Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dameius posted:

Well first question, where did you have Steam install it?

D:\Steamlibrary

I think I dodged the first bullet by not putting it in program files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Alchenar posted:

D:\Steamlibrary

I think I dodged the first bullet by not putting it in program files.
I think you're safe, because I think it's installing to Program Files that can cause modding problems. I never install anything to Program Files if I have a choice, so I can't say for certain, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I keep getting the urge to play this but holy gently caress trying to figure out which mods work and which are broken and how to install them just kills me.

I'm too stupid for this stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I keep getting the urge to play this but holy gently caress trying to figure out which mods work and which are broken and how to install them just kills me.

I'm in the same boat, I don't want to go through delving the nexus again ever since my mods I left for a couple years were broken and needed to be replaced, hoping for those not-a-modpack modpacks to happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alchenar posted:

Okay this is embarrassing but I've read the OP and am having a brain freeze.

I've just installed Skyrim Special Edition on Steam. All I want is to install the unofficial patch and SkyUI.

Can someone please explain the steps to do so to me like I am a small child? I have tried to follow the OP instructions but am getting bogged down on if I need to move my installation so steam doesn't mess it up and where exactly to put everything.

If those are literally the only two mods you want you can probably just use Nexus Mod Manager. I don't use that but I think it's literally just point and click.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Hell, if it’s just those two mods, you can probably get away with a manual install. Just drag and drop the contents of the two mods into your install folder. Make sure you’ve also installed SKSE, or Sky UI won’t work properly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

NuclearPotato posted:

Hell, if it’s just those two mods, you can probably get away with a manual install. Just drag and drop the contents of the two mods into your install folder. Make sure you’ve also installed SKSE, or Sky UI won’t work properly.

It's never just two mods. :getin:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Using Oldrim I have stuffed it full of mods and with a little shuffling around the game has been pretty stable. Biggest issue was when I added combat animations that were causing frequent CTDs when loading the save, but I found a mod that delays reading all the anims until after the load is complete and that solved the problem.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I think you're safe, because I think it's installing to Program Files that can cause modding problems. I never install anything to Program Files if I have a choice, so I can't say for certain, though.
Windows doesn't like it when you mess with files inside Program Files and can cause things to fail silently due to access permissions. As far as I know, it's not an issue if you're working under an admin account, which pretty much everyone who owns their own computer will be doing. But it's not a bad idea to keep games outside Program Files.

Alchenar posted:

Okay this is embarrassing but I've read the OP and am having a brain freeze.

I've just installed Skyrim Special Edition on Steam. All I want is to install the unofficial patch and SkyUI.
Allright. You're a modding newbie, so we'll keep it simple.

SKSE
http://skse.silverlock.org/
Go there and download the SE build. Unpack the .7z archive.
Go to your SkyrimSE install folder. This will probably be something like: \Steamlibrary\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim Special Edition
From the unpacked SKSE archive, copy the Data folder, skse64_1_5_80.dll, skse64_steam_loader.dll & skse64_loader.exe to your main Skyrim install folder (the one where game's executable is at).

SKSE is basically a modder's resource. It adds a fuckton of scripting functionality for modders to use. If you want to use a mod that was made using SKSE (like SkyUI), you need to have SKSE running. From now on, if you want to start the game, use skse64_loader.exe. You'll probably want to make a shortcut to your desktop or start menu.
Very important note: Whenever the game's executable is updated with a patch (when Bethesda adds poo poo to the Creation Club) SKSE will break and won't work. In Steam, set SkyrimSE to only update when you launch the game. Since you'll be using skse64_loader.exe to launch the game, you can avoid a patch until SKSE is updated (this usually takes 1 to 3 days after a patch drops).

SkyUI
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12604?tab=files
Under the tab files, hit Manual Download.
Unpack the archive you've downloaded.
Go to your Data folder. (\Steamlibrary\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data) and copy SkyUI_SE.esp & SkyUI_SE.bsa in there.

