Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Any news on Spotify offline support? It’s the main thing keeping me to a Garmin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Its not gonna take that long.

I let it run overnight so the update took anywhere between 3 and 6 hours, but yeah you’re right

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I let it run overnight, now it’s stuck on this

And my watch is in the “put it next to the phone” mode.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Goddamn, the screen on the 5 is so much nicer than the 3.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Goddamn, the screen on the 5 is so much nicer than the 3.

Nooooo

I have an Apple store burning a hole in my pocket.

I need to resist. The 5 is looking pretty great but my 3 is still going strong.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Any news on Spotify offline support? It’s the main thing keeping me to a Garmin

I’ve heard something of them adding some feature like this in the latest beta? Still waiting for Spotify to go all in and let me use cell service.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So here's a weird one for you.

My Watch keeps prompting me to enter the password for my Apple ID. The problem is, it won't tell me which app or service wants it. I am not going to enter it until I know what wants it. Any way you can think for me to find out?

My iPhone isn't nagging me for anything nor is my iMac.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

My Watch keeps prompting me to enter the password for my Apple ID. The problem is, it won't tell me which app or service wants it. I am not going to enter it until I know what wants it. Any way you can think for me to find out?

The watch is asking for your password? On the watch? How does it want you to enter it?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I could be wrong but it sounds like that's for Activation Lock. It's used when you are pairing, unpairing, or using your watch for the first time with the feature enabled.

Generally speaking, a non-contextual request for your Apple ID/password means that the watch needs it for what are a pretty narrow range of permissions/security.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Nooooo

Honestly, if the battery on my 3 wasn’t dying, I would have held off another year or so.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Taima posted:

I could be wrong but it sounds like that's for Activation Lock. It's used when you are pairing, unpairing, or using your watch for the first time with the feature enabled.

Generally speaking, a non-contextual request for your Apple ID/password means that the watch needs it for what are a pretty narrow range of permissions/security.

I'll check that. Thanks. Not a new Watch or phone., but I did update it to WatchOS 6 when it dropped. Maybe it's related.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Nooooo

:getin:

Going 3 to 5 too, although still waiting cause I ordered the Nike one which isn’t out till 10/4? :argh:
Technically also going 2 to 3 for my beater watch I keep in a case and use for climbing, so pretty big upgrade there too with how drat slow the 2 is.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My 2 is still going strong, I hope the 6 introduces a slimmer housing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is that the “to complete purchase” notification that keeps popping up? I’m getting that and even when I said duck it and tried to enter the password verification failed. It seems to ask me less than it did the first day but still randomly pops up. Hopefully they’ll address it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, didn’t realize that series 3 gets very few of the new watch faces with watchOS 6. Just Numerals Duo and Numerals Mono which are super basic and have no complications.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Still no digital watch face that includes seconds :(

I just want my watch to look like a Casio

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

smackfu posted:

Huh, didn’t realize that series 3 gets very few of the new watch faces with watchOS 6. Just Numerals Duo and Numerals Mono which are super basic and have no complications.

Yeah it's pretty drat annoying and transparently just to get people to upgrade. Bloody Apple.

It's kind of working on me though, I do wish I had the money for a series 5.

FCKGW posted:

Still no digital watch face that includes seconds :(

I just want my watch to look like a Casio

Activity Digital does.

But yeah I wish there were more digital watch faces in general. Why can't we get a digital or analogue option for every face?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I jumped from a 40mm Aluminum S4 to a 44mm SS S5 and it loving ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuules. The always-on is absolutely worth the upgrade. Having the time and complications always available at a glance while at the desk or in bed without having to do the dumb flick wrist to my face so it turns on is such a nice change.

Everything else is absolutely the same and not worth upgrading over but I'm incredible dumb and they had them in stock when I went to the store yesterday.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I jumped from a 40mm Aluminum S4 to a 44mm SS S5 and it loving ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuules

Thoughts on Aluminium vs SS? I'm Aluminium S3 currently and considering SS when I get an S5 but heard it might feel significantly heavier (and obviously the cost)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

101 posted:

Thoughts on Aluminium vs SS? I'm Aluminium S3 currently and considering SS when I get an S5 but heard it might feel significantly heavier (and obviously the cost)
...that’s basically it. The weight difference is relative, noticeably heavier but it’s still a pretty small light object on your wrist. It’s easy to get used to and forget about the difference unless you’re regularly switching between watches or something. And even then still...it’s not a big deal.

Well otherwise it’s shiny in both forms. Silver SS will get abrasions, the gold coating is more resistant in theory (haven’t kept track of that myself since it never interested me), and black is really drat resistant, technically harder than the sapphire on the hardness scale I think? Issue with black/gold is if it scratches you’ll have the base metal showing, whereas with just SS everything can be buffed out. Aluminum has the same issue but it’s held up fine enough for me to not give a drat. But I’m not as anal as some folks either so ymmv.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone else noticing bad battery performance on their 5? Even if I don’t work out, it’s down into power reserve an hour or two before I go to bed.

