Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
IIRC, Colin Baker's really into crosswords so it's basically a pair of crossword clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Your Boy Fancy posted:

You’re one up on me, then

"Sawbones" is an old term for doctor, and "Hex", of course, means six.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Davros1 posted:

"Sawbones" is an old term for doctor
As in, Dr 'Bones' McCoy. At least until JJ Abrams didn't understand the meaning and came up with something loving stupid instead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Payndz posted:

As in, Dr 'Bones' McCoy. At least until JJ Abrams didn't understand the meaning and came up with something loving stupid instead.

Didn't understand it or just didn't think it sounded cool enough.

"Whoa, no kids today know what a Sawbones doctor is, that's like old school! Let's make it a joke about divorce instead! Now I'll see ya later, I'm going to change the way that ships are numbered as a tribute to my grandpa's birthday! Catch ya later bros!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1175892394082000898?s=20

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I know that Doctor Who by its nature is incompatible with the idea of a "canon," but if there were one it drat well better include that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Voting Floater posted:

A video of that Eccleston panel popped up in my Youtube recommendations yesterday and it's an interesting watch. It overall seemed quite positive, but he can be hilariously intense at times. His response to the typical cute lil kid question begins "my dad was suffering from dementia...".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvjPy6n5hKc

I love how much he shits on Thor 2 in this as well.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/colgreus/status/1176436443394260992

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vnElX3MELg

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

Can't for the in-depth lore on why a pair of sentient floating hands is helping The Doctor.

dis gon b gud

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s clearly the Graak.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I look forward to playing as a Dalek!

If there is no "EXTERMINATE" button to make them shout I will be most sore

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Payndz posted:

That's almost certainly more on Bob Orci or Alex Kurtzman. Abrams didn't write Trek '09.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh poo poo a Doctor Who ga.... oh, it's VR garbage :sigh:

Still, I have to admit that when I saw you could walk out of the TARDIS my first thought was to run around it to freak out about it being bigger on the inside :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Still, I have to admit that when I saw you could walk out of the TARDIS my first thought was to run around it to freak out about it being bigger on the inside :3:

Finally, it’s my go... OH! MY! GOD! My entire understanding of physical space has been transformed!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

There have to be people who are disappointed when they're cast in Doctor Who as someone who doesn't get to be confused about the TARDIS, right? I know I would be, it's the scene I'd most want to do.

The scene I want to do scond of all would be a fun death scene, so they can just introduce me to the TARDIS and then blow me up, I'll be happy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gameplay vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HDo-X-AW0E

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Brigadier will always have my favorite reaction to the TARDIS.

Blind indignation and absolute certainty that the Doctor was loving with him again.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
School Reunion was the worst episode of the revival of Doctor Who.

“Wow. I’m sorry, that’s the worst opinion I’ve ever heard since someone said School Reunion was the worst episode of the revival of Doctor Who!’”

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I really like the version of the intro at the end of that.

I'd also forgotten how much I love Jodie's accent. The way she pronounces "lovely" :3:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Christopher Eccleston will be at Gallifrey One next year. Really.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

One of the early things I built in VR was a TARDIS. Never ended up taking it beyond a proof of concept since someone else started on a VR Tardis project that was further along - but yeah it's drat cool to pop in and out of it and get a feeling for what it truly means for it to be bigger on the inside:

The video I recorded of mine isn't very exciting, but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT6mdlUEFsI

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1177357010553200640

the Short Trips range is on sale at Big Fin this weekend

I haven't really listened to a lot of them so I can't speak for most of the range, but the two narrated by Nyssa and Susan set in the Eighth Doctor Time War era (All Hands on Deck and A Heart on Both Sides) are quite good, the two Jackie/Handy ones (The Siege of Big Ben and Flight Into Hull!) are a nice look in on that relationship with Camille Coduri being amazing as always, and the two-part Jago & Litefoot Revival is an absolute treat for people fond of the intrepid investigators

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cleretic posted:

There have to be people who are disappointed when they're cast in Doctor Who as someone who doesn't get to be confused about the TARDIS, right? I know I would be, it's the scene I'd most want to do.

The scene I want to do scond of all would be a fun death scene, so they can just introduce me to the TARDIS and then blow me up, I'll be happy.

OH MY GOD IT'S...it's...i...tell my wife...it's bigger on the...

