Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers posted:

What Sandi feared the most from her staff not shaving: crabs have infested the project! :ohdear:

More crabs! Poor Sandi! :ohdear:

e: SandisWorstNightmare.gif
https://i.imgur.com/UfNjGQ9.gifv

Quavers fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Character creator Tier 2: https://streamable.com/xrpvw

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I know everything about this game sucks poo poo but seriously what the gently caress is up with this interface, it gets worse with every iteration. I just... I have zero idea what it is you're supposed to be controlling for with these sliders.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Renting the mining ship for 7 days costs 865k UEC:

That's half the price of outright buying the ship in-game, at 1.6m UEC.

Better than spending $140 though :shrug:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

I know everything about this game sucks poo poo but seriously what the gently caress is up with this interface, it gets worse with every iteration. I just... I have zero idea what it is you're supposed to be controlling for with these sliders.

It's almost like they are trying too hard to make a "modern," pseudo-minimalist design.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Star Citizen posted:

"Time to go spelunking! We have added 15 caves to the game, 5 on each of Hurston, Aberdeen, and Daymar. One of those bodies can be located using a missing person mission (Aberdeen) but we want you to try and find the rest on your own. A big part of assessing caves is assessing how difficult or easy they are to find. Find some caves and explore them thoroughly. Let us know if they are too easy or too hard to find, how difficult you found the traversal paths through the caves (Many involve jumping and climbing) and how valuable resource collection in caves is relative to the time needed to find and explore

Okay thread, here's a math problem for you.

There are 5 caves per entire loving planet. They are not sign-posted in any way. They are approximately 10 meters wide. Let's assume that the entire server population, like say 1,000 players, was all simultaneously on a single planet searching for caves. Each of them can search an area that is maybe 500 meters wide, at a speed of ~200mph. The planet is roughly the size of the moon.

What is the probability that they would find even one? What is the probability that CIG didn't even release this feature?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

What, you're saying you don't pay 20,000 dollars for a 1-week rental on a new car?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Is everyone on twitter a wannabe influencer now?

Does anyone still just twit about poo poo they actually enjoy?

Web 2.0 is a mistake and a failure.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

There are 5 caves per entire loving planet. They are not sign-posted in any way. They are approximately 10 meters wide. Let's assume that the entire server population, like say 1,000 players, was all simultaneously on a single planet searching for caves. Each of them can search an area that is maybe 500 meters wide, at a speed of ~200mph. The planet is roughly the size of the moon.

What is the probability that they would find even one? What is the probability that CIG didn't even release this feature?

The single-minded focus on this "feature," which wouldn't even be worth a mention for any other game featuring caves (roughly all of them), is more suspicious to me than anything else. I think that "caves" and the new "FPS level" are interesting in that they've received heavy focus, are PU specific, and are built into the engine or at least can be quickly extrapolated from bullshit they've already made.

I think it's to create the illusion that the PU is "coming along." We know that Chris is only working on, and only cares about, Squadron 42. Citizen-Conned is coming up. My guess is they're going to use the con to go hot and heavy with SQ42 in order to assuage the Calders, and any blowback along the lines of "what about Star Citizen, nobody gives a gently caress about your single-player game you frauds" CIG can say "WHOA, whoa, settle down there, haven't you read about CAVES? Haven't you read about FPS LEVEL? The PU is on 8.4.3.0 now and bigger numbers prove progress, even if the game is regressing!"

This will work. In fact, everything works, which makes me wonder why CIG bothers strategizing in the first place.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Star Citizen: Scamming 2.0 but Tier-0 Development

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers posted:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Star Citizen: Having fun in the game isn't the primary goal right now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gum posted:

Star Citizen: Having fun in the game isn't the primary goal right now

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Star Citizen: buying a $4.6m mansion with backer money is better than renting one

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The scam looks different from each vantage point. For example, this intrepid commando thinks he's helping to "test the game."

The passive-aggressive tone, combined with his laid-back attempt to "educate" the less-informed, runs through this post like marbling through a fine steak.

Commando, take your time getting that coffee. When you get back, sit down and try to understand that you got conned by a career fraud. It won't be fun to hear, but fun isn't the primary goal right now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Every time you want your players to test a feature, you should make it as difficult as possible to access that feature. That's just game development, baby.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Armadillo Tank posted:

This map is likely a sq42 derivative. Maybe asteroid caves or something. Have they done anything patchwise to star marine before this recently?

