Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GrandmaParty posted:

I just broke and bought a switch. I'm an indie games nerd. What titles are on the switch e-shop exclusive that I should know about?

Already planned to buy:
-Goose Game
-Golf Story
-Sayonara Hearts

Already owned:
-Celeste
-Shovel Knight
-Hollow Knight
-Basically anything with a pc release.

Goose game is available on PC. Sayonara is available on Apple Arcade. “Switch exclusive indies” is a tough genre to nail down because a lot of them are available elsewhere.

That being said, buy Broforce

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Absolutely incredible that the second best game of 2019 (after DOOM Eternal) is a game where you're a goose and you bully some nerd.

Sorry Rockstar games, you’ve sat on the Bully franchise for too long without doing jack poo poo with it. Untitled Goose Game is the true Bully 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

Took Goose Game over to a friend's house last night and my purchase was justified in how much fun they had bring an rear end in a top hat goose. I think I'm almost done with the story? Just have to drop the bucket on the burly man

I just played through it all in one sitting and can confirm that you're near the end. However after you've beaten the game you get a bunch of extra post-game to-do items to do around the village.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finished Super Metroid this morning at 88% items collected. This game is still the best in it's class. I haven't played through it in over ten years and I realize the game does so many things I live in games just right. Especially exploring the world. You can play through with a "linear" path going from item to item to open the next path or you can sequence break to really crack open the game. Both paths are equally fun! This time I played it through and didn't let myself go out of order. I played it how I did when I first played 25 years ago as a kid. The experience holds up. I really don't think it's nostalgia. I think it's a solid game.

If you haven't played Super Mefroid yet, do it!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've met my current wall in Celeste. I'm on the stage in Ch. 9 where there's a moving bounce platform which you have to follow through a crystal maze. The first step though is really killing me, since you have to bounce a bomb fish off the spring, dash up and use the explosion to propel you forward only to land on the spring again and continue through to a pink crystal and some wall jumping.

I made it to the wall jump once... I can't figure out the timing to consistently bounce the fish off the spring and boy. Still don't know why people have said wave-dashing is necessary though, I guess I haven't made it that far yet.

You’ll know when wave-dashing is necessary because it’ll explicitly have a tutorial on how to do it.

Also CH9 only gets much, much harder. I’m stuck having to set an arrow block in motion, wave-dash through a maze of spikes past it and boost up just right to quick-wall-jump off of the arrow block. This is only the first 1/3 of the screen. I get it about 1% of the time and can’t beat the rest of the level because I can’t practice it but once every 5-10 minutes.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

I finished Super Metroid this morning at 88% items collected. This game is still the best in it's class. I haven't played through it in over ten years and I realize the game does so many things I live in games just right. Especially exploring the world. You can play through with a "linear" path going from item to item to open the next path or you can sequence break to really crack open the game. Both paths are equally fun! This time I played it through and didn't let myself go out of order. I played it how I did when I first played 25 years ago as a kid. The experience holds up. I really don't think it's nostalgia. I think it's a solid game.

If you haven't played Super Mefroid yet, do it!

I started it having not played Metroid since the NES one when I was like 8. I started by going left and down and kept going until I got to a place where I could not go further, and in fact the door behind me was locked and I was going to have to start over from the intro movie and I remembered why I didn't like Metroid and said gently caress it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The way the crane physics interact with the seashells in Awakening should be labeled a loving war crime.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got the ending in AI this morning! Took me about 20 hours, but I then again read pretty quickly. I also have a decent amount of collectables that I missed, I'll probably get around to that eventually.

Overall, I really liked it. The characters were all fantastic, all the questions I had were answered, and while the plot isn't as bugfuck insane as VLR or ZTD it's still got plenty of twists and turns. Despite Date being a perv as often as he could be, the game overall feels more wholesome and optimistic than Uchikoshi's previous works.

