Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Let them go for ten thousand years on nothing but a single fusion core charge, none of that silly "eating" or "sleeping" business. Then we can talk about who has the superior corporeal vessel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Let them go for ten thousand years on nothing but a single fusion core charge, none of that silly "eating" or "sleeping" business. Then we can talk about who has the superior corporeal vessel.

:hai:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I assumed they used some kind of biofuel or whatever since they have a bar with tons of grog. There’s just no drinking meter so it’s abstracted away

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I assumed they used some kind of biofuel or whatever since they have a bar with tons of grog. There’s just no drinking meter so it’s abstracted away
Look man, my six skeletons can run from one end of the "known world" to the other without stopping and do it constantly for weeks and never once do they cry about the acid burning their toes or the dust stinging their eyes or the sun burning them.

Maybe you biological fleshbags should just shut up? We're not over here trying to tell you how to poke holes in the dirt with sticks (despite knowing ten thousand better ways to do it).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's actually just for stripping away excess oil and grease from those hard-to-reach places. There is such a thing as too much lubricant, it mucks up your servos something awful. Proper personal hygiene is important, kids.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

It's actually just for stripping away excess oil and grease from those hard-to-reach places. There is such a thing as too much lubricant, it mucks up your servos something awful. Proper personal hygiene is important, kids.

This randomly reminded me that the Abrams battle tank in real life will run on almost anything combustible from plain, unleaded gasoline to high tech jet fuels.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fun fact: you can actually run most diesels on anything from olive oil to used fryer grease, as long as there are no solid particulates or remaining water in it. I've seen people actually do it. If it is vaguely oily and at all flammable (theoretically, at some point) then it's enough of a hydrocarbon liquid fuel to count as far as those engines are concerned.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Fun fact: you can actually run most diesels on anything from olive oil to used fryer grease, as long as there are no solid particulates or remaining water in it. I've seen people actually do it. If it is vaguely oily and at all flammable (theoretically, at some point) then it's enough of a hydrocarbon liquid fuel to count as far as those engines are concerned.

yea, I was reading about the Abrams the other day because of the stuff going on in Saudi Arabia and I was flabbergasted at how the KSA managed to lose one in battle to the peasant militia they're fighting because those things are ridiculously robust.

The answer, if you are curious, is the tank crew, not being properly trained, got scared when the tank got hit by a few rockets and an anti-tank rifle, and abandoned the vehicle that was still 100% operational and had lost maybe 1 point of durability.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

anti-tank rifle
Somewhat comically, there hasn't actually been a rifle that was capable of punching through tank armor since the... oh, roughly the first world war or so. Misnomer if I've ever seen one.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cardiovorax posted:

Somewhat comically, there hasn't actually been a rifle that was capable of punching through tank armor since the... oh, roughly the first world war or so. Misnomer if I've ever seen one.

Any rifle is anti tank if you scare the inhabitants of the tank out of it

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

yea, we have tank armour made out of layers of classified anti-HEAT ceramics and depleted uranium such that conventional bullets do not really do anything to modern heavy armour

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking at outfitting Ruka. Her abilities and needs necessitate something other than just Planks, Longcoats, and Samurai Pants. For one, she can't effectively use a plank. For two, since she's less durable overall than a skeleton, I'm thinking of giving her a polearm. She'll need shoes, a shirt, and headgear of somekind. Drifters boots are craftable for me right now, and I know where to get Swamp Ninja masks to combat dust storms. Is there any special kind of shirt I should look out for? I'm trying to keep her lightweight like my skeletons are.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Join the Shinobi Thieves and buy their 50% off good quality gear ninja gear, including cool gas masks and drifter gear.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Guy Bob posted:

Join the Shinobi Thieves and buy their 50% off good quality gear ninja gear, including cool gas masks and drifter gear.

I did join the Shinobi Thieves and completely forgot about them once I set off to Squin and making my own outpost. I'll head back to The Hub and check them out. :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think you can actually glue Ruka's horns back on at the plastic surgeon's. I'm kind of disappointed that this doesn't at least get you some unique dialogue.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

I think you can actually glue Ruka's horns back on at the plastic surgeon's. I'm kind of disappointed that this doesn't at least get you some unique dialogue.

look man, ripping off her arms and legs to graft on better ones is just business as usual but mutilating her face c'mon now we are not monsters over here

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any actual quests with the companions? I know some of them are all "man, it would sure be nice if the holy nation died", but are there actual goals?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, sadly. Some of them will say unique things in certain situations, but it's just to make the world feel that little bit more alive and hand-crafted.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The developers hate the idea of scripted quests so much that you can go chat up one of the world leaders and they'll make fun of you for looking for a quest.

There's nothing state changing about stuff you can do with companions but like mentioned they'll have context specific comments which are as good or better than any state changing you'd be interested in.

Ruka triumphing in a Proving in a base you build near the Shek can be your own personal victory.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

The developers hate the idea of scripted quests so much that you can go chat up one of the world leaders and they'll make fun of you for looking for a quest.

There's nothing state changing about stuff you can do with companions but like mentioned they'll have context specific comments which are as good or better than any state changing you'd be interested in.

Ruka triumphing in a Proving in a base you build near the Shek can be your own personal victory.

