesn't look great. He said I have more wrinkles than his exes, it makes me look older, but they all had smooth skin and no wrinkles. and my teeth don't look that great in the light. He swears these things don't bother him, but that his family and friends suck and would hurt my feelings and not care, and he'd rather save me from that pain.......

He's ashamed of her appearance. He's worried of being judged himself based on her physical appearance. There's no coming back from that. She needs to gently caress him off and find someone else.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lazyhound posted:

from r/LegalAdviceUK:

Lol here comes a new wave of people who will never be able to donate blood or organs.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Okay reddit PLEASE HELP. I've been dating this guy for almost two years, and honestly I love him. I really do. Things seem amazing, and he feels the same about me. I've never felt so happy in my life.

I have low self esteem, low self worth, all that good stuff. I know I'm no model, I'm average at best when I try really hard. I don't let this cause issues in my relationship though. I don't start crap if I see him look at a girl or anything. My boyfriend initiated our first meet, he showed interest in me before I ever did him. I figured he must like me right? So, we dated obviously and that was that.

But tonight something happened that absolutely crushed me and I don't know how to feel.

We were making plans for the weekend, and I brought up a few ideas that kept getting shot down. We'd planned to hang out with his brother and a few friends, nothing special.

I jokingly said "Baby, all of your ideas would be at night... Is there something I don't know?" and was laughing, but he wasn't. He did a "heh heh" laugh and got serious so I started questioning him about it and the truth came out.

He said not to get offended and when I got immediately defensive, he almost wouldn't tell me, but finally he said "I'm not as attractive as his exes" and he'd rather them (his brother and friends?) not see me in the daylight because they might compare me and "hurt my feelings".

I can't lie. I started crying. Right there. Not only am I painfully aware of my physical faults, I'm also on my period right now. Bad. Bad. Bad combo.

He was ready to be fine with the conversion and he kept apologizing and hugging me but I needed him to tell me what exactly he meant. He waited until I stopped crying, and he made me promise I wouldn't cry again or he wouldn't keep talking about it because he feels bad.

I do have smile lines next to my mouth, from... smiling. It's in my genes. I have some forehead wrinkles, but not that many :( that's literally it. And my teeth yeah, aren't great. But I didn't know it was that big of a deal. Ugh. I don't know. Part of me worries all this crying and feeling bad is coming from my self esteem issues so I don't know if I'm being overdramatic or what? :(

Finally, at the end I said "... Why are you with me?" because he's just pointing out all these bad things I didn't know he even noticed. He seemed offended, and said he loves everything about me and "babe it isn't all about looks, there's so much more to a relationship".

I basically ended the conversation there, and now... Here I am. Crying in the bathtub, begging for some advice. I don't even want to do anything this weekend at all now. Help? :( is it my period + lack of self esteem making me feel this way... Or was this all around a crappy thing to have happen? Ugh.

Im obsessing over every little thing now. I can't stop looking at my face. I feel absolutely disgusting. I looked at some of his exes on fb and really have no idea why he's with me period. I feel like HE'S embarrassed and doesn't want anyone seeing me. Ughughughhhhhhh

Tl;dr; boyfriend said he wanted to save me from his brother and friends hurting my feelings because I'm less attractive than his exes. I feel like crap, and he's offended I asked why he's even with me. I feel like he's embarrassed and isn't really worried about his family and friends offending me. I'm sad :(

So this is abuse, right? I mean just actual, calculated abuse. It reads like some thetan level PUA poo poo.

"Of course I love you, baby, but you know what you look like. We can't have you parading around normal people, think how disgusted they will be with you. Trust me, it's for your own good."

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
abuse is a strong word

he's just a oval office and she's weak for staying with him clearly

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Not abusive but 500% a loving monster.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
She needs to go and check his browser history for redpill and poo poo like that. It's straight out of their playbook.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Nastyman posted:

So this is abuse, right? I mean just actual, calculated abuse. It reads like some thetan level PUA poo poo.

It sounds like some kind of emotional abuse or manipulation. You're absolutely right about the pickup artist thing, it does sound very much like their creepy tactics.

Collapsing Farts posted:

he's just a oval office and she's weak for staying with him clearly

It's weird that they've been together for 2 years before this came up. Surely she would've had met his friends and family in that time.

Also, what does all this red pill/blue pill stuff mean?

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 21, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AITA taking ice cream from a kid?

quote:

Hello. I live in an apartment with my roommate Jess. I also have an expensive ice cream habit.