Unofficial patch
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266?tab=files
Again, hit Manual Download and unpack the archive.
Again, go to your Data folder and move the unofficial patch's files in there.
(Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - Textures.bsa, Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.bsa, Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp, Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.ini, Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.modgroups)

Now boot up the game (remember use skse64_loader.exe). In the main menu, go to Mods. You may have to use a Bethesda account at this point.
In the Mods menu, go to your loadorder (default key: T). You should see the SkyUI & Unofficial patch's plugins here. Enable them and escape out of the mod menu. When you get to the main menu, the game should tell you that mods have been added and that it needs to reload.

Voila. You should now be able to start the game with SkuUI and the Unofficial Patch working.

Here's some important stuff / concepts to keep in mind:
- Mod Manager: You just wanted to use two mods, so I had you dump your mods in the Data folder and use the ingame mod manager. If you just want to dip your feet in the pool and see what the game is about, that's fine.
If you want to add more mods, I strongly recommend dumping your current install and starting over. I recommend checking out Mod Organizer 2. Another possibility is Vortex from the Nexus site.
A very important thing that modern mod manager add is the ability to keep your data folder clean. If you place just two mods in your data folder, you won't run into problems. But say you installed 50 mods and you want to remove one, you will run into issues. A proper mod manager will save you much headache.

- Loadorder: This is the order in which the game processes your various mods as it loads. Plugins lower in the loadorder, override those above. This is something very important to pay attention to, to make sure the mods you have work correctly.
Let's say you have two mods: mod A that adds a cool dress to Ulfric. And another mod B that gives Ulfric a kickass bear. Both mods edit the same NPC. So if mod B is loaded after mod A, you'll see Ulfric's kickass beard. But you won't have that cool dress.
A very important tool to learn is SSEEdit. This is a tool that lets you see what the plugins of mods do, if different mods are incompatible with eachother and let's you create compatibility patches or do quick edits. I strongly recommend learning how to use this. I find it's the single most invaluable tool to make your modded setup works right and is stable.

- Youtube guides: Probably best to avoid them. There maybe are some good ones out there. But in general I find they make modding seem way more intimidatingly complex then it actually is. For example, the installation of SKSE. There's a 20 or 30 minute video floating around that covers that. When in reality copying some files from one folder to another folder should not take that loving long.
- Modding guides: I'm not going to say avoid them, but be sensible. The number one mistake people new to modding Bethesda-engine games make, is following some guide and installing a fuckton of mods before they know the basics of how modding works. When you do that you will at some point make a mistake. Your game will crash or not load anymore. And you will have no way to troubleshoot it because you just installed 200 mods in one batch and have no idea where or how to begin to fix it.

It's best to start slow. Don't go nuts with the various overhauls and whatnot. Install preferably one mod at a time. Test if things work in between installing mods. Pay attention to readmes and listed requirements.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 11, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Internet Kraken posted:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm in the same boat, I don't want to go through delving the nexus again ever since my mods I left for a couple years were broken and needed to be replaced, hoping for those not-a-modpack modpacks to happen.

Y'all should check out Wabbajack, it automates the process using different modding guides. You know it's good because dipshit whiners in the modding community are complaining that it is depriving them of precious attention, see: this clownshoe.

quote:

The general idea behind this program is fairly simple. Given a Mod Organizer 2 folder and profile, generate list of instructions that will allow a program to automatically recreate the contents of the folder on another machine. Think of it as replication, but without ever distributing copyrighted files or syncing data between the source and destination machine. The end result is a program that recreate a modlist on a computer while respecting the rights of the game publisher and the mod authors.

e: The only thing is it requires a premium account on Nexus before Nexus will allow you to download all the mods without restriction. I'm also not sure if there are any nice .exe files floating around made by it.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 11, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Admiral Ray posted:

Y'all should check out Wabbajack, it automates the process using different modding guides. You know it's good because dipshit whiners in the modding community are complaining that it is depriving them of precious attention, see: this clownshoe.

That is deep cut premium meltdown and I crave more.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Yes, we can all expect to hear a well though out view from someone who thinks it is balanced to add 30 percent extra ranged damage + 30 percent faster draw speed to bows for wood elves. I mean, racial traits only exist to make you feel bad unless you stick to the class/playstyle they were meant to play.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 22, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Now boot up the game (remember use skse64_loader.exe). In the main menu, go to Mods. You may have to use a Bethesda account at this point.
In the Mods menu, go to your loadorder (default key: T). You should see the SkyUI & Unofficial patch's plugins here. Enable them and escape out of the mod menu. When you get to the main menu, the game should tell you that mods have been added and that it needs to reload.

