Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RBR isn't free (officially) so you might want to edit that out for :filez:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does Dirt Rally 2 with all the DLC contain all of the cars and areas from Dirt Rally 1? I'd rather not have both installed if I choose to buy Dirt Rally 2

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Does Dirt Rally 2 with all the DLC contain all of the cars and areas from Dirt Rally 1? I'd rather not have both installed if I choose to buy Dirt Rally 2

Not all the cars I think, but only a few are missing. Definitely all the locations though.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

GutBomb posted:

Not all the locations are added yet. Greece and Finland have not been added yet I think. Most cars should be there. The 2010s WRC cars are the most noticeable omission, although the R5s are very similar. The licencing situation is unfortunate. The game could definitely use the current high aero/hp WRC cars.

The Pikes Peak hillclimb and associated cars are also missing due to exclusivity to the Grand Turisimo franchise

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Greece was just added last week, Finland will be the next stage to be released.

Speaking of WRC, anybody play WRC 8 and have any impressions on it?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I ended up getting it and all the DLC since it’s on sale right now for $60 for everything currently available. I have an oculus rift S but I bought it on Steam anyway and playing through steam vr works fine. Performance wasn’t that great until I turned shadows down but that’s pretty much every VR game anyway.

Reviews are pretty dire right now because of the DLC situation and the vr requirement for the steam version buy at least for me the steam vr thing is a nonissue.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Kodo posted:

Greece was just added last week, Finland will be the next stage to be released.

Speaking of WRC, anybody play WRC 8 and have any impressions on it?

Jimmy broadbent did a stream on it the other day. Said the tarmac handling is loads better than DR2, gravel is similar, Co driver sounds aren't as good, ffb is good. Car variety is less, but he likes the stages way more, says they feel more polished and engaging.

I haven't played it personally, nor have I played DR or DR2

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That is absolutely normal. Racing is about muscle memory. You have a ton of finger-based muscle memory built up around the controller. You have zero for your arms, legs and feet.

Everyone who switches from controller to wheel and pedals goes through this. Your times will recover in a couple weeks (not hours) and you’ll eventually get better than you were on the controller.

Focus on slowing down and staying on-track first. Once you have that down, then work on getting faster

Don’t get discouraged, it’s something everyone has to deal with. The wheel and pedals are the one true path, you just need to get used to them.

Thank you, I'll try following your advice.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
RBR is fantastic, and also unforgiving. But I love it so.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

njsykora posted:

RBR isn't free (officially) so you might want to edit that out for :filez:.

It seems like RBR is really hard to actually buy right now? I could be wrong on that (please let me know if I am) but since most of what I can find is overpriced used copies on Amazon, I think it's okay for these to stay up for now. But that said, this is not a greenlight to go wild on :filez: stuff. Thanks y'all!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Can someone with a Fanatec CSL Elite give me the measurements of the base unit? The drill template only has the width and length, and I need the height. It'll be a couple of weeks before I have one and I just want to throw together a cardboard mockup so I can put together the shelf on the rig I'm building.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Beet Wagon posted:

It seems like RBR is really hard to actually buy right now? I could be wrong on that (please let me know if I am) but since most of what I can find is overpriced used copies on Amazon, I think it's okay for these to stay up for now. But that said, this is not a greenlight to go wild on :filez: stuff. Thanks y'all!

From Wikipedia posted:

Warthog was sold to Gizmondo, who went bankrupt in 2006. Since the release, the publisher SCi purchased Eidos Interactive in an all-share offer, winning a bidding war from then-former EA man John Riccitiello and Eidos management – though they, in turn, would be purchased by Japanese publisher Square Enix in 2009.

It's not full on abandonware, but it's pretty well abandoned at this point, it seems. :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you can't pay money to whoever owns it for a new copy, then pirating and buying used is pretty much the same thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

If you can't pay money to whoever owns it for a new copy, then pirating and buying used is pretty much the same thing.

I'm of two minds on this one. Obviously in neither case does the publisher, developer, or anyone else responsible for that game's existence get money, so from that standpoint they're equal. There are still differences.

If I buy a legitimate used copy of the game, I get the moral warm and fuzzy (however small it may be) for doing it all legit and someone else gets money for a game they didn't want anymore. I also might get some or all of the other things that physically came with the game

Of course if I pirate such an "abandonware" title I get it for free and no one loses anything, unless the person selling the used copy really needed that money and was unable to find any other interested buyers. One could even make an argument that popularity in pirate land could help make the case for bringing an old title back to market or even doing a remake. That's probably stretching a bit, but it seems plausible that the rightsholders are looking at those numbers where they have no idea what's happening on the resale market.

Not really taking a position here, just throwing thoughts out.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Just got a Fanatec Clubsport with all the upgrades. Wow, this thing is amazing, but man, I am slow as hell now, upgrading from a 2003 Logitech Momo. All of the different feeling feedback cues, the actual feeling of the momentum and sway of the cars, and the lack of ability to go lock to lock in a quick 270 degrees is really throwing me off. I've been away from simracing since 2009, with a bit spent in Dirt Rally and like twice a year in Assetto Corsa.

