Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Thanks for the tips. This is my first character I've attempted to do any endgame stuff with. I haven't tested the waters of trading or anything. It sounds like there's quite a grind between where I am and where my equipment ought to be.

Trade is the shortcut around the grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Have you guys noticed how the prices on everything is jacked because the season is dead? I'm using stuff I bought for less then 100 chaos and now similar stuff is going for 9 ex+.

no

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Thanks for the tips. This is my first character I've attempted to do any endgame stuff with. I haven't tested the waters of trading or anything. It sounds like there's quite a grind between where I am and where my equipment ought to be.

A full suite of upgrades will probably cost less than 10c.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Have you guys noticed how the prices on everything is jacked because the season is dead? I'm using stuff I bought for less then 100 chaos and now similar stuff is going for 9 ex+.

no

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

stop saying no the league is clearly dead because that guy said so

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Awesome! posted:

stop saying no the league is clearly dead because that guy said so

Welp.. guess I should stop playing then.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well every piece I could upgrade has the price jacked.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

After awhile you may find yourself unable to upgrade anything. Since the season is already dead.

Ignore this post, Nehru. Not only is it just wrong on the facts, even if it was true that the league had so few players as to make trading for top end gear hard, you are nowhere near that point. Spending ten or fifteen chaos orbs to replace perandus blazon, honourhome, and your jewels will go a long way.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A few things to add:

*Replace Immortal Call with Steelskin. Immortal Call is better if you have Endurance Charges, Molten Shell is better if you have lots of armor, and you have neither of those, so Steelskin.
*Lightning Golem is kind of pointless, since you're not going to be spamming any of your skills. Either stick with Chaos or use a Stone Golem.
*Which auras are you actually using? With EB/MOM, you want to keep your mana reservation down since that's your life pool too.
*You'll probably want to either grab Malediction as your final Ascendancy and/or path over to Whispers of Doom to up your curse limit so that you can ditch the Windscream.
*You can definitely get better jewels than those.
*Assuming you stick with Bane as your 6L (personally, I ran a Bane/Soulrend Trickster in Synthesis; Soulrend was the 6L for bosses or for launching down hallways, Bane was for debuffing bosses or clearing out trash), you'll want Efficacy as your 6th link. Cheapest way to get a 6L is to look for corrupted rares. Will they have the best stats? No. Can you actually afford them? Probably.
*For the rest of your gear, focus on life and resists. For your boots, bare minimum 25% move speed. Every 5% of MS feels so much better than the last one.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Season population does have an effect on the low end of the gearing side also because those prices are little higher also.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I plugged the build into PoB. You have 152% life on the passive tree, which is too low by itself. And if you're going to run Eldritch Battery and Mind over Matter, you should be reserving all of your mana.

So, the obvious answer is to start buying better gear with life and good resists, and get some better auras. It seems that most who go MoM/EB go with Vixen's Entrapment gloves, which are cheap, so get them. Get a Devouring Diadem when you can afford it. Good auras would be Malevolence, Discipline, Arctic Armour and Flesh and Stone (stay in Sand stance)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you use your Jun missions, you can usually farm a devouring diadem yourself. Just get betrayal members to rank 3 before you interrogate them. You will miss out some of their rewards for letting them stay at rank 3 but you will push intelligence much faster.

The new master system is really really good in this regard.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

whypick1 posted:

A few things to add:

*Lightning Golem is kind of pointless, since you're not going to be spamming any of your skills. Either stick with Chaos or use a Stone Golem.
*Which auras are you actually using? With EB/MOM, you want to keep your mana reservation down since that's your life pool too.

A handful of gems (like lightning golem) are just kind of sitting there doing nothing while I figure out more. I use Chaos Golem exclusively. For Auras, right now it's Arctic Armor and Malevolence. But you and Dance Officer seem to be at odds at whether I should reserve as little as possible or as much as possible (and if I'm misinterpreting either of you, I apologize.)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you are using mind over matter, you should have some mana unreserved or else the node is doing basically nothing. 30% of each hit will be attempted to take it out of your mana before it hits your hp. If you have no mana then the node doesn't do anything.