This is my goal! I've got her hauling a backpack full of iron ore around to get her ready.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Addamere posted:

Looking at outfitting Ruka. Her abilities and needs necessitate something other than just Planks, Longcoats, and Samurai Pants. For one, she can't effectively use a plank. For two, since she's less durable overall than a skeleton, I'm thinking of giving her a polearm. She'll need shoes, a shirt, and headgear of somekind. Drifters boots are craftable for me right now, and I know where to get Swamp Ninja masks to combat dust storms. Is there any special kind of shirt I should look out for? I'm trying to keep her lightweight like my skeletons are.

Ruka can use heavy weapons fine, but you need to get her strength to be at least 2x the weight of the weapon for her to swing it around well. A dark leather shirt or leather turtleneck are extra protection with no downsides, so they are the obvious pick early on. Later I like to outfit her with full chain and samurai armor, but her stats need to be much higher to make the penalties worth it.

Polearms are cool though and very underrated. They have huge attack bonuses and damage boosts against animals and your characters attack very quickly with them. Naginatas and naginata katanas will cut through animals and low armor people no problem. When you start taking on harder targets like paladins or samurai then polearms and heavy polearms have that sweet 30% armor penetration.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

[quote="zedprime" post="498490751 "]

[/quote]
Not that it hasn't clearly worked out for them, so I feel I have no right to really criticize. I suppose more reactive companions that have just generally more to say on what you're doing would've just been just nice in general, it's not like I was ever expecting an entire Bioware style badly-written character arc complete with loyalty quests or anything.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Not that it hasn't clearly worked out for them, so I feel I have no right to really criticize. I suppose more reactive companions that have just generally more to say on what you're doing would've just been just nice in general, it's not like I was ever expecting an entire Bioware style badly-written character arc complete with loyalty quests or anything.

Everyone knows you want to gently caress Beep, you may as well admit it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Of course not, and I deny that accusation in the strongest of terms. Hivers are eusocial insects and the workers don't even have genitals, so it's clearly more like masturbation.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not really sure "I wanna use Beep as a masturbation aid" is less wrongful than "I wanna gently caress Beep", but

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Beep is the only good and pure thing on this world

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Incidentally, Beep has a clear questline and character arc.

Beep is trash -> Beep no longer runs away, but kills his enemies -> Beep becomes the most powerful and has beautiful human females -> CyberBeep

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Incidentally, Beep has a clear questline and character arc.

Beep is trash -> Beep no longer runs away, but kills his enemies -> Beep meets his super best friend -> Beep becomes the most powerful and has beautiful human females -> CyberBeep

FTFY

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Beep is the only good and pure thing on this world

which is why he needs to be hosed

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Don't talk to me or my Beep ever again

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Finding the skeleton library w skeletons and realizing they're low key suppressing a few technologies was neat.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Tin Tim posted:

Don't talk to me or my Beep ever again

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Write an email to the studio for kenshi 2 suggestions.

He's already said they are not updating kenshi, it started on a bad engine before lumberyard existed and therefore they're concentrating on kenshi 2 now.

Kenshi 2 is gonna be the next Barkley 2 :crobear:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Gulping Again posted:

Kenshi 2 is gonna be the next Barkley 2 :crobear:

Barkley 2 had 120k money to start for 4 guys.

Steam DB estimates ~500,000 owners

I'd say he made at the low end 2 million bucks off it.

It has a way better shot of completing than kenshi 1 which he did very much alone.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What exactly is the point of Kenshi 2 as a standalone game instead of an expansion? From what I can see, they plan to use the same engine and dev tools, so it'll be functionally identical to if you or me make a total conversion mod.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Kenshi has been in the works for a long-rear end time (since 2012 or earlier I believe), so the engine is a bit of a mess. I think he stated that he wanted to start fresh with Kenshi 2.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broken Cog posted:

Kenshi has been in the works for a long-rear end time (since 2012 or earlier I believe), so the engine is a bit of a mess. I think he stated that he wanted to start fresh with Kenshi 2.

https://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=14845

quote:

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 pm

Now, our original plan was to keep the new project quiet so we could work on it without public pressure and then do a big press release when we had something to show. However it seems lots of people are getting confused or angry about us not still tinkering with Kenshi or leaving the world of Kenshi behind, so I'm going to go ahead and announce early what we are working on now, as I think it will put most people at ease.

We are starting work now on Kenshi 2!
It will be set 1000 years in the past, during the time of the "Old Empire" and reveal more of the world's lore and history.
It will be based on the same code-base and engine.
The engine will be upgraded to the latest version of Ogre, which should drastically improve performance.
Why keep the same engine? Because a completely new engine would break everything and take another million years to finish. By sticking with the same code we are making the descision to prioritise gameplay instead of graphics. (Not to mention a much faster release date)
The work we do on the engine upgrade will also be applied to Kenshi 1 as a free update.
Other core improvements or small features achieved in Kenshi 2 could also potentially be applied to Kenshi 1 as free updates.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Huh, seems my info is outdated then, last I checked (which is a while ago tbf), I could swear he was talking about starting from scratch with the experience he gained from working on the first engine

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Digging deeper into it he seems to be wanting to mess with an updated version of the same engine, and claims doing so will allow better performance and the like. I'm not smart enough about that kind of thing to know if it's true. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Addamere posted:

Digging deeper into it he seems to be wanting to mess with an updated version of the same engine, and claims doing so will allow better performance and the like. I'm not smart enough about that kind of thing to know if it's true. :shrug:

Ogre isn't the best but it's probably true because they hacky version used by Kenshi is ancient and modernizing it will help.