She often has family over, most often her mom. Her mom really gets on my nerves. She's hyper religious and makes snarky comments about my tattoos and piercings whenever she's over. I usually just blank her and pretend she's not there and she gets bored until next time.

Today her mom was over with some kid. Not sure how he's related to her and don't really care. I was in my room avoiding them because they were being loud for most of the afternoon but eventually I kinda wanted to have some of my ice cream.

Went out there and this woman was fixing a bowl of my (expensive) ice cream!!! I went out there and asked her what the hell she was doing and she said she said "getting a bowl of ice cream for Jacob" like it wasn't a rhetorical question, handing it to the kid in the process. I said absolutely not, it's mine. She said she didn't know but just to let Jacob have this bowl. I said NO and took it off the kid. Kid started crying and the mom started yelling at me but I cut her off and told her that if I came out there and saw her stealing my food again that I would throw them both out myself. Went back in my room to enjoy my ice cream.

Roommate was furious saying that I made kid cry and they had to leave early. I said I didn't care and to control her guests when they come over, or better yet not have her insufferable mother over in general. We're currently nto talking. Was I really being that unreasonable?

i took the VERY EXPENSIVE ice cream from the child and when he started crying I calmly turned to my room mate and said "please control your guests"

mom's also an idiot who has probably never had a room mate who wasn't her husband

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

QuarkJets posted:

i took the VERY EXPENSIVE ice cream from the child and when he started crying I calmly turned to my room mate and said "please control your guests"

I bet it tasted loving delicious.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Taima posted:

😂

Tell me again how hard Real Life is, oh knower of wisdom.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mooseykins posted:

Also, what does all this red pill/blue pill stuff mean?

It's just different flavours of internet misogyny.

Are you one of the sheep who doesn't see the truth, or are you enlightened and know that all women are filthy whores? No? Guess you have some growing up to do, then.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

The only thing I can say about this is that I wish I had had enough money to take 1 class per semester and take 8 years to graduate.

Wouldn’t it take 16 years at that rate?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Three Olives posted:

Not to be all "child-free" but it is amazing how many ways parents want to dump the burdens on having a child upon society. Brats running around grocery stores, screaming at restaurants and then making comments to childless 30 something couples that manage to be both jealous of our lifestyles yet still condescending about the fact that we aren't raising children.

My god, your child does not need to go to the grocery store to cause problems for everyone else, they have no autonomy.

That's not a case of "children bad" though, but "parents bad". But of course the joke then is these people clearly SHOULD have stayed child free since they're loving terrible at having children.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Wouldn’t it take 16 years at that rate?

Associate's degree, or one class each during fall, spring, winter, and fall semesters for a bachelor's?

E: That's still only 48 credits out of 120, or 96 if it's all 4 semesters. OP was probably exaggerating, and she takes a couple classes but less than a full load.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
they need to rename /aita to /am I technically in the right, in a very “not touching you!” sort of way. lmao. taking ice cream from a little kid is an rear end in a top hat move even if you didn’t like give permission

very expensive ice cream! you must protect the at maximum 2.00 that a couple scoops represent

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AmiYumi posted:

Up for debate, as MPD pretty much doesn’t exist. What few cases there have been didn’t just manifest calmly one day at 19, they were in people who had been severely abused their entire lives and had a giant host of other diagnoses which made them incredibly unreliable sources at best.

Mooseykins posted:

It doesn't actually exist? I never knew that, i thought it was an actualy known, albeit rare, thing. I did understand that it came from deeply disturbed or traumatized individuals with a fair history of mental illness and not something that manifested overnight. So is it not like actual numerous personalities, but just one personality with very sporadic different traits, somewhat like bipolar disorder?

Actually, it does exist. It's called DID, disassociative identity disorder:

quote:

DID has been officially recognized as a mental disorder since its inclusion in the 1980 release of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-III).

The diagnosis of DID continues to remain controversial among mental health professionals as understanding of the illness develops, but there is no question that the symptoms are real and people do experience them.

It's a pretty controversial diagnosis though. Some professionals claim that DID-related behavior is more often than not symptomatic of an underlying problem rather than a mental illness endpoint:

quote:

In truth, if MPD or DID even exists, it is amazingly rare.  In fact, within my professional network, not a single competent therapist I know of has ever seen a legitimate case of DID.  Thus never, in my experience, among dozens of clinicians who have provided treatment to literally thousands of clients spanning decades of clinical practice has a single person ever been identified as a bona fide DID sufferer.

Even the famous case of "Sybil," whose bizarre odyssey through the labyrinth of "MPD" sold millions of books and led to an Emmy winning TV miniseries, has been exposed as a total hoax and a complete fraud....

