Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FoldableHuman posted:

As funny as it sounded they'd never actually verified their own accounts, which is somehow even funnier.

oh i guess that exp-wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Youtube were the fakes all along!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nationalize youtube instead.

Hmm, can you inter-nationalize something? So it belongs to the world?

Make it a department of the UN? :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kim Justice posted:

Not only that but Joe also had that bad interview with Geoff Keighley at the VGA's in the same year which could have certainly screwed him up way worse than being next to Spoony shouting "BETRAYAL". Hell, he did a lot of things back then that could have made him a person that the industry wasn't ever going to take seriously...still ended up fine though. LordKat could have definitely rode out the storm - yeah, it might have taken a bit of time for the heat to cool off perhaps, but he could have. But instead he went a different path thinking that he was blacklisted forever or some poo poo.
It's amazing how much Lordkat killed his own community that was pretty strong for like 3 years and then that Spoony poo poo happened and it all started to go downhill.

In the end he was just as bad as Big Fazeek

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Darth Walrus posted:

Make it a department of the UN? :v:

:hai:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

That last one makes me doubly laugh because if there's been any crackdown on conservative content it's because they've been gaming said "machine learning" to infest youtube. If anything it's been the opposite recently and they've started trying to curate their mass recommendation videos for relative quality and not "libs being triggered - a compilation" videos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
From Giant bomb intern to youtube globetrotter to blinking white guy meme, Drew Scanlon has been kinda Forrest Gumping his way through things the last couple years and he's been doing marathons for MS charity, and CNN gave him a shoutout. Very cool.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The Nostalgia Critic's latest video is a musical review of Pink Floyd's The Wall. The only reason I know this is because ralphthemoviemaker put up a Patreon-exclusive video where he watches and reacts to it. Holy poo poo, Doug may have hit a new low. If you're not already a Patreon supporter of Ralph I would highly recommend throwing a buck his way to watch his reaction video (and certainly don't give Doug Walker any views).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just the fact that he thinks he can talk about Pink Floyd in any capacity pisses me off.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

hey, critic! leave them tracks alone!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It sucks how that guy has tons of money, but it rules that he wastes it all on stupid poo poo and is probably unhappy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It sucks how that guy has tons of money, but it rules that he wastes it all on stupid poo poo and is probably unhappy.

Are we talking about Notch? Heyyoooooo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just the fact that he thinks he can talk about Pink Floyd in any capacity pisses me off.

Well, he can't. I tried watching that video and I think it's even worse then his first musical review. Someone really has to tell him you need good singers and dancers to pull off a musical and he has neither. And is neither.

It did remind me that Pink Floyd exists and I like some of their music, so it's not totally bad. I'd give it an 11/100 on my personal scale. (His first musical review got a 25/100 by the way, mostly thanks to the novelty.)

Also I have no idea what that review was about, since my mind kept slipping off into other mental dimensions while it was running. It sure felt surreal, though. Probably not in the way the Nostalgia Critic intended, though.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Please don't give Doug clicks just to poo poo on him.

Related. Please people stop posting links with no explanation as to who or what it is. I don't want to give chuds any clout.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Anything Pink Floyd after DSOTM is literally my least favourite music ever, and I still don't think it deserves Doug. That's just too much.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arcsquad12 posted:

My dad is a big fan of Pink Floyd, as am I (though he's not that big of a fan of The Wall movie, and I don't think I've actually seen it from beginning-to-end). The notion of the Nostalgia Critic making a musical review of the movie alone I find sacrilegious.

It's also a sign he really is running out of things to cover, since he started out covering '80s & '90s films and TV, and while that movie came out in '82, I don't think it really fits with the same demographic who grew up with Captain N and Saved by the Bell.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
lol Doug Walker

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

My dad is a big fan of Pink Floyd, as am I (though he's not that big of a fan of The Wall movie, and I don't think I've actually seen it from beginning-to-end). The notion of the Nostalgia Critic making a musical review of the movie alone I find sacrilegious.