Back then, I was finishing pickup races in NR03 half a lap behind Denny Hamlin. I won my AOD league's 2004 championship. Now, I'm mid pack in D-class, which is the class in which I left off in iRacing a decade ago. Yea, iRacing was too spendy for me, heh. I'm older now, not as quick, but I think that I can come back a bit.

Any tips, other than turning laps? The tire and physics model just feels so different from the old days. I used to be able to know where my car would end up at the exit of a corner based on my entry to the corner.

It's gonna need some work to get back to that level, but any summaries of lines/brake/throttle strategies that don't work compared to the old days, and stuff that does, would help a lot.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 21, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mach420 posted:

Just got a Fanatec Clubsport with all the upgrades. Wow, this thing is amazing, but man, I am slow as hell now, upgrading from a 2003 Logitech Momo. All of the different feeling feedback cues, the actual feeling of the momentum and sway of the cars, and the lack of ability to go lock to lock in a quick 270 degrees is really throwing me off. I've been away from simracing since 2009, with a bit spent in Dirt Rally and like twice a year in Assetto Corsa.

Back then, I was finishing pickup races in NR03 half a lap behind Denny Hamlin. I won my AOD league's 2004 championship. Now, I'm mid pack in D-class, which is the class in which I left off in iRacing a decade ago. Yea, iRacing was too spendy for me, heh. I'm older now, not as quick, but I think that I can come back a bit.

Any tips, other than turning laps? The tire and physics model just feels so different from the old days. I used to be able to know where my car would end up at the exit of a corner based on my entry to the corner.

It's gonna need some work to get back to that level, but any summaries of lines/brake/throttle strategies that don't work compared to the old days, and stuff that does, would help a lot.

My thrustmaster T300rs has virtual steering locks you can set. I have mine set at 270 degrees for the classes I race in iracing. I have to imagine the Fanatec has the same thing?

Also as for switching wheels, I’ll just quote myself. It’s about going from controller to wheel but it all applies.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That is absolutely normal. Racing is about muscle memory. You have a ton of finger-based muscle memory built up around the controller. You have zero for your arms, legs and feet.

Everyone who switches from controller to wheel and pedals goes through this. Your times will recover in a couple weeks (not hours) and you’ll eventually get better than you were on the controller.

Focus on slowing down and staying on-track first. Once you have that down, then work on getting faster

Don’t get discouraged, it’s something everyone has to deal with. The wheel and pedals are the one true path, you just need to get used to them.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My thrustmaster T300rs has virtual steering locks you can set. I have mine set at 270 degrees for the classes I race in iracing. I have to imagine the Fanatec has the same thing?

Also as for switching wheels, I’ll just quote myself. It’s about going from controller to wheel but it all applies.

Fanatec has the same virtual steering locks. It just feels like such a change. Sounds like I'll have to just spend a couple of weeks getting used to it and getting back in the game.

I'm loving the new 900 degree steering. It seems like my steering corrections are just going to have to be just that more violent.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Clubsport should be able to do 1080° lock. Set it in the tuning menu, under "Sensitivity"

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Do those have changeable physical stops too? I cant imagine ever getting used to changing the steering range if you can still turn the wheel past the new "full lock"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On the T300rs at least it’s a pretty solid virtual lock, like 100% motor power, so it’s not like you blow past it, you really have to try, especially with smaller wheels like the F1 wheel that would use a 270 degree lock

Also the steering obviously stops responding past the virtual lock, so it’s not like you really even accidentally do it, because it’s very noticeable if you are turning the wheel and the game wheel isn’t moving.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I ended up getting it and all the DLC since it’s on sale right now for $60 for everything currently available. I have an oculus rift S but I bought it on Steam anyway and playing through steam vr works fine. Performance wasn’t that great until I turned shadows down but that’s pretty much every VR game anyway.

Reviews are pretty dire right now because of the DLC situation and the vr requirement for the steam version buy at least for me the steam vr thing is a nonissue.

Apparently the Oculus SDK is hitting Steam beta versions now? https://steamdb.info/app/690790/history/

Bought it finally on your recommendation, with a little tweaking it runs fine but looking forward to being able to turn the graphics up soon hopefully. The Citroen DS is a huge floaty barge, who'd have thought?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Clubsport should be able to do 1080° lock. Set it in the tuning menu, under "Sensitivity"

It's only 900, at least on the v2.5.

Hmm, now I'm thinking, what do most Nascar drivers have for wheel lock and steering ratio for races on ovals? It seems like hand-over-hand would be a bit much for saving a tailwhip, but maybe I just need to practice that.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 22, 2019

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Mach420 posted:

steering ratio for races on ovals?

12:1 seems good

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mach420 posted:

I remember my first day with a Fanatec CSW. Not only was I slow as hell (which is rather common when you switch stuff in simracing), but drat did everything feel WAY off.

