Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Adept Nightingale posted:

The Quest only uses one AA per controller, on top of that. What the hell are these things doing to draw so much power?

Not being good at Beat Saber that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not being good at Beat Saber that's for sure.

Imagine designing an expensive PCVR system that is worst in almost every way to a stand-alone system running on a 2 year mobile processor and you can’t even do beat saber better
Obsolete on release is a new record

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

I taunt my Blade & Sorcery foes by honing my rapiers against each other like some sort of murderchef.

I end every level of Beat Saber by crossing my sabers and running them against each other up and down like I'm some weirdo dual-wielding jedi

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've got the "old as gently caress" market on lockdown with this. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXEwtY70hzo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given the thick plastic of the rings, I'm guessing the Cosmos controllers are using some kind of high-power LED's or something to make those light tubes extra bright.

rage-saq posted:

Imagine designing an expensive PCVR system that is worst in almost every way to a stand-alone system running on a 2 year mobile processor and you can’t even do beat saber better

There are no less than three competing controllers to learn from (Touch, Touch S, and Index). One of which was basically made as a reference model for other companies to derive from, and two that use similar optical tracking for far less power usage.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

some redditor posted:

No idea who there is so much fanboy hate for HTC. It sounds like they could have released absolutely anything and the response would be the same. Personally I have a PSVR, Rift S and HP Reverb. Ill sell them all and replace them with Cosmos. There is a market for a more premium Rift S despite what you surely experts think.

Wireless inside out tracking powered by a PC sounds awesome

Don't worry htc you have one sale in the bag.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mashed_penguin posted:

Don't worry htc you have one sale in the bag.

Too bad it's to one of their employees on the company dime.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I don’t have a dog in this fight but I think that’s a reasonable opinion. HTC pricing is a legitimate gripe but if you watched that review there’s nothing spec or performance wise that people should be writing the whole thing off for, and considering each media outlet was only given 1 hour with the headset, the unverified “2 hour battery” thing should be taken as “allegedly” until decent hands-on testing is done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ROFLBOT posted:

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I think that’s a reasonable opinion. HTC pricing is a legitimate gripe but if you watched that review there’s nothing spec or performance wise that people should be writing the whole thing off for, and considering each media outlet was only given 1 hour with the headset, the unverified “2 hour battery” thing should be taken as “allegedly” until decent hands-on testing is done.

There's a very simple test for if a VR headset's tracking is good, and literally everyone who has even a passing interest in VR knows it; "Can it play Beat Saber?" When the demonstration is a low-speed Beat Saber knockoff, you already know it's gonna be "No". HTC also most likely know they've got a turd on their hands, because they've been shady with the details right up until before release when bad press couldn't kill every sale immediately. It's a very old trick done with bad videogames and products in general.

Even if it's miraculously all hearsay and the headset actually works right, it's too highly-priced to compete with the Rift S, and it's too cheap to make the Index-buyers look at it. Even the Lighthouse addon isn't really viable, because that puts it at $900USD total for the headset and mod, and you still need Lighthouses and controllers to use it because it doesn't have the extra tracking cameras the default faceplate does. An Index + Knuckles are $750USD.

Rage-saq put it best;

rage-saq posted:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are there any good android apps for measuring IPD? I want to see how close I am to the sweet spot before I pull the trigger on the Rift S and I'd like something a bit more precise that guesswork with a ruler.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Are there any good android apps for measuring IPD? I want to see how close I am to the sweet spot before I pull the trigger on the Rift S and I'd like something a bit more precise that guesswork with a ruler.

pretty sure the guesswork with the ruler is gonna be about as accurate as an android app

just go to a local optometrist and ask for your IPD, they have a tool to measure it right there

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJQGFD0

This is the best a non-optometrist can probably do on their own. I have one and it works well for the couple times I need to use it.

It’s especially good for first timers in VR as they often aren’t good at divining where the IPD should be vs where they can force their eyes to focus.

It will also let you find out if your eyes are not spaced evenly from your bridge, which can lead to IPD adjustment issues in the HMD if they’re far enough off

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 21, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Recommend me some good arcade'y VR shooters.
I played a poo poo ton of Robo Recall, Sairento and SUPERHOT and would like some more games like that but everything else I've found so far was mediocre at best.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I played a poo poo ton of Robo Recall, Sairento and SUPERHOT and would like some more games like that but everything else I've found so far was mediocre at best.

If you have space, Space Pirate Trainer is great. It encourages you to move around to dodge enemy shots which is a ton of fun. The more space you have the better.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

RFC2324 posted:

just go to a local optometrist and ask for your IPD, they have a tool to measure it right there

doesn't always work, I went to a plane and they wouldn't do it until I reminded them I had bought from them before. I don't think they want to encourage people coming in to get their IPD for glasses online or something

even told them it was for dweeb VR

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jack Trades posted:

SUPERHOT is still my absolute favorite VR game, and it's hard to believe that they haven't put out a sequel or some DLC. I don't even need any new gameplay concepts, just more cool action movie scenarios.