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

docbeard posted:

OH MY GOD IT'S...it's...i...tell my wife...it's bigger on the...

He died as he lived, with his wife not believing his statements on size.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Eccleston has been confirmed as going to Gallifrey One next year! :toot:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So where do we start the line to give him hugs?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Right! This is gonna' be fun!

Please ignore that the shirt is too tight and the mirror's a bit dirty.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well show us the boots too!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yes please tell me you got the boots, they're so cool.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Had a double-take at that headline.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jivjov posted:

Well show us the boots too!

Jerusalem posted:

Yes please tell me you got the boots, they're so cool.
One paycheck at a time. This was almost a hundred U.S. Boots, pants, suspenders and sonic will trickle in over the month leading to Halloween. Then I'll bleach my hair blonde and we're off to the races.

Provided I don't wear the shirt and coat together, which is a bit much, I think I can use all but the pants and suspenders as non-costume clothes in regular rotation, but I have to return the shirt for a larger one, because while the XL makes my boobs look fantastic, it shows off a little too much gut and the tight shoulders make me look like a dude.

I absolutely adore this coat. It fits the wrestling t-shirt dictum of "if fans get it, cool, but nobody else will know."

As for the requested boots, do these look close enough? https://www.amazon.com/Top-Moda-EC8...boots+for+women

Edit: Dammit. Those don't come in big ol' trans woman feet sizes. Do you think these work or are they too shiny?

https://www.womanwithin.com/product...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit 2: Also, this kicks rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPZTA0REPEw

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 28, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Too many edits so I'm doubleposting, by holy poo poo, somebody took a bunch of Doctor themes and integrated them into 13's theme so like I am the Doctor is more optimistic and wondrous and while it isn't perfect, it's incredibly musically interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr7gPrElAFQ

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Your excitement is contagious. I'm more than ready for more 13 content.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Your excitement is contagious. I'm more than ready for more 13 content.
:3: Thank you!

It's weird, the way I feel about 13 and Jodie and Chibnall. I don't like her TARDIS. I didn't love most of the episodes, even if I liked them. I miss the bombast of Moffat's big story arcs and the almost amateurish enthusiasm of Rusty's, but even despite all that, 13 might be my favorite doctor because Jodie is so full of absolute joy and like you said about me, that's incredibly infectious. 11 was my doctor and I expected that never to change, but come on. Just watch her go. :)

Add in the fact that I came out as trans the same week she regenerated and I feel such a personal connection to her. So much to the point that my name was Joe and is now Jolene, but for a hot minute I thought I'd change it to Jodie, and the only two reasons I didn't are that Jodie can also be a guy's name and I didn't want that, but also because what if she turned to the be a pederast or transphobe or something, unlikely as that seems. I've been alive long enough to know not to tie your identity to another person.

Look at her go. That's who I want to be.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

You're the best. Go you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jivjov posted:

You're the best. Go you.
Thank you! You're the best for being the kind of person who'd make a stranger feel happy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I agree that a large part of what made the season work for me was that Jodie is just so.... I don't know the right word... so "Doctor" I guess. She's just this ancient old alien having a loving blast palling about with her new best friends and her enthusiasm and delight is just infectious.

The crew is also solid (and Bradley Walsh is brilliant), only let down by the same issue that plagued Davison's where they had enough story/character time for the Doctor and two companions and the third would always just kind of be... there. Yaz mostly got the short end of the stick in the first go through, I really hope she gets more of a chance to shine next time.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Do we have any proper news on Series 12 yet? Not spoilers, but just a firmer idea of when it's airing? The last I'd heard (at the end of S11) was early 2020 which could now theoretically be only a couple of months away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I agree that a large part of what made the season work for me was that Jodie is just so.... I don't know the right word... so "Doctor" I guess. She's just this ancient old alien having a loving blast palling about with her new best friends and her enthusiasm and delight is just infectious.

The crew is also solid (and Bradley Walsh is brilliant), only let down by the same issue that plagued Davison's where they had enough story/character time for the Doctor and two companions and the third would always just kind of be... there. Yaz mostly got the short end of the stick in the first go through, I really hope she gets more of a chance to shine next time.

What's crazy to me is that alt-right edgelords are still posting memes and poo poo about how last season was a 'failure' caused by the Doctor being a woman.