Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If you're out of position in hots you usually die though? If people don't focus any enemy and just shoot whoever then yeah enemies just escape away.

hots seems to reward more group play so strict lane assignment is less important so long as you're vaguely functioning as a team, which is a lot more fun than "I'm going to do a single thing for 90% of the game and scream ethnic slurs at my team mates if we lose"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

hots seems to reward more group play so strict lane assignment is less important so long as you're vaguely functioning as a team, which is a lot more fun than "I'm going to do a single thing for 90% of the game and scream ethnic slurs at my team mates if we lose"

This is basically capitalism.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I really like how hots rewards intuition, skillshot aim and improvisation more than memorizing the one single strategy that works, like in dota, at least at mid level play.

It's also not true that you can't kill someone, you can psych your opponent into a vulnerable position pretty easily and then take them out, or do things like using Medivh portals to take out an Abathur and things like that.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I really like how hots rewards intuition, skillshot aim and improvisation more than memorizing the one single strategy that works, like in dota, at least at mid level play.

Uh yeah that's not true for Dota at all. But it is how a lot of people played the game. They'd always go for the same strategy instead of adapting, usually a "win more" kind of strat. If it worked it felt great, if it didn't it was obviously your teammates' fault, this strat usually works!!

It was kinda depressing getting to high level play by being good at strategizing, teamwork and adaptation, cause you'd run into people who got they're cause they're good at execution and lasthitting but they really had no idea what they're doing otherwise.

Though I did enjoy playing support and dragging my idiots kicking and screaming to the finish line. My favorite hero was Chen for a reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Platinum games had this brief period where they were on fire with Bayonetta, Vanquish and MGS Rising, but I've been pretty unimpressed with them ever since.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 22, 2019

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The MOBA genre peaked with the original DOTA WC3 custom map because so far as I can tell that's the only game that had the goblin techie, which was basically guaranteed to send opponents into a frothing rage...er, earlier in the game than normal, I guess

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Fallout New Vegas was bad but somehow Fallout 4 was worse

fallout new vegas was good for a fps fallout game but by nature they are simply not very good games

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Communist Walrus posted:

The MOBA genre peaked with the original DOTA WC3 custom map because so far as I can tell that's the only game that had the goblin techie, which was basically guaranteed to send opponents into a frothing rage...er, earlier in the game than normal, I guess

You'll be delighted to know that techies still exists, largely unchanged over the years, in Dota2

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

poverty goat posted:

It really depends on where your character is in the game. It's great with a late-game high-int character who can hack all the terminals, pick all the locks, cook the special consumables and nail all the speech checks. If you can't do all that, you end up doing a lot of backtracking through the fog, fighting all the respawning zombies each time, and then you gently caress everything up with all the characters and get the worst ending. And that's terrible.

On the other hand if you go in early the enemies are all pretty easy because level scaling boats enemy HP as you go on but the weapons do the same amount of damage whatever level you are

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If you're out of position in hots you usually die though? If people don't focus any enemy and just shoot whoever then yeah enemies just escape away.

I think this is just a case of what qualifies as "out of position" changing due to the increase difficulty in killing someone. I'm not saying people don't die, I'm saying it's simply more difficult requiring more people, and/or a higher degree of being out of position, and/or their being less hero combinations that can expect to get a kill. In all fairness I didn't play much at the time it also may have changed but it would be inline with how Blizzard goes about making their games, especially recently (see Overwatch).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 22, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

fallout new vegas was good for a fps fallout game but by nature they are simply not very good games

Having played Fallout 1 and 2, Id disagree

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

2house2fly posted:

On the other hand if you go in early the enemies are all pretty easy because level scaling boats enemy HP as you go on but the weapons do the same amount of damage whatever level you are

On the other hand, if you've gone into a critical hit based build (which in melee it's hard not to do) the Ghost People are a cakewalk since they die instantly from crippled limbs.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Overwatch is really boring but hots is alright, they are both casual I guess but hots does have a bit of depth and I think it's fun to play at least.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On the other hand, if you've gone into a critical hit based build (which in melee it's hard not to do) the Ghost People are a cakewalk since they die instantly from crippled limbs.

The ghost people are brilliant because high-level characters are far more likely to be stuck in the "More headshots = better" mindset and they end up impotently unloading

meanwhile the bear trap fist grants bonus critical chance and deals bonus limb damage

so literally a lvl 1 character with no unarmed can easily kill them

lol

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I did totally bounce off overwatch. Tried a couple times when it was free and really didn't like the ttk.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Excelzior posted:

The ghost people are brilliant because high-level characters are far more likely to be stuck in the "More headshots = better" mindset and they end up impotently unloading

meanwhile the bear trap fist grants bonus critical chance and deals bonus limb damage

so literally a lvl 1 character with no unarmed can easily kill them

lol

Most of the DLCs but Dead Money and OWB especially are designed to gently caress with the Stealth/Guns sniper characters everyone kept making

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I didn't like Fallout New Vegas because I got to some bit with the president making a speech and I got up on the podium and started jumping around in front of him while the guards were saying like "get off the stage buddy!"