It's uhhh this place

Wait sorry no that's from a different game. It's this place:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's uhhh this place

Wait sorry no that's from a different game. It's this place:

Excited for Star Marine to get wallrunning

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Excited for Star Marine to get wallrunning

love too call down my titan and have it clip through the level geometry and explode.

lol seriously though how can anyone look at this and not just immediately start laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNDl2usOoQ

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

1stGear posted:

Every time you want your players to test a feature, you should make it as difficult as possible to access that feature. That's just game development, baby.
Metrics don't lie. Making a feature inaccessible reduces bug reports on that feature by nearly 100%. Guaranteed bug free code first time, every time.

Chris Roberts really is a genius. He's saving PC gaming and software engineering.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

They will be found within the day.

Did you never see how people found Guardian ruins in ED in weeks and that was over whole systems, they didn't even know the system or the planet.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Sarsapariller posted:

On a planet/moon with a radius of 5,000km => they're 100% probable to find all of them within 1,962.5 hours. Or 1,962,500 man/woman/else/* hours if you want them in total.

A 1 in 100 chance to find one cave within 196 hours. 1 in 1.000 within 20 hours. Or 1,000 player being logged in for the whole time, not counting crashes, refueling (is that even a thing?).

The calculation is not done with proper probability math. Because I just can't be bothered.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

They will be found within the day.

Did you never see how people found Guardian ruins in ED in weeks and that was over whole systems, they didn't even know the system or the planet.

Elite Dangerous has hundreds of thousands of players

Star Citizen has hundreds of players

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"emergent gameplay" - because there is no other content

"unedited footage" - but conveninently started after the half hour or meeting up and travelling

"when are they adding parachutes" - well, now you've said it, its on the to-do list, along with everything else

"There are doors in the bottom of the vanguard" - NO! DONT USE THE DOORS!

Ah, landed and now... and now we have a bog standard FPS arena vs bots... except, these bots look, erm, crap. They barely react.

Oh, look, friendly fire is on.... shame.

He blames server latency, he didn't mean to shoot his teammate.

Back to the ship, because of totally organic and not at all staged attack. Am i being too skeptical?

Janky movement ensues.

Now flying, fighting back... combat is still turrets in space.

Still, its not all bad. I mean, i do like the damage model and erm... well, graphics are ok. I'm sure there are other things to like.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tank Boy Ken posted:

1 in 1.000 within 20 hours. Or 1,000

:argh:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Summary of leaked rental prices:

Colour me NOT surprised. :smuggo: Crobo and CIG aren't going to trash their main source of revenue.

But it's always fun to see how little respect Crobo has for the backers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeletors_condom posted:

He did promise to treat them with the same respect he would a publisher. He didn't lie about that and told them to their face.

Its not CR's fault they totally misunderstood what he meant.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

Colour me NOT surprised. :smuggo: Crobo and CIG aren't going to trash their main source of revenue.

:reddit: The rental prices can't be that high, cos they are too high. They will get reduced.

:reddit: Stop giving feedback. No I'm not freaking out, you're freaking out.

:reddit: Now I'm downvoting this post to hide this official FUD :smuggo:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

I think I can see why Chris' venture in the car rental industry was short and unsuccessful.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Quavers posted:

:reddit: The rental prices can't be that high, cos they are too high. They will get reduced.

They just need a bit more time to theorycraft. What extras are going to come on a rental ship? Maybe rentals are mega-insured and you get an instant new one when it gets destroyed since the rental companies have a huge stock and don't need to wait for a new one to be manufactured, which is better than LTI and what if you can get a deposit back and

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

On a planet/moon with a radius of 5,000km => they're 100% probable to find all of them within 1,962.5 hours. Or 1,962,500 man/woman/else/* hours if you want them in total.

A 1 in 100 chance to find one cave within 196 hours. 1 in 1.000 within 20 hours. Or 1,000 player being logged in for the whole time, not counting crashes, refueling (is that even a thing?).

The calculation is not done with proper probability math. Because I just can't be bothered.

Lol, the probability of a paid streamerer to find a cave during his first search is 100%, like what kind of loving kindergarten math are you using?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Quavers posted:

I don't know about you, but I love to rent cars for 1 day at 20% of the sticker price, like a bare-bones Honda CRV for $5000/day.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Beet Wagon posted:

love too call down my titan and have it clip through the level geometry and explode.

lol seriously though how can anyone look at this and not just immediately start laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNDl2usOoQ

Damnation, I really should stop being bothered by the way the ship moves in relation to the background, I mean it clearly doesn't bother the backers (of whom I am one)... but Chris Almighty, it's like if you squint hard enough, you can almost see the lollipop stick moving the spaceship model around in front of the green screen.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
:reddit: An ingenu writes:

quote:

Long time lurker on this sub, and I know talking about this with 3.7 on Evocati this is bad timing to talk about it. I've been a citizen since within the first year of Star Citizens announcement I bought a freelancer, and since then I've upgraded it to an MIS. In that time I bought an Aurora for my brother when he eventually decided to give it a go, as he was too much a sceptic of the whole project to dive in himself. I've since upgraded that to an Avenger Titan.

