Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The poor energy density of batteries per weight is really going to prevent electric aircraft from being useful outside of a few niche uses. Bio fuels is pretty much the only real option at the moment.

Dirigibles are a problem because right now helium comes from natural gas processing. Hydrogen can be generated from water and electricity but has its own issues...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

My favorite twitter rumor about tsai was that she has a hapa lovechild who lives in Canada. The details around her dissertation do seem pretty sketchy:

she's already in bed with western imperialists so this is no surprise

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
let's not use sexist language please

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

My favorite twitter rumor about tsai was that she has a hapa lovechild who lives in Canada. The details around her dissertation do seem pretty sketchy:

Maybe the state department should rebrand itself the department of pot kettle attacks

drat Taiwan is more like the US than I thought, they even have their own version of "bill Clinton's illegitimate half-black son"

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tsai's alma matter called her Dr. on their own webpage... what's in dispute

edit:

There's also a record of her doctorate being awarded

edit: not to mention other postings of the school calling her Dr., the school putting out her dissertation directly, etc... it's like birth certificate level except you can just ask the school and they'll be like yup, we gave her a doctorate here is her thesis for you to read

like originally these people claimed it didn't exist, but when the school sent it to them they had to fall back on her using american spelling (wtf) and formatting critiques. These professors are going to get destroyed in their defamation suit

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Sep 21, 2019

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Collins Language adopted the US 'z' spellings in UK publications a few decades back so it's very dumb to suggest that they indicate plagiarism, it's just a simple consistency error. And PhDs are often formatted like poo poo, University departments often don't have stringent requirements and it's incredibly common for certain cited works not to appear in a long bibliography.

All these mistakes might be expected to be caught before the formal submission of the revised thesis, but, especially in the case of a "minor revision" after an oral defence, the onus on making these changes is on the student, and the only person who will check them is their supervisor, who frequently will be too busy to make sure the spellings are consistent over several hundred pages. The supervisor is also not going to make sure every single cited work appears in the bibliography. It's expected that a PhD manuscript will have mistakes, you're only really supposed to fix them all before it gets published as a book, which will actually have a professional editor.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

drat Taiwan is more like the US than I thought, they even have their own version of "bill Clinton's illegitimate half-black son"

every drat country is like that now, see Indonesia

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The "thesis" is still missing a lot of things, (I am translating this from chinese post so bare with me, I am not familiar with doctoral processing lingo), its missing the name of the advisers, the signatures of the committee members on the book. It's missing overall conclusion according to the people who have read it. It read like a "thesis proposal" than a dissertation. Also it didn't exist in LSE library until middle of 2019. And Tsai herself place heavy restriction on the reading of the thesis so you can't copy it. I think eventually somebody is going to spy camera it and put it on the web.

Also LSE is not lcean.

edit
LOL look at the LSE's own database, they call it a "book", and Gaddafi's son's "dissertation", apparently Tsai didn't pay enough.

tino has issued a correction as of 12:40 on Sep 21, 2019

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Yeah that's sketchy, there's lots of weird mysteries surrounding it.

Even so, the most likely explanation is that it is just a badly written thesis that disappeared before the library had digital records, the supervisor maybe didn't do a great job supervising, and Tsai is likely pretty embarrassed by it. She didn't want it found.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
a terrible thesis paper, and she stupied political science and economics? yeah uhh... these two things are not at all connected, she must've just bribed the professors and submitted a ghostwritten paper. the londorn school of economics has high standards for graduation after all

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tino posted:

The "thesis" is still missing a lot of things, (I am translating this from chinese post so bare with me, I am not familiar with doctoral processing lingo), its missing the name of the advisers, the signatures of the committee members on the book. It's missing overall conclusion according to the people who have read it. It read like a "thesis proposal" than a dissertation. Also it didn't exist in LSE library until middle of 2019. And Tsai herself place heavy restriction on the reading of the thesis so you can't copy it. I think eventually somebody is going to spy camera it and put it on the web.

Also LSE is not lcean.

edit
LOL look at the LSE's own database, they call it a "book", and Gaddafi's son's "dissertation", apparently Tsai didn't pay enough.

Fake dissertations were a huge scandal in Germany a while ago

This kind of chicanery only occurs in societies where getting a phd is valuable in politics or business. Nobody is cooking a phd dissertation in the US with any intention of being anything than an academic.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

The poor energy density of batteries per weight is really going to prevent electric aircraft from being useful outside of a few niche uses. Bio fuels is pretty much the only real option at the moment.

Dirigibles are a problem because right now helium comes from natural gas processing. Hydrogen can be generated from water and electricity but has its own issues...

super-high density batteries are in the early stages of development right now with the goal of using them for aircraft

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nathanlawkc/status/1175176842040492038

this is a movement that literally centers whiteness

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sincx posted:

By "whiteness" do you mean "Western ideas"? If so, you could say that about Chinese history for the last 150+ years.

Last I checked Marx and Engles were white.

The problem is these Hong Kong independence (sorry, "self determination") extremists have some sort of imperialist Stockholm syndrome. It's who they're talking to (Pence et al) that makes this extremist minority of protestors bad. Not that they are talking to white people.

Yes but that’s whiteness with Chinese characteristics, very different

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

By "whiteness" do you mean "Western ideas"? If so, you could say that about Chinese history for the last 150+ years.