It's also a sign he really is running out of things to cover, since he started out covering '80s & '90s films and TV, and while that movie came out in '82, I don't think it really fits with the same demographic who grew up with Captain N and Saved by the Bell.

as someone who checks his page. he has been running out of stuff for the last 4 or 5 years. its mostly weird bottom of the barrel poo poo or just weird poo poo or genuinly decent stuff that he either likes or has a contrarian opinion.

i mean the stupid fucker trapped himself in twilight zone Sisyphus hell for years now. plus money won't last forever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kim Justice posted:

Anything Pink Floyd after DSOTM is literally my least favourite music ever, and I still don't think it deserves Doug. That's just too much.

I really like A Momentary Lapse of Reason. but it's a different beast at this point.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean the stupid fucker trapped himself in twilight zone Sisyphus hell for years now. plus money won't last forever.

I think only recent NC episode I've watched was the one he did on Movie 43.

Looking at a wiki list of his most recent episode, he covered some stuff that fits with his original theme (X-Men Animated Series, the That Darn Cat remake, The Black Cauldron), but also stuff like Percy Jackson, the new Kim Possible, and...the Max Payne movie? :psyduck:

"There was something disturbingly familiar about the letter bore me. The handwriting was all pretty curves"
"You're in a Nostalgic Critic video, Max."
"The truth was burning green crack through my brain. Actors in bad costumes acting out poorly blocked skits. Clips of terrible movies shown with inane commentary, and ear-piercing screams mixed with gunshot sound effects."
"I was in a Nostalgic Critic video. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This might sound bizarre, but I don't really blame Doug for wanting to axe the Nostalgia Critic and for trying to do Demo Reel.

I sort of compare it with Red Letter Media and Plinkett, or (to a lesser extent) with James Rolfe and the AVGN. They started out as one-off gimmicks that evolved into their main draw, and while it made them successful, I always got the impression that they got tired of it and wanted to pursue other projects. RLM started out doing movies, and they kinda-sorta managed to drop Plinkett Reviews with Half in the Bag and Wheel of the Worst. With James Rolfe, I think I maybe he doesn't resent the character, but I remember before the AVGN movie came out, he talked about taking a long break after it was done, and I got the impression he was getting burned out with it.

It's just kind of depressing, because he thought the NC had run its course and he decided to retire the character, but it not only caused his numbers to drop, but the rest of CA's as well. So he brings the character back, and proceeds to run it into the ground (I mean, I guess you could say that he could have done better so as not to turn himself into a living meme, but then that might be the only thing keeping him afloat at this point.)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 22, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s a weak coward who surrounds himself with even worse people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess I can thank this thread for learning that, and also that Brad Jones is worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

This might sound bizarre, but I don't really blame Doug for wanting to axe the Nostalgia Critic and for trying to do Demo Reel.

I sort of compare it with Red Letter Media and Plinkett, or (to a lesser extent) with James Rolfe and the AVGN. They started out as one-off gimmicks that evolved into their main draw, and while it made them successful, I always got the impression that they got tired of it and wanted to pursue other projects. RLM started out doing movies, and they kinda-sorta managed to drop Plinkett Reviews with Half in the Bag and Wheel of the Worst. With James Rolfe, I think I maybe he doesn't resent the character, but I remember before the AVGN movie came out, he talked about taking a long break after it was done, and I got the impression he was getting burned out with it.

It's just kind of depressing, because he thought the NC had run its course and he decided to retire the character, but it not only caused his numbers to drop, but the rest of CA's as well. So he brings the character back, and proceeds to run it into the ground (I mean, I guess you could say that he could have done better so as not to turn himself into a living meme, but then that might be the only thing keeping him afloat at this point.)

this. rolfe and the RLM crew have enough talent and interests to pull off different stuff. like i think rolfes best stuff is his movie retrospectives and just talking about film or books. its interesting. RLM have mostly great banter and you can tell they ar all pretty good friends who have fun talking about weird poo poo. walker just isn't that funny outside of the character and when he tries to do the calm nerd stuff it always comes off as faux.

