Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
How is CS3 overall? I liked the turbo mode of CS2 to cut through a lot of the tedium so having to play at normal speed suddenly feels like a drag unless it’s engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The English version has Turbo mode, so don't worry.

I played the Japanese version without it and it was perfectly fine (there's a lot more fast travel points and no Nord).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Turbo is more useful for combat than the overworld.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I find myself pressing the right shoulder button on literally every game now trying to speed it up, and just... ....so very sad when it doesn't work.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Terper posted:

The English version has Turbo mode, so don't worry.

I played the Japanese version without it and it was perfectly fine (there's a lot more fast travel points and no Nord).

Oh thank god. Given that CS3’s barely next gen graphically, I would have been surprised if it didn’t have a turbo mode option.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
They keep mentioning stuff that happened after Reans graduation and I'm wondering if i missed something here.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nope.

e: Also that didn't happen after Rean's graduation, he graduates right before starting work as an instructor.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rean living the dream of never ever leaving high school

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Cool, just checking. Was afraid there was some light novel i missed or something dumb.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just played the CS3 demo. Some impressions:

1) I really wonder what this game would have been like if Rean was no longer the protagonist. Just have him be like a Sara-esque mentor for Juna or Kurt or both as the viewpoint characters. I assume the rest of the game was written with a Rean-centric perspective in mind, so maybe it wouldn't work with the story they're going to tell, but I'm really interested in this other hypothetical game now. I don't mind Rean but it feels weird for him to always be at the center.

2) At one point someone says something like "we won't sit back and let you do your own bidding" which is certainly a weird thing to say.

3) Rean's two crafts have the exactly same description in the mechanical half (damage, break, range, etc) which I'm assuming is a copy-paste error. I hope they fix this in the final release, because not knowing what your moves do is probably the worst kind of translation error.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think there's video going around showing the craft text to already be fixed

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb2Fvb2vLlA&t=257s

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 20, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

lets hang out posted:

Rean living the dream of never ever leaving high school

You've actually kinda nailed that. It's one of Rean's biggest character flaws. Being part of Class VII was the first time he felt like he belonged somewhere, and he's determined to hold onto that feeling as hard as he can. That notion was crushed at the end of CS 2, and after everyone went their separate ways, Rean still didn't have any purpose in life, so he's trying to hold on to that by staying at Thors.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's worse things in life than wanting to give back to a place you feel gave you everything. I'm not sure if I can call it a flaw of his. I also think teaching isn't a bad career choice for a guy who has the major character traits of "likes to give motivational speeches" and "likes working to allow others to succeed".

Seems like a foregone conclusion, and that's not always a bad thing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My bigger issues with Rean stem from his ridiculous abilities but his reluctance to take any major stand against some of the crap the empire pulls. I really liked the crossbell epilogue thing in CS2 for as short as it was, but Rean's being more or less a lapdog for the empire is really, really drat deflating considering he should be capable of more.

But hey maybe CS3 and 4 will redeem him in my eyes.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
The French translation in the CS3 demo is... not good.

Some stuff is translated correctly but some important things that are said are ignored or incorrect. Not to mention that the characters all feel flat.

Feels like whoever got that job knew little about Trails. I definitely wouldn't play this game in French.

Rean's crafts have the correct descriptions though !

Aside from that I thought NISA put out a nice demo. I had a huge grin on my face during that conference call at the end.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Isn't that kind of par the course for NISA's French localizations? I remember the French Ys VIII translation to be hilariously bad and it was never fixed either.

Also:

https://twitter.com/supremezerker/status/1175493975844773889

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

There's worse things in life than wanting to give back to a place you feel gave you everything. I'm not sure if I can call it a flaw of his. I also think teaching isn't a bad career choice for a guy who has the major character traits of "likes to give motivational speeches" and "likes working to allow others to succeed".

Maybe flaw is the wrong word, but the impression I got is that Rean seems to have tied too much of his self-worth in the idea of keeping Class VII the way it always was. But Class VII was always going to be impermanent, because it was always going to be two years at most before they went their own separate ways. Maybe I'm conflating in my mind two separate issues: Rean's desire in CS 1 for the security of the good old days before all that civil war stuff, and Rean's much less healthy view that someone gets to be forgiven "no harm, no foul" for (CS2) murdering people, and committing acts of terrorism, among other things, just because they happen to be your friend - as if none of the other lives damaged or ruined by them matter..

