Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Really can't believe I made it to mid-age, I don't recommend it

:same:

Could be worse, I don't know how, but still, it could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

:yeshaha:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

If you have any homebrewing stores nearby there's a fat dude with a beard who will help you get set up with any of the above.

Hello, this is all correct info.

You probably do want to pasturize it first though, 5 gallons of nice cider and like 5 pounds of honey with champage yeast will make a super dry ~10-15% hard cider. You'll want to age it in the bottles for at least like 6 months though because it'll be real harsh right after the ferment.

Also do a secondary fermenter because you'll get a shitload of dead yeast and poo poo.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Searching for "cider" and 70's" was a mistake

Because the related images...

...dragged me down the rabbit hole of terror.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

this is a pale imitation of the true longegg

https://i.imgur.com/TVQeYd0.mp4

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My grandad used to have a vegetable garden. We would go to my grandparents for Sunday dinner. Me and my sister would sit out there with him and eat delicious snap peas straight from the vine (not sure if that's the right word but they grew on a trellis). He also had carrots and we would wash them off under the outdoor tap and munch on them raw.

A few hours later when it was dinner time we'd go inside and be presented with a plate just like that, with the same delicious veggies boiled to the point the peas were turning yellow. Mash that was literally just overboiled potato mashed up with nothing else added, and minced beef that had been boiled in a saucepan with gravy granules.

It wasn't until I started cooking for myself that I realised the same meal could be tasty as hell when done right.

To be fair, my mum and gran were really good at baking cakes, pastries and making desserts, but they definitely came from a generation where everything else had to be boiled until tasteless.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

God this gives me flashbacks to Sunday dinners with the extended family. My Great Aunt was a saint who let me eat chocolate until I literally poisoned myself but she could not cook.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

BMX Ninja posted:

To be fair, my mum and gran were really good at baking cakes, pastries and making desserts, but they definitely came from a generation where everything else had to be boiled until tasteless.

:same:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Freebirds is burritos, and I would definitely get them delivered if there was one anywhere close to me.

The Freebirds near me used to be good, now it's vile. Last time I went there it was like it had been abandoned. There was no one there eating, there were only 2 people behind the counter and it stank like rotting meat. I left without getting anything.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sweet As Sin posted:

I used to be a purist, now whatever goes EXCEPT PEAS

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

what's with this trend? My local Italian place does this. The first time there, I saw pasta carbonara on the menu and didn't bother to read the description because it's carbonara, right? Can't mess that up, right? :wrong:. Comes loaded with peas and like, alfredo sauce. Never again.

Why are people messing with a dish that should literally only be 5 ingredients :psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

even with the low grade cheese, i'd go for that meatloaf

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Zipperelli. posted:

what's with this trend? My local Italian place does this. The first time there, I saw pasta carbonara on the menu and didn't bother to read the description because it's carbonara, right? Can't mess that up, right? :wrong:. Comes loaded with peas and like, alfredo sauce. Never again.

Why are people messing with a dish that should literally only be 5 ingredients :psyduck:
No clue.

If they want some green to liven up the visual just toss some chopped parsley on top.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sweet As Sin posted:

Please share your cider resources, I want to try

You need to get yourself to the West Country in England. That's the home of cider.
Get yourself a plastic jug of Scrumpy and enjoy (very slowly if you want to actually remember the experience and wake up in the same place you started)
You could also pop into the Coronation Tap in Bristol and have a half pint of their Exhibition cider. You can only have one half pint though. This is to stop you falling over in the pub and making a mess.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

I make it the normal way with just eggs, cheese, pancetta and pepper but I add peas too. I like peas.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DiggityDoink posted:

I make it the normal way with just eggs, cheese, pancetta and pepper but I add peas too. I like peas.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Zipperelli. posted:

When you say “alfredo sauce” are you referring to the “traditional” recipe or the more common, general meaning?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SLOSifl posted:

When you say “alfredo sauce” are you referring to the “traditional” recipe or the more common, general meaning?

Maybe he has an Enrique named Alfredo make all his sauces.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

SLOSifl posted:

The sauce, for all intents and purposes, was just alfredo sauce. Traditionally like you would get on Fettuccine Alfredo.

Really thinking about it, the only people ever in there were old WASPs, which must be good because a real Italian walking in there and seeing that poo poo would make them blow their stack.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
You know it's good when it comes in a 5 gallon bucket.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DiggityDoink posted:

I really honestly read this as eggs, cheese, placenta...

Might work, honestly

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Helith posted:

You need to get yourself to the West Country in England. That's the home of cider.
Get yourself a plastic jug of Scrumpy and enjoy (very slowly if you want to actually remember the experience and wake up in the same place you started)
You could also pop into the Coronation Tap in Bristol and have a half pint of their Exhibition cider. You can only have one half pint though. This is to stop you falling over in the pub and making a mess.

I feel like both of these should have the label "NOTICE: Made from apples. ...Mostly apples."

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I really want to try those ciders. Like, I might plan a trip for that when I have extra cash.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still haven't get used to the fact that this clip became an internet thing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virgin boy egg

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Helith posted:

That Exhibition cider's only 8.5% so no worse than drinking a pint of 4.25% beer. I suppose they cut you off because cider's awfully easy to drink and you'd probably have a few pints down before you'd noticed how mangled you were getting.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the name "Scrumpy" sounds like the most incredible hobo booze ever.

"What are you doing?" "Mixing Scrumpy and Mad Dog, I call it the AK-47."

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Pookah posted:

That Exhibition cider's only 8.5% so no worse than drinking a pint of 4.25% beer. I suppose they cut you off because cider's awfully easy to drink and you'd probably have a few pints down before you'd noticed how mangled you were getting.

I can say from experience it is very easy to drink and doesn't remotely taste as strong as it is, you don't always realise how much you have had until you stand up...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ebola Dog posted:

I can say from experience it is very easy to drink and doesn't remotely taste as strong as it is, you don't always realise how much you have had until you stand up...

Sweet cider's definitely very sneaky in that way alright.
Similarly, I know someone who was housesitting and decided to have a little cointreau to help pass the time while watching soaps, except the glass they used was a sherry glass, not a liqueur glass, so the little drinks they thought they were having were probably closer to trebles. Never even felt drunk until they tried to stand - apparently it was so bad they had to lean against walls the whole way back home.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ebola Dog posted:

This is how people describe drinking caribou.

Which is a drink that is one part port, three parts whiskey.

Back in the original trapper days it was supposedly a mixture of caribou blood, wine and whiskey.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Randaconda posted:

virgin boy egg

Is there a piss version of the it was poo emoji?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rodbeard posted:

Is there a piss version of the it was poo emoji?

:pisstape:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

from hell's heart, etc etc

and yes, the video description in its entirely is "youtube.com"

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

"WHY CAN I STILL SEE?"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The Bloop posted:

I really honestly read this as eggs, cheese, placenta...

Might work, honestly

Well, from what I remember of that one goon who had placenta chilli, it apparently is similar to chicken livers, so probably not.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"necro nomnomnomicon" is the most offensive part of that post.

Also I like on the kraft "dinner" the add-ins are just "dump these things in". The "southwest" one sounds especially depressing.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Samovar posted:

Well, from what I remember of that one goon who had placenta chilli, it apparently is similar to chicken livers, so probably not.

Man, whatever happened to Elise?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Man, whatever happened to Elise?

Placenta poisoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zipperelli. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZ_70XyVAk
(It has subtitles)