Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Broken: Jeffrey Epstein

It was mentioned on the last free episode TrueAnon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MizPiz posted:

Broken: Jeffrey Epstein

It was mentioned on the last free episode TrueAnon

Oh yeah, castbox keeps recommending that to me. I glad my knee jerk reaction that it was poo poo was correct.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I have it on good authority that TrueAnon is the only non-pedophile podcast on Epstein, so this isn't surprising.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Listening to the Eyes Wide Shut and JFK chapo episodes before falling asleep with a light fever made for some interesting dreams

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

will universal healthcare end blockwars??

Bernie gets on stage and starts telling people about bury my knee at wounded heart

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
good news: dasha is back from her acting gig in Thailand and Anna is back from her trip to Europe

Dasha is on a manic upswing thanks to her Wellbutrin and “a sip of Vyvanse water,” so it’s an unusually lively ep

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

thought the kubrick episode was poo poo. i thought it was going to be full on epstein brain fun and instead all they do is go through each scene making variations of the same joke about plot holes and bad dialogue. only right at the end do they actually discuss anything vaguely spooky relating to epstein. what was the point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The New York times has an epstein podcast that is running flak for the pedophile cabal.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

good news: dasha is back from her acting gig in Thailand and Anna is back from her trip to Europe

Dasha is on a manic upswing thanks to her Wellbutrin and “a sip of Vyvanse water,” so it’s an unusually lively ep

It's not remotely surprising dasha is into child sex tourism.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
If you don't like fake British accents you can listen to real ones here, with the SomethingAwful United Kingdom Marxism Thread's very own podcast of shitposty UK politics, episode 5 is just up. Featuring a news recap, a look at the lib dem conference, a VERY special reading series, and our signature guessing game, Comment or Commentariat. The added bonus is that you can harass us all right here on the forums without bothering with twitter.

https://praxiscast.podbean.com/e/episode-5-the-swinter-of-our-discontent/

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

gh0stpinballa posted:

thought the kubrick episode was poo poo. i thought it was going to be full on epstein brain fun and instead all they do is go through each scene making variations of the same joke about plot holes and bad dialogue. only right at the end do they actually discuss anything vaguely spooky relating to epstein. what was the point.

Yeah tbh I thought they were gonna get into that NY Post guy who consulted or some of the conspiracies around Kubrick's death, oh well

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gh0stpinballa posted:

Even ignoring the Epstein stuff, it was a let down. The "it's about how the upper-middle class feels bad about not being upper class" take really only works as a refutation of the "it's about pedo cabals" one. Other than being ejected from the orgy, his social class doesn't really affect him throughout the film.

Edit: I have to assume they were going out there way to make sure they didn't trigger a manic episode in Nick.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

yeah, a movie where the main character pays a prostitute without having sex with her, pays extra to rent a costume in the middle of the night, and pays a taxi driver to stick around outside the mansion, and each of these transactions is emphasized intently and at length, to show how he gets what he wants because he has money but only until a certain point, this all has nothing to do with class.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Uranium posted:

yeah, a movie where the main character pays a prostitute without having sex with her, pays extra to rent a costume in the middle of the night, and pays a taxi driver to stick around outside the mansion, and each of these transactions is emphasized intently and at length, to show how he gets what he wants because he has money but only until a certain point, this all has nothing to do with class.

That certain point isn't about his class, though. He literally just crashed a private party where, at least obstensibly, some nefarious poo poo was going down. While the reason he wasn't invited could've been because he wasn't rich or powerful enough, far more likely is that he's a socially awkward dumbass who repeats the last thing heard.

My point wasn't that this movie was classless, his character is explicitly supposed to a rich jackass, but the "upper-middle vs upper" conflict just doesn't factor in at all (unless you accept that it is about pedo cabals).

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Bip Roberts posted:

It's not remotely surprising dasha is into child sex tourism.

she admits in the ep that she almost accidentally hosed a pimply Russian 18-year old ex-pat who complimented her “Slavic beauty” so yeah, checks out

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MizPiz posted:

That certain point isn't about his class, though. He literally just crashed a private party where, at least obstensibly, some nefarious poo poo was going down. While the reason he wasn't invited could've been because he wasn't rich or powerful enough, far more likely is that he's a socially awkward dumbass who repeats the last thing heard.

My point wasn't that this movie was classless, his character is explicitly supposed to a rich jackass, but the "upper-middle vs upper" conflict just doesn't factor in at all (unless you accept that it is about pedo cabals).

