Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"oh no a time thing happened"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MikeJF posted:

It also means that if anyone makes a future Star Trek series with a more optimistic view, you either gotta deal with 'all this is just gonna go to poo poo' hanging over your head if you do the 25th/26th or so centuries, or you gotta jump ahead to post-3000 and then spend time at the start shovelling over the Disco dystopia.
I haven't seen Discovery but is their scenario somehow more committal that the various one-off "futures" shown in All Good Things and other time travel episodes? I'd figure anything that happens could be written off the same way as the 3-nacelled Enterprise D, for any story told in a post-Picard setting.

MikeJF posted:

yeah basically that

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MikeJF posted:

poo poo, it's entirely possible that DiscoS3 is all about BEING the time thing. They gently caress around in the future for a season, then go back to the "present" to change things so that dystopia 27th century never happens.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What on Earth do they mean by modern ideas of what a bridge would look like I wonder

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I maintain each series is only canon to itself. Even like q in DS9, it's like "that's the DS9 Q", he has characteristics in common with TNG q but it's sort of a discrete thing. It'll be true for TNG Picard and Picard Picard as well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ramadu posted:

What on Earth do they mean by modern ideas of what a bridge would look like I wonder

BSG

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

As time goes on it becomes more apparent that the question should not have been "why didn't voyager live up to the other shows potential?" and instead "why was DS9 the only show that really lived up to its potential?"

Ramadu posted:

Incredibly unpleasant to be around
Edit:muchlikemyposting!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Minidust posted:

I haven't seen Discovery but is their scenario somehow more committal that the various one-off "futures" shown in All Good Things and other time travel episodes? I'd figure anything that happens could be written off the same way as the 3-nacelled Enterprise D, for any story told in a post-Picard setting.

It's felt like all of the six or seven showrunners they've had have felt super-restrained by the 23rd century setting that was originally selected by Fuller, and that they're really just wanted to make a show in a new era where all the ships can be extra pointy. I've assumed that the leap to the 30th century at the end of Season 2 is a permanent shift to a new setting. Especially since they ended with the 23rd century characters going 'and let's all swear never to mention Discovery or the magic teleporting mushroom drive ever again'.

(Literally, at the end of the season they said, and I quote, "to ensure the Federation never finds itself facing the same danger, all officers remaining with knowledge of these events must be ordered never to speak of Discovery, its spore drive, or her crew again." It was basically like that simpsons episode where Principal Skinner turns out to be someone else and everyone decides to forget it, but with a whole show.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 20, 2019

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Man, I'm usually not one of those guys that starts running around saying, "Nope, I'm not gonna watch this" when let's face it, I will because it's new Star Trek. But I don't think I can watch this crap anymore. It's just become a boot stomping on a bumpy face, forever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
gonna repeat my lovely worn-out mantra that star trek should not be about the loving federation

Ramadu posted:

probably like where they have holograms floating in front of them that they frantically manipulate and swoosh/swipe around with their hands

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pick posted:

I maintain each series is only canon to itself. Even like q in DS9, it's like "that's the DS9 Q", he has characteristics in common with TNG q but it's sort of a discrete thing. It'll be true for TNG Picard and Picard Picard as well.

Speaking of non-TNG Q, how did "What if Q had a son?" get out of the writer's room?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I just don't get who they're making Discovery for. Star Trek fans won't like it because it feels like generic military sci-fi at best and lovely Star Trek fanfic at worst, and people who aren't invested in Star Trek but like military sci-fi would watch the show if it wasn't called Star Trek anyway, so what gives?

MikeJF posted:

It's felt like all of the six or seven showrunners they've had have felt super-restrained by the 23rd century setting that was originally selected by Fuller, and that they're really just wanted to make a show in a new era where all the ships can be extra pointy. I've assumed that the leap to the 30th century at the end of Season 2 is a permanent shift to a new setting. Especially since they ended with the 23rd century characters going 'and let's all swear never to mention Discovery or the magic teleporting mushroom drive ever again'.

(Literally, at the end of the season they said, and I quote, "to ensure the Federation never finds itself facing the same danger, all officers remaining with knowledge of these events must be ordered never to speak of Discovery, its spore drive, or her crew again." It was basically like that simpsons episode where Principal Skinner turns out to be someone else and everyone decides to forget it, but with a whole show.)

I think this was also how they got around Spock (as well as Amanda and Sarek) never mentioning Burnam, ever. Though I actually didn't have much problem with that because Spock didn't mention his fiance or half-brother until they were staring him in the face too.

jng2058 posted:

poo poo, it's entirely possible that DiscoS3 is all about BEING the time thing. They gently caress around in the future for a season, then go back to the "present" to change things so that dystopia 27th century never happens.

