Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Same goes for people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m pretty sure if I bred a chihuahua and a great dane it would not live an average amount.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Rolo posted:

I’m pretty sure if I bred a chihuahua and a great dane it would not live an average amount.

Of course not. It'd be slightly longer since mixed breeds tend to have less health issues. :v:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had a Chihuahua/shi tzu/Pomeranian mix that lived to be 16 and only really slowed down in his last 2 years or so. He was basically a puppy until then. But he inherited the Chihuahua tendency to seize and that's what eventually took him out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait what about cats do the big ones last longer? Mine is pretty meaty (7kg iirc) and approximately a decade old.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks again.

On the flannel thing: If it's gonna ride up then gently caress that, but wind chill probably won't be an issue - I was specifically thinking of alternatives to a heavy leather jacket for the 100+ degree summer days that we get here and I should have said that.

Mileage: Good to know, but weird that most for sale seem to be 10-25k km. Guess those are the ones people "upgraded" from once their restricted license finished.

E: my tiny pommy mutt dog lived to be 20.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 17, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A cat's purpose is to become as round as possible

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Wait what about cats do the big ones last longer? Mine is pretty meaty (7kg iirc) and approximately a decade old.

Domestic moggys can live for 20 years ish. Purebreds tend to have somewhat shorter lifespans because of the eugenic horrors required to make them, though it's not universally true. I've never heard of size being a factor in cat lifespan. The biggest factor is whether they're kept indoors or not. Outdoor cats are at risk of early death from cars and other animals (hawks, snakes, dogs etc). Chances are good that if you keep a cat indoors, they'll last until their kidneys pack up. That always seems to be the inevitable weak point.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Carth Dookie posted:

Domestic moggys can live for 20 years ish. Purebreds tend to have somewhat shorter lifespans because of the eugenic horrors required to make them, though it's not universally true. I've never heard of size being a factor in cat lifespan. The biggest factor is whether they're kept indoors or not. Outdoor cats are at risk of early death from cars and other animals (hawks, snakes, dogs etc). Chances are good that if you keep a cat indoors, they'll last until their kidneys pack up. That always seems to be the inevitable weak point.
I've got a 2013 Cat that started out on the motocross circuit. PO took ownership and did some work on it after that ended and it was mostly a dualsport for a while, now I've got it and it's show only, garage kept. Runs well and in really good shape other than a purely cosmetic scratch on the front fairing (from the motocross days.)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
getting a bigger bike because you're fat is just going to mean your crater in that car you target fixated is gonna be a lot bigger

just get a 300 and lose some pounds tubby

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What if I got a bigger bike because I am too tall

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Heath posted:

What if I got a bigger bike because I am too tall

Get a 300 and lose some inches, biggo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Razzled posted:

getting a bigger bike because you're fat is just going to mean your crater in that car you target fixated is gonna be a lot bigger

just get a 300 and lose some pounds tubby

Not everyone target fixates on a mailbox and crashes there first ride y'know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah! It took me two days, give me some credit!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Elviscat posted:

My brain is too scared to fixate on cars but the first time I practiced a slow U turn in a suburb it was so hard to force my eyes off the mailbox I had to turn inside of.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Elviscat posted:

Yeah but I’ve still got my arms

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I only buy the finest of sleeveless riding gear to ensure I lose my arms in any major 600+cc fueled collision.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I don’t think you’re backpanther

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

For all we know, he may have a giant back panther tattoo. Or maybe something even worse? But it's hard to beat this

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Backpanther is not a man, it's a state of consciousness.

And also a man.

With one arm and a giant panther tattoo on his back.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Elviscat posted:

With one arm and a giant, lovely panther tattoo on his back.

Not only did he get a giant panther tattoo, he got a really bad one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

First “night” ride tonight. Headed out at sunset and did a bit of my small town as it grew to pitch black.

Not bad. Definitely more anxious and cautious than I am during the day, but overall I was okay. My biggest annoyance was that I’d sometimes lose the road in the contrast against oncoming car headlights, something I don’t experience while driving on four wheels. Found that my clear visor glares a little so I rode with it up for parts.