Voila. You should now be able to start the game with SkuUI and the Unofficial Patch working.

Sorry, I need follow up help. All steps done, I can see SkyUI in the mod list and it's got a big tick on it.

But it's just not actually applying. I still see the vanilla inventory. Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

e: a bit of troubleshooting - every time I restart the game it SkyUI gets deactivated, so somewhere behind the curtain it's getting turned off even when it claims to be on.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 14, 2019

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Alchenar posted:

e: a bit of troubleshooting - every time I restart the game it SkyUI gets deactivated,

How are you booting up the game?

Like, screenshot your mo /nmm / what you're clicking on

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Prokhor posted:

How are you booting up the game?

Like, screenshot your mo /nmm / what you're clicking on

I'm double clicking on a shortcut to skse64 on my desktop. (have also tested going from the game folder).

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Alchenar posted:

I'm double clicking on a shortcut to skse64 on my desktop. (have also tested going from the game folder).

Are you using a mod manager or did you just put it all into data?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Prokhor posted:

Are you using a mod manager or did you just put it all into data?

Just dumped it all into data. So for avoidance of doubt, this is what I'm seeing on loading:

e: and I've followed the instructions on the post I quoted. It's just Script extender, the unofficial patch, and SkyUI as the extras. Nothing else in the mix.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 14, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm using a mod that gives you way more Conjuration summons options and bringing a Draugr scourge lord to the party definitely helps.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Sorry, I need follow up help. All steps done, I can see SkyUI in the mod list and it's got a big tick on it.
But it's just not actually applying. I still see the vanilla inventory. Anyone got any ideas what's going on?
e: a bit of troubleshooting - every time I restart the game it SkyUI gets deactivated, so somewhere behind the curtain it's getting turned off even when it claims to be on.
Woops. I forgot that SkyUI's plugin does not have Skyrim.esm as a master. This causes the ingame mod manager to silently deactivate it like you're seeing.

You got two options:
- Move to a proper mod manager like Mod Organizer 2 (Note that unless it already got fixed, Vortex has the same issue with master-less plugin like the ingame mod manager).
- Alternatively fix SkyUI's plugin with SSEEdit. I don't actually have the time right now to properly explain how to do that, so here you go. Download that and replace the
SkyUI_SE.esp you have in your Data folder. Boot up Skyrim again via SKSE. Make sure you have SkyUI & Unofficial Patch both activated in the mod menu and it should all work.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 14, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Woops. I forgot that SkyUI's plugin does not have Skyrim.esm as a master. This causes the ingame mod manager to silently deactivate it like you're seeing.

You got two options:
- Move to a proper mod manager like Mod Organizer 2 (Note that unless it already got fixed, Vortex has the same issue with master-less plugin like the ingame mod manager).
- Alternatively fix SkyUI's plugin with SSEEdit. I don't actually have the time right now to properly explain how to do that, so here you go. Download that and replace the
SkyUI_SE.esp you have in your Data folder. Boot up Skyrim again via SKSE. Make sure you have SkyUI & Unofficial Patch both activated in the mod menu and it should all work.

You are an absolute star.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Yeah I had a lot of issues with mods randomly deactivating if I used the ingame mod manager. I just switched to the Nexus's Vortex thing and I haven't had any issues since, so I think they must've fixed that issue.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

CC update delaying into November/December. Hurray! I had it set up to automatic and so glad I got warned of an upcoming update in advance.

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 21, 2019

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

loving lol.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/28943

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man that's great, with this out you'll now have a way to be warned, when installing a mod, that the author is a complete douchebag who's most likely to be utterly unhelpful if you get a problem with their mod.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I do love that this comes from a dude who only published some minor tweaks. Several of which are compatibility patches to make two mods work together, which is the exact sort of low effort crap a proper mod pack will make obsolete.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

So, I need some goon help. I did my 7th or 8th cycle over the years of installing a shitton of mods in SE, spending a few days troubleshooting every possible conflict and then once it all works hopefully maybe this time actually play more than 30 minutes.