I really hope it does well enough for Spike Chunsoft to greenlight another game from Uchikoshi. It's absolutely the most involving and engaging visual novel I've played, mostly in part to the onscreen characters reacting and moving during conversations. Here's hoping that Level-5 and Capcom are paying attention and do something similar for the next Phoenix Wright or Layton game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

The way the crane physics interact with the seashells in Awakening should be labeled a loving war crime.

I had a shell land on the left side of the crane

THE LEFT

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Riven posted:

I started it having not played Metroid since the NES one when I was like 8. I started by going left and down and kept going until I got to a place where I could not go further, and in fact the door behind me was locked and I was going to have to start over from the intro movie and I remembered why I didn't like Metroid and said gently caress it.

Getting permanently stuck in Super Metroid is impossible.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
As someone who was kinda sour on Zero Time Dilemma's ending I'm really excited at seeing all the positive opinions for AI and I'm definitely gonna pick it up once I'm done with Link's Awakening.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
me playing Link's Awakening

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

Then I guess that’s how terrible I am lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wildtortilla posted:

There's one bit that very hard to get out of if you're a stupid kid who doesn't realise the aliens are trying to teach you to wall jump

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

There's one bit that very hard to get out of if you're a stupid 35 year old who doesn't realise the aliens are trying to teach you to wall jump

FTFY

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

asecondduck posted:

Got the ending in AI this morning! Took me about 20 hours, but I then again read pretty quickly. I also have a decent amount of collectables that I missed, I'll probably get around to that eventually.

Overall, I really liked it. The characters were all fantastic, all the questions I had were answered, and while the plot isn't as bugfuck insane as VLR or ZTD it's still got plenty of twists and turns. Despite Date being a perv as often as he could be, the game overall feels more wholesome and optimistic than Uchikoshi's previous works.

I really hope it does well enough for Spike Chunsoft to greenlight another game from Uchikoshi. It's absolutely the most involving and engaging visual novel I've played, mostly in part to the onscreen characters reacting and moving during conversations. Here's hoping that Level-5 and Capcom are paying attention and do something similar for the next Phoenix Wright or Layton game.

How’s the switch version? I read performance isn’t great but I read that about every game now so idk anymore

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Regy Rusty posted:

I still don't see what's strange about this. Before Doom 2016 came out people were cynical about it. It proved them wrong in the biggest way possible so that cynicism is gone for the sequel and people expect it to be as amazing or more so than the first.

But also as Andrast just said nothing is universal anyway and there are people who think everything along the spectrum of bad to amazing. Hell there's even people who hated Doom 2016, and while those people are wrong they still exist and probably aren't very excited about Eternal.

It's funny because goons are the first to smugly post "marketing doesn't work on me" but then see a trailer and immediately slam judge things based on the marketing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

It's funny because goons are the first to smugly post "marketing doesn't work on me" but then see a trailer and immediately slam judge things based on the marketing

uh sure

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My older son has saved enough money to buy a switch.

1. Is now an okay time to get one?
2. Should we wait a few months for the holidays? Are new releases planned?
3. I am skeptical about getting a used one from, like, Mega replay. Should we just get new? $50 doesn't seem worth the potential trouble.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

", he posted smugly

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

dwarf74 posted:

3. I am skeptical about getting a used one from, like, Mega replay. Should we just get new? $50 doesn't seem worth the potential trouble.

Yes
There's lots of new games coming all the time a big library already there's no reason to wait.
Get a new one. The new model refresh comes with double the battery life.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

There was just a refresh of the OG switch and a lite version. I’m guessing there wont be new hardware versions for a long while, if ever. If you want the OG switch, get the red box version.

There is no reason to wait for one.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 22, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

dwarf74 posted:

Just make sure it's the red box switch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nachos posted:

How’s the switch version? I read performance isn’t great but I read that about every game now so idk anymore

There are some issues, not gonna lie. Nothing gamebreaking, per se, but there's a thing that the game does where it will load in a clip of something that happened previously and the load times for those clips range from instant to as long as, like, ten seconds. There's some frameskipping and stuttering, too.