So for it to do anything good, you kinda need your unreserved mana be at least 30% of your hp. With Eldritch battery you can count your ES as part of your mana.

Here is a link of a MoM calculator you should take a look at.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bE0mOtgYsmDx-v2G-6iq-bOsiLp7I_yGMFHYHS__dxw/edit#gid=690621205

It will tell you if you need more mana or ES. It follows the rule of thumb for MoM, you have 30% unreserved mana(or unreserved mana and ES with EB) of your HP.

Eldritch battery changes ES to protect mana instead of health, if it wasn't explained for you.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 22, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A handful of gems (like lightning golem) are just kind of sitting there doing nothing while I figure out more. I use Chaos Golem exclusively. For Auras, right now it's Arctic Armor and Malevolence. But you and Dance Officer seem to be at odds at whether I should reserve as little as possible or as much as possible (and if I'm misinterpreting either of you, I apologize.)

With Mind over matter only, you don't want to reserve all your Mana, since it's your life buffer. If you also do Eldritch battery, your energy shield takes that role back over, so you want to reserve all of your Mana since it's otherwise not doing much for you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

whypick1 posted:

A few things to add:

*Replace Immortal Call with Steelskin. Immortal Call is better if you have Endurance Charges, Molten Shell is better if you have lots of armor, and you have neither of those, so Steelskin.

I have come to learn that immortal call is almost good for every character still because everyone gets 3 endurance charges for free. So you only have to have a gem slot free for enduring cry no matter how low level to build endurance charges. You can still get that free 45% dmg reduction added on top of what level you can get immortal call to.

For a new player, short of putting golem with cast when damage taken, I would just not use the golem as they will have no hp and die alot. If you are gonna use any golem I would say use chaos because it atleast will give you some survivability before it dies from any small hit it takes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 22, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Nehru the Damaja posted:

To add on to what everyone else is saying, decide if you want to be a Bane character or a more generic Chaos DoT Occultist. You can go ham on bane and make it clear absurdly, all the while applying 5 curses on every cast, but it requires a bunch of items. Thankfully not very expensive ones this league. The big one is Vixen's Entrapment so Bane can apply more than one curse at a time without cutting into your damage. Supporting bane with more than 1 curse has some severe diminishing returns on damage compared to throwing in actual damage supports. Upgrading your Windscreams to Windshrieks ups your AoE significantly. Star of Wraeclast rounds out the clear aspects with even more AoE. Most people with have gearswaps for Windscream and the Star for bossing to increase tankiness.

Your tree has a bunch of issues as well. EB/MOM was mentioned above, along with grabbing Whispers of Doom, but you also have points in leech nodes, which don't work with DoT spells. They literally do nothing. Pathing down to Foresight is excessive on most non-CI builds that don't want anything else in the center and Bane usually doesn't. You should grab Golem Commander, it's only 4 points but gives you lots of Life regen and whatever other golem buff you want in addition. Once you do Uberlab and grab Malediction, you'll be able to run 5 curses between Whispers of Doom, Vixen's, Windscream and Malediction, which is about as high as you want to go on a non-support Bane caster.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Even as a bane character you usually support it with another chaos skill. The chaos spells really need to be played together. Another way to scale the damage(and the way people cheese pob dps) is you need a way to apply wither. Either by casting it yourself or with blight with the wither on hit jewel or with a spell totem linked with wither(if you have space also with multiple totem supports so it builds stacks faster).

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 22, 2019

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

To add on to what everyone else is saying, decide if you want to be a Bane character or a more generic Chaos DoT Occultist. You can go ham on bane and make it clear absurdly, all the while applying 5 curses on every cast, but it requires a bunch of items. Thankfully not very expensive ones this league. The big one is Vixen's Entrapment so Bane can apply more than one curse at a time without cutting into your damage. Supporting bane with more than 1 curse has some severe diminishing returns on damage compared to throwing in actual damage supports. Upgrading your Windscreams to Windshrieks ups your AoE significantly. Star of Wraeclast rounds out the clear aspects with even more AoE. Most people with have gearswaps for Windscream and the Star for bossing to increase tankiness.