With my 3, I could work out (even go for an outdoor run on LTE with music) for an hour and still end the day at 30-40%.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone else noticing bad battery performance on their 5? Even if I don’t work out, it’s down into power reserve an hour or two before I go to bed.

With my 3, I could work out (even go for an outdoor run on LTE with music) for an hour and still end the day at 30-40%.

That definitely doesn’t sound right for a 2 day old watch. Do a full restore of it and see if that changes anything. I’d visit the Apple store, if not then.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Do you have the noise level monitor on? I was reading about this feature maybe being at fault

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

god this blows posted:

Do you have the noise level monitor on? I was reading about this feature maybe being at fault

No clue but I assume it’s on by default. :lol: if one of their new features is draining the hell out of the battery.

I’m doing a restore now so we’ll see if that helps.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

No clue but I assume it’s on by default. :lol: if one of their new features is draining the hell out of the battery.

I’m doing a restore now so we’ll see if that helps.

I sure as hell hope not too. I’m about to upgrade from a series 1 to a series 5

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

god this blows posted:

Not to justify it, but buying an Apple product right at launch means you risk dealing with bugs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
This is the longest 650 megabyte download I’ve had in a decade from one of the 5 largest tech companies in the world. I’ve set aside 2 hours 4 times now to implement this update and it never even stores the half-downloaded update file. What a loving joke.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

god this blows posted:

I’ve had that on my 4 for a week now (I installed the GM early) and I haven’t noticed a big difference in battery performance.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

god this blows posted:

I guess your upgrade plan is off the table forever. A real shame.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Finally jumped on the Apple Watch bandwagon after mulling over buying one for 3 or 4 years now. It seems like the Series 5 is a good time to jump on board - if I could have afforded it, I definitely would have spent a little extra on a titanium/sapphire version.

In the mean time, I picked up like a dozen Chinese bands from Aliexpress for like $25, along with a nice handmade leather band from Etsy.

Does anybody know if there are any good Homekit-related apps for Apple Watch? I'm not the biggest fan of Apple's idea of filling up the Watch's screen with a giant button for each individual HomeKit device. Somebody should release a Homekit complication that lets you easily swipe between pages of Homekit items.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 22, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Some possible help here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/d7rbe3/psa_battery_drain_fix/

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Force restarting a device doesn't have any magical powers so yeah, the same advice un-pair and re-pair applies to pretty much anything janky with the Apple Watch

I've been running the noise complication on my S4 since release and haven't had any problems but I did see something about battery drain on the S5 on one of the Mac sites out there. More anecdotal evidence, but we're getting 13.1 and iPadOS this week so hopefully there's a watch update as well.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
My watch just came and I love it already! Coming from a fitbit I have the step counter sorted by using Pedometer but I’d like to track sleep. What’s a good app to do that with?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks.

Didn’t help, still almost dead at 9pm. I’ll give it another week or so before I try to bring it to the Apple store.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

hadji murad posted:

My watch just came and I love it already! Coming from a fitbit I have the step counter sorted by using Pedometer but I’d like to track sleep. What’s a good app to do that with?

I quite like Pillow, the free version only shows you info for the day, and you need to pay for the historical info - can’t remember if its one time or subscription though.

e: It’s one time.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks, will check out the trial.

Two more things:

You can’t view Notes on the watch????

and

How do you download podcasts to the watch via Pocket Casts? There’s a section that says Downloads but it appears it does nothing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m on the 13.1 public beta and while I don’t recall PB4 having watch battery issues my yesterday usage seemed right in line the with the 18 hour estimate. It was a pretty relaxed day mostly moving around the house. Enough to fill the move quota and from a full charge starting at around 10-11 it was down to 50% by 10pm. I have the audio warning and always on screen enabled so I’m expecting it to use a little more juice. With the S4 I could easily go a day and a half between charges of use was minimal.

The screen may be keeping the watch right on it’s estimated use of just a day. Not a big worry for me since I have chargers at home and work so I can top it off while in the office so I can use it for sleep tracking.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

hadji murad posted:

I can't recommend AutoSleep enough. It's not free, but works like a charm and gives you more information about your sleep than you could possibly imagine. Nice UI as well.

Has a companion app AutoWake that does that "wake you up when you're body is primed" things that I also use.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I need to replace one of the band release buttons from the back of my series 1 and can’t seem to find a part or broken watch that fits the appropriate costs. Anyone have any thoughts on how I can get it? I also don’t even know if I can just add the button or would have to replace the whole back case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

hadji murad posted:

How do you download podcasts to the watch via Pocket Casts? There’s a section that says Downloads but it appears it does nothing.

You can't download podcasts directly to the Watch using PocketCasts yet. From their site:

quote:

Quickly change volume, skip ahead or find something else to listen to straight from your Apple Watch.

The Downloads section in the phone app and Watch app is just listing files downloaded to your phone. Hopefully they add it soon. :O

Edit: Yeah, just double checked, consider the Watch app a remote control for the phone app that you have to have near by.