He’s a weak coward who surrounds himself with even worse people.

i don't think anyone dissagrees with that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. rolfe and the RLM crew have enough talent and interests to pull off different stuff. like i think rolfes best stuff is his movie retrospectives and just talking about film or books. its interesting. RLM have mostly great banter and you can tell they ar all pretty good friends who have fun talking about weird poo poo. walker just isn't that funny outside of the character and when he tries to do the calm nerd stuff it always comes off as faux.

Yeah. Take RLM's Re:View on Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Mike and Jay got it, that it was both went note for note with the original AND a parody of the original AND a parody of sequels in general and a whole bunch of other stuff besides. Doug would shriek about a VEGETABLE Gremlin and a LADY Gremlin and LIGHTNING Gremlin and then I dunno shoot at Casper the Friendly Ghost or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Take RLM's Re:View on Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Mike and Jay got it, that it was both went note for note with the original AND a parody of the original AND a parody of sequels in general and a whole bunch of other stuff besides. Doug would shriek about a VEGETABLE Gremlin and a LADY Gremlin and LIGHTNING Gremlin and then I dunno shoot at Casper the Friendly Ghost or something.

yeah and while i get different strokes for different folks, i feel like doug is super behind the curve at this point. all his associates either kept doing what they are doing but with changes or focus or moved on to deeper stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah. I mean Phelous' movie reviews are the closest I follow to the old format but Phelan has never really tried to frame himself as a definitive voice on anything and is much better at comedy due to it (though his style is pretty divisive.)

He's also expanded quite a bit beyond the bad horror movies he started from with the toy stuff or very obscure tie-in specials to nostslogic properties.

Heck even when he covers horror now, it's usually a movie he at least somewhat likes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah. I mean Phelous' movie reviews are the closest I follow to the old format but Phelan has never really tried to frame himself as a definitive voice on anything and is much better at comedy due to it (though his style is pretty divisive.)

He's also expanded quite a bit beyond the bad horror movies he started from with the toy stuff or very obscure tie-in specials to nostslogic properties.

Heck even when he covers horror now, it's usually a movie he at least somewhat likes.

I think why Phelous's videos work or hold up better (depending on what it is you're talking about), since he's more sardonic or flippant with his commentary and jokes. Like you said, he also benefits from branching out into covering other things like bootleg toys or terrible animated cartoons.

At time I think about trying to do some kind of internet video review, and in my mind's eye, if I were to do a movie review, I imagine it being akin to something like one of Doug's or Phelous's videos (in the sense that it's a summary/commentary of the film from beginning-to-end). It just seems to be a matter of how it's executed, and if it's done well, it can work alright.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm kind of hesitant to post this given the reaction to the recent Knudson video, but Atrocity Guide (don't be scared off by the name) made a recent video on Ulillillia, which is weirdly heart warming? I just love him.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

She sounds like Phoebe Judge. It's not a good thing or a bad thing, it's neutral.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Kim Justice posted:

I haven't gone deep on Floyd yet. What's wrong with it?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Shut the fuckity gently caress up everything from Wish you were Here to The Wall was as legendary as the earlier albums. :argh:
If we're talking singles I liked On the Turning Away and The Division Bell past those.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

He already started to run out like 10 loving years ago. Since then he has reviewed tons of games from after the 2000-divide. He is now more the Bad Clown Critic, as "Nostalgia" doesn't really cut it if you can't resist modern movies

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I would like to know if Susan Wojcicki has considered resigning as Youtube's CEO yet. It seems like most of the poo poo with youtube really started with her tenure, and she's not cut out for this job. What sloppy administration.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Team Four Star posted this to Reddit in response to a recent video they made where they announced they'd canceled their Bojack Unbound Abridged movie.

quote:

Hey folks. I want to clear some things up, because the update today was a bit too vague.