I just googled to see if there's anything on the horizon and it looks like in May of 2018 the developers said they were working on a new VR version of SUPERHOT.

https://www.destructoid.com/talking-vr-sequels-and-keeping-creative-with-the-mind-behind-superhot-505015.phtml

quote:

"The core of Superhot is a very cool idea. It's this visceral thing when you experience it in VR for instance. People in front of you. They try to hurt you. But until you move, everything stops. This is such a primal role fantasy. It's something that I know we've only scratched the surface of things you can do. We are working on more of that. We're working on different tools and motion capture stuff -- things that we feel will bring it to the next level. And it will be visible."

"I hesitate on your distinction between evolution and a sequel. Because if it's a proper evolution, it's a proper sequel. Sequels also have this money grab connotation. I know that we'll find stuff that's there. Having those enemies move like they mean it. They have these tiny moments with you. This is something that really didn't click in Superhot VR because the animations were all made for a 2D game and it was kind of hacked together to be a VR game. It's a hack, it's not like an animation system that was designed from the ground up. There's some legacy from the flat-screen version. What we're developing now is making an even more core VR experience."

God I hope this is still coming.

Also, this about the original attempt at a VR version is interesting.

quote:

"Our first approach to doing Superhot in VR was to do this sitting experience. You sit in a chair, you move around with a thumbstick, and then you have your hands around you and you use them to grab stuff and shoot guns. But you're sitting. What the gently caress? We were actually developing this sitting experience Superhot and we believed that it had some issues but that it was a generally okay idea. But it was so far away from okay. It was totally not interesting and very flat. A piece of plastic on your head and strange controllers in your hand. Facing a complicated device, you have to discover these things on your own."

I would actually really love to play SUPERHOT with stick locomotion, but I wouldn't do it sitting down. That said, they probably made the right choice as it's one of the easiest games to just drop a VR newbie into and still one of the best VR games around.

Oh, and I guess there's a SUPERHOT set in Japan being made by a different developer, and they said that VR support may come later.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/superhot/superhot-japan-announced

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I get the reasons why it isn't a thing for now, but a level editor and workshop support would make SUPERHOT infinitely replayable.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Penpal posted:

doesn't always work, I went to a plane and they wouldn't do it until I reminded them I had bought from them before. I don't think they want to encourage people coming in to get their IPD for glasses online or something

even told them it was for dweeb VR

Optometrists for the most part only know how to do eye exams and sell you glasses, anything outside that is above and beyond for them.

For those of you who wear glasses/contacts, the next time you go for your annual ophthalmologist appointment, just have them measure it. They can also measure the curvature of your cornea if you're a glasses wearer so you may actually be able to get contacts that fit perfectly, since a lot of people who bounced off contacts even 10 years ago would be surprised to find out that there's some specific brand of contact lens that will fit their eyes perfectly.

Also, unless your myopia is really mild, don't get lasik, and if it IS that mild, why the hell are you getting Lasik anyway? Glasses/contacts are a minor annoyance at best.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I don't know how anybody can enjoy Fallout 4 VR.

I bought it awhile ago on sale and just now tried it out. The VR controls are so miserable I couldn't force myself to play through the stupid intro.

They should really offer you a save file that's after the stupid intro. It drags so badly in VR, the menu controls are miserable, and you have to use manual walking because the teleport has a pathetically short range.

What a cheap cash-in piece of poo poo.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Optometrists for the most part only know how to do eye exams and sell you glasses, anything outside that is above and beyond for them.

For those of you who wear glasses/contacts, the next time you go for your annual ophthalmologist appointment, just have them measure it. They can also measure the curvature of your cornea if you're a glasses wearer so you may actually be able to get contacts that fit perfectly, since a lot of people who bounced off contacts even 10 years ago would be surprised to find out that there's some specific brand of contact lens that will fit their eyes perfectly.

Man I don't know where you live that you see an opthalmologist for your yearly eye exam but up here (Canada) it's usually all optometrists unless you have an actual serious issue like cataracts or something. I'm pretty sure my GP would laugh me out of the room if I asked for a referral to update my prescription, let alone measure my eyes for my dorky VR stuff :saddowns:

Regardless, not an option since my next annual isn't for like six months. I've tried with a ruler and I'm... somewhere above 65mm. Maybe 67 or 68? So the high end but I'm hoping that won't be a deal breaker. I had a DK2 back in the day and was able to adjust the software IPD on that (using the config tool Oculus included. That still a thing) and it seemed reasonable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just spend the $10

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJQGFD0

This is the best a non-optometrist can probably do on their own. I have one and it works well for the couple times I need to use it.