It's been going mostly well but there's one conflict I just can't shake off and it's driving me crazy.

I keep getting purple wolves and some other animals (not all of them), for fauna I was running SkyTEST and Skyrim Immersive Creatures (with all their respective compatibility patches), but even after disabling those mods I keep getting those drat purple wolves (they're named Tundra Wolf, Red Wolf and such, so they're coming from some mod but I haven't figured out which one, vanilla deer and some mudcrabs are fine).

I've stumbled through this process a bunch of times by now so I'm not just dumping poo poo into my Data folder but I'm not really an expert either so I'll give you my load order and my normal process for mod installing.

I install everything through MO, build a Smashed Patch with Mator, I do about 95% of my sorting with LOOT (I'm not savvy enough to do the load order on my own so I need its warnings and hand holding), I run FNIS for animations and DynDOLOD for trees and overall distant prettiness and run the game through the latest SKSE.

I did verify cache on Steam to make sure it was just vanilla missing those wolf textures.

So basically I'm stumped.

Here's my mod list, if you catch the culprit let me know and if there's other dumb poo poo that shouldn't be there you can tell me too.

https://pastebin.com/0egAx0zK

Help?

Raygereio posted:

I do love that this comes from a dude who only published some minor tweaks. Several of which are compatibility patches to make two mods work together, which is the exact sort of low effort crap a proper mod pack will make obsolete.

And having just come from wading through a mod compatibility patch hellswamp, gently caress this guy. Viva la modpack revolution.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 21, 2019

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Purple means missing textures. Go to the Archives tab of MO and make sure theyre all checked.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Washin Tong posted:

So basically I'm stumped.

Whoa I actually have the exact answer to this! The culprit is Monster Mod SE.

Take note of the files page on the nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5559?tab=files

You will see that the most recent file is Monster Mod SE 1.4 at 378.7MB. However in the old files is another file called Monster Mod SE 2019 that was posted one day earlier that contains 680.4MB. The most recent file is intended to be a patch for that older file, but he never included that instruction as far as I could tell. So download the bigger one and copy the smaller one over it, and your problem will be solved.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

MxR finally got demonetized.

https://gyazo.com/d1c9f57cfc06f22b9a044bd1fb060b7a

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Midig posted:

MxR finally got demonetized.

lol

He got 15 reviews of porn mods in first, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know who that is, did he just post videos from porny mods or something?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

He basically exists to confirm that modding is for people who want to push the envelope of what the game can be TITTY ARMOR, LIGHTSABER WEAPONS, LENSFLARE ENB, LOLOLOLOLOL SLOOTY MODS.

I mean, the demonetization is probably due to some entirely unrelated reason, but I can't help but be a little glad about it.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 21, 2019

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whoa I actually have the exact answer to this! The culprit is Monster Mod SE.

Take note of the files page on the nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5559?tab=files

You will see that the most recent file is Monster Mod SE 1.4 at 378.7MB. However in the old files is another file called Monster Mod SE 2019 that was posted one day earlier that contains 680.4MB. The most recent file is intended to be a patch for that older file, but he never included that instruction as far as I could tell. So download the bigger one and copy the smaller one over it, and your problem will be solved.

Oooh right I forgot I had that messing with the animals too. I'll try fixing it as soon as I get home. Thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I seem to remember a mod that let you just rescue Serena without visiting the dawnguard first, since I'm finally playing a vampire character it seems really out of character to be forced to talk to the legion of vampire slayer first if I want to do the vampire side. Anybody know what mod I'm talking about?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwrUSGuvng

A day late, but just saw it this morn

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

needs a mod to give it more treeeees

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Nice reminder that modding is for fun!

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Arthmoor's mad about modlist auto-installers so now the Oldrim Unofficial Patch is being distributed as an .exe to prevent it from being auto-installed. (It didn't work.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
lol. These people are unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

loool

You dont understand if I dont get my hand crafted artisinal clicks I lose my self-worth.