We've given the impression that we dropped Bojack because it was bad, but... Truth be told? It's not the quality of Bojack that's the problem.

Bojack as a film isn't actually that bad. It's got a lot of beautifully animated fight scenes, one of the most impressive transformations in the series from Gohan, a pretty decent premise, and (in the Japanese version) some amazing music.

But one of its biggest issues is the absolute lack of conversational dialogue and exposition; it's a very streamlined movie that doesn't offer a lot of room for banter and subversion.

Worse yet is Bojack being a non-character in his own film. He has a handful of actual dialogue, and much of that are just tepid one-liners. His henchmen get it even worse; there's little to no room to make anything new or interesting with them. They're just there to beat up the heroes and then get murdered by Gohan.

As such, we struggled to find a way to change the movie up or even lampoon it, and constantly just... felt like we were rewriting the scenes to be slightly funnier. It kept happening, where we'd drudge ourselves through a scene just to find ourselves, "It's good enough" or "We'll go back later and maybe we'll have something better".

Which sucks, because every time we felt like we had a truly solid idea, we'd find it untenable due to the constraints of the footage. The last time we'd felt so stifled was Broly, but we spent almost twice the amount of time on the Bojack script and could only figure out the first 2/5 before we realized... we were miserable.

Because... and this may be the most pertinent thing I say here...

We're burnt out on Abridged content.

We're finding ourselves returning to wells and struggling with the content, especially following Season 3, and we want to get away from it. We need to try new things, like Unabridged, the DragonShortZ, the X in X Minutes videos. Hell, the X in X Minutes videos have me more excited than I've been in a while because they're giving us the opportunity to finally turn our comedic strengths outward, to new material, material we also have passion for.

And the DragonShortZ allow us to play with this franchise we've loved so dearly for YEARS in new ways! In our OWN way! (And, bonus, a COMPLETELY LEGALLY AND MORALLY MONETIZABLE way.)

And Unabridged is shaping up to be one of the most fun, educational experiences we've ever had; we're learning so much about film-making, improving our acting, our writing; each episode we've worked on has been progressively better than the last, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited as gently caress to share it's weird surrealist comedy with you.

We're finally making new, different, and fun things happen, without all the constraints we've had for over a decade. We've been working on DBZA for 11 years. And while I love it more than anything else in my life... we need some space.

(Also, and I'll be frank about this: DBZA is a nightmare for our professional lives, and while we fully believe it's parody, top to bottom, it's made it increasingly difficult to operate on a professional level outside of our own team, and constantly puts our channel at risk due to copyright strikes and the threat of legal action.)

I'm sorry that Buu is still a ways off. I'm sorry that we're keeping you waiting. And frankly, if you are a Subscriber and/or a Patron and you're not getting what you want? I'm not going to blame you or whine if you decide that we're not worth your time anymore. If you're just here for DBZA and the Gaming channel, and you're not getting what you want? I get it.

All I ask-- not expect, just ask-- is that you give the ShortZ a chance and wait for us to fix up the Gaming channel. We've set up a new stream schedule and are working on recording some new material.

But if you're not interested, I get it. We used to be running on all cylinders, and now we're pulled into the pit while we retool things and prep new projects, finding our feet in a world where DBZA isn't front and center, and we're obviously not killin' it like we used to.

Do what you feel is best. We're going to try and make content that we love, but I'm not going to beg or bargain.

Thank you for your time.
Source

On one hand, I am really bummed out by this announcement. It feels a lot like what happened with Rooster teeth when they expanded beyond Red Vs Blue where it felt like the main reason people came to their content was getting canned for something else. Same thing with RLM expanding beyond the Plinkett videos, or even Doug Walker trying to do something other than Nostalgia Critic. You try to branch out and people only want you to do the same thing over and over.