As an aside the idea behind Class VII - and the field studies in particular - is to have the students work together in a group and learn how to make decisions on their own without the teachers being there to bail them out. I have a hard time grasping how that's supposed to work with Rean-as-teacher-and-playable-protagonist, for both the tutorial and field studies.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shinjobi posted:

My bigger issues with Rean stem from his ridiculous abilities but his reluctance to take any major stand against some of the crap the empire pulls. I really liked the crossbell epilogue thing in CS2 for as short as it was, but Rean's being more or less a lapdog for the empire is really, really drat deflating considering he should be capable of more.

But hey maybe CS3 and 4 will redeem him in my eyes.

I think that's the point. The JP trailer had a soundbite where a distraught Juna (I think) screams at Rean about Crossbell, so I'm hopeful the planned character growth for Rean in 3 and 4 is for the new kids finally managing to kick some sense into his thick skull.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
CS2 clearly ends on a down note: everything everyone has worked for has been for nothing, and Rean can't escape being a dog of the empire. The 3rd Epilogue or whatever tries to cheer you up a bit, elevating the mood the "bittersweet" at best, but you're so supposed to feel like the rug has been pulled out from under your victory, imo.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Clarste posted:

CS2 clearly ends on a down note: everything everyone has worked for has been for nothing, and Rean can't escape being a dog of the empire. The 3rd Epilogue or whatever tries to cheer you up a bit, elevating the mood the "bittersweet" at best, but you're so supposed to feel like the rug has been pulled out from under your victory, imo.

The take I've had is that Class VII put everything into fighting the meaningless end boss for exactly this reason.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Ys 9 unlocked today. Lots of fun so far, they're definitely increasing the aggression of the combat with things like the 6 character defence missions and the way your skill bar recharges really quickly as you atttack an enemy that's had its guard broken - you're just firing off skill after skill. Story's not quite there with a hilarious flashback right at the start but I hope the interrogator makes another appearance. "You sure do end up on a lot of ships which end up sinking... and why is it that in all these reports you never start with any kind of fighting equipment?"

The framerate on PS4 Pro is there or thereabouts: it gets pretty choppy when you are running around in the city but once the dungeon/combat sections start it strips back the detail and it's 60 a lot of the time - though there was an outdoor encounter where it was dropping a fair bit. Dropping the system down to 1080 didn't seem to make a difference; it's either running at 1080 or close enough that it's hard to notice.

Overall I'm looking forward to really getting my teeth into it - shame I'm out of town this weekend!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yikes, if it's running slightly poorly on PS4 Pro i don't see a bright future ahead for any future ports.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Amppelix posted:

Yikes, if it's running slightly poorly on PS4 Pro i don't see a bright future ahead for any future ports.

It's still much better than Ys 8 was on my RTX 2080, at least! It does keep the chop so far to the slower sections.

One interesting new option I saw was the traversal assists: you have settings to add extra platforms to jumping parts, and to have a jump correction function which gives you guide circles on the ground. Not sure how they work exactly as I didn't try them but I expect there to be a lot more leaping about and using the grapple points as I get further in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CS2 ran like poo poo on my Pro sometimes and that's practically a PS2 game

Just Falcom things

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Sakurazuka posted:

CS2 ran like poo poo on my Pro sometimes and that's practically a PS2 game

Just Falcom things

Man, that first area you go to literally runs at half speed for most of it. That was a really bad port for Pro users - every time something with a hazy effect came onto the screen it just slowed right down. I think Artdink did both of those ports which was odd because the first one was fine.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

uiruki posted:

One interesting new option I saw was the traversal assists: you have settings to add extra platforms to jumping parts, and to have a jump correction function which gives you guide circles on the ground. Not sure how they work exactly as I didn't try them but I expect there to be a lot more leaping about and using the grapple points as I get further in.

That sounds really good, since I am totally gonna need it.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I just finished played both Zwei games and I was pleasantly surprised. They're simple but solid, and the second one (Ilvard Insurrection) in particular with its QOL improvements and greater polish is worth checking out.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

leather fedora posted:

I just finished played both Zwei games and I was pleasantly surprised. They're simple but solid, and the second one (Ilvard Insurrection) in particular with its QOL improvements and greater polish is worth checking out.