By whiteness i mean they put the gwailo right in the center of their group picture, despite this being an ostensible hong kong "human rights" act

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

By whiteness i mean they put the gwailo right in the center of their group picture, despite this being an ostensible hong kong "human rights" act

On the mainland they would make the gwailo kowtow to the chinese as a tributary state ambassador would in the picture

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

super-high density batteries are in the early stages of development right now with the goal of using them for aircraft

jetA has a specific energy of 43 MJ/Kg and lithium ion batteries are more like 0.875 MJ/Kg. the super high density chemistries are closer to 9 MJ/Kg. combine that with the fact that a plane doesn’t get lighter as a battery discharges but does as het fuel is expended and it’s pretty clear that batteries have a very, very long way to go until they can be used aviation like current fuels.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
just noti e the joshua guy that looks like chinese adam friedland is doing the 👌 thingp

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I heard an interview on NPR last night with Joshua Wong while he was in Washington to pick up his comically large burlap sack with a dollar sign on the side and latest marching orders but I can't find it on their site now. The fun part was when the interviewer, I think it was Audie Cornish, kept asking questions about how people see him as a leader of the movement and Wong was all like "where did you get the idea that I'm a leader of this movement? There is no leader of this movement" and she was like "Google."

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

I heard an interview on NPR last night with Joshua Wong while he was in Washington to pick up his comically large burlap sack with a dollar sign on the side and latest marching orders but I can't find it on their site now. The fun part was when the interviewer, I think it was Audie Cornish, kept asking questions about how people see him as a leader of the movement and Wong was all like "where did you get the idea that I'm a leader of this movement? There is no leader of this movement" and she was like "Google."

The movement is leaderless and decentralized, please ignore the twitter bluechecks getting their masters' degrees in regime change at Yale and jetting around the world at someone's expense attending lavish galas with other NED funded actors:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
no matter how much he despises me, peven stan is unironically correct a fair amount of the time, and I honestly would love to buy him a single beer and shake his hand, if only because the vast majority of his takes are correct]

he'd never accept it but I've been consistent in this position for like half a decade

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
that's the most damning indictment yet.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The movement is leaderless and decentralized, please ignore the twitter bluechecks getting their masters' degrees in regime change at Yale and jetting around the world at someone's expense attending lavish galas with other NED funded actors:

Vitali Klitschko looks more hosed up after leaving Boxing than he was before leaving it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

that's the most damning indictment yet.

I didn't actually say I agreed with his most recent take, fwiw

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/JiayangFan/status/1175319171892207616?s=19

*gets racially profiled and bullied by protesters for being chinese and speaking mandarin*

i still support these brave freedom fighters...

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the PRC's 70th anniversary birthday bash is coming up and i couldn't be more excited :china:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
xi is visiting revolutionary sites to get all warmed up for the big day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKi6N_sRni4

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
more significance behind xi's trek through the "fragrant hills" and a pic of wang huning (my boy) tagging along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKjNvEBrHU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

tino posted:

Also LSE is not lcean.

edit

Gaddafi was at least a head of state with vast wealth who might want to buy a PHD for his kid, yeah.

Tsai was the illigitimate daughter of a car mechanic and in 1984 was just some 28 year old with a masters from cornell, who used her fake PHD to uh... become a professor of law for 16 years before having any involvement in the government wow

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Sep 22, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
like it's one thing to say some rich brat is going to use a fake PHD to boost political legitimacy when daddy hands over the keys to the country

and another to suggest that some oddities in the formatting of her dissertation are somehow more important than teaching on the subject for 16 years, and then having another 12 years working in the government

like its even more insane, in a sense, than the birth certificate which at least 1. would actually mean Obama was legally unfit for presidency and 2. was at least theoretically possible since his family did live in several countries. Of course the birth cert.'s only evidence was a "black man, and one without a christian name, is especially scary to me"

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Modest Mao posted:

Gaddafi was at least a head of state with vast wealth who might want to buy a PHD for his kid, yeah.

Tsai was the illigitimate daughter of a car mechanic and in 1984 was just some 28 year old with a masters from cornell, who used her fake PHD to uh... become a professor of law for 16 years before having any involvement in the government wow

What are you talking about, Tsai's father was a rich businessman. He was later a real estate capitalist. He also had 4 wives and families and 11 children.

Every anecdotal story I read about Tsai mentioned she was from a rich family. For example her roommate mention sheed was rich and own an electric typewriter when she was in LSE and gave it to her when she left.

Though I suspect she didn't pay to get her doctoral degree but only lied about it when she got back to TW because her family had connection in high places, and only donated to LSE later to cover up for her when she became president.

tino has issued a correction as of 13:50 on Sep 22, 2019

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

https://twitter.com/JiayangFan/status/1175319171892207616?s=19

*gets racially profiled and bullied by protesters for being chinese and speaking mandarin*

i still support these brave freedom fighters...

lol

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPKL1Oy-CA

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

tino posted:

What are you talking about, Tsai's father was a rich businessman. He was later a real estate capitalist. He also had 4 wives and families and 11 children.

whoops you're right.. I don't care too much about her I just see the doctorate thing popping up and it seems like a distraction like bernie sanders being a millionaire (for writing a popular book) and its a total waste of energy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whos the woman you confused her with thats actually the illegitimate daughter of a car mechanic

or is this one of those wacky translation things where car mechanic is a slang term for filthy rich real estate mogul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Lol yeah that person sounds a lot more interesting