Onward and upward. Going to do my first out of town road trip this weekend to see some friends a few cities over. Nothing drastic, but my first 1+ hour ride that isn’t just circling my dumb city.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Are anti glare visors a thing? Getting anti glare coating on my glasses made a bigger difference to my comfort in night time (car) driving than the mild vision correction they give me.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
How is your headlight? Going to a good LED really helped me at night (JW Speaker). You can also check that your vertical alignment is right, so it’s not pointing into the air.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's a crime that they put the shittiest headlights on low-displacement bikes, my R1 had the best headlights of any vehicle I've ever owned, it helps, I hate my single FZ6 headlight with a passion.

Other than that, you kinda have to train your brain to ignore the superfluous reflections on your visor, it's a pain for me, but it gets better the more you ride at night.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I know it's kind of dumb, but I get away riding visor up in dry weather here in Denver, at least off the freeway. We just really don't have bugs.

I know, i'm going to eat a rock to the teeth.

Actually I don't mind leaving the visor down but cracked up one notch, but for some reason I just really dislike it down all the way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My new GT air doesn't have the visor-lock/crack lever that my old RF-1200 did, and it makes me really sad, because the smallest amount I can open it blows air at a less comfortable speed/angle into my eyes than just having it fully open.

Put your visor down at speed though, you're gonna take a bee/rock to the eyeball some day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think my headlight is alright but to be honest I was always well lit by street lights so I wasn’t often in a situation where I totally relied on the bike to light my way. I will have to look at alignment screw because aiming it in my garage door when I pulled back in felt slightly lower than it ought to be. Technically it should have been a fail on my safety inspection but I wouldn’t at all be surprised if they just rubber stamped that once they saw the lights actually working and didn’t bother to check position.

As for whether it would help me keep contrast between headlights and road? Maybe. I think this is just something where the combination of visor glare and bright oncoming lights made me think I could see less of the oncoming road than I could. I’ll keep at the night riding since the days are getting shorter and it’ll be good to build up comfort.

I actually don’t really like riding with the visor up because of the noise and I’ve been bug’d at low speed before. I’ll crack it at long stops and super slow movement sometimes. I’ll usually slap it down once I’m not operating the clutch though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I fuckin love my 1290’s headlight. best headlight I’ve ever had on anything. the cornering lights whip rear end and actually do an amazing job

speaking of which, I left at 04:00am this morning, so I got to use them :D

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

I only buy the finest of sleeveless riding gear to ensure I lose my arms in any major 600+cc fueled collision.

Who tf buys a vest to show THOSE off 😑

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Elviscat posted:

My new GT air doesn't have the visor-lock/crack lever that my old RF-1200 did, and it makes me really sad, because the smallest amount I can open it blows air at a less comfortable speed/angle into my eyes than just having it fully open.

Put your visor down at speed though, you're gonna take a bee/rock to the eyeball some day.

A small piece if door edge guards on the bottom of the visor was the old school method of having it open just a bit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm a big ol broken record about this but do yourself a favor and put a cyclops 10000 lumen led bulb in there. It will be one of the greatest things you ever buy for your bike, and you can take it with you to the next bike you get down the line. They make theirs to work really well with DOT reflectors, and the color rendition of the leds they use is fantastic.

Literal night and day difference to what you have now. I promise.

Martytoof posted:

I actually don’t really like riding with the visor up because of the noise and I’ve been bug’d at low speed before. I’ll crack it at long stops and super slow movement sometimes. I’ll usually slap it down once I’m not operating the clutch though.

This is good. You can't replace an eye and the probability of picking up a bug or rock in the face is high.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Fall Chat: this’ll be my first cold riding season! I’m in NC so I won’t be riding in actual daytime freezing temps but I’m sure I’ll have some days in the lower 50s and 40s.

-Tire concerns. I’m assuming just watch the pressures and make sure to give them more time to warm up? I have Dunlop SportMAXXX GPR300’s. Will those be good in colder temps or will it be like that mustang riding summer tires in winter?

-My bike will be in an open parking garage so while it won’t get iced on, it’ll get below freezing at night and some days. Anything to do other than let it warm up plenty before riding? Any battery concerns?

-Will a full face keep my head warm enough with the vents closed? I should be good neck down, I have lots of warm moisture wicking base layers for hiking and camping I can throw under my gear and my jacket has a zip in liner on top of that.