Throughout this time I've dipped in and out of the game with each new update but without anyone else I didn't spend much time other than admiring the aesthetics.

Today, I finally got my brother on it and we have it a genuine go. Firstly, the community in the chat were super helpful, in a game with weak tutorials and tips, the other players were incredibly helpful.

But... What gives with the whole waiting simulator. Things I had to wait for :

Reclaiming my broken ship (16 minutes)
    Quantum jumping to ArcCorp (6 minutes)
    Waiting for the train (40 seconds)
    Travelling in train (1 minute)
    Spooling, calibrating and jumping (10 seconds)
    Using elevators (40 seconds).
    Climbing out the atmosphere just to jump (2 minutes)

I know immersion is a key factor in this game, but there needs to be a sweet spot. I spent so much time literally waiting with no other gameplay to do that the 10 seconds to spool was tedious. I know there's still fine tuning and refinement, but I dunno. I'm quite shocked with how much nothingness there was (and I don't mean the literal vastness of space). Some of these wait times I genuinely can't see being beneficial to gameplay.

Whilst I have someone's attention though, I just want to know, I tried multiple times with 2 different ships taking off from Area18 and they kept flying out of control and flipping upside down, I wouldn't even have to touch the keyboard. Is this a bug other people have experienced or am I just doing something without realising.

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d7h19a/whats_with_the_scifi_waiting_simulator/

Maybe Star Citizen isn't for you, commando.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I'm one of those sad saps that backed a concept ship. The RSI Orion. I had the opportunity to go for a refund, and decided not to. Hell, i keep the Orion as my desktop wallpaper to remind me NOT to invest that much money in kickstarter games and the like again. (Ironically, the one time that it convinced me NOT to invest was the BATTLETECH kickstarter. Was going to invest and get a House Steiner flight jacket. Thankfully the game came out and is great).

Ok, that aside. So, if we assume for the moment that the PU will eventually become a thing.

Early in the game's stretch goals, back when Stretch Goals actually unlocked new ships rather than being driven by new ship sales, each ship when unlocked had a separate stretch goal for being usable in the PU.
(Example: Bengal Carrier unlocked at 5.5 mil. Added to PU at 6mil)

So, if the PU does eventually become a thing, do we have ANY guarantee that ships we've purchased will actually be usable in it?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

akkristor posted:

I'm one of those sad saps that backed a concept ship. The RSI Orion. I had the opportunity to go for a refund, and decided not to. Hell, i keep the Orion as my desktop wallpaper to remind me NOT to invest that much money in kickstarter games and the like again. (Ironically, the one time that it convinced me NOT to invest was the BATTLETECH kickstarter. Was going to invest and get a House Steiner flight jacket. Thankfully the game came out and is great).

Ok, that aside. So, if we assume for the moment that the PU will eventually become a thing.

Early in the game's stretch goals, back when Stretch Goals actually unlocked new ships rather than being driven by new ship sales, each ship when unlocked had a separate stretch goal for being usable in the PU.
(Example: Bengal Carrier unlocked at 5.5 mil. Added to PU at 6mil)

So, if the PU does eventually become a thing, do we have ANY guarantee that ships we've purchased will actually be usable in it?

:alexa:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
You have Chris Roberts' word, which is better than a guarantee.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

skeletors_condom posted:

To put this in context for people not playing the game: The average mission earns about 5k right now and takes 15 minutes. It is not possible to compound this with harder missions, or big trade runs, because both of those things are permanently broken. The most I've ever earned in-game is 100k and that was during the brief era when drug running was an option. The money in your account is reset every 3 months.

These ships are effectively un-rentable, which is what was expected after the in-game purchase prices became known. Renting a cutlass for 24 hours would require a week of painstaking work in ships that were already substantially better. Renting a 600i is flat-out impossible.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

To put this in context for people not playing the game: The average mission earns about 5k right now and takes 15 minutes. It is not possible to compound this with harder missions, or big trade runs, because both of those things are permanently broken. The most I've ever earned in-game is 100k and that was during the brief era when drug running was an option. The money in your account is reset every 3 months.

These ships are effectively un-rentable, which is what was expected after the in-game purchase prices became known. Renting a cutlass for 24 hours would require a week of painstaking work in ships that were already substantially better. Renting a 600i is flat-out impossible.

What you think someone might not want to grind star citizen missions for 118.44 hours minimum? It's only barely under five uninterrupted days of your life! That's not more valuable than a short stint in a 600i!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

akkristor posted:

There is a 100% chance that a ship with the same name as the one you bought will eventually make it into the "game" if it eventually happens.