The movie is obviously about a secret sex ring involving prostitution with questionable consent that they're willing to murder to cover up; the questions are just "did Kubrick mean to hint at child trafficking specifically" and "how much of it was based on secrets he personally knew about"

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

she admits in the ep that she almost accidentally hosed a pimply Russian 18-year old ex-pat who complimented her “Slavic beauty” so yeah, checks out

Yeah sure he was 18.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

it's redundant anyway really because kill list and true detective s1 are explicitly about the ruling class using murder, child abuse and cult rituals for pleasure and bonding. hell true detective even has a crooked spiral as a code for peds. so the most likely explanation about ews is it's a kinda boring drama about nyc elites with a take it or leave it suggestion of paedophilia at the end.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Y’all know Eyes Wide Shut is based off a 90 year old novella, right

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MizPiz posted:

not being invited to the cool orgy party sounds like a pretty clear class metaphor to me

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
just lol if you wanted Nick on the pod but thought he would "contribute" anything other than one or two slurs and a couple rape jokes. oh and a forced Tom Meyers reference for the real cum heads

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Autism Sneaks posted:

just lol if you wanted Nick on the pod but thought he would "contribute" anything other than one or two slurs and a couple rape jokes. oh and a forced Tom Meyers reference for the real cum heads

the only time i've found him bearable is the epstein ep he did with christman for some other podcast, even then he insisted on doing a weird af jamaican accent for some reason

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Y’all know Eyes Wide Shut is based off a 90 year old novella, right

yes, and the novella features far more realistic reactions to revelations of sexual fantasy. the characters' worldliness was deliberately negated in the screenplay. it's a conscious choice

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

kubrick, a coward, lacked the visionary courage of ben wheatley and cary fukunaga

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

MizPiz posted:

They straight up say that they knew he didn't belong at the party because "everyone else came in a limousine, and you showed up in a taxi." Sounds pretty class based!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so tired of finding a new podcast at the top of iTunes and having it be a true crime episodic. We're past peak true crime, people, stop doing it. Just listen to MFM and Casefile and shut up.

That said, I desperately need some new podcasts, because I haven't added any to my subscription list in a long time. Can anyone suggest some newer podcasts or ones that are less popular?

xtal has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Sep 22, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
True crime rips it's just too bad most of the shows suck balls

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I sort of fell off of following it after the last season break, but Our Fake History was a good one if you like history podcasts. It focuses on the myths surrounding historical events, and the historical events behind famous myths. The host is usually pretty careful to distinguish between things with evidence backing them up vs things that just make good stories, and the one time I remember him tripping up (uncritically passing along the "middle finger gesture started at Agincourt" myth) resulted in a whole episode on the myth and the actual history of the gesture. He also gets pretty excited every time something that seems like obvious bullshit turns out to be true (like Napoleon talking the regiment sent to arrest him into switching sides and kicking off the Hundred Days).

Edit: ahhhh poo poo he did an episode on Stalin, abort abort abort

Goon Danton has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Sep 22, 2019

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

...I think the British are comin' dude...

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

xtal posted:

I'm so tired of finding a new podcast at the top of iTunes and having it be a true crime episodic. We're past peak true crime, people, stop doing it. Just listen to MFM and Casefile and shut up.

That said, I desperately need some new podcasts, because I haven't added any to my subscription list in a long time. Can anyone suggest some newer podcasts or ones that are less popular?

some of the ex-Mic Dicta guys got together and started ALAB, it's got three episodes and they're p good

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

xtal posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that ghosts are going to be the hot ticket for popular podcasts soon

ghosts and paranormal events, unless that already ran its course

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1175812432058601472?s=19

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

True crime peaked with the Robert Durst doc, the only one where they actually catch the bastard and have a real life impact on bringing closure to the case

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
thin blue line is still the goat

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

there's a podcast im putting together that i just know will get called true crime, but it actually isnt, it's about capitalism and politics really. but yeah i don't really care for true crime tbh, altho to me "true crime" is a very definite genre with particular tropes etc.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

gh0stpinballa posted:

there's a podcast im putting together that i just know will get called true crime, but it actually isnt, it's about capitalism and politics really. but yeah i don't really care for true crime tbh, altho to me "true crime" is a very definite genre with particular tropes etc.

just do it in a true crime style but focus on capitalists

“today on the guillotine files: a woman was found dead after she didn’t show up to her amazon warehouse job. police at the scene noticed she didn’t have any insulin. we investigate to find the true killer, Jeff Bezos, or the pharma CEO. but first a word from our sponsor: do you hate your mattress?”

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Big thanks for last few suggestions! I love ALAB

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

“today on the guillotine files: a woman was found dead after she didn’t show up to her amazon warehouse job. police at the scene noticed she didn’t have any insulin. we investigate to find the true killer, Jeff Bezos, or the pharma CEO. but first a word from our sponsor: do you hate your mattress?”

this is a good gimmick. sell it as true crime and just focus on billionaires doing a capitalism

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

haha not a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/poaststructural/status/1175926423284015109?s=19