Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

To be honest I never thought Fire Emblem's tactics were that great, there's not a whole lot going on on the battlefield. The fun is very much in the leveling up, equipping, and customizing your units stuff, the actual combat might as well be automated for the most part. Kind of like a lot of traditional jrpg's.

I think combat arts and gambits make Three House's tactics more engaging than most past games just because you have more choices every turn.

Chronojam posted:

You can skip or automate the downtime if you don't need it which is sweet

This gives that nagging feeling of "I'm screwing up my characters development", which, true the game is pretty easy, but is still a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

To be honest I never thought Fire Emblem's tactics were that great, there's not a whole lot going on on the battlefield. The fun is very much in the leveling up, equipping, and customizing your units stuff, the actual combat might as well be automated for the most part. Kind of like a lot of traditional jrpg's.

How many fire emblems have you played because that is extremely not true

I can understand that opinion if your experience with fire emblem is like Awakening, Birthright and SoV but not really otherwise

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I wouldn't say it's downright automated but the tried and tested approach of turtling through maps is the most effective strategy for 99.9 percent of all situations in any FE game

Course, in games like Sacred Stones your main units are individual map-clearing monstrosities by the mid game unless you purposely go out of your way to stay underpowered. I can't speak much for the SNES games though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s kind of most tactical games, Xcom had the same issues that 2 tried to address, kinda

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I wouldn't say it's downright automated but the tried and tested approach of turtling through maps is the most effective strategy for 99.9 percent of all situations in any FE game

That's why the best ones don't let you do it

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Fire Emblem has a ton of issues from being too ambitious and yet, it’s amazing.

However people overanalyzing and projecting onto the characters is a little much. I think anime does that to people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Who is over analyzing or projecting.

Like you tubers or something.

That’s how you get the views

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 22, 2019

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I need a "Bernie Bros" bumpersticker thats like better than the one that we had floating around otherwise FE tree houses only failing is its doesnt cover 100 years of the school

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Three Houses has ascended the Fire Emblem series to the tier of Nintendo franchises where nerds can't stop having hot takes about it. Welcome to the club, anime game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Odd Mutant posted:

Three Houses has ascended the Fire Emblem series to the tier of Nintendo franchises where nerds can't stop having hot takes about it. Welcome to the club, anime game.

Hell yeah

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Is there an extension that replaces "hot take" with "opinion?" I bet you every single post using that phrase would remain virtually unchanged in meaning and tone after toggling it on

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean hot take is literally just a controversial opinion so yeah it would work as opinion is apart of the definition

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sigher posted:

Remaking LBW would get it off the 3DS and with HD assets, and I'm all for it.

It upscales pretty nicely in an emulator, so they wouldn't really have to do much beyond the textures/sprites/font to sell it.
Same for the OoT and MM remakes, really.

Not that I need to play the n64 Zelda's again at this point in my life but it seems like pretty low-hanging fruit to put out a 2pack of those

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who is over analyzing or projecting.

Like you tubers or something.

That’s how you get the views

I dunno, you can open any page of the fire emblem thread and see someone talking about how Leonie is so deep or how Mercedes is actually transgender.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Oscar Wild posted:

Anyone play "Blasphemous". Its a mediocre metrodvania. The art style is pretty neat for a teenage gothic type. The platforming is a little floaty and it unfortunately has some pretty demanding areas. Not Hollow Knight white palace hard but the character isnt as precise as I would want them to be. The combat is pretty cool. It seems like a sold B to B- kind of game. Not worth adding to a huge backlog but if you want some very metal arty platforming you could do worse.

A couple of us a have been discussing it in the game of the month thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898614

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

I dunno, you can open any page of the fire emblem thread and see someone talking about how Leonie is so deep or how Mercedes is actually transgender.

That Mercedes stuff was in fact just fans on twitter having fun, nobody seriously thought that the writers meant for her to be trans

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

Oh that’s just generally any medium people like reading into poo poo, it can get weird but it’s mostly harmless

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Andrast posted:

How many fire emblems have you played because that is extremely not true

I can understand that opinion if your experience with fire emblem is like Awakening, Birthright and SoV but not really otherwise

I did play the GBA one with Lyn, and Path of Radiance, but haven't revisited them, so it's easily been over a decade for each and it's entirely possible the more recent games are overriding that in my mind. I feel like in the more recent ones, the combat is generally "move the unit that's strong against an enemy type so it attacks that enemy type, unless you've leveled up some of your dudes a lot, then just move your strongest dudes wherever you want".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I did play the GBA one with Lyn, and Path of Radiance, but haven't revisited them, so it's easily been over a decade for each and it's entirely possible the more recent games are overriding that in my mind. I feel like in the more recent ones, the combat is generally "move the unit that's strong against an enemy type so it attacks that enemy type, unless you've leveled up some of your dudes a lot, then just move your strongest dudes wherever you want".