Hence, the danger for the consumer is that if a therapist unquestioningly buys into the label, the therapist will be likely to find, or worse yet, manufacture, evidence that supports the diagnosis.

So the issue is not whether it's real, but how widespread and how misdiagnosed it is in practice.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
If I was taking only one at a time I'd do summer classes and maybe even those intensive 3 week courses over the winter break. gently caress it, ain't got anything else to do.

A friend of mine from home did basically that, he moved to where we ended up going to college and never left. He did undergrad, summer classes, got his masters in an accelerated program that included summers... then just moved into a job in the department he studied under. Never gave up the college lifestyle fully, he doesn't like rent/own a grown up apartment or house. Lives in a college apartment with college/grad students, parties with students.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

they need to rename /aita to /am I technically in the right, in a very “not touching you!” sort of way. lmao. taking ice cream from a little kid is an rear end in a top hat move even if you didn’t like give permission

very expensive ice cream! you must protect the at maximum 2.00 that a couple scoops represent

there was a good meta post about this yesterday in the subreddit. i kinda doubt anything will change, but i'm hopeful? it was basically a long post that said "stop being loving rules lawyers, if you can help someone in your life through a small amount of effort you will be considered the rear end in a top hat IRL by everyone, even if idiots on this site say you aren't TECHNICALLY RESPONSIBLE"

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
WIBTA for asking my fiancé to take his cat to the pound

quote:

Throwaway, for obvious reasons, this is very specific.

So my fiancé (28m) and I (23f) have been together for a little bit, but don’t live together. Lets call him J. So J has a cat named Spout, whom he cares for very much. His cat got him through some really tough times (he went through a painful divorce and the marriage wasn’t great before that). He fought for Spout during the divorce, and got her. Here’s the problem, I have a son (my fiancé will be adopting), and Spout and him do NOT get along. He’s very young (9 months) so he can’t really be punished/told to stay away from the cat. He crawls, and he’s currently learning to walk, and goes straight to the cat. Spout will not separate herself and claws at him. She has clawed him once at the back of the head, and once near the eyes. She very nearly put a claw directly into my sons eyes.

We have tried policing her, but she’s a people cat and goes straight for the people (where my son and I are, he’s very heavily supervised). I cannot keep separating them because she literally comes straight back. It would be nonstop. We have tried waterbottle squirting, moving her, separating them, doing literally everything we can. It’s a constant issue. Now my fiancé and I do not live together (I mostly don’t want to move in because of the cat), and we cannot keep driving back and forth. It’s getting to be too much, we live 100 miles away from each other and it’s 2 hours in okay traffic ONE WAY. I can’t drive this anymore.

We have tried rehoming her with a friend, didn’t work she attacked their cat and rehoming her with a another friend, she also didn’t like the other cat that lived there. We currently have her sequestered in one room, but if I move in my son will need the room, and also it’s honestly not fair for her to have to stay in A ROOM all day. My fiancé has agreed to take her to the shelter since we have put up ads to rehome her and it just isn’t working but he is dragging his feet. WIBTA if I asked him to pull the trigger and rehome her so she can find a new family where it’s just her and she has a full house to roam instead of being locked in a room all day.

Note; the shelter is a NO KILL shelter, I wouldn’t consider taking her to a kill shelter, and me moving in my own place in his city is not an option, I can’t afford it and I currently live with family. I will also be quitting my job to move in with him (it’s in my place of residence and commuting is not an option) so I’d have to find a new job in the city also, apartment deposits are flipping expensive.

Edit: Everyone here who’s advocating for a BABY who cannot walk without assistance or speak a single word to be physically injured rather than a cat find a new home, you’re an rear end in a top hat.

If you think I’m an rear end in a top hat, that’s fine and I accept that but if you’re literally advocating for a baby to be rehomed/injured/whatever other lovely thing you’ve decided, take a real good look at your life because you’re a huge piece of poo poo.

Also, stop saying my fiancé isn’t my sons dad. Just because he’s biologically not his, doesn’t make him any less his dad and is insulting to him. He calls himself daddy, he’s dad. That’s settled and also, not what I asked.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

WIBTA for asking my fiancé to take his cat to the pound

quote:

Also, stop saying my fiancé isn’t my sons dad. Just because he’s biologically not his, doesn’t make him any less his dad and is insulting to him. He calls himself daddy, he’s dad. That’s settled and also, not what I asked.