Your tree has a bunch of issues as well. EB/MOM was mentioned above, along with grabbing Whispers of Doom, but you also have points in leech nodes, which don't work with DoT spells. They literally do nothing. Pathing down to Foresight is excessive on most non-CI builds that don't want anything else in the center and Bane usually doesn't. You should grab Golem Commander, it's only 4 points but gives you lots of Life regen and whatever other golem buff you want in addition. Once you do Uberlab and grab Malediction, you'll be able to run 5 curses between Whispers of Doom, Vixen's, Windscream and Malediction, which is about as high as you want to go on a non-support Bane caster.

This is real helpful, thanks. Is there anywhere I can read about the real lawyerly precise-language stuff so I don't walk into traps like confusing the damage that the Bane debuff does vs. damage that enables leech, attack vs. attack skill, etc?

Tenzarin posted:

Even as a bane character you usually support it with another chaos skill. The chaos spells really need to be played together. Another way to scale the damage(and the way people cheese pob dps) is you need a way to apply wither. Either by casting it yourself or with blight with the wither on hit jewel or with a spell totem linked with wither(if you have space also with multiple totem supports so it builds stacks faster).

Yeah, I got the wither totems in my hat.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is real helpful, thanks. Is there anywhere I can read about the real lawyerly precise-language stuff so I don't walk into traps like confusing the damage that the Bane debuff does vs. damage that enables leech, attack vs. attack skill, etc?

Not really.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki

The wiki is super useful for referencing poo poo, but unless you already have a decent knowledge base, it can be easy to misinterpret information. The page for leech says "Whenever a character with some source of leech hits a monster a leech instance is created." If you don't already know that Damage over Time effects don't 'Hit' monsters, the assumption is that it'd work with DoTs. It does link to the page for "Hits" though, so if you deep dive every term you come across you'll eventually work your way through, but it's generally quicker to discuss your build and get yelled at by players with more experience.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Low population doesn't cause high prices though? More players, more chaos in standard = higher prices.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The gently caress does standard have to do with this?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

whypick1 posted:

The s from ssf, not the s from never play standard I think.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

silvergoose posted:

what are you even talking about

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
MoM (no EB) Mana is an extension to your health pool, and also what you use to cast. Don't reserve all of it! You probably also want to invest in some mana sustain, such as mana regen or leech, so that you're not a sitting duck and unable to cast after getting hit by a big hit.
MoM + EB = Energy shield is an extension to your health pool, and also what you use to cast. Definitely go ahead and reserve all your mana; pretend your mana bar doesn't exist, ES is your mana now. Invest in some ES sustain, such as regen/leech/ES recharge, so that you're not a sitting duck and unable to cast after getting hit by a big hit.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm assuming that "more players means more chaos in standard" means as opposed to hardcore

Because yeah no one cares about that other standard

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, I got the wither totems in my hat.

I'm playing a life based bane occultist right now, you can look at my character for some ideas, should be the only occultist I have

Lots of places for improvement on gear, I think, but it's shredding basically everything I've ran in to so far

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
It's called softcore, why would you call it standard when there's already something called that?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

facepalmolive posted:

MoM (no EB) Mana is an extension to your health pool, and also what you use to cast. Don't reserve all of it! You probably also want to invest in some mana sustain, such as mana regen or leech, so that you're not a sitting duck and unable to cast after getting hit by a big hit.
MoM + EB = Energy shield is an extension to your health pool, and also what you use to cast. Definitely go ahead and reserve all your mana; pretend your mana bar doesn't exist, ES is your mana now. Invest in some ES sustain, such as regen/leech/ES recharge, so that you're not a sitting duck and unable to cast after getting hit by a big hit.