This is exactly what I'm expecting, like how the final scene of S1 Discovery had people acting like they were in Starfleet, this will be a whole season of poo poo from a butt and then they'll decide to go back in time to make sure this future never comes to pass.

I want to remain hopeful for Picard and I know it's different showrunners and writers but drat, optimism is hard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humerus posted:

I just don't get who they're making Discovery for. Star Trek fans won't like it because it feels like generic military sci-fi at best and lovely Star Trek fanfic at worst, and people who aren't invested in Star Trek but like military sci-fi would watch the show if it wasn't called Star Trek anyway, so what gives?

"Star Trek has been our most popular franchise and we need to attract people to our new streaming platform, go make a new one but make sure it's prestige television because that's the new buzzword"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know if it's dumber than when they called Enterprise just Enterprise thinking you could trick people into watching it if you didn't have Star Trek in the title or whatever.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The dumbest thing was when they put Star Trek in the title, as though Star Trek fans didn't know Enterprise was a Star Trek show, and the only thing keeping them from watching it was ignorance/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Enterprise was too nutless to stick to any of the guns it brought, which is kind of loving pathetic for a show ostensibly about the boldest era of humankind

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm not hating on it but having watched TNG season 5 up to 8th episode (I watched the Unification episodes way in advance because reasons) I'm surprised how... campy even TNG is, while I had the impression that it's way more "serious" than the original series. To a degree I get the vibe that Star Trek doesn't lend itself well to a cohesive universe with an actual canon because there's just too much... silly poo poo around. I'm not saying you can't form some sort of in-universe sense of the world, or that a series should be solely focused on creating a cohesive narrative. Just as a kid catching episode or two occasionally the overall picture I got of the show was way more serious. Obviously age changes one's point of view and episodic nature of the show is largely due to how it was network TV and longstanding cohesive story narrative between episodes wasn't really a thing until certain "modern" shows.

I'm not saying the show is worse for it but I did expect it to be slightly more cohesive/serious with some splashes of campiness/episodic content around. I do wonder how DS9/rest of the shows are in comparison. I didn't hate Discovery even with its many faults but TNG is just so comfortable to watch in comparison.

edit: I feel extremely skeevy for pointing this out but I have to air it since I actually tried google but found no results. Am I insane or are some of the uniforms slightly *too* skintight at times in TNG? I feel like the remastered episodes surface some details that were probably not intended to be visible during original airtime.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 20, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dessel posted:

I'm not hating on it but having watched TNG season 5 up to 8th episode (I watched the Unification episodes way in advance because reasons) I'm surprised how... campy even TNG is, while I had the impression that it's way more "serious" than the original series. To a degree I get the vibe that Star Trek doesn't lend itself well to a cohesive universe with an actual canon because there's just too much... silly poo poo around. I'm not saying you can't form some sort of in-universe sense of the world, or that a series should be solely focused on creating a cohesive narrative. Just as a kid catching episode or two occasionally the overall picture I got of the show was way more serious. Obviously age changes one's point of view and episodic nature of the show is largely due to how it was network TV and longstanding cohesive story narrative between episodes wasn't really a thing until certain "modern" shows.

I'm not saying the show is worse for it but I did expect it to be slightly more cohesive/serious with some splashes of campiness/episodic content around. I do wonder how DS9/rest of the shows are in comparison. I didn't hate Discovery even with its many faults but TNG is just so comfortable to watch in comparison.
It depends what you mean by campiness. All the series are relatively lighthearted by modern standards but by modern standards of dramatic television, a show with only one rape, torture, or cannibalism scene per season would be considered fluffy and un-serious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dessel posted:

edit: I feel extremely skeevy for pointing this out but I have to air it since I actually tried google but found no results. Am I insane or are some of the uniforms slightly *too* skintight at times in TNG? I feel like the remastered episodes surface some details that were probably not intended to be visible during original airtime.

There's some serious dick n'balls on display in some TNG episodes.

TNG is often campy. DS9 is not entirely un-campy but is more serious than TNG in general.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dessel posted:

The early uniforms were made of some spandex blend and were so tight that Stewart’s doctor (chiropractor?) told him it could cause permanent spinal injury if he kept wearing it. The season 3-onwards uniforms were much looser and made of wool, but they apparently stank to high heaven from all the soaked-in sweat odors.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Nessus posted:

It depends what you mean by campiness. All the series are relatively lighthearted by modern standards but by modern standards of dramatic television, a show with only one rape, torture, or cannibalism scene per season would be considered fluffy and un-serious.