Yeah the 3DS games (barring Conquest) were mostly that so I get where you are coming from.

Three houses is really easy so it's get very deep either (before the new maddening difficulty at least).

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Fire Emblem Three houses is my first Fire Emblem game and I was surprised by how much I love all my children.

KingSlime posted:

I mean yes you get attached to them but thats because they have cool/cute little graphics. Can you name any remotely interesting fire emblem character whose personality goes past "he's a brave lad" or "she's shy but strong inside"?

I finished one of the routes and I can name a few, but I won't use their names just in case someone is still playing and wants to be surprised by the character development.

You have someone who is suffering from serve PTSD and survivors guilt and is obsessed with what he believes is his duty too the voices of the dead.

You have one who on the surface is a simple heartbreaking womanizer, but once you get to know him you realize he is unconsciously lashing out at women because his low self esteem forces him to see himself as nothing more than a breeding stallion who exists to bring magical noble babies into the world.

Another at first seems like the rude lone wolf who's obsessed with strength stereotype, but the truth is he despises the whole system that depends on people putting the concept of a "Loyal Knight" on a pedestal, because the very idea of blind obedience to your lord cost him his brother, and he was never allowed to grieve since everyone was too busy talking about how great it was he died defending his lord like a proper knight should.

And I honestly found the little "Where are they now" messages that showed which of them got together at end to be really sweet.

I could go on, but even only playing as one house and recruiting only two people from outside I ran into several characters I really liked.

So I honestly find the idea that you only get attatched to them because of their "Cool/Cute little graphics" too be honestly kind of silly.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

I also judge video game writing on the same level as I would a movie/show/book so maybe I'm just a dumb rear end for having any expectations at all. Video game writing is still in a weird completely underdeveloped spot

This is unfortunately generally true, which is why when a game does good storytelling it's so remarkable. The thing is the writing doesn't have to do much, a game like Link's Awakening has some great story moments, but it's not thanks to the intricate writing, but thanks to the gameplay, and just the story plot itself being intriguing on its own.

Tender Bender posted:

I think combat arts and gambits make Three House's tactics more engaging than most past games just because you have more choices every turn.

The fun for me was more in the restraints the game put on you. I hate how you have so many choices in modern Fire Emblem. You can re-class anyone to anything, and even simple things like durability and the weapon triangle aren't necessary, alongside features like the pair+up in the 3DS games or these gambits here.

I liked knowing I only had X amount of any one type, usually with some significant variation in skills (think the Red Knight/Green Knight difference in Strength and Speed). I think the pared down games were more elegant in their simplicity and needed you to think things through a bit more. Customization in general kinda makes the game far easier than it was with the GBA games at any rate.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s kind of most tactical games, Xcom had the same issues that 2 tried to address, kinda

That's also history for a very long time. What's siege-warfare, if not turtling, or the trenches built in WWI?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Xcom2's UIof sirens and countdowns loving everywhere and a design philosophy of surprise mechanics made it completely unplayable for me. It boggles my mind that it's so popular

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
cranky old man king slime found his latest target

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

At the A's game, and they just gave away a red box switch to some child that could barely hold the box.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bushisms.txt posted:

At the A's game, and they just gave away a red box switch to some child that could barely hold the box.

Jose Canseco for Smash when????

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Mister Facetious posted:

Goose for Smash when????

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It upscales pretty nicely in an emulator, so they wouldn't really have to do much beyond the textures/sprites/font to sell it.
Same for the OoT and MM remakes, really.

Not that I need to play the n64 Zelda's again at this point in my life but it seems like pretty low-hanging fruit to put out a 2pack of those

Yeah, I've played through both OoT3D and MM3D on Citra and they look amazing in 1080p, there wouldn't be much for them to touch, though if they did do even higher fidelity assets I wouldn't mind. I'd love to play through those two games again on the Switch without having to use a touch screen to use the menu and some of the items. I wouldn't doubt if we see a 2 pack like you said for those games.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I’ve never played Link’s Awakening, somehow. I hope it’s still intriguing even if I’ve been spoiled on the ending.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kiranamos posted:

I’ve never played Link’s Awakening, somehow. I hope it’s still intriguing even if I’ve been spoiled on the ending.