There is like a ring crafting bench that is damage taken gets turned into mana thing also. Or its a mod that can spawn on a item.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ubachung posted:

It's called softcore, why would you call it standard when there's already something called that?

No idea I'm just interpreting

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Because the same doesn't really apply to HC. Prices stay the same almost every league, outside of balance changes, as currency is removed by rips

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Because the same doesn't really apply to HC. Prices stay the same almost every league, outside of balance changes, as currency is removed by rips

I was right!

Everyone except me thought you were talking about standard vs league, not softcore vs hardcore.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Oh god. I just popped a corroded on my thicket bow to see if i could get something passable and hit this delightful mess

quote:

Rarity: Rare
Blight Thunder
Thicket Bow
--------
Bow
Quality: +28% (augmented)
Physical Damage: 58-173 (augmented)
Critical Strike Chance: 5.00%
Attacks per Second: 1.50
--------
Requirements:
Level: 64
Dex: 179
--------
Sockets: G G-G-G G-G
--------
Item Level: 86
--------
Socketed Gems are Supported by Level 20 Vicious Projectiles
134% increased Physical Damage
10% chance to cause Bleeding on Hit
22% increased Damage with Poison
8% increased Bleeding Duration
60% chance for Bleeding inflicted with this Weapon to deal 100% more Damage
60% chance for Poisons inflicted with this Weapon to deal 100% more Damage
--------
Elder Item

I really want to try and hit an annul for more stuff, but oh god im scared. Vicious proj and the poison mod alone is pretty great, right?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yay, I sold my 6 linked shaped thicket bow. I could never really roll the super mods on it so I just rolled some decent t1 mods and it still took forever to sell.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I thought a good part of the market is bots farming the chaos recipe and not actual players anyway.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tenzarin posted:

If you are using mind over matter, you should have some mana unreserved or else the node is doing basically nothing. 30% of each hit will be attempted to take it out of your mana before it hits your hp. If you have no mana then the node doesn't do anything.

So for it to do anything good, you kinda need your unreserved mana be at least 30% of your hp. With Eldritch battery you can count your ES as part of your mana.

Here is a link of a MoM calculator you should take a look at.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bE0mOtgYsmDx-v2G-6iq-bOsiLp7I_yGMFHYHS__dxw/edit#gid=690621205

It will tell you if you need more mana or ES. It follows the rule of thumb for MoM, you have 30% unreserved mana(or unreserved mana and ES with EB) of your HP.

Eldritch battery changes ES to protect mana instead of health, if it wasn't explained for you.

It's not 30% of your hp. Out of every 100 damage you take 30 to mana and 70 to health, so for optimal MOM results you need mana to be 30/70 = ~43% of your HP.

Tenzarin posted:

There is like a ring crafting bench that is damage taken gets turned into mana thing also. Or its a mod that can spawn on a item.

There's a notable that you can annoint for pretty cheap that has 8% damage taken gained as mana. Or just pick it up on the tree right next to the scion life wheel.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 22, 2019

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Tenzarin posted:

After awhile you may find yourself unable to upgrade anything. Since the season is already dead.

lol. prices aren't "jacked", you've started looking for best in slot for yourself and set your standards too high.

silvergoose posted:

SSF has always stood for Solo Self Found. It is assumed when you only say SSF that you mean softcore. This is why the meme is SSFHCBTW because those who play Solo Self Found HardCore By The Way are much like vegans and crossfitters can't wait to tell you about it at every opportunity.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Zenithe posted:

I thought a good part of the market is bots farming the chaos recipe and not actual players anyway.

The economy would be markedly different if the chaos recipe didn't exist. Or if bots didn't exist, but that's magical unicorn land wishful thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Budgie posted:

lol. prices aren't "jacked", you've started looking for best in slot for yourself and set your standards too high.

I already have the best in slot items, for my build. Ones I've looked at are less quality of items I have for double or even 5x the price I paid. I was only looking for slightly better items for myself.