This is all for sunny riding as well, I’ll either avoid longer rides where I may get caught in weather or buy actual winter rain gear.

alr
May 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

I have Dunlop SportMAXXX GPR300’s. Will those be good in colder temps or will it be like that mustang riding summer tires in winter?

-My bike will be in an open parking garage so while it won’t get iced on, it’ll get below freezing at night and some days. Anything to do other than let it warm up plenty before riding? Any battery concerns?

-Will a full face keep my head warm enough with the vents closed? I should be good neck down, I have lots of warm moisture wicking base layers for hiking and camping I can throw under my gear and my jacket has a zip in liner on top of that.

This is all for sunny riding as well, I’ll either avoid longer rides where I may get caught in weather or buy actual winter rain gear.

- Your tyres are fine, just be more careful in the cold and wet in general
- It'll be fine. I just let it idle while I put my helmet and gloves on, then once I'm moving wait until it's warmed up properly before going WOT. I've left my bike unattended for 3 months in a carport while travelling and it fired straight up. You'll want to lube your chain more often if it's raining though
- Probably depends more on the person, but I"m a wimp and use a Wool Buff knock-off at anything below like 10 celcius. Moto-branded stuff is usually super overpriced
- Someone here recommended going to a camping store and grabbing a cheaper rain oversuit instead of spending $$ on motorcycle specific stuff. I did that and just keep it in my tankbag for emergencies, it works fine. I use it for heavy rain in commutes too even though I have proper waterproof textiles, because their nylon construction will hold water even if the waterproof membrane keeps you dry

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I wore a balaclava from Costco under a ‘MX’ helmet last winter (London). It wasn’t too bad.

But your hands. Make sure your hands are warm and dry. I wore my Knox Orsas, which are not waterproof or insulated. Heated grips cranked to max helped.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Horse Clocks posted:

But your hands. Make sure your hands are warm and dry. I wore my Knox Orsas, which are not waterproof or insulated. Heated grips cranked to max helped.

This is the thing I’m planning to spend on. I have some warm moisture wicking REI liners that fit comfortably under my AlpineStars but we’ll see how warm it is in practice.

I do have a Buff that I can pull over my neck and parts of my head, so that may help up top. My Bell helmet also goes a good job of keeping direct wind from coming in the bottom.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Buy snowmobile gloves with good armour.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm in SoCal so the 50s is cold for me, but a long time ago someone on here recommended a neck gaitor and they are seriously a game changer. Cheap and easy to pack, but there are times where just that makes up for having an extra jacket under my bike jacket.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did a nice longer ride today. 1hr each way. In the morning when everything was calm I had a great time. This afternoon the wind picked up across open farmland and, holy poo poo guys, planet earth is trying to actively shove me into oncoming traffic. Not cool. I’ll remember this next time I have to choose between the garbage can or recycling bin, planet.

I am still hesitant to crack 90kph, but I still find myself with loosely goosey legs not gripping the tank. Once I do grip I feel rock solid and more stable at speed. Just muscle memory I have to build. I’ll still coming into corners slowly (well, slower.. usually a few blips under the speed limit) which seemed to annoy drivers behind me, rightfully. Need to work on my leaning and cornering.

Overall a good ride that reinforced what I needed to practice. I noticed a few times that shifting wasn’t even something I gave conscious thought to for the most part. I shifted when it felt right, and everything was smooth, both up and down. I did minimal coasting to stops, and only when there was no one behind me in case I needed to kick into speed.

Ninja 250 seat leaves something to be desired for seat at about an hour in. Riding back I definitely had a case of the numb booty.

I am still searching for the perfect mix of “see to the side” and “see who’s behind me” in my side mirrors. I know they’re for seeing to your side but often I like to see who’s on my rear end.

What else.. What else.. just had a great ride. Cranked some music and enjoyed the open country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I am still searching for the perfect mix of “see to the side” and “see who’s behind me” in my side mirrors. I know they’re for seeing to your side but often I like to see who’s on my rear end.

Your mirrors should be set up for a mix of side/behind as you describe - I usually have my left mirror set up to view slightly more to the rear and the right slightly more to the side. You can get a pair of small convex blind spot mirrors that you can put in the corners of your regular mirrors, too.

Always look over your shoulder before you make any lane changes; checking the mirror isn't enough. Shoulder checking before turns on roads with bike lanes is a good habit to get into.