That said, the frameskipping and stuttering doesn't actually effect gameplay--they most often appear during loading sections. The clip loading delay is an annoyance (especially during one section, where I tried to fast forward through stuff I'd already seen--what should have been maybe thirty seconds of sped up dialog turned into a minutes-long process of the game pausing to load a clip just to immediately close it, and then pausing again to load another :v:)... but, having played both docked and portable, I'd recommend portable, and you only get that with the Switch version.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Thanks all!

He wants the original one so he can play on the TV. The lite is well and good, but not what he is looking for.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Len posted:

Wait aren’t you complaining about people thinking it was bad when it wasn’t?

Do you think they marketed as a bad game?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

Thanks all!

He wants the original one so he can play on the TV. The lite is well and good, but not what he is looking for.

just to be clear, when they say new switch they mean the normal switch with a red box instead of a white one - it has stronger battery life

i went with an old one myself when i bought it a couple weeks ago just because in my the new model is way more exp in local currency and more importantly didn't have local warranty.

if the price diff is negligible the new model seems well worth it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

They kind of did tbh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The old model and new model are the same price in the US. It’s just down to if your local retailer is trying to clear out old whiteboxes still or not

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I’d pay an extra $5 per year for eShop Premium where the only new feature is a shovelware filter. Maybe this is the long con from Nintendo.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I know the frame rate is the thing to talk about in Links Awakening, but is there no rumble in this game?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

GrandmaParty posted:

I just broke and bought a switch. I'm an indie games nerd. What titles are on the switch e-shop exclusive that I should know about?

Already planned to buy:
-Goose Game
-Golf Story
-Sayonara Hearts

Already owned:
-Celeste
-Shovel Knight
-Hollow Knight
-Basically anything with a pc release.

You need to drop whatever it is that you're doing and pick up PIKUNIKU. It is like a playable snarky children's book and it has 2-player coop. Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood I'll put on the soundtrack and it picks me right up.

Also consider:

-Dandara (trippy 2D metroidvania where up is down and down is up and also sometimes left and right)
-Wandersong (lovely adventure game with a great sense of humor where all you can do is sing)
-The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories (gruesome puzzle-platformer with lots of heart)
-River City Girls (River City Ransom, only it's the girls rescuing the guys this time and one of your special moves is a dab)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pre-launch goon buzz for the game was it was a garbage game because apparently the marketing only showed off the phoned in multiplayer which meant the game was going to be poo poo

It's similar to RE7 being a bad game with no combat that was just copying Outlast

And The Evil Within have an immortal ghost that chases you through the entire game and one shots you if it touches you

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Len posted:

Pre-launch goon buzz for the game was it was a garbage game because apparently the marketing only showed off the phoned in multiplayer which meant the game was going to be poo poo

It's similar to RE7 being a bad game with no combat that was just copying Outlast

And The Evil Within have an immortal ghost that chases you through the entire game and one shots you if it touches you

Sir this is an untitled goose game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stop acting like a loving weirdo over poo poo you keep making up in your own head to justify your anger at ~gamerz~ and just chill and enjoy video games.

Who loving cares how people acted before, you're obsessed with the past like a drat fool. Live in the loving present.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

HONK

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Merkinman posted:

I know the frame rate is the thing to talk about in Links Awakening, but is there no rumble in this game?

There’s rumble but it’s barely used.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

They kind of did tbh

I mean like on purpose.

The marketing seems to have failed at what they wanted it to do

Mega64
May 23, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean like on purpose.

The marketing seems to have failed at what they wanted it to do

I can't believe it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mega64 posted:

Stop acting like a loving weirdo over poo poo you keep making up in your own head to justify your anger at ~gamerz~ and just chill and enjoy video games.

Who loving cares how people acted before, you're obsessed with the past like a drat fool. Live in the loving present.

Nah man my ridiculous forum gimmick is pointing out when goons slam judge things and end up wrong. I do it all the time over in CineD and the horror game thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean like on purpose

Wouldn't be the first time. Nintendo spent quite a bit of money convincing people that Earthbound sucked.