Until I realized I have to tick the "invert ffb" option in the game :lol:

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
When I upgraded to CSW, the force feedback in Assetto Corsa felt all over the place, and it was difficult just to drive in a straight line.

It took me quite a while to realize that the LUT file generated for my G25 was still in effect.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Someone tell me if I'm missing something. I bought Dirt Rally 2.0 a while back, the Deluxe Edition, but for one reason or another I didn't really dig into it yet I just did the occasional Time Trial. So now I finally want to start the career mode, but apparently the Deluxe Edition comes with a million bucks and a garage of fully upgraded cars, and no way to reset either of those. Essentially by paying more I seem to have gotten a version of the game where the single player career portion is half done already?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Someone tell me if I'm missing something. I bought Dirt Rally 2.0 a while back, the Deluxe Edition, but for one reason or another I didn't really dig into it yet I just did the occasional Time Trial. So now I finally want to start the career mode, but apparently the Deluxe Edition comes with a million bucks and a garage of fully upgraded cars, and no way to reset either of those. Essentially by paying more I seem to have gotten a version of the game where the single player career portion is half done already?

Nope that's just the way games are sold in 2019. I think technically the money and cars came in installments over time, but I just recently got the Deluxe Edition and had the same thing happen. There's a thread about it on the Codemasters forums, the official response is to sell all the cars and then repeatedly buy/sell expensive used cars to lose money :v:

It's dumb but it's also not uncommon as a way to upsell the fancy season passes etc these days. At least it doesn't have loot boxes.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah I did the buy/sell thing, what a dumb loving thing.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

GhostDog posted:

Are they fully upgraded? I recall only the fulvia fully upgraded if you buy the deluxe package and the other bonus cars not yet upgraded.

The million extra credits probably came from credit drops from seasons 1 and 2.

As for the career mode, I haven't touched it since the first month. Other than bumping AI difficulty and grinding engine upgrades, career mode doesn't feel all that much different from doing the dailies. I wouldn't say deluxe version does all that much in terms of career progression - you can blow through a million credits easily and still have tons of cars left to purchase and upgrade. The dailies help with the grind by changing up the car classes often.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GhostDog posted:

Does the deluxe thingy count as a DLC? Sometimes you can turn those things off in steam.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Yeah I did the buy/sell thing, what a dumb loving thing.

The free credits/cars thing is why I didn't get the season pass but then ended up buying up most of the stuff anyways, it's super dumb.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of wheels, what's the difference between the g29 and the g920 if I'll be using it on a pc?

A cursory googling says the g29 is slightly better overall and works just as well for pc, while the 920 is Xbox one/pc?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nothing I think, they're both the same wheel but for different consoles.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of wheels, what's the difference between the g29 and the g920 if I'll be using it on a pc?

A cursory googling says the g29 is slightly better overall and works just as well for pc, while the 920 is Xbox one/pc?

They’re the same aside from the buttons (and a knob on the g29) on the face. Internally aside from the Xbox one/ps4 controller authentication poo poo, the internals are the same.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I've got a G27 laying around that I'm not using, anyone in the US interested in exchanging some currency for it, preferably Baltimore/DC/NoVA?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, now the follow-up question: Found a G29 down here at a... let's say reasonable price, and I'm eyeing it but I'm not really a 'racing sim guy'. I really like the Dirt Rallies (and probably because it's just me against the track, I hate Rallycross for example), but that's about it on the sim front. My other favourite 'racing' games are Burnout Paradise and ETS2, to give you an idea. :v:

Is getting a wheel still a good idea? I'm thinking I can just get it and sell it down the line after I forget it exists for a couple of months, and it's not like I'm getting a US$2000 rig, but still.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The big downside to them is that they take up a lot of space and take time to set up and break down if they aren't in a fixed location. I really loved having one (they are really fun) but also tended used it less and less since the idea of setting everything up got tedious enough that I found other poo poo to play. If you can get around that issue then go crazy.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Also ets2 is really good with a wheel. Lots easier to cruise around because you have a much more relaxed input vs trying to keep a tiny miniature joystick in a static position.

They will also hold their value at this point in their life, so you might as well try it for a couple of months and sell it if you find yourself not using it enough.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I've got a G27 laying around that I'm not using, anyone in the US interested in exchanging some currency for it, preferably Baltimore/DC/NoVA?

If you have the shifter and are willing to separate and ship it, I’m interested in the shifter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, now the follow-up question: Found a G29 down here at a... let's say reasonable price, and I'm eyeing it but I'm not really a 'racing sim guy'. I really like the Dirt Rallies (and probably because it's just me against the track, I hate Rallycross for example), but that's about it on the sim front. My other favourite 'racing' games are Burnout Paradise and ETS2, to give you an idea. :v:

Is getting a wheel still a good idea? I'm thinking I can just get it and sell it down the line after I forget it exists for a couple of months, and it's not like I'm getting a US$2000 rig, but still.

Dirt rally feels super good on a feedback wheel.

But I can't say how often you play it.

Echoing that ideally you have a fixed setup and don't have to get it out of the closet each time or you won't as much.