Lol of course that's what reddit laser focused in on

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
That's extremely non standard behavior for a house cat - have they been in contact with the vet? There is a mental thing that causes them to feel fear all of the time and lash out really violently (beyond standard under stimulated cat "attacks" which are usually just boredom or neglect) and they can/do get medication for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Clowner posted:

Actually, it does exist. It's called DID, disassociative identity disorder:

It's a pretty controversial diagnosis though. Some professionals claim that DID-related behavior is more often than not symptomatic of an underlying problem rather than a mental illness endpoint:

So the issue is not whether it's real, but how widespread and how misdiagnosed it is in practice.

DID is diagnosed by a vanishingly small amount of doctors, which points to the possibility that those therapists are, whether intentionally or not, creating that behavior in their patients. It’s not a universally accepted diagnosis at all.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Boyfriend didnt invite me to friends wedding

quote:

I (F, 31) have been together with my boyfriend (M, 34) for 4 months, mostly long distance. We had discussed going to LA to see each other: he had to be there for work and for a friends wedding. He didnt invite me to join him at the wedding and when I asked why he'd rather go alone he said something about not being sure about the exact time of his arrival because of work and that he didnt want to inconvenience me on the chance that he had to change plans last minute. We agreed we would spend the week after the wedding together. Decided this was ok and went along with plan to meet him there after wedding. As it approached this began to bother me more and more. Spoke to him about it again and same excuse. This just doesnt sit well with me, his job just isnt that unpredictable. On the night of the wedding this eventually turned into a phone argument especially as it turned out that he had the time to pick up 3 friends along the way (one of whom is his female friend and she had asked him for a ride there a while ago). So he didnt wanna figure out logistics with me but could do it with the others and they had been planning this pickup for a while. Another reason for the argument - I was supposed to land at 2pm the next day and he wasn't sure whether he could pick me up from the airport (he has to return the rental car there anyway) or whether there may/may not be a post wedding lunch. So in other words I'm supposed to head to the hotel and meet him there. After our argument he apologized and said he didnt mean it in the way that I've take it (ie as a total rejection). None of this feels right and his actions raw totally out of character he is usually very loving, considerate and all of that. Am I right to be annoyed? Is it too soon to expect an invite? How do I deal with this? Advice greatly greatly appreciated.

TL;DR! Boyfriend of four months didnt invite me to join him as a +1 at his friends wedding and is making weird excuses about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol if you posted:

almost a decade of good banking history was just, like, gone.

It's not really clear what you experienced here, but that's not how the banking system works. Just like closing a credit card (and/or getting a new one) doesn't wipe out your credit history, because Equifax/Transunion/etc has it, the same is true of banking (Chex Systems).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Midnight Voyager posted:

what the poo poo, I never read out loud, not ever. Nobody ever assumed I couldn't loving read.

Hey, this is uncommon, better assume some poo poo and lie to a kid!

I looked on the post (which has been deleted for "obviously not being an rear end in a top hat", wtf) and there's a NAH from a teacher because "all teachers are told to lie to kids like this" (WTF?) and a YTA because TEACHERS HAVE IT HARD YOU'RE SO ENTITLED.

From someone working in education yeah it's a clear cut NTA situation, both those replies are dumb as hell.

For the first, uh no?? What teachers are heavily emphasized on doing is differentiation. Meaning paying close attention to the different needs in the room and adjusting accordingly. Telling little white lies now and a then to really little kids isn't bad, but uh.... telling them their parents said something they didn't is way the hell over the line for all sorts of reasons.

For the second one, teachers do have it hard but god loving forbid we go the route of cops and turn that into some lockstep cult poo poo where even when teachers gently caress up they get a stonewall defense. gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mooseykins posted:

I know someone who "has one", but it's not quite that simple. She was severely abused in childhood, to a degree that almost sounds like an edgy parody with how traumatizing it was, and dissociating is a common coping method for severely abused children. In this case it manifested as her dissociation being referring to herself by an old nickname and becoming much more willing to engage in risky or self-harming behavior, which she may or may not have memory of after she snaps out of it. It's not an actual "split personality", but her brain essentially cutting her off under stress because it used to be the only way to handle what she went through without snapping completely.

That's why borderline personality disorder is commonly seen in people with abusive childhoods and dissociation is a common symptom. A lot of the symptoms of BPD are coping mechanisms that the brain develops under severe abuse, which become inappropriate outside of that environment. Like splitting (black & white thinking making it impossible to view anyone or anything as something other than wholly good or wholly bad) is a way of easily cutting off potential sources of danger, but instead causes them to flip out on their loved ones and abandon people while classifying them as "evil" when they do something they don't like.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 21, 2019