I really loved Ilvard Insurrection but I found the first one too difficult to play and make progress.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Monstrum Nox is cool as poo poo, but also janky as poo poo.

It runs really janky, and the platforming is extremely janky. I wonder why it is optimized so poorly, a lot of the graphics are very bare-bones.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

leather fedora posted:

Thanks for the thoughts, those have been floating in my wishlist for a long time now.

I was playing Monster Hunter World recently, and I just found out that The Handler's English VA is the same as Duvalie's. She doesn't reach as high of highs as the Handler but still good. I'm seeing now she was also Jane Austen in Saints Row IV, so she's moving up the list quickly as one of my favorite VAs.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Just got the hidden watch quest in CS2, which I somehow never noticed before.

What is with Mothers of engineers? Between Alisa's and Teta's moms, both manage to be fantastically awful, for like, the opposite reason.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Veryslightlymad posted:

What is with Mothers of engineers? Between Alisa's and Teta's moms, both manage to be fantastically awful, for like, the opposite reason.

I think it's more that they're trying to draw a parallel specifically between Tita and Alisa. Both are the grandaughters of people in the orbal revolution (iirc Gwyn wasn't one of Epstein's pupils, but he absolutely was one of the first people to buy into orbal technology and is an engineer in his own right), and both of their mothers are the daughters of said engineers, who have their own hang ups about their famous fathers (Erika is determined to prove herself as better than her dad, and I'm assuming that part of Irina's personality is some sort of manifestation of her own issues with her dad).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is just speculation because I haven't played CSIII or IV but I'm assuming there's more to Alisa's mom. We never heard how her husband died, then she suddenly changes and a year later she brings Sharon home. There's a big gap in that story, and hopefully we'll learn more in the latter games

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Someone suggested that Sharon might have killed Alisa's dad and that makes an inordinate amount of sense to me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

Someone suggested that Sharon might have killed Alisa's dad and that makes an inordinate amount of sense to me.

That might have been me. I am still in the dark about the details, so this is mostly speculation. I was highly suspicious of Sharon from Alisa's CS1 Ch. 3 bonding event onwards. It seemed like Sharon was also acting as a bodyguard to Alisa, which made me wonder why Alisa needed a bodyguard. I found the timing of Sharon showing up working for the Irina Reinford less than a year after Alisa's father died to be suspicious. If you pay attention, like really pay attention, to what Sharon says in CS 2 in her introduction, her bonding events, and after Roer's liberation, that possibility seems to fit very well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 6, 2019

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I was under the impression that was more explicit than it apparently was. It makes too much sense to not be true though. Sharon is way too unflinchingly loyal to the Reinfords.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zero patch looking real good.

https://twitter.com/supremezerker/status/1179515020629200897

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-06-hot-on-the-trails-of-falcom-japans-longest-running-rpg-developer

quote:

As it turned out, the lack of Japanese audio in the original localisations had been the decision of global publisher Xseed. "I don't know why they made their decision," explains Kondo. "But I do know that when we spoke with NIS America [global publisher of Trails of Cold Steel 3], they were very adamant about giving [dual audio] to the fans. It's actually a very easy feature for us to implement, so going forward, should we be informed that's what they want, then we're happy to accommodate."

That kinda seems like throwing Xseed under the bus, since an interview before had him talking about japanese voices having big costs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I remember hearing that there were gigantic licensing costs and logistics involved, not just they didn't want to do it.

quote:

...though he confirms there's about 20 years worth of Trails games planned, much of which will explore the Eastern side of Zemurian continent, as up until now the story has been focused on the Western part.

This, however, is super interesting. I wonder if this means they're going to finish the Ouroboros storyline and then start a completely different mega arc in other countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh no, Kondo is actually a loving liar on the very same website

quote:

One of the biggest complaints about Trails of Cold Steel is the English dub replacing the Japanese original, which featured famous anime voice actors. Is there a possibility of seeing the original dub released as DLC, similar to what Square Enix did with Drakengard 3?

TK: Recently, we have seen many requests for the Japanese voice track to be included. There are many issues to consider in order to make this a reality, but if the demand is really that strong, it is definitely something that we want to consider.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-14-falcom-vs-the-fans