It’s especially good for first timers in VR as they often aren’t good at divining where the IPD should be vs where they can force their eyes to focus.

It will also let you find out if your eyes are not spaced evenly from your bridge, which can lead to IPD adjustment issues in the HMD if they’re far enough off

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I bought it awhile ago on sale and just now tried it out. The VR controls are so miserable I couldn't force myself to play through the stupid intro.

They should really offer you a save file that's after the stupid intro. It drags so badly in VR, the menu controls are miserable, and you have to use manual walking because the teleport has a pathetically short range.

if you play with a pistol it's pretty fun and good. VATS in VR is very fun https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedSuaveMagpieHassanChop

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just spend the $10

Just checked and thanks to the Canada tax it's closer to $40 up here. At least from Amazon.ca

Amazon has a decent return policy for electronics right? I guess I could always order it and if it makes me barf within a few days I can send it back.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

actually it sucks rear end because you can't control the targeting for poo poo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zaphod42 posted:

Fallout 4 VR is a horrendous conversion. If you're willing to edit a bunch of .ini files, install a bunch of mods, and abuse some console commands to cheat a bit, the game is passable. Stock straight from the download? Not worth playing.

BMan posted:

like this you have to change 3 lines in an .ini i think

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I got the 14mm leather cover from VRCovers and man its a huge upgrade on the stock foam. Should have done this long ago!

Hellsau posted:

Fallout 4 VR is a horrendous conversion. If you're willing to edit a bunch of .ini files, install a bunch of mods, and abuse some console commands to cheat a bit, the game is passable. Stock straight from the download? Not worth playing.

Is there a good reccomended list of mods somewhere?

I'll probably just play other VR games instead. Fallout 4 having guns and the pip-boy does have huge VR potential though... but man having to do character creation with the touchpads made me miserable. And the teleport range is soooo short.

Have to play on manual walk with fast speed to not get super bored, but then I start to feel a little not so great sometimes.

BMan posted:

Yeah that clip sure doesn't make it look very good

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hellsau posted:

like this you have to change 3 lines in an .ini i think

I tried this but nothing helped, except the tweak that disables targeting entirely (but also makes it so you can't headshot)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I miss the laser sights Robo Recall has when I play Fallout 4 VR

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gort posted:

I miss the laser sights Robo Recall has when I play Fallout 4 VR

I miss the sights/scopes every other VR shooter has when I play Fallout 4 VR.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The mod that fixes reflex sights is 100% required

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BMan posted:

The mod that fixes reflex sights is 100% required

They're still pretty poo poo on most guns. The dot just kind of shows up towards the front of the gun, even if you're not looking through the sight - the little window on the sight you're supposed to look through is mostly decorative.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Aha oops... Managed to snap the thumbstick off my right touch controller. I glued it back on, but there is a mystery ribbon cable inside that goes up to the top of the stick that also snapped. No way I could fix that. Just gonna tuck it in and hope for the best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ceive posted:

Aha oops... Managed to snap the thumbstick off my right touch controller. I glued it back on, but there is a mystery ribbon cable inside that goes up to the top of the stick that also snapped. No way I could fix that. Just gonna tuck it in and hope for the best.

The top of the thumbstick is a capacitive sensor.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Mystery solved, thanks!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The thriller homebrew makes you do the zombie/wolfman dance to slice the blocks. :3:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Any input on a fair value for an OG vive without lighthouses? Buddy of mine bought an index after getting his heart broken by a cosplay girl and is trying to unload the old headset and wands.

Between my Quest and HP WMR headset I don’t think I’d personally bite, but I’m curious nonetheless

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

App13 posted:

Any input on a fair value for an OG vive without lighthouses? Buddy of mine bought an index after getting his heart broken by a cosplay girl and is trying to unload the old headset and wands.

Between my Quest and HP WMR headset I don’t think I’d personally bite, but I’m curious nonetheless

Take a look at what it'll cost you to get a pair of the Model-1 lighthouses and deduct that from the average price of a Vive on eBay. Because you're gonna have to also get a pair of Model-1 lighthouses, the new ones aren't compatible with the Vive.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Welp. Off to OC6 and Twitchcon.

Anyone going to either? Should be a good time.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally found a friend with an iPhone 10 and measured my IPD.

Near 63.4 mm, far 66.1 mm. So... assuming it's the near one the Rift S is pretty much made for me. Sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Owlbear Camus posted:

The thriller homebrew makes you do the zombie/wolfman dance to slice the blocks. :3:

YMCA also does this really well. IIRC Gangnam Style does it as well.