Anyway long story short they killed me and I hadn't saved for like an hour so I stopped playing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honest Hearts treats the M1911 like the Mormon katana

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I didn't like Fallout New Vegas because I got to some bit with the president making a speech and I got up on the podium and started jumping around in front of him while the guards were saying like "get off the stage buddy!"

Anyway long story short they killed me and I hadn't saved for like an hour so I stopped playing.

This segment on a Legion run is super intense and awesome.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Smite is the funnest MOBA and it's not that great.

Anyways, here's my true opinion: RPG games that don't allow cosmetics/transmogs/etc fuckin suck. Monster Hunter World in particular is one of the biggest offenders.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cosmetics are development intensive. how do you feel about og j/rpgs where there were no cosmetics at all

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Frostpunk is the best city builder that I've played in years and it's barely even one of those

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
If frostpunk makes an actual dlc for their season pass I’ll be stoked but I’m still sour about Bridges being the only thing announced so far

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The White Dragon posted:

cosmetics are development intensive. how do you feel about og j/rpgs where there were no cosmetics at all

I should clarify. When an RPG doesn't let you change the appearance of gear independent of the stats of the gear, it's bad.

It's not bad in like FF6 where the armor changes stats but doesn't change your look. It is bad in a game like Dragon Age or Monster Hunter where you have a piece of gear that changes your stats and makes you look loving goofy, so you have to use the goofy appearance because the stats are better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok that's fair, i hear you

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

jokes posted:

I should clarify. When an RPG doesn't let you change the appearance of gear independent of the stats of the gear, it's bad.

It's not bad in like FF6 where the armor changes stats but doesn't change your look. It is bad in a game like Dragon Age or Monster Hunter where you have a piece of gear that changes your stats and makes you look loving goofy, so you have to use the goofy appearance because the stats are better.

I get where you are coming from but I disagree. Like, in Diablo 3 for example There's zero thrill to making your character look cool cause you can just do it all in a menu. there's nothing exciting about finding new stuff that looks cool.

I prefer something like Dark Souls where gear doesn't matter enough for it to outweigh the need to play fashion dress up.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Do people still play Diablo 3? That felt like it was going to be a gigantic game and reignite the franchise but then it just kind of dropped off the radar immediately...

[edit] drat diablo 3 came out in 2012 :psyduck:

time moves fast

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It sold really well on the switch last year so the game is still making money

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Hollow Knight is visually boring (monochrome looks like poo poo always) and I don't know if the gameplay gets any better later but so far it's engine demo quality. Also having to buy every feature of the map is just boring busywork.

I say this as a guy who loves metroidvanias.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Hollow Knight is visually boring (monochrome looks like poo poo always) and I don't know if the gameplay gets any better later but so far it's engine demo quality. Also having to buy every feature of the map is just boring busywork.

People will tell you to keep playing, but as a person who also loves metroidvanias and couldnt bring myself to finish Hollow Knight, I say screw them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Metroidvanias and Hollow Knight is probably the best one I've ever played imo. I didn't like the visuals at first but they grew on me.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zelda was the first Metroidvenia

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Super Mario Bros was the first metroidvania

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Collapsing Farts posted:

Do people still play Diablo 3?

I rebought it on switch and think its great, having said that i just got my necromancer to level 70 this weekend and I dont know ill go back and grind for late game loot but its a fair good "I'm watching sports on the main tv I need a handheld distraction" game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I can't help you if you don't like the graphics, but the game does get way better later as you unlock more movement skills and combat abilities. At first it's kind of a bad 2D Dark Souls, while later on it starts feeling like a real metroidvania.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

jokes posted:

Look at this retail wow player lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Collapsing Farts posted:

Do people still play Diablo 3? That felt like it was going to be a gigantic game and reignite the franchise but then it just kind of dropped off the radar immediately...

[edit] drat diablo 3 came out in 2012 :psyduck:

time moves fast

diablo 3 came out a year after torchlight 2, the launch of the latter of which was plagued with serious launch day/week server stress issues

guess how much blizzard gave a gently caress about that lesson

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most of the DLCs but Dead Money and OWB especially are designed to gently caress with the Stealth/Guns sniper characters everyone kept making

so you hate 12 monkeys

(dead money sucks rear end but OWB was awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only piece of fallout dlc I played was mothership zeta and it was Awful.