There’s so many weird little parts and the game design holds up remarkably well. You should enjoy it if you enjoy top down Zelda.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

sigher posted:

This would be tricky because the map in Link's Awakening "makes sense" logically, everything is laid out to be connected perfectly. LTTP's map is all sorts of hosed up because you're not meant to see certain things and there's strange-rear end cut-offs all over the place. The angle of the camera in the LA remake would make these things visible.

This actually makes me feel a bit better about LTTP's map. I still get the controls confused the whole time I'm playing it, but that's on me. I look forward to getting back to it after LA. I also have LBW's cart that's been unopened since it was released. I'm bad at playing things I buy.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Star posted:

A couple of us a have been discussing it in the game of the month thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898614

Way cool. I just have to say that a lot of reviews mention Dark Souls and beyond the fact that items have lore, it's a bad comparison. It owes more to games like blackthorn or symphony of the night than dark souls.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My SNES controller shipped without them emailing me to tell me so check your order status on the site if you’re wondering what’s going on with yours.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

the dungeons in it are some all-time good dungeons and the music is unbelievable. its very good!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Argue posted:

I was hoping to win $25 eshop credit but I only have half the points of the top-ranked players and I've been playing from the minute the tournament started so it's not a matter of them having played more games. To get as many points as they have you'd need to consistently win around first/second but I have no clue how they manage to do that when items are in play. :argh:

I have over 7k MK8 Online points and played the tourney today thinking I'd at least do OK, and holy gently caress the competition is not playing around. I ended up in the bottom half of almost every race (won 1st once though). I was surprised both by the number of players and by their skill level. No contest, I am not good enough for those twenty five dollars.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

releasing an upscaled 2 pack of the 3DS N64 Zelda remakes is so obvious I have to think it’ll happen eventually. or hell sell them again separately.

Skyward Sword would be a welcome remake/remaster too but they’d have to pretty fundamentally change a lot of it in ways that would be welcome but seem too tall an order for a company as pathologically lazy as nintendo

LA remake is great but I feel like the frame rate poo poo is pretty bad. no it’s not really gameplay affecting but when like your game’s whole Thing is putting a new coat of slick visual paint on an old game such a pervasive and inexplicably janky framerate problem is a pretty big blemish on the product. hopefully it’s something they can patch out soon though. would love to see the Oracle games and maybe Minish Cap remade in this style

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Astro7x posted:

Ugh, maybe I shouldn't get Links Awakening and just play thes 20 SNES games sitting on my switch.

Speaking of which, how the hell did anybody beat Super Ghouls and Ghosts legitimately back in the day? Rewind feature is a lifesaver. I remember sucking at this game as a kid, but I still do today. It's quite different than Contra, which I remember being horrible at but picked up as an adult and beat the thing no problem Ghouls and Ghosts is just brutal

Personally I think the SNES GnG game is the hardest one of all the mainline GnG games. ( I haven't beat the PSP or Wonder Swan games yet. ) On the 2nd loop, the last level before the final boss is dreadful unless you know exactly what to do. Also that games 2nd loop special weapon is the worst out of all of the games. I also think it's got the hardest arremers to manipulate. I think the double jump adds more difficulty than flexibility initially. Someone who speedruns the game or knows how to do that final level well would probably disagree, but from a casual perspective I think it's the hardest in the series.

NES Ghosts N' Goblins is tough, but you can brute force your way through. The US version of Genesis Ghouls and Ghosts is a joke, even on professional mode it has checkpoints before the bosses. The JP version starts you at the beginning of the level.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mandrel posted:

releasing an upscaled 2 pack of the 3DS N64 Zelda remakes is so obvious I have to think it’ll happen eventually. or hell sell them again separately.

Skyward Sword would be a welcome remake/remaster too but they’d have to pretty fundamentally change a lot of it in ways that would be welcome but seem too tall an order for a company as pathologically lazy as nintendo

LA remake is great but I feel like the frame rate poo poo is pretty bad. no it’s not really gameplay affecting but when like your game’s whole Thing is putting a new coat of slick visual paint on an old game such a pervasive and inexplicably janky framerate problem is a pretty big blemish on the product. hopefully it’s something they can patch out soon though. would love to see the Oracle games and maybe Minish Cap remade in this style

You know this is what they would do

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ah yes. Nintendo, the lazy company.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

All companies are a bit lazy especially if they already have control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mandrel posted:

Minish Cap would look absolutely amazing with the tilt-shift stuff they worked into LA.