Yeah this is definitely part of it but not all. Like the fact that Riker is bringing on board a videogame that literally mind controls people, where are Starfleet's security protocols at? (I do recognize modern shows have much dumber logical fallacies in them).

I do have to underline that even though I'm surprised about the "mild campiness" of the show it's part of the charm of watching it in 2019 since it is so very optimistic about humanity and the world/universe surrounding us when we're constantly surrounded by world and media portraying cynicism and structural problems in our society and doing it in a very bleak manner. There is value in that kind of portrayal but TNG is so refreshing compared to that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Incredibly bad security is a staple of all of Trek.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I can just about believe that the feds would have terrible security since they don’t seem to have anything like the modern surveillance state and generally seem to give citizenry a fairly ridiculous degree of freedom to do whatever. However when the actual totalitarian control freak alien empires don’t bother putting security cameras in their overfull prison cells...

:ughh:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TNG was written before the world of constant barrage of scams and deceit that we live in. If you only worked as a TV writer back then, you may not get that much exposure to organizations that very much care about not being compromised.

Even now the easiest way to compromise a company is to just call up Jim from accounting and say "I'm from IT, I need your password for a secret project" and he'll just give it to you.

TNG characters act like how 90s TV writers think.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Man, gently caress Discovery. I even hate the rumors about it.

I don't understand how anyone thinks this Picard show is going to be any good with their track record of Discovery's already stellar writing.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jesus, people are so desperate to hate Discovery that people are panicking over unsourced, half-remembered rumours now?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Jesus, people are so desperate to hate Discovery that people are panicking over unsourced, half-remembered rumours now?

I don't think people who dislike discovery are desperate for material to hate it, the 2 seasons seem to be doing a wonderful job already.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Outrageous Okona guy is basically dash rendar

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jng2058 posted:

Nah, that should be the next series. Those two Temporal investigations guys from from the DS9 Tribbles episode? They used to roll their eyes when they heard Kirk was involved with shenanigans, but he'd be a vacation right now! Even though their department has quintupled in size and now has a respectable fleet of prototype chronoships, they can barely keep up with the damage Discovery has done, and what spare time there is left is consumed by those four Lower Decks animated shitheads. Each week watch as our gang goes back in time to fix the problems no one else can (except for those fuckers who keep causing them). These cops go by the book, except they all agree to ignore one rule...contrary to standard procedure, they start investigating the most recent time distortion, set phasers for eviscerate, and blow the holy bejeezus out of the Discovery assholes. This way, they aren't depriving themselves of the chance to do it again to those cocksuckers the next time they're called to the job.

Coming soon on CBS All Access, and we're really leaning into it..."Star Trek: We Are So, So Sorry"
Subtitle: "We're Fixing Our Mistakes...In Canon"
Second subtitle: "We're coming for you next, Voyager and JJTrek"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

Second subtitle: "We're coming for you next, Voyager and JJTrek"

That was an actual episode of Voyager, where a future time cop tried to blow up the ship because they hosed around with time so often and he just hated them so much.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 21, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The early uniforms were made of some spandex blend and were so tight that Stewart’s doctor (chiropractor?) told him it could cause permanent spinal injury if he kept wearing it. The season 3-onwards uniforms were much looser and made of wool, but they apparently stank to high heaven from all the soaked-in sweat odors.
If they hadn’t changed uniforms we wouldn’t have gotten the Picard Maneuver

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

That was an actual episode of Voyager, where a future time cop tried to blow up the ship because they hosed around with time so often and he just hated them so much.

My very very favorite thing about Voyager is that maybe the best and most memorable episode is a lengthy lesson about the foolishness of trying to use time travel to correct your own mistakes and then in Endgame Janeway does exactly that, fancy space weapons and all, end story, no regrets. I like to think it hosed things up somehow and she's constantly looping through time trying to get things back even as good as the original bad timeline.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Probably the most realistic thing about the show.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Remember how apparently anyone on the ship can just open a communications line with the captain at any time, they're just on the honor system.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Known criminal Quark can apparently just walk onto the Defiant any time he wants.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kanine posted:

The Outrageous Okona guy is basically dash rendar

What the gently caress

Mods?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dessel posted:

(I do recognize modern shows have much dumber logical fallacies in them

That's not a logical fallacy :argh:

Grand Fromage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhgEGeKcbo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly they should just shut down Star Trek. Spaceflight isn't in our future, or if it is not for thousands of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Star Trek Security: set phasers to stern warning