On the other hand, creator burnout is absolutely a thing and none of the aforementioned creators have had to deal with the near constant stress from Toei Animation or any of the other rights holders threatening to shitcan their fair use work every single day for a decade, and that has got to be demoralising at the best of times. It has to suck when the thing you're best known for is also the thing that is preventing industry bigwigs from taking you seriously. And with YouTube imploding channels on a regular basis it seems like a nightmare to do anything.

So while I'm definitely disappointed that they canceled the film parody and that the Buu Saga episodes are probably going to be shunted to the backburner (never mind any of the movies after Bojack Unbound) I don't blame them for stepping back and trying to make something new. I just wish it didn't have to happen.

But then I'm not TFS and I don't have to deal with this poo poo the way they do.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Team Four Star posted this to Reddit in response to a recent video they made where they announced they'd canceled their Bojack Unbound Abridged movie.

Source

On one hand, I am really bummed out by this announcement. It feels a lot like what happened with Rooster teeth when they expanded beyond Red Vs Blue where it felt like the main reason people came to their content was getting canned for something else. Same thing with RLM expanding beyond the Plinkett videos, or even Doug Walker trying to do something other than Nostalgia Critic. You try to branch out and people only want you to do the same thing over and over.

On the other hand, creator burnout is absolutely a thing and none of the aforementioned creators have had to deal with the near constant stress from Toei Animation or any of the other rights holders threatening to shitcan their fair use work every single day for a decade, and that has got to be demoralising at the best of times. It has to suck when the thing you're best known for is also the thing that is preventing industry bigwigs from taking you seriously. And with YouTube imploding channels on a regular basis it seems like a nightmare to do anything.

So while I'm definitely disappointed that they canceled the film parody and that the Buu Saga episodes are probably going to be shunted to the backburner (never mind any of the movies after Bojack Unbound) I don't blame them for stepping back and trying to make something new. I just wish it didn't have to happen.

But then I'm not TFS and I don't have to deal with this poo poo the way they do.

I was very confused until I realized it wasn't Bojack as in the horse

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Every Abridged creator has to deal with this sort of thing and it can't be fun after a while. That's why so many series just stop, because what you think is the hobby becomes a job and if you want it to be any kind of quality it's a lot of effort.

I am kinda surprised Toei hasn't looked at some of the t-shirts TFS sells and go 'hey wait no.'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Source

i always though Toei liked them or at least liked them enough to let stuff pass for the most part. i know they hired a few of the voice actors or were at least in talks. but yeah, it sucks but i got good laughs from them and if they want to take a break or quite now, least they end on a high note.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Funimation likes them, and has hired some of their actors. The guy that did Dr. Gero and Cooler for DBZA is the VA for Gecko Moria Funimation dub of One Piece, as an example. Also one of the male voices you can pick in Dragon Ball Xenoverse is literally just the Abridged Nappa Voice. I don’t know about how Toei sees them, but I know most of the time when a DBZA video is taken down it’s usually Toei getting the blame. I know Japan is way different about Copyright vs. Fan Productions so I always assumed that DBZA was coasting on that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always though Toei liked them or at least liked them enough to let stuff pass for the most part. i know they hired a few of the voice actors or were at least in talks. but yeah, it sucks but i got good laughs from them and if they want to take a break or quite now, least they end on a high note.

They've actually done some profession dub work as a group. The english dub for the movie Hells was done by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6-hoRYEyQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am tim! posted:

Funimation likes them, and has hired some of their actors. The guy that did Dr. Gero and Cooler for DBZA is the VA for Gecko Moria Funimation dub of One Piece, as an example. Also one of the male voices you can pick in Dragon Ball Xenoverse is literally just the Abridged Nappa Voice. I don’t know about how Toei sees them, but I know most of the time when a DBZA video is taken down it’s usually Toei getting the blame. I know Japan is way different about Copyright vs. Fan Productions so I always assumed that DBZA was coasting on that.

i mean i feel like they kinda figured it got people back into the series and let most of it go.