Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

blair had prescott as deputy for a long while as a sop to the left

of course, prescott was somewhat more constructive in the role than watson's been

he accepted a lordship lmebo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Squizzle posted:

so whats this “brexit” business all about

I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is Brexit is the greatest thing in the world.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

I've missed everything, what did Watson do?
He has consistently been briefing against the leadership.

The most recent example, from about a week ago, is that as soon as Labour's new policy of "let's have an election, then do a referendum" was agreed, he immediately went to the press saying that the referendum should come before any election, to muddy the waters about the party's line.

He should have been gone years ago. He has never done anything but wreck.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

blair had prescott as deputy for a long while as a sop to the left

of course, prescott was somewhat more constructive in the role than watson's been
I don't think anyone in britain could recall prescott ever doing anything as deputy leader other than (allegedly) owning 2 jaguars, philandering, and punching a guy who egged him. He didn't seem very left wing at the time, but then I was at school when he was deputy leader so maybe I missed something important.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The worst part is that they didn't go through with it, he's genuinely been leaking/wrecking/trying to depose Corbyn for years at this point

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

2012: We're gonna get billions of money for London!
AUSTERITY!
2019: Why are you poor shits sad?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Squizzle posted:

he accepted a lordship lmebo

you think he should have refused his life peerage? labour do need votes in the House of Lords you know.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lord eggpuncher

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqKJfsn14mE

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1175379503402627077?s=19

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

nothing suspect about this, it’s just how old timey newspapers used to do it

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Thom12255 posted:

I've missed everything, what did Watson do?

stuff like taking advantage of someone being in hospital for chemotherapy to try and throw them under the bus
https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2...dergoing-chemo/

Also used parliamentary privilege to repeat allegations made up by a fantasist, as a way of increasing his profile
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lady-brittan-stop-abuse-of-privilege-hjqgg6w67

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

marktheando posted:

you think he should have refused his life peerage? labour do need votes in the House of Lords you know.

i guess the big lesson he took from his whole bbc series on class in the uk is “it owns to be a lord”

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jre posted:

stuff like taking advantage of someone being in hospital for chemotherapy to try and throw them under the bus
https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2...dergoing-chemo/

Also used parliamentary privilege to repeat allegations made up by a fantasist, as a way of increasing his profile
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lady-brittan-stop-abuse-of-privilege-hjqgg6w67

in a post-epstein-murder world just lol if you dont beleive in the parliamentary pedo ring, especially after the initial thatcher coverup and the total fuckup of the inquiry

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Hentai Jihadist posted:

in a post-epstein-murder world just lol if you dont beleive in the parliamentary pedo ring, especially after the initial thatcher coverup and the total fuckup of the inquiry

Thatcher moved on that 8yo boy like a bitch in heat

when you're a MP, they just let you do it

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I just got my new insurance started at work and I'm on their website. They're listing all of my costs everywhere in British Pounds. Which seems like it should be weird for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee, right?

Are they just getting ready for a new acquisition? lol

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Hentai Jihadist posted:

That man was a fantasist and the prominence Watson gave him made it easy for the media to bury the entire scandal

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
There were many witnesses and a good amount of evidence but no let's make the face of the scandal the guy who's account is completely different from everyone else's and has a well documented history of making poo poo up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Can you you rephrase that in a way that doesn’t assume everyone else is intimately familiar with whatever the hell you’re talking about? Your posts read like you believe the UK isn’t run by pedophiles, which makes you come off as kinda unhinged, hth

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Everything I have been to at The World Transformed has been rammed, it's awesome. Lot of passionate people about. Jeremy Gilbert told us all "the lesson is if you want good music, you have to abolish capitalism"

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Can you you rephrase that in a way that doesn’t assume everyone else is intimately familiar with whatever the hell you’re talking about? Your posts read like you believe the UK isn’t run by pedophiles, which makes you come off as kinda unhinged, hth

There was an inquiry into the Westminster paedophile ring that involved many credible witnesses and a lot of evidence. While this was ongoing a man contacted the police with a bunch of new allegations that were even more shocking than the ones the credible witnesses made. Tom Watson latched onto this man and helped make him the face of the scandal. The man later turned out to be a serial fantasist who had made it all up. The government and media used this to bury the entire scandal

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKmRtfMaPgE

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

jBrereton posted:

I don't think anyone in britain could recall prescott ever doing anything as deputy leader other than (allegedly) owning 2 jaguars, philandering, and punching a guy who egged him. He didn't seem very left wing at the time, but then I was at school when he was deputy leader so maybe I missed something important.

he was the government face of the fire service strikes of 2002-3 and broke down the FBU's demand of £30k for firefighters and support staff to a raise from £21k to £24.5k over three years

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Just in case anybody is getting confused by this, and keeping up with my thing where I defend people who probably don't deserve it; trying to oust Tom Watson, who is the elected deputy leader of Labour, using tactics that amount to a coup, makes Labour, and especially Momentum, look like absolute hypocritical maniacs. The tory rags are almost certainly in heaven right now and will spin it out for as long as they absolutely can.

If you are unable to understand how much this hurts labours election ambitions then there is probably not much hope for you.

The only saving grace is Corbyn was able to stop it when he was. If you want to get rid of Watson (which would be great imo) then vote him out at the next leadership election.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Nobody gives a gently caress about Tom Watson, calm down

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

MikeCrotch posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress about Tom Watson, calm down

Literally the top story on the Telegraph site already...

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Dravs posted:

If you want to get rid of Watson (which would be great imo) then vote him out at the next leadership election.

The only way to trigger an election for deputy leader is with the backing of at least 20% of labour mps. The only way Watson stops being deputy leader is if he steps down or if the leadership position becomes vacant and he gets automatically promoted

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think Corbyn made a mistake. MP's will leave the party any way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gum posted:

There was an inquiry into the Westminster paedophile ring that involved many credible witnesses and a lot of evidence. While this was ongoing a man contacted the police with a bunch of new allegations that were even more shocking than the ones the credible witnesses made. Tom Watson latched onto this man and helped make him the face of the scandal. The man later turned out to be a serial fantasist who had made it all up. The government and media used this to bury the entire scandal
Watson did it on purpose

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
If Corbyn gets ousted before Watson then it is genuinely all over. As leader he would have to power to completely freeze out the left again

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Dravs posted:

Just in case anybody is getting confused by this, and keeping up with my thing where I defend people who probably don't deserve it; trying to oust Tom Watson, who is the elected deputy leader of Labour, using tactics that amount to a coup, makes Labour, and especially Momentum, look like absolute hypocritical maniacs. The tory rags are almost certainly in heaven right now and will spin it out for as long as they absolutely can.

If you are unable to understand how much this hurts labours election ambitions then there is probably not much hope for you.

The only saving grace is Corbyn was able to stop it when he was. If you want to get rid of Watson (which would be great imo) then vote him out at the next leadership election.

In the last leadership election we didn’t get to vote on deputy leader. Are there term limits?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

madey posted:

In the last leadership election we didn’t get to vote on deputy leader. Are there term limits?

Nope, and he can't be challenged without PLP backing

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Dravs posted:

So was that "Corbyn is a Czech Spy" story that absolutely nobody cared about lol

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Is the guardian seriously the only left paper?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dravs posted:

lmao @ u

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Preston Waters posted:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4oNjTuTz-8

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

nobody gives a gently caress about Watson lol

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Preston Waters posted:

The Guardian is liberal, not left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Preston Waters posted:

The guardian is not a left leaning paper...